Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

DrakePegasus posted:

I've never watched Mad Men, but I've been led to believe it's entirely about lovely men cheating on their wives and then getting angry when they discover their wives are cheating on them.

Even worse: a bunch of lovely and fundamentally broken people who take solace through working in advertising.

Which makes sense a putz like Rubio (or more likely whichever staffer got stuck with twitter detail) totally misses the point given conservative rhetoric centers around nostalgia for an invented past created by ad companies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeevy Mcgee
Feb 17, 2007

Pohl posted:

I just can't buy into this. Undecided is bullshit, obviously, but I can't buy the too embarrassed line. Something else is going on, it is not embarrassment.

I think they just fancy being part of the brand of voters everyone is always talking about. Or they like coming off as very deliberate and thoughtful. Or a bit of both, really.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Mike Huckabee just posted his pledge to the American People

http://www.mikehuckabee.com/index.cfm?p=mikehuckabeepledge&s=6HOT

quote:

I, Mike Huckabee, pledge allegiance to God, the Constitution, and the citizens of the United States:
I will adhere to the Constitution of the United States.
I will oppose and veto any and all efforts to increase taxes.
I will advocate for a complete overhaul of our tax system. This means passing the FairTax and abolishing the IRS.
I will support a Balanced Budget Amendment to the Constitution.
I will now, and will for the duration of my presidency, promote and sign all measures leading to Obamacare’s defunding, deauthorization, and repeal.
I will oppose amnesty and government benefits for illegal immigrants who violated our laws, repeal President Obama's unconstitutional executive orders, and secure our borders.
I will stand for the sanctity of all human life from the moment of conception until the grave. Taking this unequivocal stand includes fighting to defund Planned Parenthood.
I will stand for the Institution of Marriage and vigorously oppose any redefinition.
I will defend our 2nd Amendment rights and oppose gun control legislation.
I will fight for the United States military to be the most feared, respected, and capable fighting force the world has ever known. I will restore our military infrastructure after years of abuse and neglect.
I will stand with our friend and ally Israel in our shared fight against Radical Islam.
I will do everything in my power to prevent Iran from obtaining nuclear capability.
I will end the national disgrace of failing to properly care for our veterans.
I will protect Social Security and Medicare and never rob seniors of the benefits they were promised and forced to pay for.
I will fight to kill Common Core and restore common sense. Education is a family function - not a federal function.
I will support the elevation of none but faithful constitutionalists as judges or justices. They must be committed to restraint and applying the original meaning of the Constitution, not legislating from the bench.
I will fight for term limits for members of Congress and judges.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

God I love the race to the right :getin:

Embrace your own obsolescence, GOP.

And I'm not sure if it's been posted here yet (didn't see it in a search of the last page), but Jeb is coming out for the traditional marriage camp, it seems.

http://www.nytimes.com/politics/first-draft/2015/05/17/jeb-bush-takes-tougher-stance-against-same-sex-marriage/?_r=0

Which is pretty hilarious because it'll screw him over in the general election assuming he wins the nomination. Are there any pro-gay marriage GOP candidates at all? I figured we'd get a couple this time around, and that Jeb would be one of them.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Looks like uninformed spiteful morons finally have their ideal candidate.

Carson is going to have to seriously step up his game.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Graham will announce June 1st

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2015/05/17/lindsey-graham-to-provide-very-important-update-on-2016-plans-monday/

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Get your Grahm on

That sort of answers my above question.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Huh, they someone made him look more gay than usual.

Maybe he'll reveal that Bob Schieffer has been his secret lover for thirty years and is retiring from the show to be Graham's First Dandy when he gets elected.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

So...gently caress the poors, Israel uber Alles, and now begins 1000 years of Christian Taliban darkness?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Somebody's been reinforcing the echo chamber, and I love it :getin:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Alter Ego posted:

So...gently caress the poors, Israel uber Alles, and now begins 1000 years of Christian Taliban darkness?

So he's running as a moderate Republican then?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

FairTax, MiniLuv, DoubleThink, AmCap, etc.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Huck couldn't make it four lines without contradicting himself.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

comes along bort posted:

Even worse: a bunch of lovely and fundamentally broken people who take solace through working in advertising.

Which makes sense a putz like Rubio (or more likely whichever staffer got stuck with twitter detail) totally misses the point given conservative rhetoric centers around nostalgia for an invented past created by ad companies.

It's doubly hilarious because the whole point of Mad Men is that everything, the people and the era, is a sham. The 50's and 60's are presented as idyllic eras before Americans lost faith in business and government, social turbulence divided the country, and the American dream felt out of reach. In reality, it sucked for most people and the woman, gays, minorities, and disadvantaged white men are just written out of the narrative.

Don Draper seems like a god. He's wealthy, successful, intelligent, a war hero, came from nothing, and has a beautiful wife and kids. He is the iconic 50's and 60's success story. Just like the whole era he turns out to be a sham too. His name isn't even Don Draper, his wife and kids hate him, he has a toxic relationship with women, his job is killing him, he wasn't a war hero, and even when he thinks he is being progressive and taking a stand, he still ends up being completely unable to empathize with anyone else. He is basically surrounded by people, but completely alone.

Apparently the message Rubio took away from the show is that the sham was actually great and we should go back to pretending.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It's doubly hilarious because the whole point of Mad Men is that everything, the people and the era, is a sham. The 50's and 60's are presented as idyllic eras before Americans lost faith in business and government, social turbulence divided the country, and the American dream felt out of reach. In reality, it sucked for most people and the woman, gays, minorities, and disadvantaged white men are just written out of the narrative.

Don Draper seems like a god. He's wealthy, successful, intelligent, a war hero, came from nothing, and has a beautiful wife and kids. He is the iconic 50's and 60's success story. Just like the whole era he turns out to be a sham too. His name isn't even Don Draper, his wife and kids hate him, he has a toxic relationship with women, his job is killing him, he wasn't a war hero, and even when he thinks he is being progressive and taking a stand, he still ends up being completely unable to empathize with anyone else. He is basically surrounded by people, but completely alone.

Apparently the message Rubio took away from the show is that the sham was actually great and we should go back to pretending.

It fits in well with the entire Republican Party, since their entire platform is based around marketing "Remember the 1950s? Let's go back to that" to people who don't know the difference.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Most of this is pretty standard Republican rhetoric, but the line about term limits caught me off guard. Did I miss that being a common Republican position somehow?

amanasleep
May 21, 2008
MARCO RUBIO: DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I agree with him somewhat on Judges at least at the SCOTUS level. The fact that we have a person that was appointed by Ronald Reagan almost twenty years ago as part of a panel made up of just nine people with a huge amount of power to overturn laws or rule them in ways that make almost new ones is crazy to me. I could see allowing some sort of two presidents term or something (so when Bush 2 was elected, anyone appointed by Reagan would be done) since the system has no real way of dealing with incompetent/currupt justices or the people getting fed up and electing governments that can off set their power other than hoping they have a heart attack or get hit by a bus.

I'm sure Huckabee is really complaining about getting rid of the liberal Federal judges that are ruling pro on gay marriage but I do think the SCOTUS doesn't really have a good check on its power.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 18, 2015

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Personally I'm glad Christie is talking about wanting a bigger military and more interventions. It means my dad won't vote for his fatass.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/christie-call-larger-military-us-intervention-31118704

Darkman Fanpage fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 18, 2015

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

King of Solomon posted:

Most of this is pretty standard Republican rhetoric, but the line about term limits caught me off guard. Did I miss that being a common Republican position somehow?

It's basically an attempt to more easily stack Congress with less RINO-y politicians, in their view. The older politicians have annoying perspectives on "compromise" and don't usually share the ridiculous views that many of their constituents now do. Any attempt to unseat them in the primary is (usually) beaten back thanks to the inherent incumbent advantage. Thus, they'd rather just purge the whole thing every so often so congressmen can better reflect the political attitude at the time, which fluctuates wildly anyway.

This comes up with freepers quite often, but they quickly change their tone when they are told that California's term limits actually caused the state to be taken over by Democrats. Leave it to them to make a full 180 degree turn when they inadvertently help elect traitorous unamericans democrats.

tl;dr i don't like my congressman but i can't beat him in the primary so let's just kick them out.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

King of Solomon posted:

Actually, the 'FairTax' (Orwell would be so proud of/disgusted by these people) is the one that struck me.

Really? Get rid of ALL taxes and only have a consumption tax? I thought this was an idea that was only embraced by the fringe of the Republican party. I figured it wasn't possible, but I guess I'm still not cynical enough when it comes to American politics...

Feather
Mar 1, 2003
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

Pohl posted:

I just can't buy into this. Undecided is bullshit, obviously, but I can't buy the too embarrassed line. Something else is going on, it is not embarrassment.

Undecideds, like most of the population, are underinformed, undereducated and believe they are more able than they are to think about, well, anything. They are a mix of people. Some are truly undecided voters who basically make decisions the way an animal might (seemingly randomly or based on impulse/instinct/fear) as perceived by an intelligent person. Some are voters who are just too lazy to give a poo poo but also aren't brainwashed enough by either major party to support them no matter what. Others are mendacious types who think they're engaging in deeply clever strategery by loving with pollsters. Still others are people who fancy themselves as being high-minded and thoughtful in spite of the evidence of their own biases and voting records and who earnestly, though falsely, believe they make their decision deliberately after consideration at late stages of a campaign. And there are a variety of others. So it is more complicated than, "I'm undecided."

Cognac McCarthy posted:

God I love the race to the right :getin:

See, the "race to the right" means that even if the GOP lose at the ballot box their ideology wins more than not. That is why we have a conservative party (democrats) where a person who'd be in FDR's ideological circle is considered a fringe far-lefty and a batshit-insanse party of nationalists, anti-tax, corporate welfare loving racists and assorted other bigots (republicans).

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

King of Solomon posted:

Only 90s kids will remember this policy plank!

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Feather posted:

Undecideds, like most of the population, are underinformed, undereducated and believe they are more able than they are to think about, well, anything. They are a mix of people. Some are truly undecided voters who basically make decisions the way an animal might (seemingly randomly or based on impulse/instinct/fear) as perceived by an intelligent person. Some are voters who are just too lazy to give a poo poo but also aren't brainwashed enough by either major party to support them no matter what. Others are mendacious types who think they're engaging in deeply clever strategery by loving with pollsters. Still others are people who fancy themselves as being high-minded and thoughtful in spite of the evidence of their own biases and voting records and who earnestly, though falsely, believe they make their decision deliberately after consideration at late stages of a campaign. And there are a variety of others. So it is more complicated than, "I'm undecided."

See, the "race to the right" means that even if the GOP lose at the ballot box their ideology wins more than not. That is why we have a conservative party (democrats) where a person who'd be in FDR's ideological circle is considered a fringe far-lefty and a batshit-insanse party of nationalists, anti-tax, corporate welfare loving racists and assorted other bigots (republicans).

FDR's ideological circle was far more racist than Sanders, though.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Jindal has announced....

quote:

Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal will announce Monday that he is taking a major step toward seeking the Republican presidential nomination by establishing a committee to formally explore a White House bid, CNN has learned.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/18/politics/bobby-jindal-forms-exploratory-committee/index.html

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Isn't it great if you're a college student in Louisiana to know, the governor has been loving with you, and your school so he can run a failed campaign for president?

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Realistically, how many of these guys announcing will drop off before Iowa? There's just too many people running on the GOP side. It will probably end up being 12-15 "qualified" candidates. That's too much competition for a relevant market share of the electorate.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Realistically, how many of these guys announcing will drop off before Iowa? There's just too many people running on the GOP side. It will probably end up being 12-15 "qualified" candidates. That's too much competition for a relevant market share of the electorate.

I think the RNC said it was going to have 8 candidates featured in the primary debates? I can't find where I read that, though. So I would imagine that many of them, after having gotten enough campaign money, will drop out entirely before Iowa.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

So...he's announcing that he's going to announce forming a committee to explore the possibility of running for nomination.

This is the political equivalent of a five-second preview for a 30-second teaser for a trailer of a movie, then?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Does anyone have his cuts to LSU's operating budget on hand, perchance?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Cigar Aficionado posted:

The RNC wants 8-12 candidates for the early debates and 3-4 after Iowa.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Aliquid posted:

3-4 after Iowa.

Well that's not going to happen. Bush, Walker, Paul, Cruz, Rubio, and probably Huckabee will all still be there after Iowa. Maybe more than that. What is the source for these numbers?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Well that's not going to happen. Bush, Walker, Paul, Cruz, Rubio, and probably Huckabee will all still be there after Iowa. Maybe more than that. What is the source for these numbers?

The candidates may still be in, buts that's the target for who the RNC will let in to events like debates. It's being pretty hotly contested, Carson started raising hell on Friday about the moves to block him and Fiorina from the August debate

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Fried Chicken posted:

The candidates may still be in, buts that's the target for who the RNC will let in to events like debates. It's being pretty hotly contested, Carson started raising hell on Friday about the moves to block him and Fiorina from the August debate

Have they already served their purpose to the RNC?

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!
I wonder how much they'll have to pay Fiorina to quit.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Cognac McCarthy posted:

This is not a repost from 2008 or the government shutdown.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

TheDisreputableDog posted:

This is not a repost from 2008 or the government shutdown.

What's your take on the government shutdown?

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Fried Chicken posted:

It would be pretty bad optics to exclude the only female and the only black candidate from the first debate.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Cigar Aficionado posted:

I'd love it if they made up some rule like only the candidates who place in the top 4 or 5 in Iowa will be invited to the next debate(s) and there's some kind of upset that edges out some of the real contenders for some of the jokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Jeb isn't even trying in Iowa, so that would be awesome. With 15 candidates in the Iowa Caucus, there's a good chance someone can take it with less than 15% of the vote, isn't there?

• Locked thread