Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Super Dude posted:

Is there such a thing as anti-Apple pay, or just anti-NFC in general? I was under the impression that Apple pay was just standard NFC from the store's perspective. Doesn't the Walmart thing use barcodes or QR codes?
Yeah, Apple Pay uses VISA/MasterCard or whatever. CurrentC won't, so less transaction fee. That's why retailers like Walmart don't want people to become accustomed to paying with NFC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I noticed my Best Buy has the new terminals with the stripe reader and the chip slot, so I tried using my amex with the chip and the guy told me that part isn't active.

Of course, I had no idea that it would have required a PIN had it been working, and I don't know how I go about setting up a PIN for it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

td4guy posted:

Yeah, Apple Pay uses VISA/MasterCard or whatever. CurrentC won't, so less transaction fee. That's why retailers like Walmart don't want people to become accustomed to paying with NFC.
That's something of a red herring, though, since one of the benefits for retailers of Apple Pay is reduced transaction fees due to the increased security in using it for payment. The CurrentC consortium wants to use that because it gives them a ton of data on what you're buying and where that no other payment method gives them.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I noticed my Best Buy has the new terminals with the stripe reader and the chip slot, so I tried using my amex with the chip and the guy told me that part isn't active.

Of course, I had no idea that it would have required a PIN had it been working, and I don't know how I go about setting up a PIN for it.
They should have sent you your PIN when you were issued the card. You probably discarded it since, at the time, the only real use for it was taking cash advances from ATMs and no one should be doing that. If you call, they'll send you a new one.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

It probably would have been chip-and-signature, same verification as if you had swiped, except added security because it is harder to spoof than a magstripe. PIN adds a two-factor auth aspect to it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chip_and_Signature

I think signatures are loving stupid and antiquated, anyway. My signature is different every time I write it, and usually it's not legible. Maybe I'm just an idiot.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My signature on credit receipts is essentially a swirl. It really doesn't matter since they only check something like 0.01% of transactions and anti-fraud detection generally catches any actual unusual transactions.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
What happens to all those stupid paper receipts anyway? Do they actually scan them in somewhere or do they just keep em for a couple months?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

They should have sent you your PIN when you were issued the card. You probably discarded it since, at the time, the only real use for it was taking cash advances from ATMs and no one should be doing that. If you call, they'll send you a new one.

In North America it'll be chip and signature not chip and PIN. I have an Amex that has a PIN for foreign transactions but you can't use the PIN in America.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Michael Scott posted:

What happens to all those stupid paper receipts anyway? Do they actually scan them in somewhere or do they just keep em for a couple months?
The retailers retain them to ensure they have proof in case of a dispute.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

notbrant posted:

I have a 6plus running 8.2 and I had a question about navigating large audio files.

I recently downloaded an audiobook that is only two files. Both about 8 hours long. I have a hard time skipping ahead a little or rewinding a little. Dragging on the progress bar seems to go in about 10 minute increments making me have to re-listen to several minutes over again. Is there a better way to do this?

I know with podcasts I can skip 15 seconds at a time, which is ideal.

Do I need a different media player to accomplish what I'm looking to do?

Edit: Google is my friend, got it.

The music app handles audiobooks pretty well, in my opinion. Just change the media type to audiobook in iTunes and resync. I don't know how using podcasts would be superior.

You can also use audible's app for audiobooks in the music app, and it has more fine grained controls specifically for audiobooks.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Michael Scott posted:

Um this doesn't have anything to do with Apple Pay. Chip-and-pin or EMV (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMV) is how most of the world treats payment cards, and the U.S. has been slow to adopt this technology.

It's superior in a few ways, probably the most important of which is security. If you remember there have been many security breaches over the past several years with major retailers that might have been largely prevented (some cards will never have the chip), if they had already been outfitted with an EMV payment technology.

Allowing you to swipe a card with a chip in an EMV-capable reader would defeat the purpose, so it does prevent you from swiping. Look for a chip icon and a slot at the bottom of card readers. However, some of those chip readers have not been enabled yet and you'll still have to swipe for the time being. The ambiguity does suck.

Walmart went through the hassle of getting new machines all while avoiding utilization of NFC. That's all my post was about.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Question Mark Mound posted:

Heck, there's an Android phone whose solution to wireless card payments is just to spoof your magnetic stripe with some kind of EMP field thing.

That's the Galaxy S6, and it does the magnetic emulation thing in addition to NFC, so it works at 100% of retailers who accept credit cards. It checks for NFC first, then falls back on magnetic. They opted for complete compatibility on all payment terminals, with normal swipe level security on non-NFC transactions.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

noirstronaut posted:

Apple > Amazon > everyone else

Anker > Apple > Amazon > cheap crap

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

fordan posted:

Anker > Apple > Amazon > cheap crap

:captainpop:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So companies that start with an A make good cables.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm a fan of the cables I ordered from AAA Cable Company of Auburn, Alabama.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

noirstronaut posted:

Walmart went through the hassle of getting new machines all while avoiding utilization of NFC. That's all my post was about.

It wouldn't surprise me if an an NFC capable card reader cost slightly more than one without. Walmart seems like the sort of place to care about that tiny bit of margin even if it were better for customers.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

withak posted:

I'm a fan of the cables I ordered from AAA Cable Company of Auburn, Alabama.

I personally prefer AAAA Accessories and add-ons of Anchorage, Alaska.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

MrBond posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if an an NFC capable card reader cost slightly more than one without. Walmart seems like the sort of place to care about that tiny bit of margin even if it were better for customers.

A lot of the newer readers have it built in, just disabled in software. The Verifone and Ingenico ones I've seen have the tap targets under the screen, and if the store has disable it, then the screen just doesn't display the NFC symbol.

For example Target and Panera have the same Verifone readers (at least where I am), and Target's disabled the NFC while Panera's left it on and actively advertised Apple Pay on it.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
90% of places that don't support Apple Pay have the hardware for it but it's disabled for some reason, which surprises me.

MacRumors makes a big deal about Trader Joe's finally accepting Apple Pay, and the podunk chain grocery store in Iowa I go to has accepted it since day one.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Whirlwind Jones posted:

MacRumors makes a big deal about Trader Joe's finally accepting Apple Pay, and the podunk chain grocery store in Iowa I go to has accepted it since day one.
Fareway? That was a shocker to me.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Whirlwind Jones posted:

90% of places that don't support Apple Pay have the hardware for it but it's disabled for some reason, which surprises me.

Even better is your bank not supporting it cause they're small :( I love my Credit Union. They've bailed me out in a couple tight spots so I'm not switching but they're also too small to implement ApplePay.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Hooray!

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MGRM2AM/A/iphone-lightning-dock

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Fareway? That was a shocker to me.
Yeah. On the day 8.1 or whatever update that added ApplePay was released I ran over and tried it since I'm a nerd. It worked flawlessly and on the cashier's end they just rang it up like a eft/credit card.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

That's the loneliest cemetery I've ever seen.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I hope there's a solid chunk of metal under that plastic that the tab is welded to.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
There's not even a groove for it to set in, lol.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

I assume that Apple designed it so the connector in the base inevitably breaks when the mounted phone gets bumped, not the internal parts in the phone. A 10-pack of replacement connectors will be $49.95.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Apple finally made a dock that works with the very cases they manufacture and sell. Yay! :unsmith:

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Hopefully it has somewhat of a weighted base, because you'd probably just take the dock with you if you tried grabbing the phone one day when you're in a rush.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Apple Pay adoption seems pretty impressive, considering the only phones that support it haven't existed for a full year yet. I recently got one of those chip-enabled credit cards but have yet to encounter a terminal that accepts it (even though the physical readers with the slot on the bottom are everywhere).

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!
So at work we're going to replace our landline phones, and the company got us every employee an iPhone - and no, not an iPhone 6 or even a 5S, but a lousy 5C with 8GB in a baby blue colour...

Can't say we're the impressed. Not only is the screen rather small, it's so locked down it's not even funny.

They've blocked installation of new apps (except for the ones which are company approved), you can't use your own iTunes account, they can (and will) read all your contacts, every entry in the calendar, your call list, your text messages and how much data you've used...

So, for the most of us, the phone will be put away in the drawer, and only be taken out when the landline is finally shut down - nobody will take the phone along with them home.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Kidney Stone posted:

So at work we're going to replace our landline phones, and the company got us every employee an iPhone - and no, not an iPhone 6 or even a 5S, but a lousy 5C with 8GB in a baby blue colour...

Can't say we're the impressed. Not only is the screen rather small, it's so locked down it's not even funny.

They've blocked installation of new apps (except for the ones which are company approved), you can't use your own iTunes account, they can (and will) read all your contacts, every entry in the calendar, your call list, your text messages and how much data you've used...

So, for the most of us, the phone will be put away in the drawer, and only be taken out when the landline is finally shut down - nobody will take the phone along with them home.

I'd just leave it plugged in at the office and set up call forwarding. gently caress those polic...ies

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

Kidney Stone posted:

Are you expected to use your phone outside of work hours? If not that makes no sense, wouldn't it be more expensive buying a ton of iPhones just to replace the daytime landline? :psyduck:

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

robodex posted:

Are you expected to use your phone outside of work hours? If not that makes no sense, wouldn't it be more expensive buying a ton of iPhones just to replace the daytime landline? :psyduck:

Well from the sounds of it, given the level of surveillance that they'll be able to do with the iPhones, his company probably sees it as a win-win even if it cost a ton to replace their landlines with them.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If surveillance was the goal, they could have done a whole lot more if they'd gone with a VOIP solution. Just record everything and play it back at leisure. :smug:

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Spend more money and get a better dock

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Snuffman posted:

Apple finally made a dock that works with the very cases they manufacture and sell. Yay! :unsmith:

Is that confirmed? It works with the leather case?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

Is that confirmed? It works with the leather case?

It sticks out of the dock a poo poo ton. There's no way it wouldn't.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

tuyop posted:

I'd just leave it plugged in at the office and set up call forwarding. gently caress those polic...ies

That's what we're going to do - except the call forwarding point, if our employeer wants that, they our IT guys will have to set it up, we're not doing it by ourselves.

robodex posted:

Nope, unless you're management, we aren't supposed to use the phones outside work hours (which is fom 7 in the morning, until 17 in the afternoon, for me it's 7:00 to 14:30).

But hey, the Danish goverment strikes back here - can't expect any big planning ahead :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Kidney Stone posted:

That's what we're going to do - except the call forwarding point, if our employeer wants that, they our IT guys will have to set it up, we're not doing it by ourselves.

Nope, unless you're management, we aren't supposed to use the phones outside work hours (which is fom 7 in the morning, until 17 in the afternoon, for me it's 7:00 to 14:30).

But hey, the Danish goverment strikes back here - can't expect any big planning ahead :/

It's like three clicks to "set up" unless your employer has locked that down as well. Settings>Phone>Call Forwarding.