Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

i made that joke on tumblr months ago :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Cast your eyes away
Brown-eyed for another day
Let the Rutan spray
Down at Fang Rock
Down at Fang Rock
Down at Fang Rock

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Oh absolutely, and I think the fact that Jenna Coleman was initially going to leave the show at the end of season and then requested to come back for the Christmas Special and THEN requested to come back for Season 9 indicates that she really enjoys being on the show and working with Capaldi (who wouldn't!?!)

The dynamic of Clara and Twelve's playfully mocking relationship is great and I hope we see a lot more of it, love those two together. When was Capaldi cast? I can't help but wonder if they did a screentest of Coleman and Capaldi in secret.

Hopefully now that we've gotten the payoff of the whole age thing with Twelve saying he doesn't see Clara's age in the Christmas Special old-age bit (which was obviously meant to be more significant when she was leaving), we can stop with the calling her old thing though.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:44 on May 16, 2015

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Oh absolutely, and I think the fact that Jenna Coleman was initially going to leave the show at the end of season and then requested to come back for the Christmas Special and THEN requested to come back for Season 9 indicates that she really enjoys being on the show and working with Capaldi (who wouldn't!?!)

It really helps when you have an actor who's enthusiastic about working on the show, and the fact that she basically gave her notice and then said "No.. wait, I want more!" is definitely promising.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Ah, so that's where you're up to? I just finished reading your The Next Doctor review.

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009
I just hope Season 9 will be less grim. All that anger and shouting between the Doctor, Clara and Danny made me feel uneasy.

What I'm saying is more adventures, less arguing. The Christmas special was a good start.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

It's being reported that Moffat's signed up for Series 10.

I think one of the problems with Absolution is that it came at the beginning of Briggs' role of executive producer, and one of the things that he mandated that every episode had to be a strict 25 minutes long, whereas Gary Russell was content to let the episodes be as long as they needed to be to suit the story. Thankfully, Briggs has eased up on that, but Absolution feels too rushed.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Bicyclops posted:

I am very excited for season 9. I really hope that this time, they can just lean on the chemistry we saw between Clara and the Doctor in that Peter Pan-like segment of the Christmas episode and just allow the two of them to have adventures together. I understand the purpose between introducing tension between the Doctor and his companion, but I think I just want to watch them enjoy themselves traveling together and dealing with their losses :unsmith:

Honestly, I think having Clara come back for another season is a mistake. That christmas special was the perfect goodbye to the character, with a lovely tacked on ending that wait, its not goodbye after all!

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

MikeJF posted:

The dynamic of Clara and Twelve's playfully mocking relationship is great and I hope we see a lot more of it, love those two together. When was Capaldi cast? I can't help but wonder if they did a screentest of Coleman and Capaldi in secret.

Hopefully now that we've gotten the payoff of the whole age thing with Twelve saying he doesn't see Clara's age in the Christmas Special old-age bit (which was obviously meant to be more significant when she was leaving), we can stop with the calling her old thing though.

Plus the whole calling her fat thing as well.

I also hope 12 mellows out a bit and stops being such a shithead all the time.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

SiKboy posted:

Honestly, I think having Clara come back for another season is a mistake. That christmas special was the perfect goodbye to the character, with a lovely tacked on ending that wait, its not goodbye after all!

Bringing her back opens up the possibility that when she does leave it won't be the most tragic tearjerker possible. I'm getting fed up of companions being written out that way.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

2house2fly posted:

Bringing her back opens up the possibility that when she does leave it won't be the most tragic tearjerker possible. I'm getting fed up of companions being written out that way.

You are so going to love old Who.

:chord: "No aliens on Gallifrey, get the gently caress off my TARDIS!"

:boonie:"Oh, you found a better family unit/meaningful work/purpose to your existence? Get the gently caress off my TARDIS!"

:bahgawd: "You've been trying for years to get the gently caress off my TARDIS! Good! Stay the gently caress off! I shall miss you, Chat.. Chesterton."

Okay, may not that one.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Jerusalem posted:

Absolution
[...] The Doctor immediately begins happily chattering away about where and when they can go next, throwing in the easily misinterpreted comment that things will be "better now". In what feels almost like a meta-reference, Charley rails at the Doctor and accuses him of never liking C'Rizz or wanting him around in the first place (fair enough!), and being happy that he's gone so things can go back to "normal" (again, fair enough!).

I know the mood-whiplash of the scene is meant to be the Doctor's way of coping with the loss of a companion, and the audience is meant to side with Charley's disgust at his seeming callousness, but they screwed up the writing for C'Rizz so much, it's impossible to not agree with the Doctor at face value.

At least with C'rizz gone, that Divergent Universe albatross drops from the Doctor's neck.

I think I said it in the previous incarnation of the thread, but the 8th Doctor main range stories are either good, or awful, with no inbetween. The other Doctors tend to have a much more even spread of quality, it's just odd how unbalanced Eight's stories are.
----

I've been binging myself on the Gallifrey audios. They're pretty compelling, and the voice work is decent - Leela (Louise Jameson) and Romana (Lalla Ward) make a surprisingly good double act. They also manage to balance the politics and action pretty well too. Well worth a listen.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I love how hurt the First Doctor is by Dodo's complete lack of goodbye, and how giddy he is about the fact that he has accidentally kidnapped Polly and Ben.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

CobiWann posted:

Yeah, I'm half tempted to just blow through Memory Lane/Absolution/The Girl Who Never Was just to get past C'rizz and Charley (who I like but agree it's time to go) and get to Lucie Miller and Season 1 of the EDA's before diving back into the main range. Even in Something Inside C'rizz just felt superfluous.

Memory Lane is actually really fun.

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

SiKboy posted:

While true, I think they did the best they could with her last second "no-I-wanna-stay" 180. Hopefully, she'll make up for that shoe-horned ending by working very hard/being exceptional next season, since she'll realize she was nearly not there. We shall see.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It wasn't shoehorned at all.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

2house2fly posted:

It wasn't shoehorned at all.

Except for the part where it implied that the other characters all were still trapped in the dream states

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
All this talk about 8th Doctor audios makes me wonder something. Which one was it that had the part 1 cliffhanger of "The TARDIS has been stolen... by an ice cream man?"?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Memory Lane, and it's a bit sad that I only know that from reading the reviews.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Burkion posted:

Except for the part where it implied that the other characters all were still trapped in the dream states

That's an inference which isn't supported by the episode itself, in they're shown waking up absent Clara. The episode plays heavily on the audience not knowing if Clara is leaving or not, but it's hard to imagine they started writing an episode not knowing for sure whether or not one of the characters was going to leave.

edit: oh hey, immediately after posting I see this:

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-03-05/jenna-coleman-was-originally-going-to-leave-doctor-who-at-the-end-of-series-8

quote:

According to Steven Moffat himself, though, the truth is that Clara was originally going to be written out at the end of series 8 finale Death in Heaven.
"That was her last episode," he tells Doctor Who Magazine. "And then she asked me if she could be in Christmas? So I said, 'Okay, I'll write you out in Christmas.' She came to the read through and did the 'write out' version - and again changed her mind."
"But the truth is I never wanted her to go. I didn't really want Death in Heaven to be her last episode. And with Last Christmas, I'd already written the alternative version where she stayed, and I preferred that version. For Christmas Day it's a bit nicer. Frankly, I didn't want to lose her. She's an amazing actress, and she never stops working to make Clara better. I was very happy to go the extra mile to make sure we could keep her."

so what do i know

josh04 fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 17, 2015

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I thought the last-minute fakeout was a bit lame, but I'm glad Clara's sticking around so I can't get too upset.

I still think it would have been better to have the Doctor's encounter with the elderly Clara end with her saying "what, no, of *course* that dream crab thing wasn't the last time we traveled together", though.

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

josh04 posted:

That's an inference which isn't supported by the episode itself, in they're shown waking up absent Clara. The episode plays heavily on the audience not knowing if Clara is leaving or not, but it's hard to imagine they started writing an episode not knowing for sure whether or not one of the characters was going to leave.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-03-05/jenna-coleman-was-originally-going-to-leave-doctor-who-at-the-end-of-series-8

so what do i know

Can't argue with that. Welp. That's why I'm not a TV critic.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

josh04 posted:

so what do i know

Yeah. That was a thing that happened.

And the key was never Clara herself, but the Doctor. We see him vanish from the Sled, waking up, and then he goes and finds Clara and all that implies from there. So thanks to the hastily added twist, all of those other people are implied to still be head crab fodder. Sucks to be them!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I loved the ending to Last Christmas, that joy and excitement on their faces when they realize they've been given a second chance and can start all over again is handled really well, and the scene of them excitedly running down to the TARDIS like kids on Christmas day running down to see the presents under the tree was pretty much perfect.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

DoctorWhat posted:

i made that joke on tumblr months ago :colbert:

Really ahead of the curve on that decades old joke :v:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

I loved the ending to Last Christmas, that joy and excitement on their faces when they realize they've been given a second chance and can start all over again is handled really well, and the scene of them excitedly running down to the TARDIS like kids on Christmas day running down to see the presents under the tree was pretty much perfect.

Yeah. :unsmith:

The Peter Pan ending fake-out was probably cheating a little bit, but not egregiously enough to hate the episode for it, I think.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Burkion posted:

Yeah. That was a thing that happened.

And the key was never Clara herself, but the Doctor. We see him vanish from the Sled, waking up, and then he goes and finds Clara and all that implies from there. So thanks to the hastily added twist, all of those other people are implied to still be head crab fodder. Sucks to be them!
We also see the Doctor and Clara together absent any other characters at the start of the episode, implying that they have a separate level of dreamstate just to themselves, if the old Clara dream being a Christmas gift from Santa to push them back together isn't good enough for you.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Clearly, since we didn't see everyone on Earth wake up in the episode, it means that the entire planet has been subjugated by the dream crabs, including several companions the Doctor has completely forgotten about.

- Joseph Lidster

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The reason I'm okay with the fakeout at the end is that the episode has been fakeout after fakeout, so one more isn't really egregious.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

docbeard posted:

Clearly, since we didn't see everyone on Earth wake up in the episode, it means that the entire planet has been subjugated by the dream crabs, including several companions the Doctor has completely forgotten about.

- Joseph Lidster

Nah, the next episode another crab will shrivel up, revealing Christopher Eccleston wondering what the hell just happened.

SirSamVimes posted:

The reason I'm okay with the fakeout at the end is that the episode has been fakeout after fakeout, so one more isn't really egregious.

I don't really have the problem with the fakeout in and of itself, so much as the fact that the episode and season narrative works so much better without it. But Clara's also my favorite companion so I can't really complain about Jenna staying on.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Fake out?

Fake up :haw:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
You all realize Clara’s going to just get offed halfway through the season in a throwaway episode by Moffat just to REALLY screw with us, right?

Reference clip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0iNpSpW21Y

Edit - I just realize it's been over five years and I'm STILL pissed that Fox canceled that show...

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 13:09 on May 18, 2015

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The Sarah Connonicles has been the only half decent Terminator thing in over 2 decades

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Jsor posted:

Nah, the next episode another crab will shrivel up, revealing Christopher Eccleston wondering what the hell just happened raving about how the crabs have taken away his dignity and everything else important to him, while Rose is elsewhere in tears, whining to the character-of-the-week that having fun adventures is the worst possible thing imaginable, and that she's only chosen this self-destructive path because she grew up without a father figure.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Well, over the course of two years, I have now heard about 10 years worth of Doctor Who-related Big Finish, which is incredible to think about. Thank you, thread, for making me aware of the sales on the early stuff and getting me hooked.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
As someone who is only HALFWAY through his collected Big Finish works, I like to think that this is partially my fault. :hfive:

Hell, I’d like to thank this thread as well, not only for opening the door to Big Finish by talking about Spare Parts and Storm Warning (after which I decided “screw it” and busted through the wall like the Kool-Aid Man), but the classic series as well. I always kind of dismissed it as “low budget fluff,” especially since the only episodes I had seen before 2005 were Ghost Light, the TV movie, and Arc of Infinity..

…but then I ended up watching Robot and Spearhead from Space and Vengeance on Varos and next thing I know I have a Big Finish collection and a DVD collection.

I blame the Master for this…

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 15:11 on May 18, 2015

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Ghost Light doesn't look low budget :colbert:

It's in the BBC "Victorian Costume Drama" niche

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The Sarah Connonicles has been the only half decent Terminator thing in over 2 decades

Oh yeah what about T2 that ca...oh god that's more than twenty years old now.

Jesus Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

WARNING

YOU ARE ABOUT TO ENTER THE CUBE

ALL FORMS OF TELEPATHY ARE PROHIBITED.

DO NOT ATTEMPT TELEPORTATION UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES

PSYCHIC POWERS WILL BE FORCIBLY REMOVED

(MENTAL SURGERY IS COMPULSORY)

CAUTION

YOU HAVE NO RIGHTS

YOU HAVE NO POWERS

YOU HAVE NO DEFENCE

YOU ARE NOW INSIDE THE CUBE

Paul McGann is the Doctor in Something Inside.

X X X X X

Cast
Paul McGann (The Doctor)
India Fisher (Charley Pollard)
Conrad Westmaas(C'rizz)
Steven Elder (Rawden)
Ian Brooker (Twyst)
Liz Crowther (Tessa)
John Killoran (Latch)
Louise Collins (Jane)

Written By: Trevor Baxendale
Directed By: Nicholas Briggs

Trailer - http://www.bigfinish.com/releases/popout/something-inside-249

X X X X X

Something Inside is…

Jerusalem posted:

.... oh for gently caress's sake he's got amnesia again. :dawkins101:

Yes, I’m ripping off another review, but that’s pretty much this story’s modus operand.  There are some original ideas buried within Something Inside, but for the most part they’re overshadowed with several clichés and tropes that weigh down both the plot and the characters in the story’s first half.  The action, however, picks up at the halfway point of the story and races towards a satisfying, if downbeat ending.

The Doctor has amnesia.  Again.  He admits to his torturer, Rawden, that it’s a clichéd response but that doesn’t change the factor that the Doctor has no memory of how he got there, who he was with, and what this “brain worm” is that Rawden is convinced that the Doctor knows about…

Charley and C’rizz at least know a bit more than the Doctor.  They know that the Doctor and the TARDIS are missing, that they’re trapped inside a prison called the Cube meant to hold psychic soldiers who were declared surplus after the war was over, and that they’re constantly on the run from an unknown entity who has the abilities to rip out a person’s memories before turning their heads inside out…

Trevor Baxendale is one more in a very long line of prolific Doctor Who writers that Big Finish has has tapped for the main range.  He’s penned numerous novels (including Eater of Wasps), short stories, and comic strips as well as an audio story set in the New Virgin Adventure’s continuity, the Seven/Ace/Benny story The Dark FlameThe Dark Flame was a disjointed  cut-and-paste “alien artifact causes people to go mad” story that was buffered by strong performances from the entire cast.  Something Inside mirrors The Dark Flame by using a very basic story, in this case that of the “base under siege by something unknown” kind.  Somehow, this story also serves as a “bottle episode,” a very rare thing for an audio as the characters spend their time either in the interrogation room or running for their lives within the Cube.  However, the characters themselves are incredibly flat and one-note.  A base-under-siege story should involve a small cast of characters, allowing time to be given over to their development.  This way, when one of those characters dies (and they will), the listener has some emotional investment in their demise.  Something Inside sadly has very little in way of character development.  For the first half of the story, all of the secondary characters are doing one of three things – their assigned job/surviving in a high-stress situation, providing exposition, or running for their lives screaming “there’s no time to explain, run!”  Once again, well-used and worn clichés that have been used in stories throughout all of space and time, but when the time DOES come for the tension to ratchet up and these characters to be put in harm’s way or get their just desserts, the listener might not really care about their fate.  Even for a Doctor Who story where secondary characters die left and right, there’s very little reason to work up even a whit’s worth of worry for any of Something Inside’s cast when the script gives the listener so little to work with.

Within the story itself, clichés abound, though to be fair some of the blame should go to Nicholas Briggs who keeps thing movies briskly but doesn’t quite give the story a chance to find any narrative footing early on.   Even for a base under siege story, there’s a LOT of running involved for the first half of the serial and a good bit in the second half as well.  Now, throw in amnesia.  Amnesia is a tried and true literary device that has been used time and time again through history, so there’s nothing wrong with using it in a story.  Indeed, the second half of Something Inside shows us what kind of man the Doctor is without his memories; still someone who will put himself in harm’s way to save someone’s life, still someone who thinks he’s more clever than everyone else, and still someone who has the occasional dark though about someone’s untimely demise, and it’s all done in a way that doesn’t hammer the listener over the head.  The problem with using amnesia all comes during the first half of Something Inside where the Doctor doesn’t remember anything and Rawden tortures him as Baxendale’s script combines two things that never go together.  Torture rarely, IF EVER, works (though I am a fan of the “put a guy in one room, put someone in the room next door and have him scream like he’s being tortured, go back to the first guy, see what he says” method) so the “I don’t know anything”/”Yes you do” back-and-forth felt like there was no real stake to it, especially since the Doctor really DIDN’T know anything.  The Doctor didn’t know anything in the 1996 television movie, lost his memory due to a distortion in the Time Vortex Minuet in Hell, had memories of a pair of previous companions ripped away from him by Davros (Terror Firma), gets attacked by a brain worm (Something Inside), and it’s going to happen to him at least once again in the future (the Eighth Doctor Adventure Orbis).  The fact that the Doctor has amnesia AGAIN, especially so soon after Terror Firma, makes that fact less of a “oh, no, what will happen to the Doctor’s memories” moment and more of a “oh, COME ON” moment.  Throwing C’rizz in as a “if you don’t tell me what you need to know, I’ll shoot this Eutermesan” method of motivation does add a bit of tension, but without any development beyond “I’m the torturer and this is my assistant” there’s no doubt that C’rizz is going to survive.  It’s not like they’re just going to kill C’rizz off, after all.

To be fair, an example of when a cliché DOES work is during the fourth act, where the cast plays a game of “who’s got the brain worm?”  The scene could have been a real cracker, but without any development on the part of the players, what we get it a still-pretty-solid round of paranoid accusations, especially when telepathy is thrown in.  The Cube, it turns out, is a prison meant to hold “psykes,” human being who were given telepathic powers by a machine to help win a war (On a planet?  On a colony?  It’s never really defined), but once the war was over and it was discovered that the machine couldn't remove their powers. Seeing a legion of psykes who could read mines and kill at a distance as a threat, the leaders built the Cube as a prison meant to dampen their psychic powers, threw the psykes inside, and left them to die. Somehow, something else got inside the Cube, the unseen, undefinable, and incredibly deadly brain worm. Something Inside succeeds in using the invisible creature (whose presence is announced with a incredibly unnerving crackling sort of sound) as a constant threat that could pop up at any time. Baxendale's script also does very well by using telepathy as an unnerving exposition device, as Latch, Tessa, and Jane are able to read the minds of the Doctor and Charley, but completely by accident; their telepathy is so strong, they simply can't turn it off...

Here's a testament to how great of an actor Paul McGann is. Imagine any other actor, ANY actor, managing to pull off delivering the following line. “It's the brain worm!” I mean, seriously, that's a piece of dialogue that ranks up there with one of the all time classics from The Five Doctors...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrvh_jB6c70

But McGann does pull off the line, and does so very well. Something Inside gives listeners a fine performance from Paul McGann as he plays a man who has no memory, but still remember who he is. In a lot of ways, this is the Doctor without any sort of filter. In this story, he's not walking in eternity as his memories are gone, but his personality traits and quirks, the very things that make the Doctor THE Doctor are still there. While being tortured by Rawden and Twyst, McGann sounds almost bored with the proceedings, because he's been tortured by the “best” after all, and doesn't start to care until a complete stranger named C'rizz is brought in to be tortured in his stead. Once the still-amnesiac Doctor breaks into the Cube, he becomes concerned with stopping the brain worm and keeping it contained within the prison. McGann channels both the canniness and the resolve of the Doctor during the third act cliffhanger, as he deduces the nature and the location of the brain and worm and flat out challenges it to a fight. Again, imagine any other actor pulling off the line “come on, then. If you're hard enough.” McGann can. McGann does.

I know I've been knocking C'rizz for most of his appearances in the main range alongside the Doctor and Charley. I should point out that it's been the writing and characterization of C'rizz that I've had concerns with, and not Conrad Westmaas' job in the role. The strong performance with weak material continues with Something Inside. Ever since returning from the Divergent Universe, we've been given snippets of just what C'rizz is capable of. We've learned that the personalities that C'rizz “saved” during his time as a monk with the with the Church of the Foundation exist as voices inside his head. We've learned that he can change color and personality to better blend in with his surroundings. We've learned that, when pushed, he's capable of inflicting great suffering. And in this story, we find out that C'rizz does indeed posses a form of minor telepathy that protects his mind from being probed by outsiders. Put together, all these traits have the potential to make C'rizz an interesting character, but so far nothing's really been DONE with them. Instead of utilizing C'rizz existing traits to drive the story forward, writers seem to just be adding more and more unique characteristics and then failing to follow up on any of them outside their current story. Indeed, the only trait we see from C'rizz in this story is the barely controlled anger that listeners heard in Other Lives. Westmaas is fine in this story, but that's really it. He's just...there, serving to motivate the Doctor to talk, to serve as someone for the villains to bounce questions off of, and having his potential demise from internal injuries serve as a key factor in the Doctor's deduction of the brain worm during the third episode's cliffhanger. The only real highlight of C'rizz's performance is at the very end of the story where he quietly mutters “I couldn't save anyone,” which is a bit ominous knowing what C'rizz's definition of “saving” is.

I'm ready for Charley to leave. It's not a knock on India Fisher by any means, but ever since the events of The Next Life Charley really hasn't had a chance to do anything other than be in some sort of peril, reactive instead of proactive.. The character growth from Storm Warning to Neverland and through her time in the Divergent Universe has just flat-out stalled. Where C'rizz gets just a hint of characterization, Charley is the typical damsel in distress, running with the prisoners from the brain worm for most of the story and proclaim there is no way the Doctor and C'rizz could be dead. That's really it. It's very disappointing to see Charley, Edwardian Adventuress, without any type of story or progress. I know Charley's time with the Eighth Doctor is coming to an end, and it feels like I'm a horrible person to say that I've looking forward to the exit of Charley Pollard and the introduction of Lucie Miller.

The supporting cast...eh. While their purposes are laid out in exposition...lead scientist Eric Rawden, played by Steven Elder, who “did what he had to in order to win the war,” lead torturer Mr. Twyst as played by veteran Big Finish actor Ian Brooker, leader of the psykes Gorden Latch as played by John Killoran and his partner Jane Thirgood as voiced by Louise Collins, and the most powerful of the psykes, the reclusive Tessa Waylund done by Liz Crowther...very rarely do they (aside from the lead torturer, Twyst) actually DO anything related to their roles aside from telling or being told about them. Latch and Jane spent their time running from the brain worm trying to escape the Cube, Rawden attempts to deduce the nature of the brain worm while keeping the psykes locked up, and Twyst...well, tortures C'rizz. Tessa gets the most development as the most powerful psyke, but just barely. As mentioned earlier, this adds very little emotional weight to their actions and demises, especially with Something Inside's “kill em all” ending and a major sacrifice from one of the characters.

The sound crew for this story went the minimalistic route, with the Cube being portrayed as an enclosed metal prison where voices echo in the cavernous space, as well a lot of running on grated floors and the brain worm's presence announced as a roiling, crackling ball of...something that closes in on its would be victims. The synthesized score, though...the best way to describe it would be “the background music to Blake's 7 done on modern day insturments.” It's not a bad score, but it sometimes comes off a a sharp contrast to the stripped down sound effects.

Something Inside is an improvement on The Dark Flame, flowing in a more natural sense with a unique enemy and a rising sense of tension throughout the story. I really liked this story, and over time might consider it one of my favorite Eighth Doctor stories, but there's no overlooking the story's many flaws. The first and second episodes as just so flat and cliched that the listener's interest is barely maintained. The action picks up in the third episode and the fourth episode is very solid, but the low quality of Something Inside first half makes the story one that falls squarely into the “C+” range.

Pros
+ Paul McGann's performance
+ Minimalistic sound work establishes the enclosed Cube
+ Third episode cliffhanger and fourth episode ratchets up the tension

Cons
- C'rizz and Charley are static
- Secondary characters get little development
- Amnesia AGAIN?!?

Synopsis – A unique setting, an excellent performance by Paul McGann and a solid second half help Something Inside after a flat first-half where the Eighth Doctor has amnesia AGAIN. 3/5

Next up - 2197. The fighter-carrier Valiant has just crossed Pluto's orbital path. Its captain is expecting trouble from alien raiders. She is not expecting the Doctor and Evelyn...

1952. The Turret Class locomotive Ivy Lee is hurtling through the night. On board, there should only be two passengers: both of them carrying documents from the War Office...

Colin Baker is the Doctor in...The Nowhere Place.

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 02:30 on May 19, 2015

• Locked thread