Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

sfwarlock posted:

Not to mention the end users, their bosses, department VPs/Directors etc...

Exactly, properly managing those expectations means you're some sort of inscrutable wizard who works harder that anyone else, when in reality you're loving around on the forums after scripting 80% of your job and cherrypicking projects that sound interesting.

Between touching base with people to see if they have any issues, looking busy 'researching future technologies and existing issues', and staying late running updates to software after hours (youtube and expensed dinner), everyone believed I was super busy. In reality I spent unpaid nights and weekends getting everything on the backend working perfectly, then reaped the sweet, sweet benefits of having SCCM and DPM set up and working perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I spend time browsing SH/SC and telling my boss it is professional development and researching new technologies and strategies in the IT field via interfacing with fellow professionals.

She knows its bullshit, but it sounds good enough to let it fly.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

go3 posted:

we hire only licensed custodial engineers

Petroleum transfer engineer
Manufactured food product integration expert
Expedient sustenance delivery manager
Textile distribution engineer
Stackable storage maintenance analyst
Physical livestock life cycle manager

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

:yotj:

Not switching jobs but I convinced work that I'm underpaid and they agreed. Finalized it today.

:feelsgood:

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

KoRMaK posted:

Not switching jobs but I convinced work that I'm underpaid and they agreed. Finalized it today.

:toot: congrats!

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

KoRMaK posted:

Congrats!

If I might ask, how did you do the convincing?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

KoRMaK posted:

Did you get bumped up to at least the field average, not the low end of the field?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Volmarias posted:

Did you get bumped up to at least the field average, not the low end of the field?

How do you even determine that, anyway?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

nexxai posted:

Petroleum transfer engineer
Manufactured food product integration expert
Expedient sustenance delivery manager
Textile distribution engineer
Stackable storage maintenance analyst
Physical livestock life cycle manager

i love you

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

RFC2324 posted:

I spend time browsing SH/SC and telling my boss it is professional development and researching new technologies and strategies in the IT field via interfacing with fellow professionals.

She knows its bullshit, but it sounds good enough to let it fly.

My previous boss was ok with SH/SC because I'd come back with solutions or at least good stories and got work done.

Current boss got tired of me not being able to read his mind and manually put in DNS entries in our external resolver to block the site.

Our splunk server was acting wonky this morning, and neither myself or my coworker have admin rights to it. We didn't even have VCenter access until our VMware guy gave us access, I expect that our access will be removed in the next week or so. Either he thinks we are terminally retarded and cant be trusted, or we are competition.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

CitizenKain posted:

My previous boss was ok with SH/SC because I'd come back with solutions or at least good stories and got work done.

My boss was "those IRC channels own" when I managed to refer like 3 candidates and get some arcane debugging info off SH/SC and related IRC channels.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

luminalflux posted:

My boss was "those IRC channels own" when I managed to refer like 3 candidates and get some arcane debugging info off SH/SC and related IRC channels.

No one seems to care what I do at work.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

CitizenKain posted:

Our splunk server was acting wonky this morning, and neither myself or my coworker have admin rights to it. We didn't even have VCenter access until our VMware guy gave us access, I expect that our access will be removed in the next week or so. Either he thinks we are terminally retarded and cant be trusted, or we are competition.

You aren't competition, you are the dreaded enemy of their lack of productivity aka sunlight. Basically they have mismanaged their poo poo so bad that they don't want you to know.

Also esxi permissions get hosed up around v5.5/related hotfixes and reset sometimes.

So either/or.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Moey posted:

No one seems to care what I do at work.

If the actual work is getting done, why should anyone care?

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

If the actual work is getting done, why should anyone care?

What does the IT dept even do around here? Better downsize those pricks!

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

You aren't competition, you are the dreaded enemy of their lack of productivity aka sunlight. Basically they have mismanaged their poo poo so bad that they don't want you to know.

Also esxi permissions get hosed up around v5.5/related hotfixes and reset sometimes.

So either/or.

Every single Exchange Admin should in our unit have permissions in vSphere to restart VMs and open consoles, but we can't because permissions are jacked. This was raised with leadership a month ago when I encountered the problem. This was validated by 2 of our shift leads and half a dozen other personnel. On Wednesday this week leaderships acts surprised when they are told (for the 5th time) that no one can open a console or start a VM, and when it is brought to their attention that we have repeatedly told them about it they got pissy and defensive. Shift lead got upset and told them off and walked out of the meeting, which also included our new incoming commander. It was an interesting day.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Thursday afternoon a customer gets really upset with us that two users can't connect from one machine to a shared folder on another, and sends us a screenshot that clearly states that the account in question has been locked out . They swear the account is fine, because they say they can log in, so the ticket somehow ends up with the Networking team.

However, this is in our PCI environment. I checked, and about 15 before he emailed us with his problem, we got an alert that this idiot had his account locked out for invalid password attempts. Another idiot yesterday tried to log on to their servers with "domain_user" a couple times, and then "domain-user" when that didn't work. I don't like this customer.

J
Jun 10, 2001

There's no way my account can possibly be locked out, I'm still employed here! :haw:

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
RE: USB chat on the previous page, business model computers will let you enable or disable groups front and rear USB ports in the BIOS, and that can usually be manipulated via a Windows app that can be remotely launched (Dell Command/CCTK).

Or you can tell whoever asked for this feature that they are crazy and it will never work.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!
Quick update on BOFHMan; looks like his stunt is sort of working, because our corporate overlords sent an investigation team to our location, and invited sysadmin to prep some Powerpoint slides and sit in on a meeting with them and the people who set our budget to determine the root cause of the outage. I was not privy to the meeting, but I understand from a coworker that the sysadmin's slides included not just some strong language, but several clipart cartoons of a man pointing an accusatory finger out of the screen. He is still employed; I can only assume that corporate is still too stunned by the magnitude of this near-miss disaster to get defensive and retributive about him speaking truth to power.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
In my experience with trying to lock down usb ports, this

evobatman posted:

Or you can tell whoever asked for this feature that they are crazy and it will never work.

Is the only solution. So many exceptions you have more open than blocked.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

BrainWeasel posted:

Quick update on BOFHMan; looks like his stunt is sort of working, because our corporate overlords sent an investigation team to our location, and invited sysadmin to prep some Powerpoint slides and sit in on a meeting with them and the people who set our budget to determine the root cause of the outage. I was not privy to the meeting, but I understand from a coworker that the sysadmin's slides included not just some strong language, but several clipart cartoons of a man pointing an accusatory finger out of the screen. He is still employed; I can only assume that corporate is still too stunned by the magnitude of this near-miss disaster to get defensive and retributive about him speaking truth to power.

Corporate needs to learn that there are lessons learned the easy way and lessons learned the hard way and they just got handed a lesson to learn the easy way. Hopefully they learn it because the hard way sounds like it will end in Chapter 14.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

We have a pretty strict policy against pretty much all USB devices except for mice/keyboards and one of the higher ups decided the way to lower the number of violations was to buy like 20,000 little plastic USB plugs and require us to stick those loving things in every USB port except two, and then tell the users they're not allowed to remove them themselves and that the helpdesk has to come down and do it :v:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Fellatio del Toro posted:

We have a pretty strict policy against pretty much all USB devices except for mice/keyboards and one of the higher ups decided the way to lower the number of violations was to buy like 20,000 little plastic USB plugs and require us to stick those loving things in every USB port except two, and then tell the users they're not allowed to remove them themselves and that the helpdesk has to come down and do it :v:

So, I don't remove them myself because I'm a team player or something? Or is there something else that prevents removal?

Also: hubs

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

BrainWeasel posted:

That must have been :suspense: for your coworker

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

flosofl posted:

So, I don't remove them myself because I'm a team player or something? Or is there something else that prevents removal?

Also: hubs

Everyone who plugs in a flash drive always says they "forgot" or plugged it in "accidentally" so I guess the point is that now they have to have deliberately removed the plug.

I don't think anyone here has ever been fired for plugging in a flash drive so it's not like it matters either way.

high six
Feb 6, 2010
I work at a small MSP. We got a call from one of our clients a few weeks ago, who is about 2 hours away from the office, saying that they needed someone to come out there and plug a mouse in. They get their mouse. Get another call last week, they need another mouse plugged in. It costs them at least $100ish for us to do this.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

high six posted:

I work at a small MSP. We got a call from one of our clients a few weeks ago, who is about 2 hours away from the office, saying that they needed someone to come out there and plug a mouse in. They get their mouse. Get another call last week, they need another mouse plugged in. It costs them at least $100ish for us to do this.

If I had to waste 4 hours driving to plug in a mouse, I'd be getting at least $400 for it. I also work for a small msp.

high six
Feb 6, 2010
I'm not quite sure what the pricing is, just that it's a decent sum of money, especially for such a menial task. Hopefully the company actually got charged for it so we don't get any more of these calls in the future.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
This is an MSP. The Powers that Be will write off the hourly charge (if this is an hourly client) after they bitch and moan about it, assuming they sign on a contract or something.

High costs do not deter clients when the owner/CTO/president bend over and go full goatse for said clients.

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

Fellatio del Toro posted:

A coworker who used to work for the government guarding Actual Important Secret Data regaled me with tales of epoxying over USB ports. Apparently, you want to do that when the computer is turned off, because epoxy is a short until it dries and certain desktop machines respond to a short in the USB power by literally catching fire. Also, a person whose job was to evaluate (read: disassemble) possible thin clients for purchasing and make sure they can't have removable media connected to them. (spoiler alert: almost all of them can, if you try hard enough.)

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

BrainWeasel posted:

Get this guy an account. He'll fit in real well here.

high six
Feb 6, 2010

MJP posted:

This is an MSP. The Powers that Be will write off the hourly charge (if this is an hourly client) after they bitch and moan about it, assuming they sign on a contract or something.

High costs do not deter clients when the owner/CTO/president bend over and go full goatse for said clients.

Yes. That's how it is here. I get told to up my billable hours but am then told that a lot of the stuff I do isn't billable anymore and what's left often gets bitched about by the client so it doesn't get billed either.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

high six posted:

Yes. That's how it is here. I get told to up my billable hours but am then told that a lot of the stuff I do isn't billable anymore and what's left often gets bitched about by the client so it doesn't get billed either.

So...You're working for free? How the gently caress is that legal?

I'm making the assumption that these billable hours are part of your wages.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

RadicalR posted:

"Billable hours" in these threads typically means work that one performs for a client, which is invoiced to said client. Sometimes management will decide to do favors or other bullshit to reduce the amount of hours that the client will be billed, often due to the premise that the less money the client is charged, the longer the client will stick around. Unless the poster is working on commission, this shouldn't impact their paycheck. If they're a 1099 employee (or whatever the non-US analogue is), their employer doesn't get to decide after the fact what's billable and what isn't.

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 18, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

RadicalR posted:

Nah, it usually means what portion of the work done by the MSP employee is charged against the client.

All of our MSP guys are salaried. Most have to bill their time against specific projects codes (customers, pilots, etc...). And some of us who do solution design and architecture work or dwell in the backend infrastructure don't and the entirety of our time is billed against the MSP itself.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I get that at my work but thankfully the policy is that billable hours are billable hours even if they're written off by the project manager and not charged to the client. The write-offs affect the project manager's KPIs so they always try to skip over telling you the project number or try to convince you not to bill all your hours, but for some reason very few people are inclined to burn their own KPIs for the higher-ups' bonuses.

high six
Feb 6, 2010

RadicalR posted:

No, thank god. It's just time we bill to the client as part of their agreement or whatever. Though, it seems kinda counterproductive. We shouldn't want the clients calling me for tech support at all, because that means something isn't working. But whatever, I'm :yotj:ing to a new job in a few days. I have no idea how this place stays in business.

Cynagen
Aug 3, 2007
I love a lot of things, just not you.
A ticket didn't come in...

Why? Cause I quit, that's why boss. Go eat a bag of dicks, I'll even ship them to you.

Sorry, I have a lot of time now and was catching up on this thread, decided that I never bitched in here, so that's all I have to add. I don't think you guys want to hear how awful the place I last worked for was, most of what I've read here recently is pretty out there and retarded, but I think I have a challenger. Either way, I just reminded myself that I need to order like 4 bags of dicks for some of my former supervisors/managers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Cynagen posted:

I don't think you guys want to hear how awful the place I last worked for was, most of what I've read here recently is pretty out there and retarded, but I think I have a challenger.

:justpost:

• Locked thread