Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
By the way Speedball, I don't know if this is appropriate or not, but if you're ever battling with... bad feelings again, perhaps this song might help. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB4Avdlz3lk

I know that simply hearing it for the first time made me feel better about... some issues.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Ummm, buddy, you Might be jumping the gun a bit. Just a bit.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Stephen9001 posted:

By the way Speedball, I don't know if this is appropriate or not, but if you're ever battling with... bad feelings again, perhaps this song might help. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB4Avdlz3lk

I know that simply hearing it for the first time made me feel better about... some issues.

Wow, that song is Gurren Lagaan in distilled butt-rock form.

I like it.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

XCOM Mission 34: Everyone Will Be Upgraded

Analyzing the body of the “mechtoid” has resulted in some useful data we can use to upgrade our own mechanized units.

Crap. Gonna have to sell off a lot of junk to be able to afford this, but we want our lumbering behemoth of destruction to be as mobile as possible. In fact, let’s get to funding some more upgrades. Brain Spikes for Cam, and cybernetic augmentation for Dr. Gomez!

Deep breaths… deep breaths…
Trust me, you won’t feel a thing.
I can objectively say that being a cyborg is completely loving awesome, doc. You will not regret this.
That’s what I’m counting on.

Looking good, this elerium generator will hopefully solve all our power problems for the foreseeable future. As soon as it’s up we’ll begin construction of the psychic testing laboratory too. That Satellite Nexus should give us enough processing power to lock down two more continents.

Still sore… How you holding up, Eva?
Pretty good. Lots more group therapy with me, Mimi, Yoko and Cam. We all have different faces, skins and hair than what we were born with. It’s… interesting. We’ve all reacted differently, but the fact that more than one person is going through this is softening the blow.
Yoko’s still pretty touchy…
Yeah, the last time I saw her she was griping about how good a counselor Dr. Gomez could be when she was voluntarily having her limbs removed…
Oh, bullshit! Don’t tell me she’s a cyborg-racist, she’s Japanese!
I think any kind of change upsets her, she needs stability. It’s so sad…

Hufff…huff… so, my friend, are you alright?
The spikes feel fine. If any more of those commanders try to get inside my head I’m gonna make their brains explode.
I mean your mother.
Oh. Um… yeah, she’s healing up fine. Got a nasty scar on her side, though…
Hmmm. Let me change the subject. You say you developed a video game, how do you play it?
Oh! Okay, well, you control a little rubber ball, and the goal is to sling it around a room to make glue monsters stick to each other or the wall to immobilize them.
I must play this! I need to keep my reflexes sharp for piloting the SHIV!

TIME PASSES…

…whoah. This is…incredible! I’m a bit awkward, I’ll need help figuring out all the intricacies of cyborg living… Naomi?
Sure. It’s pretty neat once you get the hang of it, Doc. I’ll show you all the moves I’ve learned. You’re gonna loving LOVE rocket boots.

So, what’s it like?
Try to imagine a world where you have every sensation except discomfort.
Ah! And a world where you can run around technically naked and nobody gives a crap!
…yes. That is also quite freeing.

Ladies and gentlemen, our first reverse-engineered Light Plasma rifle has been completed.
YES! Sweet!
It’s technically not any more damaging than our laser rifles, but the area of effect is larger than the pencil-thin beam of light, so it’s much easier to hit targets with it.
I’m ordering the research of a plasma-based weapon our jets can carry to shoot down UFOs, since the bigger one last month almost destroyed our jet before it could down it.
I need the Council to send more scientists soon, this is taking longer and longer each time.

Queen’s ready, sir, but EXALT’s hot on her tail! We need immediate extraction. Cam, get ready to move out!

I have to support you guys, Leroy’s still sick.
I’m going too. I’ve been practicing with grenades. I can cram twice as many into one pocket and increase their effective damage now!
Feeling good… It’s time for my trial by fire.
If you think I’m NOT going to rescue my daughter you guys are crazy.
Yoko, are you going to be okay? We need a sniper, but if you’re not up for this…
No, I want this. It’s the only thing I know for sure. As long as you’re all with me, I’ll be fine.
I know you can do it!

Were these seats always this cramped?
Well, you have put on a little weight, doc.
Hey!
Ha. It’s fine. So… no helmet today, Eva?
I’m feeling braver.

WHEEE! Ha ha ha! Oh, forgive me.

Get ready. Our enemy isn’t aliens this time, it’s evil humans.
Evil humans are even easier to kill than aliens. Morally, I mean.

I’ll back you both up. If there’s any problems just hide behind me, okay, girls?
Of course, but I refuse to slow anyone down either!
Mmmph.

A laundromat, a diner and a few department stores… Hilda, you there?
I read you, Cam! But, uh… there may be a few issues. First of all, I didn’t finish retrieving the data, I need to steal it from some more comm arrays.
Okay, no problem.
The second is… I need to stay cloaked and can’t attack anyone.
Uh…?

I’m naked.
You’re what?!
They were ready for me and hit me with some kind of sticky magnetic dust bomb that disrupted my cloak. I needed to drop everything to be able to vanish. I’ve been running around Toronto freezing my invisible rear end off for over an hour!
Oh, poo poo! Uh…we’ve got some emergency blankets in the Skyranger…
No! I have to finish the mission first. Just… just think of it an an extra operational condition, okay?

Right. Everyone grapple up to the roofs, except Doc. We’ll let these high buildings work for us and pick off any baddies we see.
I’ll use my jet boots!

Wooo! This is amazing!
Humanity 2.0’s pretty cool, yeah. Push over to the other side of the roofs.

XCOM!
What the hell is this poo poo? YELLOW cyborg? Black chick with purple straw for hair? Where’s Bar-Lev?! You said we were gonna be able to hold Leroy hostage to manipulate Bar-Lev!
Shut it! So our intel’s a little out of date, who cares.
Some of them are holding GREEN guns? Why don’t we have green guns, Paul?!
I said shut it! No names!

I’ve lost sight of them… they’re in the diner beneath us, I think.
poo poo. If only one of us had that electrical skin to see through walls…
Queen can scout a bit, right, even if she can’t shoot?
Uh, yeah…

Three clustered Exalt right beneath Hugo, one more around the corner of the department store, can’t see in the diner… dammit, this is crazy…
What are you so modest for, anyway? We all use the same locker room.
I’m not shy, I just want a bulletproof vest between me and the terrorists!
You’ve been slacking off on your “kill a dozen men barehanded” training, Hilda! I raised you better!

How the hell did they track you, anyway?
EXALT has evolved noses, fool! We track people like bloodhounds!
Ha! So that’s why you wear bandanas?
Yeah, well let’s see if their skins are needleproof!

OWWWW! gently caress!
Scatter!
Administrative note: Needle grenades cover a wide area but do not go through or destroy cover. This is both a strength and a weakness, so it’s up to you to figure out how best to use them.
They’re great for harassment anyway!

Hey, suckers! What’s the fourth state of matter?
Plasma?
Very good!
Wait! NO!

GACK! Guhh…
Who the hell is this chick?

Someone we love. That’s all you need to know.
What kinda mushy crap is—

Blugh!

Dr. Gomez? Is that you?!
Hello. How do you like my new body?
…big.
Don’t worry. I’ll try to be a gentle giant.

Ohh, okay, so the yellow refrigerator is Gomez. Really, her? The shrink?
Yoko, some fire support please?

OWW! poo poo! gently caress, what kind of shrink uses her own patients as soldiers?
It’s an on-site confidence-building exercise.

*gurgle*
drat, these guns are easy to aim.

I’ve got the one behind the far corner!

Enemy down. …this is a ridiculously powerful weapon. No recoil, either.
Get the last one that sees me, I can’t safely move until I’m out of their range of vision!

On it!

Run for it!

*huff* *huff* Asphalt is hell on my bare feet…

Oh, bullshit! That was a headshot! I hit you!
My skull and braincase have been reinforced as well. You thought we’d leave our human heads exposed after all this armor?
gently caress.

Gun’s dry. Let’s try out the rocket fists.
Oh sh—

iiitgggghh!
Wow. That was… exhilarating.

*sniff sniff* I know you’re around here somewhere, Queen! You cannot hide forever, and I won’t let you get near this comm array! …aaah, hell! JOE!
What?
You just farted!
Sorry.
You idiot, you’re interfering with my tracking! Gag…
(*snicker*…)

Got the one in the diner. Hugo, suppress the other guy by the second comm relay!

No problemo. Hey, stinky! Keep your head down!
It wasn’t me, it was Joe!
Hey, he who smelt it, dealt it.
I did not!

*flips switch*
loving HELL! They hacked our guns AGAIN! Where the hell is she!?
Heh heh.

Hilda, your job’s done, get the hell outta there! We’ll cover you.
Thanks!

*sigh* Another one down.

Aaaah, just like high school. Flashbangs away!
JESUS gently caress WHY DID I ENHANCE MY EYES TO SEE BETTER IN THE DARK!? AUGH.

Hey, a laundromat, excellent. Give me a second to steal some clothes… aww, COME ON! They’re here, too!?

She has to come through us to get into the Skyranger. Out in the open there will be nothing for her to camouflage against. Heh heh heh.

No, no, not the rocket pun—
ROCKET PUNCH!

…these guys are terrible shots.
Yoko, this guy is looking right at me, can you take him out?

Got him.
Thanks! You’re a lifesaver.

So long, suckers! Cam, I’m locking myself in the Skyranger. Clean up these assholes and let’s get the hell out of here!
Oh, poo poo, she’s behind me? Where!?

None of your drat business, son.
Oh, poo poo! VAN DOORN!

Crud, I wanted him to spin horizontally when I shot him. Maybe next time…

ROCKET PUNCH X3!
You’re getting into this, huh? Heh.
Ahhh… it feels like… justice!
Heh. Nice to have you back with us, doc.
Please, you can call me Alicia.

Hilda, you okay?
Cold, tired, hungry, sore, but overall, pretty satisfied, and very grateful. Hey, Commander, permission to have a movie marathon with Cam?
Granted! This was a flawless victory, team!

Hugo, Eva, and Van Doorn, you’re all getting promoted. Excellent work.

And another special promotion for you too, Queen. Keep it up and I’ll run out of awards to throw at you.
Thanks, commander.
So… they have assets within the United States and Russia, but this document clearly lets it slip that their funder is not based in either one of those nations. Hmm…it’s better than nothing.

“Dr. Alicia Gomez” posted:

My brother loved superheroes. Today I feel like I actually became one. So… I hope, somewhere out there, he’s smiling.

Actually, I think he is.

“Zero” posted:

I don’t know who I really am. I was built by aliens to be an artificial human. I remember being someone else. That’s a lie too, though.

…I’m blank. Zero. But that’s fine. You can go up from zero. I’ll stay with these crazy people and see what that makes me.

“Queen” posted:

My feet STILL hurt. Why the hell is the “regenerate” gene incompatible with the “jumpy legs” gene? Owwww.

A new movie got spooled into the theater. Holy poo poo you guys. Everyone needs go to see Mad Max: Fury Road.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jun 17, 2015

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Keep hiring COBRA goons, EXALT. They'll get those cursed xcoms yet.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
You know, with all the focus on Meld based upgrades and research it had completly slipped my mind that plasma rifles had yet to be unlocked until now... Just in time for a fresh pile of free EXALT lasers.

Yes, plasma beams for the jet gods!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
You probably wanted "Mad Max" instead of "Mad Mad". Just guessin'. Great update, though; punching EXALT goons never gets old. And that railgun mounted on a sniper MEC is hilariously overpowered, especially once she gets the "can fire twice in one turn" promotion.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Stephen9001 posted:

Stephen9001 signature. posted:

Foolishly I shall let all who read this know that I have High Functioning Autism. Please forgive me if I do something rather stupid.

You goofed, but we forgive you Stephen

Speedball posted:

Oh, bullshit! That was a headshot! I hit you!
My skull and braincase have been reinforced as well. You thought we’d leave our human heads exposed after all this armor?
gently caress.

X-com has the jump on Warhammer's space marines I see. :allears:

How on earth can it be easier to aim a plasma weapon then a laser weapon?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Klaus88 posted:

How on earth can it be easier to aim a plasma weapon then a laser weapon?

Weapon weight and balance, presumably. Though, I remember reading a problem with real-life laser weapons being that they have to hold precisely on-target for a long period of time to deliver enough energy to disable their target (things like outboard motors on small craft). XCOM lasers seem to deliver all their energy in a microsecond pulse, and their plasma weapons fire comically slow projectiles, but if their lasers required longer pulses and the plasma shots were faster, then I could easily see plasma being more "accurate" (in the sense of being easier to deliver a damaging shot) than lasers.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

I think what Speedball was going for was that it's easier to hit, because the plasma has a larger margin of error. The laser's probably about a centimeter across, the plasma shot is probably a couple of inches.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
The Light Plasma has an aim bonus, but not any other plasma weapon. Game mechanics wise, the LPL is the same as a Laser rifle with a built in scope.

As for in universe reasons? While your soldiers still properly use two hands, aliens fire that poo poo one handed. So yeah it probably is a weight or handling situation considering I couldn't see a thin man picking up a Laser Rifle and criting me from across the map with it gangster style :argh:

EDIT: I would not consider 'stability' a factor though. LPLs ragdoll twist like loving crazy when aliens die, it's great :allears:... they didn't patch that our right?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 18, 2015

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

There's only two kinds of covert operations and while they take place in special maps, they can get a bit samey after a while. So I got creative.

Having a covert operative who can turn invisible basically puts the game on easy mode, so I thought of some situation that would spice it up, like, "Queen has to stay invisible and undetected the entire time, even when surrounded."

Next time it'll be something else that's different.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Having an Invisible Covert Operative camp out one of the locations that Exalt needs to crack is just hilarious. I love the "Garage" map for that because all the Exalt guys will run for the goal section, making them easy pickings for grenades and explosives. You just have to be really careful where you aim them so as to not detonate the cars or the the computer.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Speedball posted:

Next time it'll be something else that's different.

Next time you have to have the Mec trooper kool-aid smash an exalt dude from behind a wall, unless it's the construction site map with only dumpsters and whatnot.

Actually just OHHYEAH as often as possible.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

silentsnack posted:

Next time you have to have the Mec trooper kool-aid smash an exalt dude from behind a wall, unless it's the construction site map with only dumpsters and whatnot.

You mean like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKxd5SPgvO4

quote:

Actually just OHHYEAH as often as possible.

I think Gomez is now addicted to booshing people so, yeah, she might! Plus the leg servomotor upgrade means MECs will be in a better position to punch people than before.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 18, 2015

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I'm waiting for hugo to mutter 'falco puuuunch' under his breath like the nerd he is whenever he sees gomez do that.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh boy additional MECs for additional MEC action!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Glazius posted:

Oh boy additional MECs for additional MEC action!

Y'know, there IS still an achievement I haven't gotten yet for getting four different MECs with different class conversion abilities...

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I presume this means you've long since gotten the achivement for having a full team of MECs and/or SHIVs with no Squishies?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

berryjon posted:

I presume this means you've long since gotten the achivement for having a full team of MECs and/or SHIVs with no Squishies?

Rise of the Machines, yes, I got it! Went a bit SHIV-crazy in one game...heh.

Somehow I still also don't have the Mutatis Mutandis achievement, that's all six soldiers deployed have at least two gene mods each.

I may need to mutate our mutants some more, possibly get another volunteer or two for modification.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Close... less twist and more fist, but you've got the right idea.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Get ready for a Deluge...

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Oh, this will be glorious!

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Oh yes, Annete is going to fit into XCOM so well.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Speedball posted:

Get ready for a Deluge...

Apres le deluge, MECs.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Part 35: Some Dam Mission— “(Deluge)”

With the completion of the Elerium Generator, we’re going to start preparing for the Psionic Testing Labs, commissioning a few SHIV upgrades, and some more toys for the troops… Now, let’s see how everyone’s doing.

Ehhh… I guess not everyone is as open-minded as XCOM. My grandma threatened to cut my parents out of the will if they, themselves, did not disown me. *sigh*
What? Ahh, hell, I’m so sorry!
Something about “no alien contamination,” but I bet they wouldn’t be bringing it up if I wasn’t suddenly black.
That is grade-A bullshit. You ever need another family, girl, mine’s got plenty of room.

That’s really sweet of you, Mr. Van Doorn, but don’t worry… I’m tougher than I used to be. A lot tougher.

No, you have to rotate your shoulder just a bit to the left to get to the sleeve to open for the lubricant… there!
Ah! I see. Thank you. This means so much to me.
Hey, women of steel have to stick together. I hope we can afford two MEC suits soon, it’d be kickass if we could deploy together.

Ah, great! My rifle. I really missed this, I felt naked without it.
You were naked without it.
Shut up, Zin! You know what I mean.

And I’ve learned a few new tricks to go with it, too. Park me somewhere high and they die.

Hugo, what the hell are you mixing into your smoke grenades?
Incense! Hey, it’s legal. Ask Dr. Vahlen if you don’t believe me!
I think I— oops, Councilman’s calling!

Commander. Intelligence provided by the first and only EXALT operative you captured… in France… has lead to the identification of a vehicle believed to contain something classified as a ”living weapon”. However, we only became aware of the vehicle due to aliens targeting it attempting to steal it back from EXALT. You must act… quickly.
Crap! Okay, I want my heaviest-hitters on the mission.

Team, you’re being outfitted with multiple arc throwers because a sub-objective is capturing as many live aliens as you can, particularly Mutons. Their guns explode unless we capture them nonlethally, and since we’re learning their secrets, it’s much easier and less expensive to capture weapons than make our own. Plus, they might come in handy against that “living weapon.”
I’ve got a new “invisibility grenade” that might come in handy against the aliens, too.
We’re ready. Let’s do this!

Bad news, everyone. The aliens stopped the truck on a dam, and the firefight damaged the structure. The entire thing is cracking apart. This mission will require speed and power.
poo poo. I can’t swim in this thing!

There’s a lot of blood all over here.
I can feel the dam ground shaking. Isn’t there a dam safety valve somewhere to relieve the dam pressure?

Yeah, there’s one over here!
Pretty high, that tower would make a good dam sniping position. Hilda, get set up over there!

poo poo! They’re beaming mutons down on top of us!
I see a UFO overhead! It’s a dam invasion!

Nicked one.
Kill one and weaken the other so I can stun it!

Muton 1 down!

Muton 2 damaged!

Alright, here I go!

Got him! That’s one more free plasma rifle for us. General, Queen, get to the valves.

Good, this ought to give us a few more dam minutes…

Phew, look at all that dam water go!
Stop doing that!
Doing what?

Hssk! XCOM, you cannot interfere with our dam mission!
*thump*

Got one in my sights. Consider him dead.

More coming down, ack!

Eva, lay into that mectoid!
R-right! My laser’s customized for anti-armor. *inhale*

RAAAAAA!!!!

Great work, Eva, I’ll finish him off.

Van Doorn, shock that Sectoid next to you.
YOU LITTLE PIECE OF poo poo! HOLD STILL OR I’LL RIP OFF YOUR ARMS AND MELD THEM BACK ON BACKWARDS!
Reeeek! *thump*

Another Mectoid! AAAH!

Cancel that, Mectoid down. Got a lucky headshot when I double-tapped ‘em.
We still have to keep moving up. And keep throwing more safety valves.

poo poo! Where the hell were you hiding!?

Little rear end in a top hat!

About halfway there, team.
Why didn’t the pilot land us on the other side of the dam? Jesus!

More of them!

Don’t have a good shot, they’re hiding back there somewhere.

Yeah? Well, they can’t hit what they can’t see.

Whoah! I… I can see through myself!
We’ll just camp here for the next 30 seconds, wait for him to make the next move. We’re all fine.

OW! FUUUCK! Leroy, I wasn’t invisible!
Oh, poo poo! Sorry, Cam!
Dammit! Almost burned right through my armor!

Let’s see how you like it, rear end in a top hat!

More dam Mutons! Hit ‘em, girl!

RAAAAAA! *huff*
Great job! One down, one left.

That’s the last of the dam valves. We can’t relieve any more dam pressure after this. …poo poo, now I’m doing it!

Wounded the guy on the truck! Queen!

Got ‘em!

Everyone push forward and reload.
These bodies aren’t civilians, they’re EXALT! We must be getting close to the truck.

poo poo! Two mechs at once!
How many dam aliens are there?!
What do we do?!
Uh… Hilda, disable one of the Mechtoids. The rest, kill as many targets as you can and huddle under the ghost grenade if we need to. And this time don’t leave me hanging if you do!

AAAH! Gun’s dry!

Last dam sectoid down, finally!

Got the first one! Hold on, I can hit the other one with my disabling shot…

Got him, his guns are broken, rush him!

It worked, his interception fire didn’t kick in.

You like shoving green poo poo down people’s throats, don’t you, you overcompensating little fucker? Try some of mine!

Mimi, finish him!

YeeeeAAAAH! I’M CRUSHING YOUR HEAD!

Whew. Didn’t even need the second ghost grenade… but good plan, Cam.
Hey, you gotta have a backup plan or people die. I’m just lucky Hilda’s learned how to shoot faster…
Sorry for not ghosting you earlier. Let me patch your armor up.

Too many dam cracks, this place is going down fast! Get up to that truck so we can see what the big dam deal is!

Whatever’s in here, it was something dozens of EXALT guys were willing to throw their lives away on… be careful!

Careful, something’s rattling around in there.
I’ll get the door.

Easy…

Whoa!
Dead EXALT guy…

Hello? Anyone else in th-

Waugh!

*huff*
OW!

*huff huff huff*

Hey! Hold it right there!

Turn around slowly, please. We’re not here to hurt you, but…

Please. You don’t understand! You have to stop them! They killed everyone!

DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY PEOPLE THEY KILLED!?

OWWWW!
poo poo, not again, aiiie…

Sorry! Sorry. I do that sometimes. I—

…!

You did all this? You can kill them?!
Honey, we slaughter them.

How?!
It’s not that hard. You just shoot ‘em.
Please, take me with you!
That was the idea! Let’s go!

Mission complete, team. Grab that lady and extract immediately. Obviously, she’s something special… a human with minor psychic abilities like the aliens.
She’s lucky I didn’t make her head explode with my brain spikes.

Great job, team. Your skills are continuing to sharpen.
I was afraid nobody would believe me…
You wouldn’t believe the things we’ve done. I’ve seen poo poo that would turn you white.
Or various other colors, for that matter…

There’s more test subjects still out there… oog. I’m going to need therapy for years after this.
Hey, you can be therapy buddies with Yoko! Where is she, anyway?
Melding. She volunteered for a special mission, but needed modification first. You’ll know more soon…

To Be Continued!

“Commander’s Poll” posted:

What’s your favorite movie about psychics?

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Akira is my favorite movie about Psychics, although I guess I'm not the only one

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Commander's Poll posted:

What's your favorite movie about psychics?

I've always been fond of The Frighteners.

That was a good mission. Always bank on XCOM to overcome any obstruction with a good ol' barrage of firepower. Especially when Queen manages to tap one on the head or Cam plugs 'em right in the face... though I didn't expect the General to flap his dam mouth so much with all those puns.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
I can't wait to see how Annette will interact with everyone once you unlock her full psychic power. And how many aliens/EXALT she will kill, I love her unique lines. "Remember Me?"

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I flinched when I saw disable in the same sentence as a mechanical enemy.

W.T. Fits posted:

I've always been fond of The Frighteners.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Section Z posted:

I flinched when I saw disable in the same sentence as a mechanical enemy.

Sorry, want me to change it?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Speedball posted:

Sorry, want me to change it?

Nah, it's cool. That's patched these days. That bug can't hurt me now :shepface:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
My favorite psychics movie is Dark City.

Also, gently caress the dam mission. It happily drops aliens right on top of you and then immediately puts them into overwatch. If you can't kill them on your turn without moving you are going to eat a bunch of fire. I mean, it's a lot more doable once you know how it works, but the first attempt at that mission is invariably going to suck. The time limit means you can't play cautiously, but if you push forward into the wrong seemingly-safe positions, you'll get caught out when the aliens airdrop in.

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

Trees and plants tend to grow on this Pokemon's back because it moves so little. It loves eating food while playing with tiny Pokemon.
Oh, wow...
That was wonderful. How long were you waiting for this mission to to come up?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

My favorite psychics movie is Dark City.

Also, gently caress the dam mission. It happily drops aliens right on top of you and then immediately puts them into overwatch. If you can't kill them on your turn without moving you are going to eat a bunch of fire. I mean, it's a lot more doable once you know how it works, but the first attempt at that mission is invariably going to suck. The time limit means you can't play cautiously, but if you push forward into the wrong seemingly-safe positions, you'll get caught out when the aliens airdrop in.

Yup, yup, the only solution is a combination of overwhelming firepower, mobility and total efficiency. You'll note most of the time I had to absolutely kill every enemy I saw before they got a chance to make a move, because I'd pay for it if they did get a shot off. Especially Mectoids, they're still powerful enough to kill one of my soldiers in one hit. Having to kill two Mectoids at once when they're both on overwatch is a real son of a bitch too, even if I have set up my heavy/sniper kill duo to take 'em out.

Doobeedoo posted:

Oh, wow...
That was wonderful. How long were you waiting for this mission to to come up?

Thank you! A loooong time, heh heh.

The longing got worse after I saw this video again...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwYFZJpBDB0

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Siegkrow posted:

Akira is my favorite movie about Psychics, although I guess I'm not the only one

I don't know a lot of movies about psychics, but Akira owns.

Speedball posted:

The longing got worse after I saw this video again...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwYFZJpBDB0

Oh boy, that brings back some memories.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
I goddamn love Akira. It's just great.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Push. It's the only movie about psychics I've seen recently, but it's not bad.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
BTW if someone answers Speedball's question with that Akira ripoff movie Lucy I will fight you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I thought Chronicle was the Akira ripoff.

• Locked thread