Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
Yes which is why Durkon is not currently suffering from acute vampiri-oh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I am so glad that updates finally seem to be getting back on track. :)

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them

Colonel Cool posted:

You had to say it. You had to loving say it.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Colonel Cool posted:

Welp. See you guys in a year when the next strip is done.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I love both new characters already.

Too bad it sounds like they're going to have relatively minor roles. And annoying that Roy didn't ever actually get around to mentioning they needed a cure. Thank goodness Belkar will be able to salvage this situation with dumplings...

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Pope Guilty posted:

Cooks are a small percentage of human beings and I'm sick of having cooking shoved in my face all the time!
Cooks are already getting a lot more representation than they statistically need in entertainment, this is just getting to ridiculous levels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrGrOK8oZG8

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

Zoe posted:

I love both new characters already.

Too bad it sounds like they're going to have relatively minor roles. And annoying that Roy didn't ever actually get around to mentioning they needed a cure. Thank goodness Belkar will be able to salvage this situation with dumplings...

I think the idea is to get in the cleric's good graces before asking for favors.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Misandu posted:

I think the idea is to get in the cleric's good graces before asking for favors.

I dunno, 'help my friend not be an undead abomination anymore' is probably one of those things any non-Evil cleric would be willing to do, I would think, assuming they were high enough level for the spell.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Something that hasn't come up so far is how only the good guys in OotS (for a given definition of good, since I'm including Belkar) are portrayed as non-hetero or tolerant of it, or in fact almost entirely shown in any sexual context. With how often it comes up, I can't help but wonder about the villains' attitude towards non-hetero varieties of sexuality. So far all we've seen is that Xykon objectified women when he was alive (and was called out for it by Redcloak, possibly subtly linking him to the good side; also consider that Xykon, being a necromancer, is all about literally objectifying women and men and animals and anything he can get his hands on), and that Redcloak was too busy bothering with all that stuff but was, in a short glimpse in Start of Darkness, hinted at to be straight (technically not ruling out bi though). The only villainous character I can think of with a defined sexuality was Tsukiko.

Would Rich write a gay villain? (Probably not, because there's precedent for gay villains whose homosexuality is the primary threatening element, and we certainly don't need any more of that; but maybe a villain who simply is gay? Loving husband who just happens to also do evil acts; or would such a character necessarily need to be redeemed after he's been shown to have a spark of goodness in him?) Or would he write a homophobe who's otherwise a decent person and helps the party out of sheer altruism (and again, would such a character still be shown to get his comeuppance)? What it boils down to is, I wonder if there's any clear link in Rich's conception of the OotS universe that says "good guys are fine with sexual variety, bad guys aren't" and if maybe in a world of grey morality (again: Belkar) that could be shown to be the one single line that separates two sides.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I dunno, I think the idea of a ditzy scatterbrained elven cleric is inherently funny.
Wasn't that one of the companions in Neverwinter Nights?

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
^^^
Then Sabine is the good-est guy of all if any of the above is true.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I think Rich mostly thinks of the characters' sexuality as largely incidental. It's just harder to show it for most of the bad guys since the opportunities aren't there for that sort of thing.

e: Because their screentime is super limited now, we really only see them when the plot is moving forward.

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 18, 2015

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That just brings up the question if a creature that shapeshifts by nature can even have a concept of "natural" and "unnatural" sexual acts. A succubus, to boot - her entire existence is based around getting people of all varieties to get it on with her, presumably by offering them whatever it takes. I figure for someone like Sabine there's not even a question of whether one set of behaviour is more or less moral than another.

Although yes it does make her a villanous character who's presented in a sexual context (by necessity of what she is, but it still counts) and who is presumably totally fine with all the sex things under the sun (again, by necessity). I'm suddenly looking forward to her eventual reappearance in light of Rich's new attitude.

Also, probably disingenous to define characters as good or evil (not the alignments) until the comic is well and truly over, but then we can't leave all discussion about it to our grandchildren.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nah, succubi have traditionally targeted men. Their male counterparts being incubi. You could probably extend them to targeting people who would be sexually attracted to them, but a succubus isn't likely to go after a straight female.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Wrecan was a good dude and it's great to see a cameo of him. Shame he wasn't a lizardman though.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

My Lovely Horse posted:

Something that hasn't come up so far is how only the good guys in OotS (for a given definition of good, since I'm including Belkar) are portrayed as non-hetero or tolerant of it, or in fact almost entirely shown in any sexual context.

Nale and Sabine (including shapeshifting shenanigans)? Tarquin's marriage-a-pult 3000?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Tsukiko was another villain with a defined sexuality. Though I don't think anyone's going to step up to the plate for necrophiles, so maybe that doesn't count.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Tenebrais posted:

Tsukiko was another villain with a defined sexuality. Though I don't think anyone's going to step up to the plate for necrophiles, so maybe that doesn't count.

There's a difference between cadaverophilia and necrophilia, you morality cop! Fresh cadavers obviously aren't the same kind of transgression as a nice cold lich! :argh:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

The half elf the Linear Guild recruited seemed pretty sexually interested in Roy's sister. Therkla and the bandit sorceress both had an interest in Elan.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I enjoyed this update and I'm not sure why. I think I might agree with the idea that it feels "old school"-ish before a lot of heavy gears got turning, this meeting feels a lot like an actual introduction from a game of D&D.

I think it's going to be hard for vamp-Durkon to get around this cleric telling Roy that a vampire is not the same as the original person. If she's important enough to be part of this secret cleric mission, which seems to involve a lot of high priests, vampire domination would be hard to pull off. Maybe it'd be easier to dominate Roy and have him ignore the cleric's warnings? How does vampire domination work, again? Do victims realize they were mind-controlled?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Dolash posted:

I enjoyed this update and I'm not sure why. I think I might agree with the idea that it feels "old school"-ish before a lot of heavy gears got turning, this meeting feels a lot like an actual introduction from a game of D&D.

I think it's going to be hard for vamp-Durkon to get around this cleric telling Roy that a vampire is not the same as the original person. If she's important enough to be part of this secret cleric mission, which seems to involve a lot of high priests, vampire domination would be hard to pull off. Maybe it'd be easier to dominate Roy and have him ignore the cleric's warnings? How does vampire domination work, again? Do victims realize they were mind-controlled?

Victims of vampiric domination are aware of everything that they're doing and that happens to them while they're under the vampire's control.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
That's what I have a bit of a problem with too, vampires have no limit to their dominate ability and the effect lasts for weeks before it has to be renewed. He should've permanently enslaved the entire party long ago. Who cares what he'll remember later after Hel's plans have succeeded.

peak debt fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 18, 2015

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

peak debt posted:

That's what I have a bit of a problem with too, vampires have no limit to their dominate ability and the effect lasts for weeks before it has to be renewed. He should've permanently enslaved the entire party long ago. Who cares what he'll remember later after Hel's plans have succeeded.

He can do it once per day and the entire party, with the exception of Belkar with his lovely wisdom, should have a better than 50% chance of resisting because it has a set DC. Roy and V in particular since they have high wisdom/high natural will save growth and they're easily the most dangerous members of the party to him.

And if he fucks up once, they'll know. Also every time he commands them to do something against their nature, like say helping Hel, they get another saving throw attempt with a +2 bonus.

He can effectively control no HD scrubs basically forever, but the party is dicey at best. Way safer to play along and dominate any inconvenient NPCs they run into.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost
Nope, no limit:

He can literally try 17000 times a day.

And while there is the problem that it's hard to force dominated people to do something against their nature, he is also limited by that restriction in the current situation. And he can still use trickery even after they're dominated to make them believe they're about to do something reasonable.

peak debt fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 18, 2015

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah he can try forever but he's bound to run up against failure before long since he's dealing with a decently levelled party.

e: ^^ Yeah but hell he's using trickery now and it's working with fewer hassles all told.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

peak debt posted:

Nope, no limit:

He can literally try 17000 times a day

Again though, he needs to look directly into their eyes, so he can't just do it while they're asleep, and if he fails they'll know he's trying to dominate them.

Against a high level party that's incredibly risky.

Remember, even Elan's got a 45% chance to resist it outright if we assume he has a negative wisdom modifier and no items to boost his will save. Those aren't great odds.

Zore fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 18, 2015

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I remember back in the day having a big argument with my friends about the "if it's something you wouldn't do you get to re-test" rule for a mind-control spell when one of the players argued that their character wouldn't want to do anything under magical suggestion so they should get to re-test on everything. Oh, for the days of junior high D&D.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Pope Guilty posted:

Cooks are a small percentage of human beings and I'm sick of having cooking shoved in my face down my throat all the time!

missed a trick bud

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Zore posted:

Again though, he needs to look directly into their eyes, so he can't just do it while they're asleep, and if he fails they'll know he's trying to dominate them.

Against a high level party that's incredibly risky.

Remember, even Elan's got a 45% chance to resist it outright if we assume he has a negative wisdom modifier and no items to boost his will save. Those aren't great odds.

Actually, I think you've got your math wrong. If you double check it, taking into account wisdom modifiers, saving throw boosters, feats, spells, the number of actions they have to try to dominate per day and so on you'll find the percentage chance is much closer to whatever the plot dictates.

thespaceinvader posted:

Wrecan was a good dude and it's great to see a cameo of him. Shame he wasn't a lizardman though.

The funniest thing about the strip for me was pausing and trying to recall if I hated the guy or not.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

sebmojo posted:

missed a trick bud

gently caress whoops

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

my dad posted:

Nale and Sabine (including shapeshifting shenanigans)? Tarquin's marriage-a-pult 3000?
Tarquin apparently was intentionally set up as a "straight old white man" archetype so it's not surprising with him. Can't remember too many details about Nale and Sabine and the site has been slow as hell the last few weeks so I don't feel like checking.

Tenebrais posted:

That's actually one of the most interesting things about her portrayal - most villains are heterosexual except the one who is sexual in a way that's universally reviled.

Potsticker posted:

The half elf the Linear Guild recruited seemed pretty sexually interested in Roy's sister. Therkla and the bandit sorceress both had an interest in Elan.
Pompey, yeah; didn't he also tie her up and come on to her in that situation? He's a creep. Although bringing up Julia reminds me that she had a tendency to use her sexuality in a way a lot of people would find demeaning; remember how she tried to get Durkon's attention (and also concluded he must be gay when he didn't respond).

Elan during the bandit arc was a very different character. Naive, innocent and childlike, and as such an adult woman's sexual interest represented a huge threat to him. Therkla, yep - but she also had the whole semi-villain/redemption thing going on in the end.

I don't think character sexuality is entirely incidental to Rich. I'd expect a more or less equal distribution on the sides of good and evil if that were the case, but so far we've got homosexuals, sexuality-tolerant people and stable relationships mostly on the good side, while evil gets heterosexuals (often threatening), Tarquin (who is implied to have his wives disposed of when he gets bored) and a necrophile.

Hey. If Hilgya dows show up again, this might get interesting.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
And we also have several gay side and incidental characters.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

On the other hand, of course, it stands entirely to reason that good (by the definition of alignments this time) people would tend towards tolerance and mutual respect in relationships, and evil ones towards threats, power displays and intolerance. Though I think my whole train of thoughts did start with "hey, is anyone in OotS actually a homophobe" and possibly left the rails here and there.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

My Lovely Horse posted:

Though I think my whole train of thoughts did start with "hey, is anyone in OotS actually a homophobe" and possibly left the rails here and there.

Does this count as Nale being hypocritically homophobic?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Interrupting sexuality chat for a moment to say I love the sign on the inn.

"Big Folks Inn - Human-sized rooms at normal-sized prices!"

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them

W.T. Fits posted:

Interrupting sexuality chat for a moment to say I love the sign on the inn.

"Big Folks Inn - Human-sized rooms at normal-sized prices!"

The sign has hats on as well :allears:

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost
Doing the housekeeping at such a hotel must be quite annoying, how would you even reach the shelves.
I guess they could hire sorcerers with Enlarge Person.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

peak debt posted:

Doing the housekeeping at such a hotel must be quite annoying, how would you even reach the shelves.

Most gnomes can use Prestidigitation, so if anything they'd have an easier time cleaning than humans.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

peak debt posted:

It could be like my very short aunt's house, where everything was normal sized, just... lower. Her counters came up to my thighs.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Gnome owner hires human staff. Or just a few humans to man-handle the furniture and other human-sized parts of the hotel while gnomes still run the reception desk, the kitchen and so on. Or because it's steampunk gnomes they use wildly expensive mechanical golems to dust the tops of shelves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
:siren:New episode of Goblins is up.:siren: