Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

oddium posted:

plus you don't have to wait for the vacuum tubes to warm up

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
god drat world 4-4 in nsmbwii has been kicking my rear end

The pro controller feels really nice too. wish I could use it in Wii mode

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

raditts posted:

I've never understood the backlash against Metroid 1, honestly. Waah, I have to remember what rooms look like and maybe draw a map if I'm too lazy to look one up because we live in the age of the internet.

I hate drawing maps, and I get lost at the drop of a hat. My sense of direction is garbage and my memory isn't much better. Yeah, I can look up a map on the Internet, but I prefer to just have it accessible in-game.

When is NA getting Zero Mission again? I want to play more Metroid, drat it! :mad:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Andrast posted:

You have a really lovely TV.

I seriously do. I'm saving up for a real nice TV soon.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Jarogue posted:

Free watergun if you get it at Splatoon at Target.

*sigh*

gently caress. Now I have to buy it.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Any word of trade-in offers from Best Buy to put towards their Splatoon bundle?

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Silver Falcon posted:

I hate drawing maps, and I get lost at the drop of a hat. My sense of direction is garbage and my memory isn't much better. Yeah, I can look up a map on the Internet, but I prefer to just have it accessible in-game.

When is NA getting Zero Mission again? I want to play more Metroid, drat it! :mad:

Apparently never. It is the only (real) Metroid I don't own. Whereas Metroid Zero Mission Nintendo :argh:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jarogue posted:

Free watergun if you get it at Splatoon at Target.

But does it come with a free cat?

And there are Amiibos.. of course there are. Does Splatoon do splitscreen at all? I'd love to kick my Nieces arse like I do in Mario Kart.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Infinitum posted:

But does it come with a free cat?

And there are Amiibos.. of course there are. Does Splatoon do splitscreen at all? I'd love to kick my Nieces arse like I do in Mario Kart.

Only a little 1v1 mode where you pop balloons and each other

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Watrick posted:

I picked up Paper Mario with my coins. I'm going to play it eventually, but how does it compare to TTYD? I adore that game and I don't want to get my hopes up too high and be disappointed.
It's a little more earnest than TTYD. It's a funny game, but Mario isn't carrying around a PDF and there isn't a lot of internet humor. They don't break the fourth wall as much. It's still set up like a cardboard stage play, but the boss isn't going to eat the audience for hitpoints.

Both Paper Mario and The Thousand Year Door have this thing where every character has new dialog after every chapter, which is pretty huge. The battles might seem a little less complex because TTYD just builds off this game. Music's perfect.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Oh yeah the first thirty or forty five minutes there no such thing as timed hits yet. Don't get discouraged and think it's that simple, you get those shortly before chapter one.

However this doesn't have the special press b with super good timing to nullify damage mechanic, or the flourishes for the audience mechanic.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Wow, I'm still playing Tropical Freeze and it continues to own. I loooooove how there are hidden exits to secret levels, in addition to the more modern "collect everything" unlocks for the K-levels. Hidden exits rule. :allears:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

raditts posted:

I've never understood the backlash against Metroid 1, honestly. Waah, I have to remember what rooms look like and maybe draw a map if I'm too lazy to look one up because we live in the age of the internet.

It's kinda hard to remember where you are when a lot of the level design is long vertical shafts with multiple doors on different floors that all look the same, and horizontal tunnels that connect to those shafts and also all look the same. Here's one room that connects to 8 others that all look the goddamn same!
Oh and there's also the whole "start at 34 health if you die" thing
And the controls are pretty crap
And you can get stuck in lava from falling off a platform that's too tall to jump back onto and be forced to stand there until you die

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Augus posted:

It's kinda hard to remember where you are when a lot of the level design is long vertical shafts with multiple doors on different floors that all look the same, and horizontal tunnels that connect to those shafts and also all look the same. Here's one room that connects to 8 others that all look the goddamn same!
And you can get stuck in lava from falling off a platform that's too tall to jump back onto and be forced to stand there until you die

i just gave metroid another play with my new controller and experienced the bottom thing. that knockback on hit is a killer!

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

My advice for OG Metroid is to draw a map on graph paper and use save states excessively. Thank you for reading.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
My advice for OG Metroid is to find a playthrough of somebody who doesn't talk over it and refer back to their series when you're lost and try to glean where to go next from that. My advice for Metroid II is similar, but I actually was able to get through Metroid II on my second attempt while only looking at an old ASCII map on Gamefaqs like three times.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Play zero mission and not the original metroid because it's not very good.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Edit: /\/\/\ - This guy gets it.

My advice for OG Metroid is to skip it and play Zero Mission instead, cause it's an enhanced remake and is better in every single way.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Idioteque Dance posted:

Not that I'm complaining but I wonder what the deal is with Splatoon being so cheap here on release (£29 from amazon if you wanna pay a little more for a reliable source) and the full price of $60 in US? The equivalent here on market would be £45-50.
i dont know and i dont like it one bit

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

After playing Paper Mario in years I can safely say the game didn't age as well as most people would hope. All the party members get a line to introduce themselves then never really talk again (minus Bow), the boss's don't even require thought to beat and it's just kinda dull.

Not a bad game but TTYD really did improve it in every way possible.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Goombario talks a lot.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

greatn posted:

Oh yeah the first thirty or forty five minutes there no such thing as timed hits yet. Don't get discouraged and think it's that simple, you get those shortly before chapter one.

However this doesn't have the special press b with super good timing to nullify damage mechanic, or the flourishes for the audience mechanic.

The mechanic is there, it just doesn't totally nullify damage (unless the enemy would normally hit you for 1 damage I guess).

greatn posted:

Goombario talks a lot.

Is there some kind of monster glossary anywhere in-game where you can see his colorful enemy descriptions again after you've scanned them once?

Augus posted:

I managed to beat it when I was 8 and never had any trouble with it whenever I'd play it every few years past that, so I guess I'm just genetically inclined towards being mildly good at video games or something.
Key to not having to start at 30 health when you die is simply to not die :c00l:
And I'm not sure how the controls are "crap" when the controls are almost exactly the same in every single 2d metroid game.

It has been a while since I last played it, I guess I'll use some of the leftover CN coins I have to get it on my 3DS.

raditts fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 18, 2015

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
What if Paper Mario sucks and we just think it's ok because it's the same series at TTYD

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Speaking of Club Nintendo, it looks like they slashed the coin cost for the Retro Mario T-Shirt to 350. Do shirts from CN tend to be good quality or are they crap that falls apart in a couple of months?

noirstronaut posted:

What if Paper Mario sucks and we just think it's ok because it's the same series at TTYD

This is the first Paper Mario I've played and I like it although it's linear as hell and I like Mario & Luigi / Mario RPG better.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Yeah Super Mario RPG is a better game than anything in the Paper Mario series. You can trust me, I'm not The Taint Reaper.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I like Paper Mario 64, it's my first Paper Mario game and it's incredibly charming. Maybe once you play TTYD it looks bad in comparison but I like it plenty so far. I haven't played enough to weigh it against Mario RPG but that's pretty stiff competition.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Like I said it's not bad. It's just every boss I remember having trouble with didn't really do more then like... 10 damage to me total. Oh man huff n puff that guy was a jerk and now he's dead in like 2-3 turns. Oh.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

raditts posted:

The mechanic is there, it just doesn't totally nullify damage (unless the enemy would normally hit you for 1 damage I guess).

In TTYD in addition to pressing A with timing to reduce damage by one, you can press B with perfect timing and Mario will do a spin move and completely nullify damage. The original just has the A button press.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Super Mario RPG superior.
Constructicons inferior.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

greatn posted:

In TTYD in addition to pressing A with timing to reduce damage by one, you can press B with perfect timing and Mario will do a spin move and completely nullify damage. The original just has the A button press.

Nullify damage AND hurt the enemy!

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Super Mario RPG 2 would probably be a good way for Square to make people like them again

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

SRM posted:

My advice for OG Metroid is to find a playthrough of somebody who doesn't talk over it and refer back to their series when you're lost and try to glean where to go next from that. My advice for Metroid II is similar, but I actually was able to get through Metroid II on my second attempt while only looking at an old ASCII map on Gamefaqs like three times.

Metroid 2 is a bit easier to navigate than the NES Metroid once you get a feel for how the areas are laid out. It's usually a central temple structure surrounded by some small spin-off caves. It's probably one of the more easy to navigate Metroids once you get used to the lack of color and zoomed in screen.

raditts posted:

I managed to beat it when I was 8 and never had any trouble with it whenever I'd play it every few years past that, so I guess I'm just genetically inclined towards being mildly good at video games or something.
Key to not having to start at 30 health when you die is simply to not die :c00l:
And I'm not sure how the controls are "crap" when the controls are almost exactly the same in every single 2d metroid game.

-I beat tons of games when I was 8 that I'd never touch today. Thing is about little kids is that if they have nothing else to play they'll just play the same game no matter how good that game actually is, and will gladly wander around in circles for hours in a repetitive environment. I mean, I liked Super Man 64 when I was a kid.
-The controls are not the same as the other Metroid games by any means. Samus controls very sluggishly and can only aim in 4 directions, jumping is ludicrously floaty and pretty much a complete crapshoot over whether you'll land where you want to or not, and getting hit makes her bounce around like a rag doll in a Ubisoft game. Kraid's only attack is "shoot straight forward" and yet he's a hard boss because dodging is pretty much impossible with the controls so it's more like stat check than a real boss battle

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Help Im Alive posted:

Super Mario RPG 2 would probably be a good way for Square to make people like them again

I can't wait for Bowser to be in Kingdom Hearts 3 because he was in Wreck it Ralph, then he spins off and makes SMRPG world.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
they should put spider man in kingdom hearts but make it miles morales and have him fall in love w. sora and have sora question his sexuality for about half the game. then make the nightmares actually henchmen of the new captain america. the twist is that the new captain america is also gay – and loves miles morales. so now the final battle isn't about getting rid of evil, it's about luring in love.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

what if donkey kong

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Help Im Alive posted:

Paper Mario was actually intended to be a direct sequel if I remember correctly.

But still, SMRPG was and still is incredibly charming and memorable. It's one of my favorite games on the SNES. It's just a shame that Square and Nintendo act like its existence is some sort of uncomfortable truth, only subtly acknowledging it in passing if they ever even do it at all.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
OG Metroid is a good, fun game, and if gamers from the '80s can figure out how to beat it, then you'd think some babby millenials can figure it out as well in the year 2015.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Mercury Crusader posted:

OG Metroid is a good, fun game, and if gamers from the '80s can figure out how to beat it, then you'd think some babby millenials can figure it out as well in the year 2015.

I beat Zelda 2 when I was like 6. How the gently caress little-me?!

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
You've all become weaker gamers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

elf help book posted:

You've all become weaker gamers.

I play NES games regularly to keep my game strong. And also because they are fun. Fun games are good.

• Locked thread