Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

grimcreaper posted:

Then take a look at terraria: other world. They practicly stole starbound combat system to make the game remotely fun. I'm the alpha trust me.

bruh i'm mad alpha

pound some brews and play some starbound

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

bruh i'm mad alpha

pound some brews and play some starbound

Time for a starpound.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Why is this game still bad, shouldn't it be good yet?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

It's early access, it doesn't have to be good until it "releases", please feel free to buy it though

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Don't worry it won't be good on release either.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

grimcreaper posted:

Then take a look at terraria: other world.
I'd rather not.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Jackard posted:

I'd rather not.

Too late. It's already on your mind. The features are promising and the gameplay should be more metroid-ish. It will eat your wallet and then your soul.

Starbound on the other hand... Its already in your rear end and mouth.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Also it's a third-party game from shovelware developers promising "Tower Defense-like" gameplay.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Gimbal lock posted:

Why is this game still bad, shouldn't it be good yet?

Define "good."

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Vib Rib posted:

Also it's a third-party game from shovelware developers promising "Tower Defense-like" gameplay.

Wait wait wait wait wait.
I was excited for Terraria Otherworld. What's the story on this?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Starbundt.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Malek posted:

Wait wait wait wait wait.
I was excited for Terraria Otherworld. What's the story on this?
TO is not made by Redigit at all. He called himself creative consultant or something, but that's it. The developers of TO have almost solely shovelware in their history, but they also made the console port of Terraria, which is pretty garbage. Lastly they said the game is going to be Tower-Defense-y, with waves of enemies coming at you, so hey if you liked those fun, tedious moon events, buckle in!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

That element is quite obvious in the trailer itself. It looks like you activate some sort of crystal thing and you have to fend off monsters from getting to it for a while. Maybe it'll be some sort of resource gathering mechanic?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

I saw the trailer before and was Not Impressed

Those may be the very things I liked the least about Terraria.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 16, 2015

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Vib Rib posted:

TO is not made by Redigit at all. He called himself creative consultant or something, but that's it. The developers of TO have almost solely shovelware in their history, but they also made the console port of Terraria, which is pretty garbage. Lastly they said the game is going to be Tower-Defense-y, with waves of enemies coming at you, so hey if you liked those fun, tedious moon events, buckle in!

Whelp, money saved then. poo poo. Thanks though for the explanation.

Postmaster GBS
Jan 14, 2013

Yo is this game any good?

Edit: nvm I guess it's a bad game

Postmaster GBS fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 16, 2015

Postmaster GBS
Jan 14, 2013

Postmaster GBS posted:

when it came out

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
seriously though what the gently caress happened? When I bought it a year or so ago it was super fun and I must have put about 20-30 hours into it, finally stopped when they did the last major character wipe. Picked it up again and while it feels like the same game it's nowhere near as fun?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

robodex posted:

seriously though what the gently caress happened? When I bought it a year or so ago it was super fun and I must have put about 20-30 hours into it, finally stopped when they did the last major character wipe. Picked it up again and while it feels like the same game it's nowhere near as fun?

You already squeezed all the fun out of it. The mechanics are pretty much a huge mess so the only enjoyment to be had is pretty much just running through the content, seeing new weird trees and poo poo. Once you've seen it all, or enough of it to get the general idea and get tired of it, it's not worth playing any more.

Also it's way more linear, which makes it harder to do the only good thing, which is running around everywhere looking at all the random poo poo.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Yeah, you hit the hard fun cap which is currently set to 5 hours or so.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

more than anything the devs need to figure out what exactly they want the game to be and focus on that aspect instead of having it be a jumbled mess of things that tug in opposite directions

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Terraria is also poo poo btw

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Ahundredbux posted:

I can still fire up Terraria and have fun with it.

Starbound...not so much.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
nah, you're wrong, it's b ad

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Terraria is okay

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Babe Magnet posted:

Terraria is okay

mods?

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Ahundredbux posted:

The forced linearity of Terraria made that less fun, too. It was cool to find a floating island and get jump boots or whatever, but now you need to finish the dungeon to collect keys to open chests and RRGHGHGHGHHGHGHGHGH.

Why does nobody want me to have Fun In Videogames anymore?

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
the horrible dark truth is that these games simply are not made for me

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

JerikTelorian posted:

The forced linearity of Terraria made that less fun, too. It was cool to find a floating island and get jump boots or whatever, but now you need to finish the dungeon to collect keys to open chests and RRGHGHGHGHHGHGHGHGH.

I'll grant that older versions of Terraria that you could mostly just sequence break however you pleased were better and these drat 0.3% item drops are dumb as hell. But Terraria, unlike Starbound, I actually enjoy playing.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Haven't really enjoyed Terraria ever since the half-hearted implementation of hard mode

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

JerikTelorian posted:

Actually they removed that in 1.2 I think.

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
Terraria has meaningful gameplay differences between biomes, which as far as I know Starbound still doesn't have.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Falsum posted:

Terraria has meaningful gameplay differences between biomes, which as far as I know Starbound still doesn't have.

Honestly while I'm waiting for 1.3 to get back into Terraria (I never got around to activating hard mode), after Starbound the entire world could spawn as corruption and I'd still feel combat was less punishing.

EDIT: vvv You're not the only one who felt that. 3x3 areas out the gate (Whey they were not loving around with ore gating and sizeing and such and it was just picks) was always nice even if you had 'smart' cursors on, still end up having to wiggle my mouse hand a lot more. Dig once, dig twice, tall enough to walk through. Dig once, wide enough to fall through.

Dig speeds feeling is one of the few clear things Starbound can have over Terraria I guess? Yes I want to dig out five diamonds at the same time please. Of course that's still something the Starbound devs have hosed with along the way.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 18, 2015

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I actually found it a little hard to get back into Terraria after Starbound because your pick only hits one block at a time. Mining is agonizingly slow until you start getting up to hardmode picks.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Section Z posted:

Dig speeds feeling is one of the few clear things Starbound can have over Terraria I guess? Yes I want to dig out five diamonds at the same time please. Of course that's still something the Starbound devs have hosed with along the way.

Nah, that's just dig AoE. Discounting the fact that you can hit a 3x3 area at once, Starbound's dig/pick speeds are abysmal. Also, recommended: trackball. No more micro wrist-flicking.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

The White Dragon posted:

Nah, that's just dig AoE. Discounting the fact that you can hit a 3x3 area at once, Starbound's dig/pick speeds are abysmal. Also, recommended: trackball. No more micro wrist-flicking.
I think, block for block, Starbound is a lot faster. Sure, at the start, some stone types take a long time, and there's some overly hard materials like obsidian, but discounting maybe the very first level of upgrades, I'd say Terraria's the slower one. Endgame might change that, but even then I'm not sure.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

terraria definitely has issues but at least the dev knew what he wanted to do with it and just kinda built on that over time. so, i mean, you can play it and feel like you're actually doing something at the least

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i wish starbound was a dick so i could put it in my rear end and mouth

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

i wish starbound was a d

oh dang, beaten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004