Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

Iceblocks posted:

Does anyone else have the problem of the Custom Dynasty Crest changing whenever you reload? As in, I would change it into something I liked better, then I would reload and it would be some randomized mess.

It isn't a gamebreaking issue, just annoying, but has anyone else run into this?

Yes, it seems a fairly common bug.

Happens with hair/beards sometimes as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Dareon posted:

Or join them, Sunni Byzantium was a hilarious powerhouse in the Crusade for Greece, then the Arabian Empire (Who were no longer the Abbasids, they had some scattered holdings within the empire, but the Abbasid title belonged to a duchy in Spain next to the Umayyads) joined.

In my games, the Abbasids losing their poo poo and at least changing ruling dynasties has honestly been more common than the rock-solid megablob everyone else describes.

The Bizzantine blob were beating the much stronger Abbasid blob when they suddenly turned monophysite in my current game, and now they are breaking apart. At least is something I never seen happening.

And I agree, for me is a lot more common to see the Abbasid blob implode and get half of its land taken by the Bizzantines.

The Bizzantines are actually the most overpowered blob. When it breaks, its almost always because of the player's interference. Left alone by the human player, they are stable as hell and will only grow more and more.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Elias_Maluco posted:

The Bizzantine blob were beating the much stronger Abbasid blob when they suddenly turned monophysite in my current game, and now they are breaking apart. At least is something I never seen happening.

And I agree, for me is a lot more common to see the Abbasid blob implode and get half of its land taken by the Bizzantines.

The Bizzantines are actually the most overpowered blob. When it breaks, its almost always because of the player's interference. Left alone by the human player, they are stable as hell and will only grow more and more.

I feel like it always turns out the exact opposite for me. In my games AI Byzantium usually gets rocked by revolt after revolt, then gets picked apart by the Abbassids in successive holy wars.

The most imploding I've ever seen the Abbassids do was somehow lose to a Shia decadence revolt and get most of present-day Syria taken away from them, which they subsequently reconquered.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Spakstik posted:

I feel like it always turns out the exact opposite for me. In my games AI Byzantium usually gets rocked by revolt after revolt, then gets picked apart by the Abbassids in successive holy wars.

The most imploding I've ever seen the Abbassids do was somehow lose to a Shia decadence revolt and get most of present-day Syria taken away from them, which they subsequently reconquered.

This, exactly this with most of my games.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Iceblocks posted:

Does anyone else have the problem of the Custom Dynasty Crest changing whenever you reload? As in, I would change it into something I liked better, then I would reload and it would be some randomized mess.

It isn't a gamebreaking issue, just annoying, but has anyone else run into this?

I seem to remember that was an universal bug that was fixed in one of the latest patches.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
The Winter King just released a new update. 410 is still a work in progress but they've added some later bookmarks up to the year 530.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Spakstik posted:

On which start dates? I always start at CM or Old Gods date, and its very rare to see the Abbasid not to implode in a few centuries.

At the same time, while the Bizantines are usually constantly revolting, but they always go back to stable again. And the AI never seems to take advantage of their weakened periods.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Elias_Maluco posted:

On which start dates? I always start at CM or Old Gods date, and its very rare to see the Abbasid not to implode in a few centuries.

At the same time, while the Bizantines are usually constantly revolting, but they always go back to stable again. And the AI never seems to take advantage of their weakened periods.

The Charlemagne start. The common complaint is that the Abbasids are super stable and never lose to anything (save for the player) until the Mongols come along, so, I dunno, consider yourself lucky? A game where the Byzantines end up being the dominant power would be a welcome change of pace, if only because I'm sick of seeing a huge chunk of the map painted green.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Accidentally ran my 9k stack into a 12k stack of Germans and somehow managed to kill the king instantly. His titles fell to his 2 underage sons and one of them decided to go independent as the duchy as burgundy. That's what you get, fucker.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Spakstik posted:

The Charlemagne start. The common complaint is that the Abbasids are super stable and never lose to anything (save for the player) until the Mongols come along, so, I dunno, consider yourself lucky? A game where the Byzantines end up being the dominant power would be a welcome change of pace, if only because I'm sick of seeing a huge chunk of the map painted green.

Maybe I am then.

Byzantines dont usually became the dominant power, only because they will stop expanding after a while. But usually they are the ones with more troops by end game to me.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Accidentally ran my 9k stack into a 12k stack of Germans and somehow managed to kill the king instantly. His titles fell to his 2 underage sons and one of them decided to go independent as the duchy as burgundy. That's what you get, fucker.

My favorite strategy when I'm facing an overwhelming opponent declaring war on me is to beeline right for whatever army his king is leading (conveniently tells you where he is on his character info thing). I can usually get my army together faster than it takes the AI to raise and conglomerate all its levies so with some luck I can imprison the guy and force a peace before I get stomped.

Not super reliable since the leaders don't get captured very often even if you totally destroy their army but still.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Byzantines are handicapped on expansion by being unable to holy war Catholics, thus having an easy CB only against a few states to their east that they have to compete with the Abassids for and the Abassids themselves. Wheras as Muslims the Abassids always have easy CBs against pretty much everyone, so they usually expand fast.

In most of my games the Byzantines are constantly having to put down vassal revolts, but they never ever actually lose to revolting vassals, which also seems to slow them down (and make them vulnerable to the Abassids.)

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Back To 99 posted:

I seem to remember that was an universal bug that was fixed in one of the latest patches.

Its still not fixed, at least in multiplayer.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I've been the top streamer for CK2 pretty consistently for about two weeks now (25 viewers is enough to do that on twitch). I'm trying to keep people interested. Are there any mods out there that I should take for a spin? I did Shattered World and GoT last week and I'm thinking about doing After The End this week.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Doltos posted:

I've been the top streamer for CK2 pretty consistently for about two weeks now (25 viewers is enough to do that on twitch). I'm trying to keep people interested. Are there any mods out there that I should take for a spin? I did Shattered World and GoT last week and I'm thinking about doing After The End this week.

Have there been any reviews for that huge Warhammer mod? Anyone know how it turned out?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
It's ok.

Another Otter
May 14, 2012
e: nevermind

Another Otter fucked around with this message at 01:59 on May 19, 2015

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
So I keep trying to get into this game. I really, really want to like this game, honest I do. I experienced first hand that the tutorial breaks easily and read that it isn't even up to date. Everywhere I look they seem to say the best way to learn this game is to pick Dublin and try to take over Ireland from there. I have tried this like five times now and no matter what I keep getting steamrolled. I never earn any technology points, I keep trying to fabricate claims on neighboring land, but I either get invaded by Scotland or someone else and I never have enough soldiers to do anything about it. I found some walkthrough about it on Youtube but this guy is going on and on for like 47 videos that are a half hour each. Is there some kind of up to date textual guide to understanding this game? Is there a better starting point? I bought the collection pack off Steam when it was on sale early winter, so I have pretty much all the DLC that was out before the Charlemagne one.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Off the top of my head: Ireland is only a good newbie start in 1066 (or possibly afterward), before that it's a punching bag for the ACTUAL easy start (which is probably a Scandinavian duke of some kind).

As for textual guides, take a look at the tutorial LP thread here. The patch that came with Charlemagne changed a few things but a lot of that should still be relevant.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Junk posted:

So I keep trying to get into this game. I really, really want to like this game, honest I do. I experienced first hand that the tutorial breaks easily and read that it isn't even up to date. Everywhere I look they seem to say the best way to learn this game is to pick Dublin and try to take over Ireland from there. I have tried this like five times now and no matter what I keep getting steamrolled. I never earn any technology points, I keep trying to fabricate claims on neighboring land, but I either get invaded by Scotland or someone else and I never have enough soldiers to do anything about it. I found some walkthrough about it on Youtube but this guy is going on and on for like 47 videos that are a half hour each. Is there some kind of up to date textual guide to understanding this game? Is there a better starting point? I bought the collection pack off Steam when it was on sale early winter, so I have pretty much all the DLC that was out before the Charlemagne one.

You might want to start as a vassal for some big realm, it protects you from getting steamrolled like that and then you can grow slowly while learning how the game works. A vassal from the Byzantines, for ex.

Its really a very complex game, and it seems even more at first.

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 14:04 on May 19, 2015

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
If you're starting in the Old Gods start date, that area has some problems. Dublin is actually Norse Germanic (Part of the Sons of Lothbrok Invasion), and even if you pick a Catholic ruler in the area, there's the possibility your viking neighbors will get uppity. Try it in 1066, and pick the ruler with the most territory, just to make it easier. Ireland is recommended because it's nearly always a bunch of disconnected counts with only one guy having more than one county to his name. This makes it easy to just start snowballing through the realm as you pick up claims.

Note that you need to be a duke or higher to gain technology points, technology growth for counts is based entirely on spreading from neighboring provinces and parking your Spymaster somewhere advanced (Usually Constantinople).

Honestly, I would recommend cheating while you learn the game. Get a cheat mod of some stripe (or make your own, modifying Ruler Designer costs is the least you can do), learn the console commands, and imprison anyone who declares war on you.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Not sure how this works but I married my character to the queen of Norway who is independent. She had no heirs until they produced a kid and now the kid is from my dynasty. When she kicks the bucket does the kingdom of Norway get subsumed into my character's empire or is the kid just going to be an independent king of Norway?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Goofballs posted:

Not sure how this works but I married my character to the queen of Norway who is independent. She had no heirs until they produced a kid and now the kid is from my dynasty. When she kicks the bucket does the kingdom of Norway get subsumed into my character's empire or is the kid just going to be an independent king of Norway?

The kid will become an independent king and, barring gavelkind fuckery, will also inherit your kingdom on his death, uniting your lands. This has disadvantages (your kid will be run by the AI for things like mentors and marriage) but also advantages (he'll have you as a strong ally during the difficult initial stages of his reign, and he'll have an established power base once he inherits your lands).

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Ah, he'll probably be an independent then I think. My character has heirs before that kid and everything in the empire is primogeniture. I don't know what the Norway laws are but its late enough in the game.

Maybe I'll get a strong claim or something. Anything to feed megablob

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Just kill your other heirs...

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

I don't get strong, genius, midas touched heirs so often I would do that

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Goofballs posted:

I don't get strong, genius, midas touched heirs so often I would do that

land > stats

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Fluffdaddy posted:

Just kill your other heirs...

Or kill the Queen of Norway and your son, then kill your grandson once he inherits but before he has kids of his own: the inheritance will bounce back up the father's line rather than the mother's so it will come back to you and your primary heirs.

Note: step 2 may not be possible in vanilla now that diploassassins were removed, I think you still can't plot against your own children in vanilla. On the other hand, if one of your kid's older brothers is a sneaky bastard and notices that he's now third in line for the throne of Norway they may take care of it themselves!

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 19, 2015

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Yeah 'm vanila so I can't plot against my heir. I could put him in situations he's likely to die in though. In general they aren't built for intrigue. More diplomacy and stewardship but I can always marry conniving.

I made an antipope and took the papacy a little back so once I'm playing the current heir which will be sooner rather than later a divorce is easy to get. It might be necessary to kill the queen of Norway anyway so she doesn't get a new husband who might kill the child from my dynasty.

As it turns out the Norweigan queen is somewhat bloodthirsty, just started her third war this time against scotland and the HRE are in this time on the side of the scots. And its for the Shetland islands so any blob that descends on it liable to be decimated fast enough. And for whatever reason the popes loving hate her. Second time excommunicated but I can lift that at will.

Goofballs fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 19, 2015

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

New dev diary out. It's... ehh. It's nice that they're committed to improving UI functionality and stuff, but I really hope they start talking about some big balancing passes over the game as a whole.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

On the bright side, there's now apparently a button to restrict your character from leading troops (similar to councillors) which is something I've heard a lot of requests for ITT.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Dallan Invictus posted:

On the bright side, there's now apparently a button to restrict your character from leading troops (similar to councillors) which is something I've heard a lot of requests for ITT.

Yessssssssssssssssssss

esn2500
Mar 2, 2015

Some asshole told me to get fucked and eat shit so I got fucked and ate shit
Any recommendations on a starting location to play as a custom ruler? I'd prefer to start out around the count level and rise up from there.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Fuligin posted:

New dev diary out. It's... ehh. It's nice that they're committed to improving UI functionality and stuff, but I really hope they start talking about some big balancing passes over the game as a whole.

Link for convenience

I'm really digging the new realm view function, it's gonna be really useful for the HRE Multiplayer LP.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Dareon posted:

Honestly, I would recommend cheating while you learn the game. Get a cheat mod of some stripe (or make your own, modifying Ruler Designer costs is the least you can do), learn the console commands, and imprison anyone who declares war on you.

I'm not opposed to newbies cheating to stay while they figure out the game's mechanics, but consoling yourself piles of money to hire mercs is all the cheating you really need to do.

But--a big element of being good at this game is learning the timing of when exactly to declare war and press your advantage (which often involves when you have money for mercs and he doesn't) and even cheating of that nature will prevent you from learning that.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
Is there any way to have a female Muslim ruler, other than the handful of historical ones who are in the game already?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Hadaka Apron posted:

Is there any way to have a female Muslim ruler, other than the handful of historical ones who are in the game already?

Not really. They're hardcoded to not have females in succession essentially. :shrug:

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

It is possible to mod the game to that Muslim women can take titles (adventurers, claims) but Muslims are hard-locked to Agnatic laws so women can never inherit.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

How is the republic expansion? Looking at it seems cool but I'm half afraid the HRE will just come down and squash the content probably around the time it gets interesting. Hence I'm leaning more in the direction of Old Gods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Hadaka Apron posted:

I've had one happen, but it was only because a Jihad was won and she was the last person alive with a claim on it.

• Locked thread