Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
https://youtu.be/OX-IdbKnaUM

Customer reports strange sound coming from front wheel. Requests brake pads be changed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

The Door Frame posted:

https://youtu.be/OX-IdbKnaUM

Customer reports strange sound coming from front wheel. Requests brake pads be changed

Holy poo poo that's me.

No, not really, though I did own a battered white 300M until recently. "Recently" being when its electrical system poo poo the bed with the lights on.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Is that rear wheel drive, or is the driver lunching the front diff in addition to everything else?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Safety Dance posted:

Is that rear wheel drive, or is the driver lunching the front diff in addition to everything else?

longitudinal FWD.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

longitudinal FWD.

The worst configuration of all :toot: not that it matters at that point.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
If the 6.8 in the RV ever has a problem that requires plugs, well, what's the best way to burn an RV to the ground? Propane fire?

:argh: Econoline!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

SuperDucky posted:

If the 6.8 in the RV ever has a problem that requires plugs, well, what's the best way to burn an RV to the ground? Propane fire?

:argh: Econoline!

Swap it out with a Powerstroke :getin:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Slavvy posted:

The worst configuration of all :toot: not that it matters at that point.

Nothing wrong with a longitudinal FWD, don't have torque steer issues that east-west setups have. Rather change the spark plugs on a longitudinal V6 FWD than an east-west one

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Swap it out with a Powerstroke :getin:

If only those were any easier to work on... A valve cover gasket that has wires ....WTF?????!!!!!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You Am I posted:

Nothing wrong with a longitudinal FWD, don't have torque steer issues that east-west setups have. Rather change the spark plugs on a longitudinal V6 FWD than an east-west one

Yeah for the minor benefit of no torque steer (something that has largely been engineered out of the sportier FWD cars anyway) you get the penalty of having the entire engine ahead of the front axle. Totally worth it!

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Is that not normal? I've got lateral setup and the hump the axles come out of is towards the center of the car, so that the engine is in front of the axle. I figured it was to keep more weight up front when you floor it.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Slavvy posted:

Yeah for the minor benefit of no torque steer (something that has largely been engineered out of the sportier FWD cars anyway) you get the penalty of having the entire engine ahead of the front axle. Totally worth it!

This, a lot of modern cars have a horizontally extended shaft on the right side (or whichever is longer) to bring that CV joint farther out so that the angles are the same each side (contrary to popular belief, it's the joint angle, not the overall axle length, that causes the torque steer effect). My car is set up that way and it torque steers less than cars with half the power that I've driven.

Also, it is NOT, despite Jeremy Clarkson's occasional demos, the steering wheel jerk that happens when you mash the gas with your hands off the wheel; I bet you most RWD cars would do that, too.

I'd much rather transverse than longitudinal in a FWD car, V engine servicing aside (and longitudinal engines aren't necessarily great for it either, see spark plug replacement on 4th gen F-bodies).

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
F bodies are RWD, the engine is in a different place.

With a V6 engine the weight distributions are about the same either way if you are talking about a FWD car, because V6 engines are largely square, and in most other respects the longitudinal layout wins. With a longer engine the longitudinal placement becomes tricky and not worth the trouble.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Enourmo posted:

This, a lot of modern cars have a horizontally extended shaft on the right side (or whichever is longer) to bring that CV joint farther out so that the angles are the same each side (contrary to popular belief, it's the joint angle, not the overall axle length, that causes the torque steer effect). My car is set up that way and it torque steers less than cars with half the power that I've driven.

Also, it is NOT, despite Jeremy Clarkson's occasional demos, the steering wheel jerk that happens when you mash the gas with your hands off the wheel; I bet you most RWD cars would do that, too.

I'd much rather transverse than longitudinal in a FWD car, V engine servicing aside (and longitudinal engines aren't necessarily great for it either, see spark plug replacement on 4th gen F-bodies).

Not only that, but many cars have secondary engine mounts whose sole purpose is to reduce the tendency of the engine to move back and forth when it moves on and off load.

Throatwarbler posted:

F bodies are RWD, the engine is in a different place.

With a V6 engine the weight distributions are about the same either way if you are talking about a FWD car, because V6 engines are largely square, and in most other respects the longitudinal layout wins. With a longer engine the longitudinal placement becomes tricky and not worth the trouble.

Not on any FWD v6 I've ever seen, but I don't work on american stuff. Think about it. In a transverse car, about a third of the engine is directly above the axle line, give or take. In a longditudinal car the entire engine and the clutch/torque converter are 100% in front of the axle. I'm not saying it's a huge difference, but it's there and the overall cuntyness of the design isn't remotely justified by it taking less time to do the spark plugs, something that is fairly trivial on most transverse v6's anyway (wah wah I'm a gigantic baby who can't spend twenty minutes taking the top half off an intake manifold).

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

Slavvy posted:

Not on any FWD v6 I've ever seen, but I don't work on american stuff. Think about it. In a transverse car, about a third of the engine is directly above the axle line, give or take. In a longditudinal car the entire engine and the clutch/torque converter are 100% in front of the axle. I'm not saying it's a huge difference, but it's there and the overall cuntyness of the design isn't remotely justified by it taking less time to do the spark plugs, something that is fairly trivial on most transverse v6's anyway (wah wah I'm a gigantic baby who can't spend twenty minutes taking the top half off an intake manifold).

ive never understood this how often are people changing thier spark plugs where having to take the inlet manifold off becomes a huge drama

and if it's a customer job then surely it's part of the job anyway

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
I managed to change the three plugs up against the firewall on a camry v6 without removing the upper intake. I had to unbolt a support bracket and that was it.

I mean, it took a lot of swearing and contortion, but I got it done.

If you're stubborn enough you can find a way.

Edit:This was a 1MZ-FE. I don't imagine you could pull this stunt with a 2GR in a newer camry.

Vanagoon fucked around with this message at 13:37 on May 18, 2015

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
LT1 fbody with stock exhaust manifolds is one of the worst I've ever done. Unbolting a motor mount and jacking it up is basically the easiest way to do the passenger side.

LT1 with headers or the LS1 cars are pretty easy though.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Vanagoon posted:

I managed to change the three plugs up against the firewall on a camry v6 without removing the upper intake. I had to unbolt a support bracket and that was it.

I mean, it took a lot of swearing and contortion, but I got it done.

If you're stubborn enough you can find a way.

Edit:This was a 1MZ-FE. I don't imagine you could pull this stunt with a 2GR in a newer camry.

You definitely can't with a 3GR but the number of fittings and complexity of the manifold are vastly reduced so taking the top half off is really straightforward. Also every even semi-modern car with that setup seems to run iridium plugs and the interval is usually well over 100,000km.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Slavvy posted:

In a longditudinal car the entire engine and the clutch/torque converter are 100% in front of the axle.

This... Is extremely general, and often not true. As an example, the above mentioned 93-02 Camaro/Firebird, with a V8, put the front axle line somewhere between the center-lines of the front two and second two pairs of cylinders. On Corvettes, the C7 in particular, it's even farther forward. Forward of the engine entirely, in fact. Granted, what you say is generally true with higher-production mainstream vehicles, but it is by no means universal.

Transverse layouts have MUCH less ability to move the engine longitudinally, since the gearbox must be in line with the drive axle, whereas a with a longitudinal layout, the engineers can relatively easily move the engine/transmission forward and aft, in relation to the drive axle.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The Camaro and Corvette aren't FWD though which is what Slavvy was talking about.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

dissss posted:

The Camaro and Corvette aren't FWD though which is what Slavvy was talking about.

Ah, I've never encountered a longitudinal FWD vehicle.

...Because that's stupid. :v:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

MrYenko posted:

Ah, I've never encountered a longitudinal FWD vehicle.

...Because that's stupid. :v:

How about a subaru or an audi, because it's the same basic idea.axle shafts coming out of the side of the transmission housing, entire engine ahead of the front axle.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Powershift posted:

How about a subaru or an audi, because it's the same basic idea.axle shafts coming out of the side of the transmission housing, entire engine ahead of the front axle.

Subarus, at least, have fairly short and light engines.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Powershift posted:

Nothing confirms the idiocy of a design more than audi committing to it wholeheartedly.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Nothing confirms the idiocy of a design more than audi committing to it wholeheartedly.

but look how accessible the spark plugs are!

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I guess this counts as a mechanical failure/brick failure somehow:

Someone stole the front left tire of a car parked behind me on a hill. Tried to prop it up with a brick or something and apparently it fell off forward. The other car's bumper/plate holder slammed into my rear bumper messing up the paint and plastic. Ugh.

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Who steals a steel wheel off of a Hyundai AND leaves the hubcap behind?! I'd bet the owner took the wheel off, who knows why. That's just weird.

Edit: They probably curbed it (look at that hubcap) and unseated the bead so they took it to fill it up somewhere.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

iwentdoodie posted:

LT1 fbody with stock exhaust manifolds is one of the worst I've ever done. Unbolting a motor mount and jacking it up is basically the easiest way to do the passenger side.

LT1 with headers or the LS1 cars are pretty easy though.

Thats the ONLY way to get to the plugs on an EZ30 subaru motor in a Liberty, undo engine mounts, lift engine until plugs are higher than the unibody frame and remove replace. Im not looking forward to doing it on my housemates car cos like hell are we asking subaru to do it- they charge $800 for a "Minor service!"

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That's the same as the service guide on the FRS/BRZ. 7 hour book job, disconnect the engine mounts, exhaust and like 30 clips for various hoses and wires.

I have faith in the first owners of those cars, but i doubt any second hand one is ever going to see a new set of plugs. They're going to be on craigslist non-running for 10 grand "only needs plugs, $50 in parts"

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Spark ignitions a bit of voodoo to me- ive been compression ignition since i started to drive so the idea of changing plugs is a bit foreign.

Although the landcruiser is desperately overdue for diesel injectors... and Toyota in their infinate wisdom embedded the things INSIDE the head, between one of the most complex quad valve systems Ive ever seen that seriously does NOT like getting knocked.

My mates older tech toyota diesel, the old 1HZ is "Pull cross over pipe, Pull glow plug rail, undo injector pipe and wiggle to side,remove injector return pipe, unscrew injector from head". Mines "Remove cross over pipe, remove rocker cover, remove injector pump cover, remove and dispose of injector pipes. Remove return pipe, lever out 6x seals from side of head, undo injector hold down without breaking your valve system with a slipped spanner, lever injectors out without breaking expensive valve system..."

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
Sorry for the Ipotato quality photos These are from work.

Heres what it looks like when put a helicoil in a triton motor.

I made a joke about 5.4 motors while doing the tune up on a 5.7 . It didn't find it funny.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
What is it with Ford and spark plugs? How did they manage to cock up something that's been used pretty much as long as there have been engines so monumentally?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Getting the dealer to do a plug change on the BRZ/FR-S costs less than a good set of tires and only needs to be done every 60k miles. It's not exactly something I'm sweating.

I swore enough doing the plug change on my bugeye, I'm done with that poo poo. I've definitely reached the point that my shadetree maintenance is limited to oil, various filters, and brakes.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Vanagoon posted:

What is it with Ford and spark plugs? How did they manage to cock up something that's been used pretty much as long as there have been engines so monumentally?

Because there's always a way to invent the wheel to be more round and more better. :smuggo:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Vanagoon posted:

Casting thickness in that area. They tried to shave metal from places it shouldn't have been shaved from and there aren't enough threads left.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Motronic posted:

Casting thickness in that area. They tried to shave metal from places it shouldn't have been shaved from and there aren't enough threads left.

Don't the 2-valve motors only have like 1-2 turns of thread holding the plugs in or some nonsense like that?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Ferremit posted:

Thats the ONLY way to get to the plugs on an EZ30 subaru motor in a Liberty, undo engine mounts, lift engine until plugs are higher than the unibody frame and remove replace. Im not looking forward to doing it on my housemates car cos like hell are we asking subaru to do it- they charge $800 for a "Minor service!"

Only the outback version from what I remember. The spacers to lower the crossmember and suspension mounts lower the engine down far enough to be a problem. Pretty sure I've changed plugs on a regular h6 legacy without doing that.

I have done the "lift engine slightly" thing to do plugs on a forester xt and it wasn't really that much harder than doing it on a not-lifted car. Motor mounts are two easily accessible nuts on the bottom of the subframe and the radiator hoses stretch enough. You want to pull off the pitch stop too.

Also get a socket like this:

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=642284&group_ID=675515&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Powershift posted:

but look how accessible the spark plugs are!

It also makes turbocharging and exhaust routing easier too. The VR6 engine is pretty neat because it's set up like an inline six engine so all the exhausts are in the front. I wonder why they don't do a factory turbocharged version.

Here's an apparently derelict Continental I found on the side of the road. Oddly enough the wheels, tires and headlights seem to be in decent condition, but from what I could make out of the interior it's full of junk.

Guess he must have gotten the estimate from the dealer to fix the air suspension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Motronic posted:

The 3v "oops, my plugs all broke off" issue was a plug problem, not a head problem.