Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Social norms are followed much more than laws are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

hadji murad posted:

Social norms are followed much more than laws are.
I guess laws are only for when people don't follow social norms, and social norms are followed like crazy.

In class today, a Japanese student noticed gum stuck under her desk and freaked out a bit. Every non-Japanese person in the class was like "of course there's gum under the desk, there's gum under every desk of every school everywhere". I'm talking students from China, Taiwan, Brazil, Saudi Arabia, and Korea here.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Feb 18, 2015

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I sometimes get the feeling that Japan could basically do away with nearly all its laws and nothing would change much.

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010

ErIog posted:

Shibuya revealed a plan to start giving gay partnership licenses to be used as identification for the purposes of housing, hospital visitation, and next of kin. The licenses will be not be legally binding, though, and the local government is hoping for people to voluntarily recognize them as legitimate.
It should be noted that Setagaya has also followed suit as well, after seeing what Shibuya did.
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2015/02/16/national/second-tokyo-ward-speaks-of-action-on-same-sex-unions/

ReidRansom posted:

I sometimes get the feeling that Japan could basically do away with nearly all its laws and nothing would change much.
Part of me thinks that the lack of "rule of law" in Japan stems back to the fact that much of the current system was kind of forced on the Japanese. I could be talking out my rear end here, but Japan didn't have an extremely ordered law system in place for most of their history, compared to other Western countries. The democratic system, along with the 'legislature branch,' were constructs that were largely forced on them after the war. They had a system in place pre-war (Meiji Restoration) but the thing I took away from my history class was that the Restoration was a means to an end; a way to try and learn what made the West strong by mimicking what the West was doing. As a result, its not a stretch to believe they may not be invested in these systems.

That said, I can come up with 2-3 other theories why they don't seem to follow rule of law. One being, as already mentioned, that its all too mendokusai.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I think you're probably on to something with that line of reasoning, or at least not too far off the truth. There's a fair deal of social obligation/shaming/duty that just isn't present in the West. And as ReidRansom says you could possibly do away with most of the laws and not a lot would change for 95% of people, which is both a good and bad thing.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Those social norms go out the window pretty fast if the person is anonymous in some situations. A lot of the rear end in a top hat behaviour that occurs on trains, just simple rudeness, would never occur if that person was around an equal they knew.

Kids learn it from a very young age when to obey the norms and when to not.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

hadji murad posted:

Those social norms go out the window pretty fast if the person is anonymous in some situations. A lot of the rear end in a top hat behaviour that occurs on trains, just simple rudeness, would never occur if that person was around an equal they knew.

Being an rear end in a top hat to certain kinds of people is not a violation of social norms. That IS a social norm.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

hadji murad posted:

You're right I had totally forgotten about this aspect of things. It's especially bad with the prevalence of wearing those masks in the winter months since people are even less identifiable.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I recently moved to the second train car instead of the first one because I couldn't take the rudeness anymore. It was a constant struggle to get a seat even if I was at the start of the line. No way any of those people would do that with a colleague around; the anonymity was effecting the norm, in my opinion.

It's amazing what a difference that simple move has made on my commute.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."
What's the point of being polite if nobody you know can see you doing it?

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

I think the classic example of that is the one about how if there are two Japanese people at a red light crosswalk (with no cars around), they'll always wait for it to turn green, but if there's only one they'll just cross. I've heard it from a handful of Japanese folks, anyway.

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.
Can someone give an example of rude behavior on trains? I commuted on trains in Hokuriku for about 1.5 years on a semi-regular basis and nothing stands out in my mind except a drunk ojiisan at 10 a.m. kinda being dismissive to a young female attendant once.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I go through Ueno but mostly it's pushing and shoving while trying to get ahead. Often seen a guy trying to earn himself more room by sitting poorly, Small things that sound trivial but they do add up when people are doing it every day.

The most annoying thing for me is that people know exactly what they are doing and wouldn't do it in other situations.

Protocol 5 posted:

What's the point of being polite if nobody you know can see you doing it?

This!

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

SousaphoneColossus posted:

Can someone give an example of rude behavior on trains? I commuted on trains in Hokuriku for about 1.5 years on a semi-regular basis and nothing stands out in my mind except a drunk ojiisan at 10 a.m. kinda being dismissive to a young female attendant once.

Stood between train cars with a blind man (and a JR attendant who had taken it upon herself to look after him) for 25 minutes on an express train. A woman had her LV bag on the seat next to her.

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010

Talking on your phone will probably get you some death stares.

Madd0g11
Jun 14, 2002
Bitter Vet
Lipstick Apathy

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Stood between train cars with a blind man (and a JR attendant who had taken it upon herself to look after him) for 25 minutes on an express train. A woman had her LV bag on the seat next to her.

But that's when it's appropriate and needed to use our superpower.

Madd0g11 fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Feb 21, 2015

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Pompous Rhombus posted:

So ask her to move the bag?

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

Can someone give an example of rude behavior on trains?

I've seen people putting on their makeup on the train which according to a bunch of those 'please do it at home' signs is rude for some reason.

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy

dazjw posted:

I've seen people putting on their makeup on the train which according to a bunch of those 'please do it at home' signs is rude for some reason.

Because you're offending the people who woke up early to do their makeup what makes you so much better that you get to sleep in huh?!?!?

I think.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
A few weeks ago some foreigner got frustrated on the Yamanote and starting screaming at everyone about not making space while people try to exit the train. Was quite a spectacle, just him screaming swear words in English to everyone, went on for quite awhile too.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Original_Z posted:

A few weeks ago some foreigner got frustrated on the Yamanote and starting screaming at everyone about not making space while people try to exit the train. Was quite a spectacle, just him screaming swear words in English to everyone, went on for quite awhile too.

There needs to be more of this imo.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

Reverend Cheddar posted:

Because you're offending the people who woke up early to do their makeup what makes you so much better that you get to sleep in huh?!?!?

I think.

Also, it reminds men that Japanese women aren't born naturally beautiful and entirely unneeding of makeup, which is a terrible and unpleasant thought.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

After living in China and Korea the idea of Japanese people being rude in public is hilarious.

I know it happens anywhere but it's still funny.

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010
"Dam you Japan and your butt warming seats! It's not like they are good or anything!"

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Maybe Japanese self-warming toilet seats are a little on the extravagant side, but I'll certainly take them over the literal hole in the floor that was the toilet in my apartment when I lived in Beijing.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
Has anyone ever turned up the bidet feature to max and felt nothing, only to realise that the reason for this is that you are sitting far forward on the seat and that there is a giant jet of water shooting up, unseen, behind your back?

I have.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Also doubles as a footwarmer for your out-of-towners.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I guess this is in response to the dumb article in this week's Shuukan Bunshun. I'll post an image of it later.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Mozi posted:

Also doubles as a footwarmer for your out-of-towners.

This is the joke I'm going to use when my relatives ask about crazy Japanese toilet seats.

"It's really nice for warming your feet in the winter."

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)
Not really sure if this is relevant but we had Tatsuya Mori and a panel of academics in Japanese Religion do a round-table discussion at my University about the Aum Shinrikyo affair and Mori's documentaries. NHK were filming for a segment on the national news at 9PM this Monday (23rd march) night in Japan, and I got the chance to answer some questions from Mori and generally get involved with the whole event, so I'm hoping I'll make the cut!

It was really cool to have Mori here, and hear him talking about his first-hand experiences with Aum. There was a lot of little things he said that I've never heard of before, and aren't spoken about in the media. One part that stood out was when he mentioned how he was sitting directly behind Asahara during the trial, how Asahara was hunched over and constantly scratching himself all over like a lunatic. Also, apparently his trousers kept being changed during the trials because he was completely incontinent.

There was a lot of discussion about the interaction between 'New Religions' in Japan and politics, and I was surprised that so many cabinet ministers were associated with these religions.

mystes
May 31, 2006

NHK is now reporting that the votes against the Osaka Metropolis plan are confirmed to have the majority. Hashimoto had said that he would quit politics if this happened, so it will be interesting to see what happens.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

mystes posted:

NHK is now reporting that the votes against the Osaka Metropolis plan are confirmed to have the majority. Hashimoto had said that he would quit politics if this happened, so it will be interesting to see what happens.

:byewhore:

All we need know is for Ishihara to kick the bucket and we'd be having the best week ever.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

mystes posted:

His term as mayor ends in December, so if he sticks to his guns he'll flee back to TV land then.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Ultimately, as usual in Japanese politics, the olds sunk the measure. The margin of defeat was farily narrow (just over 10,000 votes) but the "for" rate was highest in young people and gradually became more opposed per 10-year gap, with a sharp turn at the high end of the curve. The over-70s opposed by over 60% and singlehandedly were the difference maker.

This is going to raise a shitstorm on the national level, though, because aside from Ishin no To (Hashimoto's party) every single local political chapter opposed the measure, up to and including the LDP and the communists banding together, to the ire of Abe and his central government.

e: found a chart to back up my statement, every age group but the over-70s was in favor

Navaash fucked around with this message at 15:29 on May 18, 2015

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Interesting, thanks for that. There's also quite a pronounced difference between men and women - many more younger women were opposed to the merger. I wonder why?

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Could be dissatisfaction with Hashimoto.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
What with Hashimoto's ultimatum about resigning I can't see how this wasn't a referendum on Hashimoto himself.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Stringent posted:

What with Hashimoto's ultimatum about resigning I can't see how this wasn't a referendum on Hashimoto himself.
Well, NHK's theory on why old people voted against it was that they were afraid that it would affect benefits they were receiving from the city or something, so maybe not entirely. I do think the support among younger male voters, at least more than younger female voters, may have had something to do with Hashimoto's appeal though.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

It seems like it might be a little bit of column A and a little bit of column B.

Hashimoto has been barely keeping above water in approval polls since 2013. The drop in approval between 2012 and 2013 is difficult to explain in detail due to a lack of aggregate polling data(that I could find), but it seems like it's most clearly linked to Hashimoto's statements concerning comfort women.

The issue with attributing it entirely to that is that Hashimoto also launched his full court press with the Japan Restoration Party and his merger with Ishihara in that period. So some of it could also be explained by people's ambivalence toward his newly outlined political direction.

There is an interesting pattern I found, though. When the issue first started being discussed heavily, the support for reforming Article 9 was somewhat positive. However, around 1/4 to 1/5th of poll respondents from 2013 stated they had no opinion on the issue. Since 2013, changing Article 9 is an issue that the LDP has taken up with gusto under Abe's leadership, and it's been debated heavily on a national level. Voters like it less as they learn more about it, and the issue currently stands at 55% against which is up 4% compared to a month ago.

Hashimoto's Osaka Metropolis plan has followed a similar trajectory. He was able to sell it until the point where he had to start explaining what he actually meant by it, and as voters found out more about it they liked it less and less. The lack of support from the major national parties also probably harmed his effort.

So at this point it looks like Hashimoto's jaunt into Japanese politics is at an end, and he'll probably go back to TV. Expect to see him as a frequent guest on shows like Sunday Japon.

Moon-rune links for those interested:
Support for Article 9 Reform in 2015: http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/politics/20150511-OYT1T50021.html
Handful of Article 9 Reform polls from 2013: http://doumin.exblog.jp/18693277/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
What is a good book to read about the Japanese boom and bust of the 80s?