Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Coming this week, apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I just hope they occupy a different layer than subways and don't interfere with each other.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

canepazzo posted:

That's one steep slope.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
gently caress that's steep.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

canepazzo posted:

Sorry this is all I can see:

http://img42.com/v5Yin+

AMISH FRIED PIES fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 18, 2015

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Thanks for all the answers. I am happy to say that as of this moment I have purchased the game and am anxiously waiting for it to finish downloading.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

canepazzo posted:

According to TotallyMoo those buildings in the top left corner of the image are new. Hopefully terraced buildings it in.

Tarezax posted:

I spend more time making maps in this game than actually playing it.

What are some good mapmaking mods I should be getting?

I think the most map editory mods you can get are just making your own custom brushes. There are plenty of external tools to edit height maps with, though.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 16:36 on May 18, 2015

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
What are some mods that you guys recommend from the Steam Workshop? I mostly enjoy extra buildings, but I'm willing to listen to any suggestions.

Also, where is that 81-tile mod you guys were talking about earlier? I can't seem to find it browsing the workshop.

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 18, 2015

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Retail Slave posted:

What are some mods that you guys recommend from the Steam Workshop? I mostly enjoy extra buildings, but I'm willing to listen to any suggestions.

Also, where is that 81-tile mod you guys were talking about earlier? I can't seem to find it browsing the workshop.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=422554572&searchtext=unlock+tiles

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Retail Slave posted:

There's a ton I'm using so instead of trying to list them all I'll say as a rule of thumb don't download a custom building that is more than 10mb. ESPECIALLY if it is a growable and it going to be popping up way more than just once.

If something is really cool feel free to make an exception of course (I have) but in general when people start complaining about the game running at 20 FPS or running out of memory it's because they have a bunch of custom buildings that use massive textures.

I saw one building the other day that was 80mb it was nuts.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012
Mods I'm using:

Must-have
  • Unlock 25 tiles - Sub in the 81-tile unlocker if you want, but 25 is pretty drat huge.
  • Traffic Report - Not something I use all the time, but can be a huge help for diagnosing your worst traffic problems.
  • Traffic Manager Also used sparingly but can be a lifesaver when you need it.
  • Unlock All - This comes with the game, and it's a matter of personal preference. I didn't use it for my first city but once I had a handle on the game I had no desire to go through the unlock process again.
  • Dynamic Resolution - Replaces the game's terrible stock anti-aliasing with a far-superior method. If you install one visual mod it should be this one.
  • Moving Sun - Quasi day/night cycle adds a great feeling of life to the game.

Optional
  • Tree Brush - Paint a bunch of trees at once.
  • Enable Achievements - Allows you to get achievements with mods active.
  • Enhanced Public Transport UI - Just got this one, but it looks nice for keeping track of a large transit system.
  • Automatic Emptying - Another one I just got. Might be the ticket for making cemeteries worth using for their massive hearse fleets w/o having to micromanage them.
  • Extended Building Information - Provides more detailed info about building service demands/levels, as well as terrible random names and descriptions that you should turn off by pressing 'N'.
  • Enhanced Zoom - Mostly nice because it lets you zoom out further, but the first-person mode is fun too.
  • No More Purple Pollution - Change the (in my opinion) stupid Seussian purple pollution to something reasonable. Tan is linked but there are various options (check the mod desc.).
  • Ambient Occlusion - Nicer lighting/shadows. Subtle but effective.
  • Sun Shafts - Kind of cheesy but fun. Play with the intensity setting to find something not too garish.

I also have a handful of Gula's custom buildings. I haven't had the patience to dive into the morass to find more yet, even though the stock buildings are mostly pretty bad. Hopefully someday someone will come up with a nice curated collection of custom buildings and save me the trouble.

Supraluminal fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 18, 2015

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Supraluminal posted:

I also have a handful of Gula's custom buildings. I haven't had the patience to dive into the morass to find more yet, even though the stock buildings are mostly pretty bad. Hopefully someday someone will come up with a nice curated collection of custom buildings and save me the trouble.

I have around 580 custom buildings installed. If someone can find that mod which displays asset names on the building information panel I could finally delete the last few stinkers and try to get a collection uploaded.

Also nthing the moving sun mod.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 18, 2015

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Is there a way to adjust the size of the in-game text? I can barely read any of the messages because of the tiny print. Also, I just discovered that I am old.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Retail Slave posted:

Is there a way to adjust the size of the in-game text? I can barely read any of the messages because of the tiny print. Also, I just discovered that I am old.

There's a mod for that. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=407225523

DEO3
Oct 25, 2005

canepazzo posted:

Street lamps? :raise:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have some good tips for making the transitions from highways to non-highway city streets? That seems to be where all my fuckery and traffic problems come from.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Tendai posted:

Does anyone have some good tips for making the transitions from highways to non-highway city streets? That seems to be where all my fuckery and traffic problems come from.
Frontage roads or a similar, lightless distributor system are like cheating when designed right but are maybe real estate intensive.

The common issue I've seen in a lot of the "help why is traffic broke" screenshots is avoiding directionality: if you are not careful, people need to do elaborate u-turns to get off a highway to the direction they want to go, or vice versa to actually get on the highway going the right direction. Do a mental exercise (or get the route query mod) to make sure the way to get on and off makes sense for every direction people will want to go.

For heavy duty industrial areas I usually do some sort of Texas frontage road style thing with ramps serving as the frontage road and underpass uturn's on the frontage roads to handle directionality without any stop lights (that is anyone getting on a highway doesn't touch a stoplight and people getting off only touch one). Like this, but don't feel beholden to a template.

For a bit of flavor and taking up less room I've become a fan of this sort of overpass in suburb areas. It keeps the traffic light centrally located to distribute traffic even though its not perfect since you can't always get on the highway in the direction you want without hitting a light.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
This game is making me learn how to make a proper transportation system. Like i said earlier in the thread, I think i'll just make a hosed up form of Houston's 610, and then build outward from there.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
This game is making me learn how to make a proper transportation system. Like i said earlier in the thread, I think i'll just make a hosed up form of Houston's 610, and then build outward from there.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Okay, here are 400+ parks/buildings/assets. They are generally not poo poo. If you find a building you hate, download nlight's Mod Tools. With that mod enabled you can click on a building to see its asset name, and then look it up and delete it if you want.

A word of warning, I use a ton of recolors for low density residential buildings.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=445243236

Tendai posted:

I've found that putting as many entrances and exits as you can possibly fit is the best solution. Digging sunken highways is good for this, as it really allows you to put in as many ramps as you can possibly fit.

Something like this is ideal (although I don't have as ramps/bridges as I could fit, I don't really need them). In higher density areas you will want the bridges to connect to high value roads which can take cars the majority of the way to their destination, rather than forcing them to turn onto the frontage road.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 04:16 on May 19, 2015

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Spamming onramps isn't necessarily any better than having fewer, strategically-placed high capacity onramps, especially when combined with good public transport.

This is my main downtown area, traffic is fine and you can see there only three points of access by freeway. Really just two - most of the traffic comes from the north and west, so the one in the bottom right isn't currently doing much:

The couple red parts are just high capacity, not backed up or anything.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Bold Robot posted:

Spamming onramps isn't necessarily any better than having fewer, strategically-placed high capacity onramps, especially when combined with good public transport.

It's significantly better, actually. In terms of traffic you can get by with fewer ramps, but traffic isn't the only thing that's spread through roads. Having ramps across highways, as well as having a tighter grid in general, means that services can travel for a greater distance. That's one of the largest reasons that I spam ramps on highways.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

It's not exactly hard to get service coverage in low density areas, but fair point. :shrug: I'm not saying spamming low-capacity onramps doesn't work, just that there's more than one way to skin a cat.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Bold Robot posted:

It's not exactly hard to get service coverage in low density areas, but fair point. :shrug: I'm not saying spamming low-capacity onramps doesn't work, just that there's more than one way to skin a cat.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. The density of the zoning doesn't affect how far the effects of a service building spread. It's not hard to level up residential, but when you're trying to get maximum level high density office on either side of a highway spamming roads over saves a huge amount of service buildings.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 04:53 on May 19, 2015

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Fish Fry Andy posted:

It's significantly better, actually. In terms of traffic you can get by with fewer ramps, but traffic isn't the only thing that's spread through roads. Having ramps across highways, as well as having a tighter grid in general, means that services can travel for a greater distance. That's one of the largest reasons that I spam ramps on highways.

What is the onramp/overpass you're using there? I love it and want to get it on steam.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

SC4 is a better game with no/little mods. Either a good or bad thing, depending on which way you swing.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Tendai posted:

What is the onramp/overpass you're using there? I love it and want to get it on steam.

It's just a regular road with two ramps on the side. I can't upload it to the workshop because it relies on the terrain to actually work.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Ohhh okay. Time to dive in and see if I can make something that works.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Fish Fry Andy posted:

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. The density of the zoning doesn't affect how far the effects of a service building spread. It's not hard to level up residential, but when you're trying to get maximum level high density office on either side of a highway spamming roads over saves a huge amount of service buildings.

Sure, but you could also do that with a bunch of non-offramp roads that cross the highway.

I'm just pointing out for the sake of this dude asking for advice that you can also manage traffic by routing it into a few points with a high capacity interchange like a roundabout or a DDI/DCMI. This game owns cause you can really do whatever you want and find a weird rear end way to make it work so I think it's worth mentioning to newer players that you don't have to just adopt one strategy. There are other parts of my city that look a lot like the screenshot you posted.

Sanzio037
Dec 9, 2013
This looks way more involved than the last Sim City. Is it a nightmare to figure out? Are there good tutorials in game?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

It's pretty straight forward and hard to gently caress up as long as you're really conservative* for the first 7000 cims and then you unlock dense residential/commercial and then the game kind of plays itself while you play Traffic Manager 2015

*Maintain +$1,000 income

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sanzio037 posted:

This looks way more involved than the last Sim City. Is it a nightmare to figure out? Are there good tutorials in game?
This game is weird because I'll play it and then get frustrated by some problem (traffic) and quit, then later when I'm doing something mundane like feeding the cat or doing dishes I'll get struck by a possible solution and go back and play for an hour. It's kind of addictive.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

All your problems will be of your own making. Have fun!

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Trying to re-create Hamilton, Ontario. I find the game works best at about 2:3 scale, otherwise you get large gaps between streets, so that's what I'm working with. Most of the downtown done, with Westdale and McMaster completed. Just finished the Limeridge Mall area and Lincoln Alexander Parkway overpasses. All in all, fairly accurate recreation, though some concession had to be made (Particularly with the industrial sector).

Biggest inconsistency is Westdale is cramped- I need to move the streets to the east a little bit to smooth it all out.

The Harbour, on the other hand, is appropriately polluted.

Edit: Frankly, I appreciate how the real life highway layout actually works reasonably well.

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 06:26 on May 19, 2015

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012
Service building chat - are there any mods to just increase service radii by some reasonable amount (25%? 50%?) across the board? Quick workshop search doesn't turn anything up. Bumping up service strength instead of (or in addition to) radius would also be OK.

Basically I don't like having to spam services so aggressively to get stuff to level up, especially when it results in tons of wasted capacity. Your kid can only be in one school at once, drat it!

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Poizen Jam posted:

Trying to re-create Hamilton, Ontario. I find the game works best at about 2:3 scale, otherwise you get large gaps between streets, so that's what I'm working with. Most of the downtown done, with Westdale and McMaster completed. Just finished the Limeridge Mall area and Lincoln Alexander Parkway overpasses. All in all, fairly accurate recreation, though some concession had to be made (Particularly with the industrial sector).

Biggest inconsistency is Westdale is cramped- I need to move the streets to the east a little bit to smooth it all out.

The Harbour, on the other hand, is appropriately polluted.

Edit: Frankly, I appreciate how the real life highway layout actually works reasonably well.

That looks really cool, do you have a comparison map handy?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Supraluminal posted:

Service building chat - are there any mods to just increase service radii by some reasonable amount (25%? 50%?) across the board?
If you don't find a mod, it's pretty easy to do yourself in the building editor. Just load the thing up, crank up the radius, and save. Might take you ten minutes to do everything.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

It's happening!

New: European theme added
New: 72 European buildings in the European theme
New: Support for corner and adjacent buildings in the European theme
New: 3 maps added with European theme (Cliffside Bay, Foggy Hills and Grand River)
New: Tunnels for roads and rail added
New: Metro tunnels can be built at different levels

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

The patch just dropped

quote:

Full patch notes for Cities: Skylines 1.0.7 - 1.1.0

Features & New
New: European theme added
New: 72 European buildings in the European theme
New: Support for corner and adjacent buildings in the European theme
New: 3 maps added with European theme (Cliffside Bay, Foggy Hills and Grand River)
New: Tunnels for roads and rail added
New: Metro tunnels can be built at different levels
Options: V sync option added
Options: Invert Y mouse axis added

Editor & Modding
Launch options: added -noWorkshop to disable Steam workshop
Asset editor: Increased limit for bridge pillar count
Asset editor: Hedge added to residential props
Asset editor: Added custom vehicle importing
Asset editor: Added the ability to set custom thumbnails and tooltip images for all types of assets (in the save panel)
Asset editor: New editable properties exposed
Asset editor: Added ability to inherit building unlock milestone from template
Asset editor: vehicles have a Steam tag "Vehicle"
Asset editor: Fixed cut off text and missing spaces in the Properties box
Asset editor: Water Service buildings can now have proper pipe connections
Asset editor: Custom harbors and cargo harbors are now usable in-game
Asset editor: Custom airports now get visited by planes, like an actual airport
Asset editor: Fixed issue where some custom assets could not be loaded in-game after editing
Asset editor: Fixed missing texture for landfills
Asset Editor: Fixed a rare issue where holding and releasing the mouse button would not be recognized
Content manager: Introduced a new layout
Modding API: Added OnEnabled/OnDisabled support for IUserMod. Called everytime a mod is becoming active or inactive
Map editor: Fixed issue where users could place a water source outside the map area
Map editor: Fixed free camera hotkey not working

Bugfixes & Misc
Linux: support for JPG workshop previews added
Linux: users can now use numpad-Enter in-game
Linux: Fixed rare issue where users crashed due to a faulty asset
Fixed issue with 1x1 buildings "disappearing" when zoomed out too far
Fixed several localization issues
devInfo.txt is no longer needed
Achievements are now properly localized
Small contrast changes in some information windows to improve colorblind accessibility
Fixed issue where some elevated roads became immune to interaction
Metro and train lines now properly update when changed
Cruise ships no longer travel over land :’(
The 2x2 OreCrusher now has a purpose in life
Ireland is properly represented on the Union Jack
Cursor no longer disappears when you press Esc whilst rotating the camera
Adjusted upkeep cost of some roads to the one displayed in their tooltip
People no longer die when your city is at 0 population
Fixed an issue where right clicking a button would highlight it incorrectly
Fixed an issue where free camera mode was not enabled after viewing milestones
Fixed an issue where changing language in-game would not change language for some menus
Fixed an issue with mouse button key bindings
Fixed an issue where the options menu would not be closed properly by hitting the esc key
Fixed an issue where temporary save files would sometimes be visible
Fixed an issue where roads would snap to inaccessible sections of hydro dams
Fixed a graphics issue where text would sometimes be corrupted at the bottom of save and load menus
Trees in terrain heights view should now have the proper colors for their elevation
Fixed an issue where users could elevate the height of gravel paths, even though they could not place them
Fixed a minor graphical issue in the content manager
Fixed some text alignment problems
Text references to left and right mouse buttons now take left-handed mouse settings into account
Added confirmation prompt for Reset Unique Buildings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

This looks amazing