Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sout
Apr 24, 2014

HGH posted:

I dunno what you people are talking but I think we all know DSP is the best.

I'm not gunna comment on who's right, but I like that to Mitch "irresponsible muppet" was a step too far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

As much as I'd actually love to tear down on that despicable movement, I can't help but be reminded that we are only supposed to talk about it in the hellthread.

...which kind of sucks because as far as I can see it's borderline impossible to have a sensible conversation there, but I don't make the rules.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
he's right about Double Dragon Neon being a good game, despite Everything Else DSP says and does.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

paradoxGentleman posted:

As much as I'd actually love to tear down on that despicable movement, I can't help but be reminded that we are only supposed to talk about it in the hellthread.

...which kind of sucks because as far as I can see it's borderline impossible to have a sensible conversation there, but I don't make the rules.

Yeah no matter how good your intentions are or even where you discuss that topic it'll turn into a poo poo show before you can say "It's about ethics in games journalism".

I honestly agree with DSP on Neon being a good game and that IGN is all over the place on it's reviews sometimes. Does that make me an awful person?

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
RE: Popularity of LPs in Germany. I'm German and I'd like to know why let's plays are popular anywhere in the world. That said, my friends actually know what an LP is and that I make them. German LPers are mostly Johnny McYoutubes, though.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Golden Goat posted:

I honestly agree with DSP on Neon being a good game and that IGN is all over the place on it's reviews sometimes. Does that make me an awful person?

Even a broken clock is right twice. DD Neon is an excellent game.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

IGN is trying to tell us it's as good as God Hand.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

SelenicMartian posted:

IGN is trying to tell us it's as good as God Hand.

Gross, don't remind me of that review.

IGN posted:

The combat system is okay (at best), but player control, the camera, level design, enemy design and basically everything else flat-out sucks.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
Every DSP game review goes "THIS GAME IS DOGSHIT (I love it)"

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

So uh I kinda thought the "Look at my skeletons, bitch" video wasn't that funny and was just two general Xbox Live users wailing at each other.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Golden Goat posted:

So uh I kinda thought the "Look at my skeletons, bitch" video wasn't that funny and was just two general Xbox Live users wailing at each other.

It was funny because Cerulean86 is mocking DSP's commentary when he plays fighting games (which is pretty dead on), and DSP being DSP, doesn't notice this at all.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

TaurusOxford posted:

It was funny because Cerulean86 is mocking DSP's commentary when he plays fighting games (which is pretty dead on), and DSP being DSP, doesn't notice this at all.

DSP would probably pick a fight with recorded and edited sound clips from his own videos, and not get what is going on.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I dunno, yeah the bit after the match ended was funny cause DSP lists a ton of excuses but otherwise it's still just a video about an obnoxious shittlord playing against a less obnoxious dude.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Golden Goat posted:

DSP isn't a shithead because he liked DD Neon. He's a shithead because he presented that opinion in a churlish manner, and engaged in personal attacks against someone who didn't hold the same opinion.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Keeshhound posted:

DSP isn't a shithead because he liked DD Neon. He's a shithead because he presented that opinion in a churlish manner, and engaged in personal attacks against someone who didn't hold the same opinion.

This, basically. It's ok to have differing opinions from someone else. It's not cool to attack them and vilify them for it.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Keeshhound posted:

He's a shithead because he presented that opinion in a churlish manner, and engaged in personal attacks against someone who didn't hold the same opinion.

Oh yeah not saying here that he wasn't a shitheel in that conversation. It's a given that no matter what side he's on he'll be a prick about it.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Golden Goat posted:

It wasn't as good as advertised when I finally watched it; it gave me a laugh but I did love DSP losing really badly and then describing how bad the other guys was. That will never get old to me.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I did love how starts off with "I wonder if he knows that Quan Chi is nerfed" and ends with "I couldn't even play! It was delayed and I was trying to learn stuff while he just mashes buttons and wins."

Not to mention that him of all people decided to take a jab at the fact the guy's played over 700 matches.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Golden Goat posted:

Not to mention that him of all people decided to take a jab at the fact the guy's played over 700 matches.

That part was amazing :allears: "Haha what a loving nerd playing video games all day" *uploads 500 videos of himself whining at video games*

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Danaru posted:

That part was amazing :allears: "Haha what a loving nerd playing video games all day" *uploads 500 videos of himself whining at video games*

that's quite a few videos.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

sout posted:

that's quite a few videos.

And that is how he is fully employed doing LP. He seriously operates in sheer volume.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Didn't someone figure out the rough average for how often DSP puts a video up on just his main channel, not including the vlogs?

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 18, 2015

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Unfunny Poster posted:

Didn't someone figure out the rough average for how often DSP puts a video up on just his main channel, not including the vlogs?

I don't think anybody did specifically because that's insane.
Here's the stats for his channel though:
http://vidstatsx.com/DSPGaming/youtube-channel

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Golden Goat posted:

I don't think anybody did specifically because that's insane.
Here's the stats for his channel though:
http://vidstatsx.com/DSPGaming/youtube-channel

I attempted some super basic rough math based off of the data on http://socialblade.com/youtube/user/dspgaming/realtime

If we use April 15 2010 to be the start date, ignoring that he's been around since 2008, and simplify every year for the five years as 364 days it comes out that he's uploading 19.5 videos per day for 5 years.

If you go with, for the sake of simplicity, an April 2008 start date he's uploading 13.9 (or just 14) videos per day for 7 years.

This is slopped together quickly and I openly admit I'm poo poo at math, but even if these numbers were only 75% accurate that's still an absurd number of uploads per day.

Given that if you look at his most previous days worth of videos its not wholly inaccurate either. At the moment he has 20 videos that are less than a day old according to the metadata on YouTube. :psyduck:

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
He had an automated process, which I think was the real reason it took him so long to get off camera and go to capture card. Like he'd seriously play for 10-20 minutes, and hit some button that exported the video and uploaded it. It's why his videos never had descriptions or titles outside of [Game] pt [1-100].

So 3 hours of gameplay could net him like 12 videos at a clip.

edit: This is also why Twitch got mad at him for an insanely high bitrate - he'd use OBS at like 20 Mbps so he'd have a high-def 1080p series of videos for YouTube at the end of the day in addition to his stream. It's funny how he complained about needing high quality considering how much was recorded with a digital camera pointed at the screen.

slowbeef fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 18, 2015

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
For all the bad things about DSP, I still think everyone should watch his Minecraft videos. His childlike wonder and unbridled enjoyment over the game is absolutely worth watching. It's like that moment where the Grinch's heart grows in size. :3:

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Jamesman posted:

For all the bad things about DSP, I still think everyone should watch his Minecraft videos. His childlike wonder and unbridled enjoyment over the game is absolutely worth watching. It's like that moment where the Grinch's heart grows in size. :3:

I would like to hear him say "Oh Woooowww" without adding on "that's bullshit".

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'm looking forward to the "This is how you don't play" where he has full diamond armor and tools and manages to have a creeper sneak up behind him, blow him up and fling him into a magma pit where he then goes on a 10 minute rant about how there was nothing he could do and WOOOOOOOOW lets think about this guys, a creeper comes in from off camera and blows me up. loving Kojima.

VV It took him over 5 minutes (maybe more) to learn how to break a dirt block. I could understand not getting it if he never truly ever bothered to read how the game works, but he looks at the loving stream chat at least 5 times. How was it not full of "Punch the dirt blocks you blockhead"

Leal fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 18, 2015

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JQFNn4DBfU

Skip to 10:30 in the video. Everything before that is DSP saying Minecraft is pathetic garbage and he'll never play it followed by Youtube comments calling him a view-desperate hypocrite.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Funniest thing about Phil is always going to be him bitching that he couldn't find another job in Connecticut and so his only option was to make YouTube a career. About that same time I was working for a company that would have loved to have someone with his purported experience and was going on a crazy hiring spree. Like, if he just put his resume on Monster he would have had a job the next day. Yeah, the state's job market is pretty terrible overall (with a couple defense related bright spots) but , come on, you clearly didn't try.

I also love that his biography on this super creepy website that charts the lives of YouTube people is like an insane collection of failures

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

quote:

Quotes

"This is stupid, man!"

Who made this and honestly thought this was necessary.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You think that's bad, Pewdiepie has a wiki dedicated entirely to him and his videos that has 804 pages. Eight hundred and four articles.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
http://pewdiepie.wikia.com/wiki/It%27s_Raping_Time

quote:

It's Raping Time is a video / song put together by PewDiePie that included the song Shut Up (and Sleep with Me) by the German musician, singer and songwriter Sebastian Roth, or Sin with Sebastian. The video is composed of several Ao Oni singing about the deception of rape, and accompanied by PewDiePie's playthrough. The video starts with PewDiePie hiding from the Ao Oni in the closet. After that, the Ao Oni discovers him and starts to sing the song, where the Ao Oni's mouths are replaced with PewDie's, which are singing the song.

PewDiePie took down the video sometime in late 2012/early 2013, after realizing that rape was a serious matter, having admitted to this in his I'm sorry video, and that his rape jokes were offending some viewers.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

CJacobs posted:

after realizing that rape was a serious matter,

this is amazing

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
You can tell they're trying to make it sound good, but it really just makes him sound like a psychopath that never understood why rape is a bad thing.

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Drakengard 3 (PS3) (stopped at due to frustration, repetitve and boring combat, game running badly, and nonsensical storyline)
This is by far the most unique reason to quit playing from that list. A story from the Drakengard games was too much for him.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

DialTheDude posted:

This is by far the most unique reason to quit playing from that list. A story from the Drakengard games was too much for him.

I would not want to look at all the final boss videos he would have done if he finished that game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Drakengard 3's story IS pretty ridiculous. Whether it's good or bad ridiculous is nebulous at best.

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003

The best part is that he spent a few hours some evening on that page purging information and turning it into an advertisement for his channel and his girlfriend's etsy shop. It was all reverted a few days later.

He wasn't even subtle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
This is like youtube in a nutshell:

quote:

Amnesia: The Dark Descent (He played it because many of his fans were asking him for years to play it, but, upon discovering that Phil was not scared of the game, they stopped watching, and Phil stopped playing)

• Locked thread