Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
When shall we three meet again?

When thy PC ceases to defecate betwixt the sheets of thine bed in constance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
I can't remember which of you out there wanted to see more videos of people trying food and drink, but in any case, I've just done a taste test of Cadbury's new and very exciting Vegemite chocolate!
Yes, you read that right. Vegemite Chocolate.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You know, I often make fun of my American friends for not getting Cadbury products in the States.

Then you see poo poo like chocolate Vegemite.

Lupa, you've made me want to watch Baywatch again for the insanity, but I must ask: is the crazy distilled too much for your videos and most episodes are a slog of dead air interrupted by wacky, or are they insane all the way through?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

You know, I often make fun of my American friends for not getting Cadbury products in the States.

Lupa, you've made me want to watch Baywatch again for the insanity, but I must ask: is the crazy distilled too much for your videos and most episodes are a slog of dead air interrupted by wacky, or are they insane all the way through?

We have Cadbury products in the United States

manufactured by the Hershey Corporation.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I thought Hershey was trying to kill the Cadbury line down there?

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
Linkara continues to be screwed over by his Patreon sponsors. I can't help but think there's more than a little naked truth poking out in his opening comments for this video (and at the 7.30-ish mark!).

http://blip.tv/at4w/at4w-my-cage-7195769

'My Cage' is an unfunny piece of crap webstrip and Linkara has to spend twenty minutes skirting around the fact that it is an unfunny piece of crap webstrip, presumably because whoever sponsored him is an uberfan or something.

Honestly - He starts the review off by describing the websomic as 'good' (or, at least, 'not bad') and then goes on to show is the comic in all it's Dilbert/Garfield-flavoured blandness.

I especially like the part where he tries to understand how an unfunny, lovely joke works - presumably labouring under the impression that it must work because it's in the strip and thus it must just be him not getting it.

This was a poo poo episode and I share his joy that he's doing a Punisher comic next week.

KayTee fucked around with this message at 07:18 on May 19, 2015

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Arcsquad12 posted:

Eh, Cadbury isn't *that* good, although it's definitely a world away from Hershey's. For a cheap chocolate it's perfectly decent, but I'm not that fond of really cheap chocolate anymore. More of a Lindt fan and/or other kinds of upscale chocolate. I'm a chocolate snob in some ways, not really others - I love white chocolate, and I don't care if you tell me that it's "not real chocolate." Who cares? If you like it you like it.

If you want a better version of what the vegemite chocolate is trying to do, see if you can get yourself a block of the lindt sea salt caramel dark chocolate. Caramelly, salty, dark, savoury sweet etc.

Oh that reminds me, at my brother's local grocery store (a very fancy grocery, sort of like whole foods) we saw a tin of McIlhenny Tabasco chocolate, which of course we bought. It was better than the vegemite chocolate, but it wasn't as good as lindt's chilli chocolate. I detected that slightly vinegary taste that has always turned me off Tabasco, and it wasn't as warming as most chilli chocolates. But it was a lot better than the vegemite chocolate and at least it came in a really cute tin.

Infamous Sphere fucked around with this message at 07:54 on May 19, 2015

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
*EDIT* never mind

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic?
Australia rather like the US in that it's a huge country and has a variety of different ecosystems in it, from rainforests in the north, to coastal temperate climates, coastal tropical climates, cold mountainous areas where you can die of hypothermia, grasslands, dry woodlands, to climates that begin to verge on English climates once you get as far south as Tasmania. Here in Canberra we get four seasons, and right now we're enjoying some beautiful autumn colours.

edit: ok I suppose you decided not to ask that question. Righto then.

HardHead
Nov 4, 2009

Bouncer, Hey bouncer.

KayTee posted:

'My Cage' is an unfunny piece of crap webstrip and Linkara has to spend twenty minutes skirting around the fact that it is an unfunny piece of crap webstrip, presumably because whoever sponsored him is an uberfan or something.

Oh man. The megathread was just talking about this guy yesterday.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Hey, does anyone have a link to the My Cage debacle when the author got himself a forums account and self-destructed?

Ghostlight posted:

I have a link to his ignominious return, but not the original debacle.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Thanks to Ghostlight finding the gassed return, I was able to do some poking around based on My Cage Writer's reg-date and found both the one in megathread 11 and the one he started in BSS.

BSS:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3330725

CSM 11: drat, that's a fine elephant [man, that was 5 years ago?]:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3290229&userid=166271

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Infamous Sphere posted:

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic?
Australia rather like the US in that it's a huge country and has a variety of different ecosystems in it, from rainforests in the north, to coastal temperate climates, coastal tropical climates, cold mountainous areas where you can die of hypothermia, grasslands, dry woodlands, to climates that begin to verge on English climates once you get as far south as Tasmania. Here in Canberra we get four seasons, and right now we're enjoying some beautiful autumn colours.

edit: ok I suppose you decided not to ask that question. Righto then.
Yeah, I just saw Mad Max: Fury Road so at first I thought I was being snarky and then I realized I was just stupid. A better question would be why, in your opinion, does your nation lend itself to post-apocalyptic films such as the Mad Max series.

Can we still be friends? :ohdear:

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 08:24 on May 19, 2015

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

KKall posted:

I knew I shouldn't have done a Macbeth adaptation this year.

Oops I just wrote the thing.

Now I won't be done with it until, like August.

You'll have to exorcise the evil spirits.

("Hot potato, orchestra stalls, Puck will make amends!")

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wheat Loaf posted:

You'll have to exorcise the evil spirits.

("Hot potato, orchestra stalls, Puck will make amends!")

You forgot the nose tweak! :argh:

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010

Benny the Snake posted:

Yeah, I just saw Mad Max: Fury Road so at first I thought I was being snarky and then I realized I was just stupid. A better question would be why, in your opinion, does your nation lend itself to post-apocalyptic films such as the Mad Max series.

Can we still be friends? :ohdear:

Yeah, we can still be friends! I'm not grumpy.

Hmm, I don't really know. I haven't seen any of the Max films. I think in a sense Australian filmmakers like to film things out in the desert, because it's an environment unique to Australia. Ozsploitation probably really enhanced our reputation as being a place full of horrible environmental conditions and fearsome animals, which we do have, but the vast majority of people in the country aren't in constant contact with them. (For instance, I saw more snakes in Canada in a month than I saw in Australia in 2 years.) We don't have a huge film industry here, and it's possible that stuff that's grim/serious/genre-ey is easier to export than comedies/drama, which might rely more on an understanding of the Australian sense of humour, or might be more likely to be remade for American audiences (I can't think of a film example, but the suburban drama TV show The Slap has recently been remade in the states.)
I think as a film industry Australians try and focus on our points of difference, rather than our common ground with other countries. There's good things and bad things about that. It does reinforce all the various stereotypes about Australia, but it also sells, whereas a drama or comedy might not get off the ground or have much in the way of export appeal (or people might prefer to make it with big name actors, doing American accents.) I'm not sure whether or not to blame ourselves, for continually pushing that image of ourselves, or to blame other countries, for wanting to buy into that idea incredibly hard. Probably a combination of the two.
There's lots of articles complaining about "what's wrong with Australian film?" or "Why do all Australian films have to be grim arty bleak dramas?" But hell, we have an advantage that other non-American countries don't always have - our films are in English and don't have to be subtitled or dubbed (or remade to avoid the problem of people who refuse to watch non-English language films.)

Infamous Sphere fucked around with this message at 09:19 on May 19, 2015

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You forgot the nose tweak! :argh:

Aaoow!

Anyway, the Scottish Play has nothing on a real masterpiece like The Bloody Murder of the Foul Prince Romero and His Enormous-Bosomed Wife.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!

Benny the Snake posted:

Its like a national psyche/paranoia thing. There are certain fears that are easily recognisable amongst people of a certain country and film makers love to capitalise on that. Japan for instance is still producing a lot atomic bomb related media.

In Australia its vehicular death. There are some parts of the country where the percentage of young males killed in car accidents is roughly the same as that faced by soldiers in the trenches of WW1.
George Miller was a medical doctor and saw alot of these horrific accidents up close and wanted to make what was essentially a car crash movie. And if you look at the original Mad Max you can totally see it, especially compared to the other Mad Max films. The original has the most devastating un-comic book like crashes in the series and that really resonated with a lot of people. The post apocalyptic element was initially just a nice backdrop for the crashes but was eventually fleshed out and become more of the focus in the later ones.

And of course there is the age ol classic of "those darn kids don't follow the rules".

In Peter Weirs film The Cars that Ate Paris a town is cut off from the rest of world in part because the kids terrorise the roads in their death machines. The VWs in Fury Road are a homage to that films iconic vehicle.
And in Dead End Drive In the government lures unemployed kids into drive in theatres where they are instantly locked up to prevent them from running amok in wider society.
So yeah all of those films and a few others touch on crazy kids in cars killing themselves.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Yeah, anywhere you go you are guaranteed to see at least the government's "Don't drink and drive" campaign in some form, usually as roadside billboards or a Booze Bus (roadside alcohol/drug test).

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
That's a specifically Australian preoccupation? I suppose here you're far less likely to die from gun violence, although to get a drivers license here it seems like teenagers have to jump through more hoops than they do in the states. I was watching an American TV show (The Fosters, if you're wondering) and a 16 year old character took his 15 year old sibling for a driving lesson. Here, you can't even be on your provisional license until you reach 16 and nine months - before that it's a learners, and you have to be in the car with someone with a full license. And there's at least three years of provisional license, sometimes with a whole lot of other conditions - while you're on provisional you can't supervise a learner driver, and in some states you can't drive above a certain speed limit and you have to have a blood alcohol level of 0.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Infamous Sphere posted:

That's a specifically Australian preoccupation? I suppose here you're far less likely to die from gun violence, although to get a drivers license here it seems like teenagers have to jump through more hoops than they do in the states. I was watching an American TV show (The Fosters, if you're wondering) and a 16 year old character took his 15 year old sibling for a driving lesson. Here, you can't even be on your provisional license until you reach 16 and nine months - before that it's a learners, and you have to be in the car with someone with a full license. And there's at least three years of provisional license, sometimes with a whole lot of other conditions - while you're on provisional you can't supervise a learner driver, and in some states you can't drive above a certain speed limit and you have to have a blood alcohol level of 0.

Teenage binge drinking is a thing, and they have cars. Do the math on that one.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Well that's true, but...do teenagers not binge drink in other countries? We can't be the only ones.

Then again, Australia's culture of drinking and the US' higher drinking age....

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

There was a documentary on car culture in the north of Tasmania, and some of these kids were closing their eyes while going around corners because it was the only excitement they could get in their lives. This is the sort of feeling or idea that films like Mad Max are trying to bring out. You don't just drive a car because it gets you from A to B, you drive because it feels good, its exciting and the more dangerous it gets the better.

Obviously this doesn't describe everyone in the country but its nonetheless a highly recognised concept that people just get it when they see the Night Rider trying to run down a woman with a pram.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
So what you're saying is that Mad Max will make no sense 10 years after Google Cars are mandatory.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

And of course you don't need to know any of this to enjoy these films much in the same way you don't need to know about Japan and the bomb to like or even get Akira or Godzilla. Its just a nice layer to the film and the context in which it was made.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

Jsor posted:

So what you're saying is that Mad Max will make no sense 10 years after Google Cars are mandatory.

That would be the apocalypse.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
They'd probably make up some excuse like "Only analog cars work now, digital ones got their circuits fried" or some such.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRbTMYflcyY

yesssssssssssss :allears:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Infamous Sphere posted:

Well that's true, but...do teenagers not binge drink in other countries? We can't be the only ones.

Then again, Australia's culture of drinking and the US' higher drinking age....

Oh, America has a culture of drinking, especially among desperate young people. The reason we have such a high drinking age is because there were so many traffic accidents when it was 18.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Jay O posted:

Woof, not in my experiences with the Geek Squad it ain't. :smith:

Just google it, that's how I lasted long enough at that job.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Thank you to both Wrageowrapper and Infamous Sphere for the explainations. "Fury Road" was my first Mad Max film and my closest analogue was my favorite videogame and post-apocalypse series of all time--the Fallout series. Although the series was very much influenced by the Mad Max films, there's no driving in those games. At all. In fact, if the aesthetics in the Mad Max films are punk-rock and Australian car culture, Fallout is straight-up American 50s cold war paranoia and b-movie science fiction. Maybe just a pinch of Golden Age Westerns as well. It's become a common complaint how, now that Bethesda has the liscence and have brought the games into modern 3d and first-person perspective, there's no motorcycles. That's probably how Fallout 3 was based so much on the Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion engine and a lot of fans figure out that, even with fast travel, walking/runing around in the wasteland gets tedious after a while.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 17:05 on May 19, 2015

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

Infamous Sphere posted:

I can't remember which of you out there wanted to see more videos of people trying food and drink, but in any case, I've just done a taste test of Cadbury's new and very exciting Vegemite chocolate!
Yes, you read that right. Vegemite Chocolate.
While the bar didn't sound that bad, it was interesting to hear more about Vegemite and get a better description of what it's actually like. Thanks!

Arcsquad12 posted:

In most cases the episodes are genuinely that funny all the way through (and sometimes I leave some stuff out you might find funny). Occasionally though there's a slog episode with too many montages. Don't watch the last two seasons in Hawaii if you have a short attention span because those are absolutely difficult to sit through. David Hasselhoff is basically cameoing in season 10, and season 11 he's gone entirely. Jason Mamoa is a regular cast member though so that's funny to see. Season 1 is probably not that funny on its own most of the time, but that's because it actually verges into decent show territory.

So I guess the short answer is, if you want to watch it all the way through most of them really are that hilarious. If you want a specific ep recommendation I'd say The Runaways from season 5; it's my favorite episode. Little Richard, Virgin Cola blimp, random musical numbers, and runaway Dickensian orphan children. It's amazing.
(BTW if you're looking that ep up the IMDB order is wrong, so if it's a DVD rip it's episode 20.)

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

quote:

HardHead posted:

Oh man. The megathread was just talking about this guy yesterday.
Ghostlight posted:
I have a link to his ignominious return, but not the original debacle.[/url]

Those last few posts have been facinating and all but I really don't want this to get lost. Holy poo poo, what a baby.

Reading those few bits, I can conclude that there is a significantly greater than zero chance that we now know who the patron for that episode was. It's my headcanon anyway.

Benny the Snake posted:

:words: I like Post Apocalypse Stuff :words:
If you really do like the genre and want more stuff then please do have some recommendations: You may already be aware of Threads. If not - watch Threads. But brace yourself first. It is not an easy watch.

Cormac McCarthy's The Road is a not-poo poo film and pretty good book and is an inspiration for Fallout 3.

And then you need to find and watch A Boy and His Dog. There's a reason your pet dog through (most) the fallout series is called Dogmeat.

Edit:

HOLY GOD - Nearly a month after the event Spoony posts a Vlog of the 3rd film his brother watched as part of a 24-hour marathon.. You don't even have to pay attention to the opinions expressed, just check out all that editing!

KayTee fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 19, 2015

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
New Ross' Game Dungeon. I haven't watched more than the first few minutes but this should be... something. A game called Bip Bop II.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

The game doesn't seem all the interesting in itself, but it's cool that Ross pulled off some game preservation for this video.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010

Miss Wallace posted:

While the bar didn't sound that bad, it was interesting to hear more about Vegemite and get a better description of what it's actually like. Thanks!

That's ok! Mind you, while Australians still defend vegemite, we still secretly enjoy non-commonwealth reactions to it. (Well, non-British/NZ - they have marmite, so they just see vegemite as a not as good version of marmite. It was invented as a substitute for marmite, so they're technically right.) I took some vegemite with me when I was overseas, and got a woman from Michigan and a woman from Ontario to try it. Michigan was more prepared, she'd had marmite before, so she did eat a whole piece of toast with it. Ontario ate one bite of a quarter of a piece of toast and immediately cried "It's so salty! It's like soy sauce! It's the saltiest thing I've ever eaten this early in the morning!"
I should have recorded it.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Also have to remember to have a relatively thin smear of it on your toast/crackers. I've seen people put a massive amount of it on before eating.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

KayTee posted:

HOLY GOD - Nearly a month after the event Spoony posts a Vlog of the 3rd film his brother watched as part of a 24-hour marathon.. You don't even have to pay attention to the opinions expressed, just check out all that editing!
Uh Cane Toads can kill you if you like them, check and mate spoony :smugbert:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah, my dad knew a guy who said they were OK when they docked in Sydney. Poor guy was in Sick Bay for the whole trip back to San Diego.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

achillesforever6 posted:

:goonsay: They should be called Teenage Mutant Ninja Tortoises guys, god.

I got like 10 seconds in that video. Spoony looks to be just an unpleasant person to be around.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PassTheRemote posted:

:goonsay: They should be called Teenage Mutant Ninja Tortoises guys, god.

I got like 10 seconds in that video. Spoony looks to be just an unpleasant person to be around.

He's appeared in some of the Game Chaser's videos, and yeah he comes off a little caustic. Good-natured, but still caustic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010

Testekill posted:

Also have to remember to have a relatively thin smear of it on your toast/crackers. I've seen people put a massive amount of it on before eating.

Oh yeah definitely. I specifically supervised both of the taste-testers, to make sure they didn't do this. I actually spread vegemite on the Ontarian's toast for her, so that this wouldn't happen.

• Locked thread