Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008
In Texas, though this may be a federal law question since GFE's and mortgage brokers are governed at a state and federal level:

Mortgage broker screws up the GFE. For the lender's title insurance+lender services the put a number X(Part A line# 4 on the GFE). When you get to closing, HUD-1 claims that number is 2X. As far as I can tell, that number on the GFE is only allowed to go up more then 10% if you did not use the lender's title insurance choice and went with your own choice. Obviously this is a good rate so the mortgagee wants to get the mortgage done with, but what recourse is there here short of walking away from the mortgage and using the 3-day right to cancel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flann
May 11, 2009
I live in a 3 bedroom apartment in a large building in Jersey City, NJ with two roommates. All our of names are on the lease.
One of our roommates is planning on having her parents stay at our apartment in her room for one month as they visit from another country. She travels for work and flies to a different city for the week and comes home on weekends. She is planning to take her parents with her to the other city with her for one week, work remotely from home another week with them staying in the apartment, and for the remaining weeks have them stay in the apartment without her.
Both myself and the other roommate are uncomfortable with this as we do not know her parents and she does not plan on having them contribute monetarily. We are all working women in our 20s so the addition of two parents really throws off the vibe of the apartment. Don't really want to walk around without a bra on or in short shorts when there are two elderly people just chilling.
I have spoke with my property manager and they define a guest as someone staying for less than 14 days.
I want to know my legal rights. Especially considering they will be in the apartment for an extended amount of time without her being physically there. Is this considered trespassing?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Flann posted:

I want to know my legal rights. Especially considering they will be in the apartment for an extended amount of time without her being physically there. Is this considered trespassing?
This is more an E/N question than a legal question as the law does not generally protect apartment vibes from the nefarious intrusions of the elderly.

If your landlord doesn't care there isn't anything you can do but move out or deal with it.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Flann posted:

I live in a 3 bedroom apartment in a large building in Jersey City, NJ with two roommates. All our of names are on the lease.
One of our roommates is planning on having her parents stay at our apartment in her room for one month as they visit from another country. She travels for work and flies to a different city for the week and comes home on weekends. She is planning to take her parents with her to the other city with her for one week, work remotely from home another week with them staying in the apartment, and for the remaining weeks have them stay in the apartment without her.
Both myself and the other roommate are uncomfortable with this as we do not know her parents and she does not plan on having them contribute monetarily. We are all working women in our 20s so the addition of two parents really throws off the vibe of the apartment. Don't really want to walk around without a bra on or in short shorts when there are two elderly people just chilling.
I have spoke with my property manager and they define a guest as someone staying for less than 14 days.

Is roommate going to stop paying rent during that time? If not, why would mom and dad pay extra?
No, they're not trespassing.
You(se) may be in technical violation of the lease, so the landlord could kick you all out, though this is unlikely.
Your roommate should have asked you(se) if you minded.
If she didn't ask you first, you(se) should have spoken up.
Talk to your roommate about your concerns; they're legitimate. How you're currently handling it, not so much.

Flann
May 11, 2009
I did speak up and told her I was uncomfortable with this arrangement. She did not care and reacted very emotionally. She has given me a weeks notice.

The laws I have been researching regarding guests is kinda confusing since there is a lot of information regarding hospitality laws, and not so much agreements between co tenants.
Is it correct that I could technically give my keys to an acquaintance (or any stranger off the street for that matter) and let them live in my room as a "guest"?

Flann fucked around with this message at 22:13 on May 15, 2015

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
yes

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Rent out your room on AirBnB for the entire time they're there, spend the money on another AirBnB apartment that costs the same.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Rent out your room on AirBnB for the entire time they're there, spend the money on another AirBnB apartment that costs the same.

Offer void in Santa Monica

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

This would be the best solution ever posted in the legal questions thread, if it weren't for the fact that this would be double-loving the third roommate.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

Flann posted:

I did speak up and told her I was uncomfortable with this arrangement. She did not care and reacted very emotionally. She has given me a weeks notice.

The laws I have been researching regarding guests is kinda confusing since there is a lot of information regarding hospitality laws, and not so much agreements between co tenants.
Is it correct that I could technically give my keys to an acquaintance (or any stranger off the street for that matter) and let them live in my room as a "guest"?

Your co-tenant can't 'give you notice', tell her to gently caress off.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Filboid Studge posted:

Your co-tenant can't 'give you notice', tell her to gently caress off.

I assume she means "gave her a week's notice of her parents coming", not "gave her one week to move out"

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

Ooohhhhh.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

The legal advice subreddit really is the greatest thing ever.

quote:

So I've researched it, and its in the constitution to allow you to drive for private reasons(non commercial) without a licence. The city is the one that puts sanctions on citizens. Sadly I'm lacking information regarding fighting it. I've seen regular citizens and lawyers fight and win, sadly they don't post about their process. I have a few points to stand on once I get into the court room but I know theirs some afidavids or something I can file ahead of the court date. If it helps I reside in Knoxville Tn. If someone has information in these regards I would appreciate it. Its never easy fighting the governments ponzi schemes. I'll do the leg work if need be if someone can point me in the right direction to attack this. Thank you.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
I caused an apartment fire -- Colorado -- Asbestos -- Contraband in apartment -- I have several questions

quote:

So I was boiling down some solvent on my stove to make hash and it caught fire and almost instantly the kitchen was engulfed. Got my arm and face pretty bad 2nd degree burns. Thought it was fine to do since there was no open flame but that is neither here nor there. It happened so fast I didn't have time to grab anything. I ran outside and didn't even have shoes.

I DO have renters insurance. 100k coverage. The insurance people have been very helpful and put me up in a hotel for a couple of months. I'm pretty sure there is more than 100k in damage though. With 8 units displaced, am I also liable for their damages/relocation costs as well? What happens if the damages exceed my liability coverage? If I get sued, should I file for bankruptcy? Is there anything else I can do to protect myself?

I'm also concerned because I have some illegal drugs in my unit as well. They are contained within a box. Will the contractors OR the insurance people open the box? If they do open it, and see the drugs, will they call the police? Is it likely that the police will conduct their own investigation and search the apartment? If I have the insurance guy with the hazmat suit go in and grab the box, can I tell him to not open it?

If you ever think you're having a lovely day, that reddit is the place to go.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

that does bring up some questions:

Assuming he'd been doing a legit cooking activity (and properly used a fire extinguisher etc), would he still be liable for damage/relocation for other tenants (via insurance subrogation if need be)?

Say he were doing something totally legal on state and federal level and he wouldn't be liable for other damages as a result of this activity. If the activity suddenly changes to one that's legal on the state level but illegal at federal, the insurance company can still deny his claim, right?

Would any of his liabilities be able to be discharged through BK since they resulted from illegal activity?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Do we have a best of reddit thread anywhere? The night is dark and full of terrors and Reddit is the entirety of it.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

Do we have a best of reddit thread anywhere? The night is dark and full of terrors and Reddit is the entirety of it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bestoflegaladvice is a good start.

obviously I fucked it
Oct 6, 2009
Hey, goons, I have a question about internet stalking laws between states. My husband and I have an email from his lunatic ex (from 8 years ago) who has sent emails randomly throughout the years; my husband has sent them on to me. SHe's a Borderline PD. We're both tired of her, have been tired of her for a long time. He doesn't respond to her and as of her last letter a year ago, I told her I would be the only person reading her emails. She would have no contact with him, only me and I wanted none with her. She was told not to write, not to call, not try in any way to contact us. Now she has.

My question is, how do I go about sussing out the cyber staking laws between states? (Maine and Utah. Is there even a thing between states? I dunno, poo poo.) Do I send her a reply telling her all emails will be sent to the police or do I say police of one state or of the other? I have no idea how to go about this. But she needs to get the message that her contact will be referred to the proper people AFAIK in order to establish a pattern of illegal unwanted attention.

Oh, yeah, the common sense option of ignoring her isn't likely to work. Last time we did that she showed up living across the street from us.Simply blocking her emails is not the best option as she just emails/calls/writes other relatives when she thinks my husband isn't going to pay her any attention. Bitch is crazy.
Thanks for you help in advance.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Family law lawyer. You're probably looking for a TRO or similar. This is not all that simple a problem because there's actually a lot of variance in cyberstalking/cyber harassment law across states, and cross state boundary harassment makes it even harder to follow what law applies when.

So yeah - find a family law lawyer, preferably one with some experience in cyber stalking and harassment.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Kill her

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Call your local police dept on the non emergency line? IDK.

obviously I fucked it
Oct 6, 2009

LOVE TO.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Maricopa County, Arizona:

Do dashcams, GPS or any other devices offer any legal protection against being ticketed for speeding?
Like if the Officer writes a ticket for 75 and the dashcam/gps shows 55, is that going to matter at all in court?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Do dashcams, GPS or any other devices offer any legal protection against being ticketed for speeding?
Like if the Officer writes a ticket for 75 and the dashcam/gps shows 55, is that going to matter at all in court?

I recently fought a ticket and won with the data from my progressive snapshot in Phoenix so yes

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Without a detailed description of how to get away with it, this is a worthless post.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

nm posted:

Without a detailed description of how to get away with it, this is a worthless post.

Doesn't that establish an attorney-client relationship :v:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

FordPRefectLL posted:

I recently fought a ticket and won with the data from my progressive snapshot in Phoenix so yes

Well, that and making note of the gold-fringed flag behind the judge, and I suspect you hadn't entered into joinder with the legal fiction created by the state

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Big mistake - now you've set yourself up to be the stalker.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Bad Munki posted:

Well, that and making note of the gold-fringed flag behind the judge, and I suspect you hadn't entered into joinder with the legal fiction created by the state

poo poo. This is exactly why I'm asking. Having a video that includes speed data seems like a great piece of evidence based on my experience playing Phoenix Wright, but I know enough about law to know that nothing makes sense.

obviously I fucked it
Oct 6, 2009
No, Hot dog, I'd only have to hunt her down and interact with her once. ;)

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

nm posted:

LMGTFY:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7hob4Xj-po

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Yes and no. If you show the information to the prosecutor during pretrial, they may dismiss your case, offer you a deal, or tell you they don't believe you and agree to let the judge decide.

Your biggest problem is going to be successfully introducing the evidence in Court. The rules of evidence apply, and you have to jump through multiple procedural hoops or the judge won't allow you to present the evidence. If you can get it in though, then you're set.

Edit: This is my preemptive 'shut up' to Hot dog.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

blarzgh posted:

Edit: This is my preemptive 'shut up' to Hot dog.

Look at you, all poaching clients up in here.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Bad Munki posted:

Look at you, all poaching clients up in here.

Life on the Traffic Ticket beat is hard.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

blarzgh posted:

Life on the Traffic Ticket beat is hard.

I was 100% about to post "listen to this guy, he's a traffic ticket lawyer."

I'm thinking about moving to open my own traffic ticket shop to defend all your cases. 200 bucks, guaranteed dismissal or you pay nothing!

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

blarzgh posted:

This is my preemptive 'shut up' to Hot dog.

Leopold Stotch
Jun 30, 2007
How is afidavids filed

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
Some not so quick questions I'm going to frame as quick questions.

I live in Ontario, Canada and I'm going to be taking an ex-roommate to small claims court. I was in a roommate situation with her where landlord tenant laws do not apply (because she was my "landlord" and shared a common space with me). Long story short I was homeless for a month despite paying rent because she physically attacked me until she drove me out, tried to destroy my work station that I use to work from home and then changed the locks so I couldn't get my things back. I had called the cops on her several times, including the night I had to flee. She then claimed she had someone else move in and had destroyed all the things too bulky for me to take with me (ie furniture).

Funny thing is she did this all through emails so it's not proving she destroyed my things, it's proving what was destroyed. I have 3 big issues with this.

1 - I had some antique items that cannot be replaced. They're calligraphy writing nibs that were discontinued in 1910 and took me over a year to find an unopened box on ebay. The few sites that sell them individually price them at 3-5$ each and I need 150 replaced; Do I list them as the original price I got them for off ebay or what it'd cost to replace them?

2 - I don't have the receipts of the furniture and other items that were left behind because they were in a box that was destroyed with the rest of my things. I do have photos of those things in the room I was renting though. Can I just print out the page from the ikea site for how much it would cost, pair it with the photo and use that as a guide for how I calculated how much I'm suing for?

3 - I have a tablet monitor that you draw on that my boss bought me for work (think a cintiq). It's a chinese knock off brand though and they no longer make the one I have, and can't do repairs. The ex-roommate smashed it into a wall and killed it so I had to order a replacement. Can I use the fact I had to order a new one as evidence she destroyed the last one?

Also, I have affidavits from people like my boss about the month of missed work I'm also suing for, as well as a few friends and previous roommates I lived with before moving into this woman's apartment verifying I owned specific things and their costs. What else can I do to make sure to convince the court/judge I owned these things and that she owes me $X for them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Not knowing anything about Canadian Small Claims Court, I would say that you should bring every conceivable piece of potentially probative evidence in terms of value, and be prepared to give testimony on each item, its value, and how the evidence you brought supports and explains the value you testified to.

I don't think you can predict what will get into evidence and what won't, so you wouldn't want to leave anything at home that could possibly be the only thing that will make it in.

I'd also do a handy dandy spreadsheet on Drive showing each item of damage, its value, and the evidence that support its value. It shouldn't be admissible (but you can try) but it will help you keep your poo poo straight.