Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
all apologies
May 13, 2008

woah
I got a letter saying all my GI Bill stuff for this summer semester is good to go, ect, was just wondering in relation to when school starts (say, June 15th)...when should I be expecting my book stipend? If I read the letter correctly I swear its telling me that is posts the day before the semester in question starts (June 14th)

?

Also:

I know I qualify for the yellow ribbon program, I mailed in my copy of my initial contract and have it saying I qualify for it on the same letter as the ones I was describing above ^

Was wondering (FL resident) what other grants or money could I be going after? Anything im not taking advantage of? Other than the GI Bill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

all apologies posted:

I got a letter saying all my GI Bill stuff for this summer semester is good to go, ect, was just wondering in relation to when school starts (say, June 15th)...when should I be expecting my book stipend? If I read the letter correctly I swear its telling me that is posts the day before the semester in question starts (June 14th)

?

Also:

I know I qualify for the yellow ribbon program, I mailed in my copy of my initial contract and have it saying I qualify for it on the same letter as the ones I was describing above ^

Was wondering (FL resident) what other grants or money could I be going after? Anything im not taking advantage of? Other than the GI Bill

I have no idea when the stipend hits. Seems like it comes at a reasonable time every semester, but if it's a huge concern just buy the books yourself and keep the stipend money.

The Pel Grant every year. Pays out Fall and Spring. Get on FAFSA and grab that one. It's pretty much guaranteed money. You might not get the full amount possible if you're coming straight off of active duty paychecks.

edit: If you're coming off fourish years of active duty(?) and you didn't squirrel enough away to buy books.. see if there's still time to re-enlist.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

all apologies posted:

?

Also:

Filing for FAFSA will cover all grants applicable to you, your school, and state. Scholarships or other poo poo is handled through your school. Ask your financial aid office or check out the website for info.

Yellow Ribbon is automatic. I'm drawing it at my college. It requires no extra work, at least for me. Book stipend ought to arrive before the semester starts. Key word ought.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
So I assume things like the Pell get approved or cut down based on income? If so, how do measure your income, tax return?

I ask because my taxable income has hit nil since I get out of the army, and it's just the disability fun bucks. I did get in a full year's of work on my last tax return though.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I didn't get any Pell Grant money for this current semester or last because of my income + unemployment. However, I should be able to get some for fall. I just logged in to my already completed application and I can't see where I have or have not been awarded any money. Do I have to check with my school?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
^^^^check with your financial aid department. You might need to update the school on your financial situation.

not caring here posted:

So I assume things like the Pell get approved or cut down based on income? If so, how do measure your income, tax return?

I ask because my taxable income has hit nil since I get out of the army, and it's just the disability fun bucks. I did get in a full year's of work on my last tax return though.

Tax return yes. I've said it a bunch before; if you're tax return shows income from a job that you don't have such as the military then file for a loss of income appeal explaining the circumstances. All FAFSA sees is your previous year's income divorced of context. The filing process is simple and worth the effort.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Thanks dude, exactly what I wanted.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug
Quick question.

I'm a reservist that has 100% post 9/11 and I'm getting my stuff together to go back to school. If I do annual tour or any sort of orders that gives me BAH while enrolled will that mess with the BAH I get from going to school?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Ckwiesr posted:

Quick question.

I'm a reservist that has 100% post 9/11 and I'm getting my stuff together to go back to school. If I do annual tour or any sort of orders that gives me BAH while enrolled will that mess with the BAH I get from going to school?

No. It does not work like disability, where you have to pay back money if you're currently drilling.

all apologies
May 13, 2008

woah

OZYMANDICKASS posted:

I have no idea when the stipend hits. Seems like it comes at a reasonable time every semester, but if it's a huge concern just buy the books yourself and keep the stipend money.

The Pel Grant every year. Pays out Fall and Spring. Get on FAFSA and grab that one. It's pretty much guaranteed money. You might not get the full amount possible if you're coming straight off of active duty paychecks.

edit: If you're coming off fourish years of active duty(?) and you didn't squirrel enough away to buy books.. see if there's still time to re-enlist.

i did 6, thanks for being a smartass

Nah was just curiopus when it comes, not hurting, jus wanna know when that extra change will be coming in is all.

--Also, when should I expect my first GI Bill housing payment (in relation to my school starting June 15th)?

all apologies fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 11, 2015

all apologies
May 13, 2008

woah

not caring here posted:

I just uploaded my data with my IRS PIN that I somehow remembered, for 14-15 I got like 7 something, then next year 1,200. It just does it based off your tax info. I just did it too and it already hit.

The school said once my GI Bill payment comes to them it will offset the PELL grant and a few weeks into my first semester i will get some green piece of mail with a card in it asking me how I want my refund money

As I understood it, I dunno.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Some background on me:

Active Duty Officer (I've been in 9 years and was prior enlisted, so I'm eligible for 100% of the post 9/11 GI Bill)
I want to get my Masters

The Coast Guard offers some Post Grad programs where you basically put your name in a hat after taking the GMAT/GRE and apply for certain programs-if you get picked up, you go to school full time and that's your job for 2 years or whatever the program takes (some are a year, some are up to three years like law). You incur a service obligation for doing this and you have to do a pay-back tour.

While that would be great, I don't want to count on that being my only option for getting a Masters, which is why I'm here.

I'm thinking of pursuing a Masters while on Active Duty at an online school. TA will pay up to $3375/year, but I would be responsible for the rest.

The one school that looks like it's worth anything so far is Norwich University online. For an MBA, it's 18 months of school, which after TA, would still leave me with about $25k in out of pocket costs (the school is about $31k). I'm not prepared to pay that out of pocket, so I'm thinking of tapping into my 9/11 GI Bill.

I spoke with my ESO, and he was fairly clueless as he hasn't helped many people with this and says it's mainly between me and the VA rep at the school to make sure poo poo runs smoothly, which I understand. He did say that I could use my 9/11 GI Bill to pay the rest of the school and I wouldn't incur any out of pocket costs, but would lose some months from my GI Bill. Without knowing the specifics, he estimated I would probably use about 12 months of my 9/11 GI Bill doing this program and maxing out my TA each year, which is fine. I don't plan on using it for anything else, so if I ever have kids when I'm in, I can transfer the remainder to them or whatever.

Does that all sound legit or am I missing something? I know one person that went through Norwich, and she said it was a good school, but very hard. Speaking with the admissions office, they said I need to plan on about 20 hours a week of coursework. Looking at reviews online say the same thing.

The only other school I had checked out was National Graduate School in Falmouth which is completely geared towards abusing military TA. They were offering a Masters, where after TA, I would pay about $2k out of pocket and would be done in a year, only needing to give about 5-10 hours of time a week towards the school. Lots of people at work have used them, but admit it's just checking the box for a Masters, which I really don't want to do, since I did that by getting a Bachelors from University of Phoenix before the military.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I would keep your GI Bill for an actual bachelor's degree that's worth a poo poo.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

holocaust bloopers posted:

I would keep your GI Bill for an actual bachelor's degree that's worth a poo poo.

But if I can get a Master's degree from a decent place, I figured that would be better. Why waste another 2-3 years getting another Bachelors? Admittedly, the first one is poo poo, but I dunno if many schools I would be interested would care too much about my UoP degree, since I had a decent GPA from there and the school is guaranteed easy money from the GI Bill for my Masters.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

nwin posted:

But if I can get a Master's degree from a decent place, I figured that would be better. Why waste another 2-3 years getting another Bachelors? Admittedly, the first one is poo poo, but I dunno if many schools I would be interested would care too much about my UoP degree, since I had a decent GPA from there and the school is guaranteed easy money from the GI Bill for my Masters.

It's your GI Bill benefits, dude. I just don't think you're putting it together here. A grad program that'll gladly take you based on guaranteed money and a nearly worthless undergrad degree is not a program you ought to be pursuing.

Who knows. I could be way off base. Vasudus might have valuable input here.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

holocaust bloopers posted:

It's your GI Bill benefits, dude. I just don't think you're putting it together here. A grad program that'll gladly take you based on guaranteed money and a nearly worthless undergrad degree is not a program you ought to be pursuing.

Who knows. I could be way off base. Vasudus might have valuable input here.

Yeah, I hear you. That's why I was also asking if anyone knew of Norwich University Online.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

nwin posted:

Yeah, I hear you. That's why I was also asking if anyone knew of Norwich University Online.

Norwich is accredited by the ACBSP, which is less desirable than AACSB.

Penn State Online and Drexel Online are both accredited by the AACSB.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Different program, but I got my masters from Norwich. Knowledgable and professional staff, very challenging, and I learned a lot. They used angellearning software, which is one of the industry standard programs. You spend a week at the campus at the end; it includes graduation and a bunch of seminars. It's required but they're willing to work with you if you know you won't be able to attend...I knew a guy who went the year prior because he was going to be overseas.

all apologies
May 13, 2008

woah
When should I expect my first GI Bill housing payment (in relation to my school starting June 15th)?

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

all apologies posted:

When should I expect my first GI Bill housing payment (in relation to my school starting June 15th)?

End of June if the VA has processed your benefits for the semester. You get BAH payments at the end of the month for every month you're in class.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
If I wanted to use my Post 9/11 GI Bill while on active duty to take 2 classes this semester because I tapped out my TA for the Fiscal Year, how would that count against my GI Bill? Have 4 years in and am trying to knock out as many classes as possible before I get out next year.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It counts just like everybody else, except you don't get the BAH. Depending on how much classes cost, it might be worth paying out of pocket. At least look into financial aid before burning GI Bill months. You're looking at hundreds of dollars per month, at least, in BAH that you don't get while on active duty because you're already receiving BAH.

Edit: For two classes there's no way I'd burn GI Bill time.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Godholio posted:

It counts just like everybody else, except you don't get the BAH. Depending on how much classes cost, it might be worth paying out of pocket. At least look into financial aid before burning GI Bill months. You're looking at hundreds of dollars per month, at least, in BAH that you don't get while on active duty because you're already receiving BAH.

Edit: For two classes there's no way I'd burn GI Bill time.

So it would take me from 36 months of benefits when I get out to 34?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

suicide bi cop posted:

So it would take me from 36 months of benefits when I get out to 34?

They prorate to the day but yes, provided the classes only lasted 2 months.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
Background: I have full eligibility for the Post 9/11 GI bill and have used 25 months and 17 days while getting my bachelors degree. I will be starting medical school in August and still have 10 months and 13 days of remaining entitlement. Most of those benefit days will be used during my 1st year of medical school, but I calculated that I should be able to start my 2nd year with ~6 days of benefits remaining.

1. I am changing schools - what do I need to do to ensure the checks keep coming? Do I need to send a certificate of eligibility to my new school's financial aid office? Can they just certify my attendance using VA-ONCE, or are there other procedures they need to do because I am a new student at their school? I I suspect that they are unfamiliar with processing GI Bill benefits so I am trying to get some sense of the process on their end.

2. What is the payment outcome when I start a school year with 6 benefit days? Will my school get the 20k payment? Will my housing payments continue through the entire enrollment period? Will my book stipend be the full amount or prorated?

3. This is geared towards Vasudus and other experts: Any ideas on how I can lobby my medical school's financial aid office to join the Yellow Ribbon program? Every dollar the VA gives my school is a dollar that won't be in my final debt burden.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Yellow Ribbon was automatic in my experience. Some schools have limited slots for it. I didn't have to do anything other than enroll for YR to happen. Check with your college.

all apologies
May 13, 2008

woah
Anyone have any experience with the book stipend and when it hits? I start school June 15, i would like to buy these books soon(ish), hoping it hits soon..

all apologies
May 13, 2008

woah
Also for YR I had to mail a copy of my contract to the VA, then I was good to go.

Looks like I got the PELL grant, when should I expect that re reimbursement? I signed up with my schools "green card" and selected deposit in my bank account, wonder when thast would come my way

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

all apologies posted:

Anyone have any experience with the book stipend and when it hits? I start school June 15, i would like to buy these books soon(ish), hoping it hits soon..
My last two hit my account around 2 weeks prior to the start of class. If you're in a rush because you need to order your books online or something I'd suggest paying out of pocket for the time being.

all apologies posted:

Looks like I got the PELL grant, when should I expect that re reimbursement? I signed up with my schools "green card" and selected deposit in my bank account, wonder when thast would come my way

My pel grant return checks have always been mailed out by the end of the first week of class or so. Your school handles that so it depends entirely on when they process your poo poo and how fast they turn around and deposit the money into your account. Check with your school's vet benefits people if you need to know how fast the turnaround will be.

all apologies
May 13, 2008

woah
gracias

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Coworker of mine was suggesting that the 15 year counter on GI Bill Benefits started at the end of IRR. Can anyone confirm?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

From the VA's pamphlet:

quote:

How many months of assistance can I receive and how long am I eligible?
Generally, you may receive up to 36 months of entitlement under the Post-9/11 GI Bill. You will be eligible for benefits for 15 years from your last period of active duty of at least 90 consecutive days.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

nwin posted:

I'm not an officer, but I've known a few who have used the program you were talking about. You know, where the DoD puts you in a master's program on active duty. The ones I know whom have done it have all gone to top schools, including Yale and Harvard. I had an active SF officer in my Persian class this year. One of the dudes who mentored me when I got out went to Yale for IR. It's a great deal, especially if you have a family since it keeps you in one place for a few years. I say go for it.

EDIT: This reg is a little outdated, but it seems as though an MBA is on the list of approved programs http://www.uscg.mil/opm/Opm1/Opm1docs/PG/AY12Docs/AY12_PG-AdvEd_Process_Guide.pdf
Check page 23 "Civil Engineering – Masters of Business Administration"

Time Crisis Actor fucked around with this message at 07:37 on May 29, 2015

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
This is mostly for Vasudus but anyone can chime in: I hear a lot of chatter about how much graduate schools (especially professional programs, such as MBA/MPP) value veteran experience and leadership and whatever. Is that just fluff? Does being a vet really give you an edge over the typical high-achieving undergrads? Say you're a vet who did well in undergrad, but for whatever reason your GRE/GMAT wasn't so hot, and you didn't have a litany of high-powered internships to bolster your app. Were you anyone else, you'd probably be able to crack the 2nd tier MBA programs, maybe. Would vet status give you a better shot at the those top tier programs?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Deathy McDeath posted:

This is mostly for Vasudus but anyone can chime in: I hear a lot of chatter about how much graduate schools (especially professional programs, such as MBA/MPP) value veteran experience and leadership and whatever. Is that just fluff? Does being a vet really give you an edge over the typical high-achieving undergrads? Say you're a vet who did well in undergrad, but for whatever reason your GRE/GMAT wasn't so hot, and you didn't have a litany of high-powered internships to bolster your app. Were you anyone else, you'd probably be able to crack the 2nd tier MBA programs, maybe. Would vet status give you a better shot at the those top tier programs?

Yes and no. Graduate school is very much about the person as it is the qualifications. Being book smart doesn't tell the school who you are, or what potential you have. Remember that for graduate school, the school is investing in you. They aren't churning out thousands of degrees a year, they want a return on their investment. So having a good, but not amazing set of academic qualifications in addition to having a good personal qualification *may* get you in over someone with better academic qualifications but not always. So it's not a guaranteed thing, but it certainly helps. Especially if you can present yourself well.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Vasadus, you've said many times that we don't need to report BAH on various forms, but I am wondering about this one (I called my veteran office but no one answered):

This is to accept my financial awards, which are loving huge this coming semester and I really could use them to pay off some of the debt I'm going to have from the summer.

edit: To update, I got through to the office and they said that they didn't really know, but in general you don't have to report stuff. The guy I talked to said he had the same situation and left it blank. So I did as well. I hope I didn't do anything that's going to get me into trouble, because I'm being awarded $6,300 per semester.

blue squares fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 2, 2015

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

How do Pell Grants, etc. work if you only have partial Post 9/11? I get a state GI Bill which pays 100% the balance left after what my partial Post 9/11 pays. My EFC should be $0, so in theory I should be receiving Pell Grants and possibly other aid once I enroll in school again.

kill you are self
Jun 17, 2005

pa rum pum pum pum
Will the GI bill pay for me to take a class that I've already taken at a different university? I want to re-take a class that I already have transfer credit for but the VA didn't pay for it when I took it, so they wouldn't be paying for the same class twice.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Pretty sure no I know I had to submit any and all transcripts I had prior to make sure I wasn't scamming by taking the same class again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kill you are self
Jun 17, 2005

pa rum pum pum pum

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Pretty sure no I know I had to submit any and all transcripts I had prior to make sure I wasn't scamming by taking the same class again

It's from a different university, though. For example, one of my math classes transferred but the other didn't so I'm retaking the one that didn't transfer. I need it as a degree requirement so I'm taking it again. It's going to fill a degree requirement that isn't filled yet.

• Locked thread