Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

My new tires, which I can only assume were hand made to order at the Hankook factory, are finally shipping after 3 weeks.

What's the preferred way to remove Plasti-Dip? I need to either redo mine or get them coated before the winter and would like to know the easiest/best way to remove it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Super Aggro Crag posted:

My new tires, which I can only assume were hand made to order at the Hankook factory, are finally shipping after 3 weeks.

What's the preferred way to remove Plasti-Dip? I need to either redo mine or get them coated before the winter and would like to know the easiest/best way to remove it.

I always use a solvent to get it off (like paint thinner) on a rag and it comes right off

That's on my rims where there isn't any paint underneath to remove though :v:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Douse it with WD40, let it sit for ~10 minutes then use a pressure washer to blast it off. Worked great on the spoiler I picked up for the E21 and I'll be doing it shortly on the VW wheels. Don't have to worry about loving up the paint under the PlastiDip this way.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

It's just on my winter steelies so I am not exactly too concerned with the paint. I'll try one of those methods though, thanks.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
WD40 is the way to go on wheels. If it's body panels they sell a spray that softens it and makes it easy to remove.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

DICKPOCALYPSE NOW posted:

The thing about the Doofwagon Isn't the fact that it's the most metal war Horn ever.

It's the fact thaT on a dying planet so starved for resources that they will literally enslave or kill for something so precious as water, that there is one guy who's sole purpose in life is to shred a double neck bass that shoots fire from the back of an 8 wheel drive semi truck built out of amps and speakers.

Immortan Joe us a despot who has his priorities in order. :colbert:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

freelop posted:

Just adding myself to the massive list of people who WITNESSED Mad Max.
Again all the little details were awesome, one of my favourite bits was when the engine of the war rig was on fire and they put it out by dropping the front plough into the sand. Then they showed the air intakes opening up again to show how the engine didn't get choked up.
If they hadn't put in that last part I wouldn't have noticed but it made it more awesome that they did.

Also the creepy stilt walker people in the marsh

Another great detail: Furiosa was cleaning out the filters on the rig when Max found them. Just a nice little bit of reality in there.

KozmoNaut posted:

And functional electric windows :whatup:

Hah! I missed that!

Sigma X posted:

It is criminal that Mad Max is as good as it is, but it's still getting smeared in the box office by frickin' PITCH PERFECT 2.

But which one will people remember in ten years?

Tusen Takk posted:

Oh, and Rascal has tripled in size since we got him, going from 7lbs to 21lbs

Good lookin' pooch, there, sir. (He looks so serious!)

Tommychu posted:

You forgot about their tendency to never get properly tight, until you've got the through-bolt digging into the lead to the point where you can't get a wrench on it anymore. I've also seen a bunch of them split.

I wish the stamped steel marine terminals that came factory on most Japanese cars were readily available at parts stores, I've never had a problem with those.

They are. I got a set at O'Reilly's a few months ago for my Jeep, specifically to replace the clamp-on lead ones. I put copper lugs on the exiting cables, and everything is much more secure.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Oh, and gently caress Ford forever for using rivets rather then screws and bots to hold together EVERY god-damned motherfucking part of the doors in Panthers. And then using linkages that use an S-curve rather than just an elbow with those nice little clips like Japanese cars, so you have to remove everything to get the linkages loose, rather than, you know, just unlocking the clips and removing the linkages.
Context: my cop car came without linkages for the door locks and door handles on the rear doors, so a trip to the wrecking yard was necessitated. I forgot my drill bits, and spent far too much time chiseling those thrice-bedamned rivets out, then wrestling all the bits around inside the door to get the bloody damned linkages disconnected. And there's a bushing on the door lock linkage pivot that you tear the hell out of trying to chisel the rivet there off. Ended up, on the second attempt, cutting the sheet metal on the inner door panel. I hate doing that, since the doors were in good shape. I hate loving up good parts to get what I need if I can avoid it.

At least I can but it all back together with nuts and bolts. Should have functioning-from-the-inside rear doors by the end of the week. Depends on how many Round Tuits I have.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I started thinking about my rockauto issues and started to get pretty mad. I found this on their website:

Rockauto posted:

Q: What is your return policy?
A: Every part we sell may be returned within 30 days for a refund of the part price. Arrange your return on the Order Status & Returns page.

Rockauto email posted:

I apologize that the part failed on you again. That is very strange that this product would fail so soon, two times. Because this part failed within 30 days of purchasing the second product, I can cover the return shipping for the product. The only problem that we encounter now is the part is covered under a direct replacement warranty. So the manufacturer would only be able to offer a direct replacement product. I understand your frustration in getting another bad unit. If you would like, I can authorize a return to get you the part returned and a store credit for the product issued to you, however a monetary refund back to your card is not possible because it is covered under the manufacturer direct replacement warranty. If that works, please let me know. If that is not okay, you can return the product and we will send you a replacement unit that you could sell locally if you would like.

Me email posted:

Thanks, but I do not feel comfortable with that arrangement. I only want to be refunded the money I paid since I received two defective catalytic converters in a row, there's a good chance its going to happen again with the 3rd part. To install a catalytic converter is a very long process and with my bad back I do not want to go through that again. I do not wish to make a warranty claim, I want to return a product that you sold to me that is not working correctly.

From your website:
"Q: What is your return policy?
A: Every part we sell may be returned within 30 days for a refund of the part price. Arrange your return on the Order Status & Returns page."

Since the last catalytic converter I purchased was on April 29, I am will within the 30 days to get a refund. Please do not make me get my credit card company involved.

Rockauto email posted:

The manufacturer's warranty covers replacement of the part for the same part only. I see that Ben offered you store credit as an exception to that policy. Because this is an exception, we would need you to return this part for store credit. We would be unable to return this for a refund.

What the gently caress.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yup, chargeback time. They are violating their own terms because they are tired of shipping you poo poo. It doesn't matter how big they are, the CC will almost always find in your favor. I had to do a chargeback on a Virgin Mobile phone after similar bullshit and it took all of 3 days to get my money back.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Did you buy it on a credit card? can you do a chargeback? Contact your bank. Its pretty easy over here in the UK if you have evidence to prove your position - which you seem to have loads of!

edit - Rhyno pressed submit quicker than me!

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Actually, that might not work because they seemed to process my return in a shady manner.

I purchased order #1. This part went bad so they said buy it again and we'll refund you.

I purchased order #2. When I receive it I print up a rockauto return label and send back part #1. They then process the refund with the order number of #2 Part #2 goes bad and where Im at now.

Purchase #1 was made with $500 from a checking account and $160 on a credit card. Purchase #2 was paid for only with a credit card, but this is technically the order they refunded me for.

They should've refunded the $500 and $160 on my credit card from the first purchase since that was the part I was returning. This is going to be a mess I think.

Cage fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 18, 2015

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I thought rockauto wasn't a bunch of dickbags? Guess I was wrong.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

nm posted:

I thought rockauto wasn't a bunch of dickbags? Guess I was wrong.

Given time, all businesses will be run by dickbags.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Darchangel posted:

Good lookin' pooch, there, sir. (He looks so serious!)

He likes to pretend he is a wolf

:3:

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
I have offically, at the age of 30, gotten old. My kids found one of my old skateboards in the garage. They of course asked me if i could ride a skateboard. I then managed to forget that the reason i have three skateboards is not because i liked skating, its because i used to think skateboards was cool to look at. Fortunately i had my bike helmet nearby and in a moments clarity i decided to teach my kids that one should always don a lid when skating or riding a bike. I put my old "street ripper pro" on the street and stepped on. I stepped on it way to far back on the board, sending the skateboard into orbit, and my fat rear end on the ground. Split my helmet open, but my head feels fine. My left wrist is a bit swollen and my tailbone feels like it is split in half. I also had to glue a cut in my hand and rinse my elbow.

I explained to the kids that the skateboard had malfunctioned and that it did not hurt. I cant loving wait to have a meeting with a developer who is considering hiring us on for the fire prevention stuff, i walk like a whore during fleet week.

Oh, and i have coaxed a friend to watch mad max with me this week.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

drat all of you for talking up Mad Max and making me want to watch it. I despise going to the theater because holy poo poo gently caress people so much but I guess me and the roomie are gonna try and go watch it Wednesday or Thursday if our theater holds it over for another week.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Waiting for the NBNco tech to turn up "Between 8 am and 12" to get my internet hooked up. Gonna be nice getting off the 3G internet that varies its speeds from anywhere from 200k/s to 1.5MB/s depending on how many people in town are using it.

Im betting its going to be closer to 12 than 8, which sucks cos im stuck home and cant go down the hardware shop to get some plumbing bits to finish off my drains. which is an entirely SEPERATE issue after the 25mm of rain we got last night.... I live in a god drat swamp :(

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

fjelltorsk posted:

I have offically, at the age of 30, gotten old. My kids found one of my old skateboards in the garage. They of course asked me if i could ride a skateboard. I then managed to forget that the reason i have three skateboards is not because i liked skating, its because i used to think skateboards was cool to look at. Fortunately i had my bike helmet nearby and in a moments clarity i decided to teach my kids that one should always don a lid when skating or riding a bike. I put my old "street ripper pro" on the street and stepped on. I stepped on it way to far back on the board, sending the skateboard into orbit, and my fat rear end on the ground. Split my helmet open, but my head feels fine. My left wrist is a bit swollen and my tailbone feels like it is split in half. I also had to glue a cut in my hand and rinse my elbow.

I explained to the kids that the skateboard had malfunctioned and that it did not hurt. I cant loving wait to have a meeting with a developer who is considering hiring us on for the fire prevention stuff, i walk like a whore during fleet week.

Oh, and i have coaxed a friend to watch mad max with me this week.

:mediocre:

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004
Mad-Max has lived up to it's AI hype.

What an amazing experience.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Going to go see it for a second time in about 30 minutes. I'm just as stoked as when I went on Thursday.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

The a/c in my apartment broke just in time for a few days straight of ~90 degree weather. The great thing is that it's an apartment so I don't have to pay anything... but still get to wait at the mercy of the HVAC company (who I'm sure is getting swarmed right now).

I have to deal with people around here complaining when it goes below freezing (I'm from CT living in Virginia), they can listen when I complain that it's too hot.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

nm posted:

I've heard bad things about the auto in the MP5. Hearsay can be wrong though.

Did a bunch of reading, looks like the autos are made out of glass.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Back to job chat - got a call back from the place I had two interviews with last month (third party IT support for K-12 schools)...unfortunately they filled the position they were interviewing for with an internal candidate but they have an hourly position that the VP who interviewed me last time feels I'd be an excellent fit for.

Given how they were dropping hints that there would be a lot of hours I think I'd rather have the opportunity for overtime, also it sounds like this would have much less travel. I'm phone interviewing with the team lead tomorrow. Not the news I was hoping for but better than the usual "position has been filled, have a nice life" response.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Rhyno posted:

Did a bunch of reading, looks like the autos are made out of glass.

Don't worry, the manuals only strip out their diffs. At near stock (stock on the MSP) power levels.

E: Actually that's a lie, the teeth don't strip. The flange on the diff case that the ring gear attaches to just cracks off. Might only be the torsen-type LSD on the MSP, idk if the MP5 has that.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Some monsters (roommates) ate all my hot dogs. I had like 8 of them left those fuckers! :argh:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Enourmo posted:

Don't worry, the manuals only strip out their diffs. At near stock (stock on the MSP) power levels.

E: Actually that's a lie, the teeth don't strip. The flange on the diff case that the ring gear attaches to just cracks off. Might only be the torsen-type LSD on the MSP, idk if the MP5 has that.

I'm trying to convince her on some driving lessons from someone other than me, maybe then we can get a backup with a 5speed. She isn't too receptive of the idea.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Some monsters (roommates) ate all my hot dogs. I had like 8 of them left those fuckers! :argh:

Just buy $1100 worth of replacement hot dogs and then live the dream you know you want to live: http://imgur.com/gallery/QgJUL

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

No joke, my uncle-in-law bought 1700 hot dogs for a church cookout and only used 200. If you need a pre-owned hotdog in the middle-TN area, he's the man to see.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Safety Dance posted:

No joke, my uncle-in-law bought 1700 hot dogs for a church cookout and only used 200. If you need a pre-owned hotdog in the middle-TN area, he's the man to see.

I refuse to pay more than current market value and I want to select them myself.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Rhyno posted:

I refuse to pay more than current market value and I want to select them myself.

drat, you're very selective about your weiners I see.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
If you meet an rear end in a top hat in the morning, you meet an rear end in a top hat. If you meet an rear end in a top hat all day long, you're the rear end in a top hat.

It has now occurred to me that after 42 years on this earth, I'm the rear end in a top hat.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

kastein posted:

drat, you're very selective about your weiners I see.

In this day and age one has to be.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Rhyno posted:

In this day and age one has to be.

No test drives unless cash in hand

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I grilled out like 8 burgers last week and offered my roomates a couple. The two of them ate all 7 of them in 12 hours.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Tide posted:

If you meet an rear end in a top hat in the morning, you meet an rear end in a top hat. If you meet an rear end in a top hat all day long, you're the rear end in a top hat.

It has now occurred to me that after 42 years on this earth, I'm the rear end in a top hat.

No, theres just alot of assholes out there.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tide posted:

Okay Raylan.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

WITNESS THIS, BROTHERS

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
So, thanks to wearing boots 24/7 for years on end, I have an issue with ingrown nails. I am also a master at ignoring them. I cut my nails regularly but if I can't get the ingrown part out, I just try to ignore it.

Finally one got to where I couldn't stand it, so my wife agreed to cut it out. Eventually she goes "so, how long has this been hurting?" "Uhhh, like two weeks...maybe three. Why?" "Oh, no reason. It's just super infected and oozing puss you dumb gently caress."

Stupid ingrown nails :( I never had them until the past two years, and it seems now like there's no way to get rid of them.

/oldgbs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
Soak the affected foot in warm water with plenty of epsom salt nightly. That'll help with the swelling and pain and assuming it's not toe is falling off bad will help your body heal the infection.

It's an in office procedure to get it fixed and it's pretty unpleasant. Or go at yourself with needle nose pliers :)

And are you maybe cutting your nails TOO aggressively? You shouldn't be on the sides, that's part of what can cause them (OR SO SAYS THE ARNP THAT BUTCHERED ME, THE MONSTER)

Mat_Drinks fucked around with this message at 06:37 on May 19, 2015

• Locked thread