Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The forwards can kick at the ball as soon a the hooker starts doing it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

bowmore posted:

The forwards can kick at the ball as soon a the hooker starts doing it

Which is why having the prop lash out at the ball before the hookers did in this case should have resulted in it being brought back. I'm glad we're in agreement :shrug:? I've watched the replay a few times now to check if anyone was moving early and the prop's leg is the first one moving by a large margin- I'm not sure how anyone could be arguing the opposite without literally ignoring reality.

Best screengrab I could get on short notice - note that he's already mid-kick and nobody else has moved at all. Do you really want to keep going?

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Leuluai out for the season probably with ACL just to add to the cheerful sense of optimism prevalent amongst the warriors supports ITT

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

cpaf posted:

Leuluai out for the season probably with ACL just to add to the cheerful sense of optimism prevalent amongst the warriors supports ITT

Yeah, handy backup in Nathan Friend at least but not sure he can go 80 these days so it stuffs us up a bit.

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen

quote:

Fullback Michael Gordon has reportedly walked out on Cronulla after the NRL club refused to release him to join Parramatta. According to News Corp, Gordon failed to show at Cronulla training after taking advice from the NRL Rugby League Players Association.

He was seeing a psychologist today, under instructions from the RLPA, to determine the impact on his mental health.

Must really want to go to the Eels.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
Really? He has a contract, as long as the Sharks are still paying his salary he needs to show up. Tough poo poo if they don't want to give him an extension.

Meanwhile, who else is ready for the long awaited return of Mitchell Pearce to Origin?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jono C posted:

Really? He has a contract, as long as the Sharks are still paying his salary he needs to show up. Tough poo poo if they don't want to give him an extension.

Meanwhile, who else is ready for the long awaited return of Mitchell Pearce to Origin?
He can get fired and then the Eels will sign him, sounds like what he wanted.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

State of Origin teams for game 1 next Wednesday have been named

Queensland
1. Billy Slater (Melbourne Storm)
2. Darius Boyd (Brisbane Broncos)
3. Greg Inglis (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
4. Justin Hodges (Brisbane Broncos)
5. Will Chambers (Melbourne Storm)
6. Johnathan Thurston (North Queensland Cowboys)
7. Cooper Cronk (Melbourne Storm)
8. Matt Scott (North Queensland Cowboys)
9. Cameron Smith (Captain, Melbourne Storm)
10. Nate Myles (Gold Coast Titans)
11. Aiden Guerra (Sydney Roosters)
12. Sam Thaiday (Brisbane Broncos)
13. Corey Parker (Brisbane Broncos)

Interchange
14. Daly Cherry-Evans (Manly Sea Eagles)
15. Josh McGuire (Brisbane Broncos)
16. Matt Gillett (Brisbane Broncos)
17. Jacob Lillyman (New Zealand Warriors)

18. Dylan Napa (Sydney Roosters)

New South Wales
1. Josh Dugan (St George Illawarra Dragons)
2. Daniel Tupou (Sydney Roosters)
3. Josh Morris (Canterbury Bulldogs)
4. Michael Jennings (Sydney Roosters)
5. William Hopoate (Parramatta Eels)
6. Mitchell Pearce (Sydney Roosters)
7. Trent Hodkinson (Canterbury Bulldogs)
8. Aaron Woods (Wests Tigers)
9. Robbie Farah (Captain, Wests Tigers)
10. James Tamou (North Queensland Cowboys)
11. Beau Scott (Newcastle Knights)
12. Ryan Hoffman (NZ Warriors)
13. Josh Jackson (Canterbury Bulldogs)

Interchange
14. Trent Merrin (St George Illawarra Dragons)
15. Boyd Cordner (Sydney Roosters)
16. David Klemmer (Canterbury Bulldogs)
17. Andrew Fifita (Cronulla Sharks)

ili
Jul 26, 2003

All he needs to do is get up on the roof with a six pack of pineapple cruisers. That or sexually assault someone, piss in his own mouth, bite a woman on the leg, gently caress a dog, drink drive repeatedly or beat someone unconscious. Probably best to start with the cruisers though.

E: he being Michael Gordon that is, I'm told the above type of things no longer happen in origin camp.

ili fucked around with this message at 07:17 on May 19, 2015

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Pretty happy that the Broncs are going to be missing 5 players in the Knights game on Monday night

ili
Jul 26, 2003

bowmore posted:

Pretty happy that the Broncs are going to be missing 5 players in the Knights game on Monday night

Possibly Ben Hunt too if we're super unlucky. Still a decent chance of winning though.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

Red_Museum posted:

Must really want to go to the Eels.

We are probably offering him way more than any other sane club would, and we've already said if we don't get him now the whole deal is off.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ili posted:

Possibly Ben Hunt too if we're super unlucky. Still a decent chance of winning though.
I'd be stoked if Ben Hunt missed out, he's a really good player

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

As always, that's a scary looking Maroons backline.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Jono C posted:

I sure am

Before the team was announced I felt like the Maroons weren't clear favourites anymore and we'd probably be looking at a really close and exciting series. Now I have a few doubts, Pearce is known dogshit in blue, NSW won last year despite Hodkinson rather than because of him, Hopoate hasn't been that impressive this year and I think the omission of Luke Lewis is a very serious mistake especially considering his form, and NSW will probably miss his utility very badly at some point in the first game. As a Maroons supporter I'm glad they picked Dugan over Moylan.

I do agree, however, with the decision to fill the forwards with meat and assassins like Beau Scott and a dominant forward pack was one of the big things the kiwis had over us in the test. Cronk/Thurston can't operate effectively and consistently under those conditions.

Without Jeynolds, Gallen and Bird the title of king NSW grub falls to who? Beau Scott? Andrew Fifita? The lack of grub power might really hurt NSW this year

OTOH the Maroons team is what I would have picked, maybe Hunt or Segeyaro instead of DCE and Papalii or McQueen instead of Gillett

e; forgot about Morgan, I'd have him over both Hunt, DCE and Segeyaro.

Thinking fucked around with this message at 07:41 on May 19, 2015

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

iajanus posted:

As always, that's a scary looking Maroons backline.
The whole team is bloody scary, it's a majority of the Australian team and the Blues don't have the luxury of choosing players from NZ

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

To be fair, the Australian team just got reamed by the Kiwis so maybe the second string players will have a chance.

Right?

Right?

:smithicide:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

iajanus posted:

To be fair, the Australian team just got reamed by the Kiwis so maybe the second string players will have a chance.

Right?

Right?

:smithicide:
:regd09:

ili
Jul 26, 2003

gently caress me sideways, never thought I'd see "Beau Scott" and "lack of grub power" in the same paragraph.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ili posted:

gently caress me sideways, never thought I'd see "Beau Scott" and "lack of grub power" in the same paragraph.
he's not a grub he's just tough

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

ili posted:

The dude has nothing on Jeynolds, Gallen, Bird or Ennis though. He's second rate grub. Grub-lite

ili
Jul 26, 2003

bowmore posted:

he's not a grub he's just tough

You say that now when he's in your team, but wait until he runs out for Parra next year. One late high spearwrestle tackle on Mullen and he'll be grub of the century.

He is nothing on Jeynolds or Bird though, that's for sure. Probably because he can cop it as well as dish it out instead of flailing about on the ground.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ili posted:

You say that now when he's in your team, but wait until he runs out for Parra next year. One late high spearwrestle tackle on Mullen and he'll be grub of the century.

He is nothing on Jeynolds or Bird though, that's for sure. Probably because he can cop it as well as dish it out instead of flailing about on the ground.
I won't do a Cowboys and have a whinge for two weeks straight

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

cpaf posted:

Without Jeynolds, Gallen and Bird the title of king NSW grub falls to who? Beau Scott? Andrew Fifita? The lack of grub power might really hurt NSW this year

OTOH the Maroons team is what I would have picked, maybe Hunt or Segeyaro instead of DCE and Papalii or McQueen instead of Gillett

e; forgot about Morgan, I'd have him over both Hunt, DCE and Segeyaro.

Queensland have never fallen for the grub tactics, there isn't much point going in that direction. Monstering them in the forwards is the way to go.

Morgan and Hunt definitely deserve to be in ahead of DCE. Papalii turned into an ineffective fat sack of poo poo surprisingly quickly. I'm not a fan of Thaiday, I'd have Gillett starting in his spot and McQueen taking the bench spot.

bowmore posted:

The whole team is bloody scary, it's a majority of the Australian team and the Blues don't have the luxury of choosing players from NZ

Which part of NSW is James Tamou from again?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jono C posted:

Which part of NSW is James Tamou from again?
Palmerston North, it's on the coast near Merimbula

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
there is just a big lake in between them

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

bowmore posted:

Palmerston North, it's on the coast near Merimbula

So that's where his tattoos are from. About time that question was answered.

Meanwhile, DCE out, Morgan in:
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...519-gh56eh.html

SMH posted:

Maroons utility Daly Cherry-Evans has been ruled out of the Queensland squad after failing to recover from a shoulder injury.

Cherry-Evans was named in the 17 on Tuesday afternoon and flew to Brisbane to be assessed by Maroons doctor Roy Saunders.

He made it only as far as the first training session before being given the bad news, with Cowboys five-eighth Michael Morgan to be flown into camp as his replacement.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

cpaf posted:

The dude has nothing on Jeynolds, Gallen, Bird or Ennis though. He's second rate grub. Grub-lite

Those other guys just can't help themselves, it's like their elbows are magnetically attracted to opponent's faces. With Scott, it's calculated and deliberate which is what makes him the grubbiest oval office in the game.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Jono C posted:

Queensland have never fallen for the grub tactics,

Pretty good at using them, though... (Thurston, Slater, Hodges, Smith etc...)

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I love that Queenslanders call us grubby when they have Hodges

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Smorgasbord posted:

Those other guys just can't help themselves, it's like their elbows are magnetically attracted to opponent's faces. With Scott, it's calculated and deliberate which is what makes him the grubbiest oval office in the game.

There is a compelling argument for Calculated Grub, though in an arena such as State of Origin you have to make allowances for the dominance of Other Grub such as Emotional Grub and Career Grub or the Cameron Smith Special, Classy Grub. If you take an objective look at the Thaiday Hierarchy of Grub, you'll find Jeynolds at the top, just pure, unadulterated, grub-from-the-heart. You can't inspire that kind of grub in a footballer, nor can you construct it through artificial means. Its the kind of grub that Craig Bellamy could never craft even in the most willing conduit. You need to be born with the Jeynolds kind of grub. Beau Scott doesn't compare.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

cpaf posted:

There is a compelling argument for Calculated Grub, though in an arena such as State of Origin you have to make allowances for the dominance of Other Grub such as Emotional Grub and Career Grub or the Cameron Smith Special, Classy Grub. If you take an objective look at the Thaiday Hierarchy of Grub, you'll find Jeynolds at the top, just pure, unadulterated, grub-from-the-heart. You can't inspire that kind of grub in a footballer, nor can you construct it through artificial means. Its the kind of grub that Craig Bellamy could never craft even in the most willing conduit. You need to be born with the Jeynolds kind of grub. Beau Scott doesn't compare.

I wonder if the same grub gene is behind Reynolds trying to trip everyone in sight and Slater trying to kick anyone scoring a try in the face?

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

bowmore posted:

I love that Queenslanders call us grubby when they have Hodges

Nobody likes Hodges, but come on now that's a ridiculous false equivalency. Hodges is the 'run into an established melee and shove a guy while acting tough' kind of oval office.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

We're listing Queensland's grubs and none of you have mentioned Myles?

Smorgasbord posted:

Nobody likes Hodges, but come on now that's a ridiculous false equivalency. Hodges is the 'run into an established melee and shove a guy while acting tough' kind of oval office.

Sounds a bit like the the Ben Creagh fairy manoeuvre
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ole1A50waKk&t=25s

E: The angle just after the one minute mark might be even better.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Jono C posted:

We're listing Queensland's grubs and none of you have mentioned Myles?

Sounds a bit like the the Ben Creagh fairy manoeuvre
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ole1A50waKk&t=25s

E: The angle just after the one minute mark might be even better.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

The Eels are getting fined $525k for breaching the salary cap last year. Firstly, where the gently caress was that money actually going? They weren't exactly a Roosters/Rabbits collection of stars. Secondly, will they ever get their poo poo together off the field?

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Jono C posted:

The Eels are getting fined $525k for breaching the salary cap last year. Firstly, where the gently caress was that money actually going? They weren't exactly a Roosters/Rabbits collection of stars. Secondly, will they ever get their poo poo together off the field?

Remember how they had all those hilarious backloaded contracts that ended up paying like 10 poo poo players eye watering money all at once?

edit: even this year I believe their 2 highest paid players are Sandow & Ryan loving Morgan. Sandow has been dumped to reserve grade and Morgan never should've progressed OUT of reserve grade.

Smorgasbord fucked around with this message at 07:20 on May 21, 2015

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Smorgasbord posted:

Remember how they had all those hilarious backloaded contracts that ended up paying like 10 poo poo players eye watering money all at once?

The Eels are still haunted by the ghost of Ricky Stuart

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

cpaf posted:

The Eels are still haunted by the ghost of Ricky Stuart

Yeah, we're still paying part of the contracts for the dozen or so players that Stuart fired halfway through last season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

edit: even this year I believe their 2 highest paid players are Sandow & Ryan loving Morgan. Sandow has been dumped to reserve grade and Morgan never should've progressed OUT of reserve grade.

Sandow's $500k was signed prior to the current TV deal, so against last year's cap probably wasn't completely awful. I can't remember who Ryan Morgan is though.

Saul Goode posted:

Yeah, we're still paying part of the contracts for the dozen or so players that Stuart fired halfway through last season.

That just reminded me of the infamous Yes/No/Maybe meeting while Hayne was away in Origin camp and it warmed the cockles of my heart.

• Locked thread