Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Zark the Damned posted:

GorkaMorka had a similar 'rolling board' scenario. IIRC it was pretty simple, at the end of each turn everything on the board was moved 6" towards the edge, anything which left the board was out. Terrain removed could respawn in front of you.

Of course, GorkaMorka had rules for turning vehicles similar to 2nd ed so you had to be careful with facing etc. - if you tried to turn while going too fast there was a chance you'd spin out!

Hmm yeah there is turning at speed as well. How did GorkaMorka handle letting the chasing vehicles catch the vehicles in front? Wheeled & tracked vehicles can all move at the same speed unless they're going around/over terrain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Didnt they have different speeds in Gorka Morka? Dependent on upgrades and damage etc?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Will have to try find the books and check, but iirc GorkaMorka had a 'turbo boost' mechanic which adds like 2D6 to your move, and there were speed bands you had to choose between. In general you caught up when the lead guys had to slow down to wind around scenery.

EDIT: You could also get the meks to kustomize your vehicles, possibly speeding them up too.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Zark the Damned posted:

Will have to try find the books and check, but iirc GorkaMorka had a 'turbo boost' mechanic which adds like 2D6 to your move, and there were speed bands you had to choose between. In general you caught up when the lead guys had to slow down to wind around scenery.

EDIT: You could also get the meks to kustomize your vehicles, possibly speeding them up too.

oh god "trusters", you moved 6inchs basically but could add an extra 6 if you passed a truster test. Role well enough and you could do this indefinitely! ! role badly and you spin and crash.

Mec jobs allowed you to make your truk or trak go super fast (usually at a cost to turning etc). You could make some silly cuztum vehicle's, which really made it fun to model and customise.

God I misa this game soooo much.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
GorkaMorka is the tits. It's my first gaming love and I'm gradually getting my group in London interested in playing it.

The boost mechanic is that after using a vehicles 'gas' engines (eg. normal movement) you can use the thrusters. It's a D6 test to keep control of the vehicle, starting at 2+ and getting harder for each successive use of the thrusters but it never gets harder than 4+. If you fail there's a table that results in either a spin, a swerve or just lurching to a stop. You can keep on going until you fail.

Foul Ole Ron posted:

oh god "trusters", you moved 6inchs basically but could add an extra 6 if you passed a truster test. Role well enough and you could do this indefinitely! ! role badly and you spin and crash.

Mec jobs allowed you to make your truk or trak go super fast (usually at a cost to turning etc). You could make some silly cuztum vehicle's, which really made it fun to model and customise.

God I misa this game soooo much.

Where do you live mate? For some reason I'm thinking you're down my way. You should get involved. I need some more keen fellas to get GoMo up and running.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Mad Max style scenario a friend and I are gonna play for our campaign soon:

Ork player has to take all mounted units. Vehicles can "tow" artillery but can only move 6" max with artillery attached.

Deploy "long ways" - so short table edge.

3-5 Trukks (Ork player chooses!) are "Scrap Trukks" containing vital gubbinz to build things up nice and strong.
- 2 VP to the Orks if they survive the game (lol)
- 3 VP objective markers if they're destroyed - kill them, and hold them.
- 4 VP to the Orks if they make it off the far table edge.

One Trukk, optionally, has "Max"/whoever you want (we're having it be Pask) inside. Only the Ork player knows which one! He's worth 3VP and is basically the Relic when the Trukk is destroyed.

Add other objectives to flavour.

---
Opponent can ONLY have mounted/deep striking/flying units. So I'm running 3 drop pods, 2 Stormtalons and Rhinos. Slam pods down to make a wall, and then work on killing things.

Cue the madness. You have to throw your units on, blocking the Trukks and destroying them while dealing with bikers, other angry trukks, Dakkajets, etc. Once a Trukk is killed you have to then manage to hold the drat thing!

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Lord Twisted posted:

Mad Max style scenario a friend and I are gonna play

One of the Ork vehicles should also be upgraded to "Doofwagon" which grants Fearless to all Orks within 6" and additionally counts as a being equipped with a Dirgecaster.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Fury Road definitely made me want to get my ork vehicle projects back out of storage and get working on them again. Of course, technically Ork poo poo is Mad Max as gently caress, rather than Mad Max being orky as gently caress!

I reall y want to model something like that spikey truck with the backhoe mounted as a turret. Or maybe the doofwagon. Or or or or... God that movie was so drat good.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
All this talk made me dig up our old Marneus Cart 64 rules:

Marneus Cart 64
Army Selection & Force Organization Charts
Each player picks an "army" valued at 250pts. The selection of models is not limited by force organization, minimum model counts, or compulsory unit selections. Each player must field at least one vehicle, jetbike, cavalry, or bike unit of any variety.

Table Set-Up & Deployment
Marneus Cart 64 is played on a 48"x48" table. Each player deploys up to 12" from any table edge or, should one player opt to, within 6" of the center of the table. Players must deploy at least 12" away from each other. Players can elect to place models in Reserve, but all Reserve rolls automatically pass on the beginning of their second turn. Models arriving from Reserve arrive via Deep Strike and any mishap counts as unit destroyed instead of determined by the mishap table. Models may use Scout and Outflank deployment. A player with an outflanking model rolls a die; a roll of 1 is the “southern” edge, 2 is the “eastern” edge, 3 is the “western” edge, 4 is the “northern” edge, and on a 5 or 6 they may select the table edge.

First Turn
If a player has deployed in the center of the table they may elect to go first. Otherwise, the first turn is taken by the player who rolled the lowest for deployment, the second is taken by second last, eventually ending with the last turn being taken by the first player to deploy.

Game Length & Victory Conditions
The battle continues until one model remains on the table and is declared the victor.

Special Rules
Deathrace 40,000
All models operate as individual units in this game. No model may join with any other to form a squadron. Models may be within 1" of each other without any effect and grant cover saves as normal. Multiple units in combat are affected by combat resolution as normal, meaning five individual models losing by one would all take Morale checks to break or take additional wounds depending on their rules. All players involved in combat can be affected by this, though the losses and modifiers may vary. Jetbikes and Space Marine bikes locked in close combat may continue to move during their players movement phase and will simply drag the other model(s) with them, though they may only make a 6” move or a 2d6” move (players choice) as this reflects the other combatants distracting them with lethal swings. Models dragged in such a way are moved by their player but must stay in close combat contact.

Take The Shot
All shooting attacks from a model must be directed at a single model unless they have special rules that allow otherwise. Models outside of close combat may elect to fire into close combat and, once normal BS checks are rolled to hit, successfully strike their target on a 3+. On the roll of 1 or 2, they have not hit their intended target. All players participating in the close combat roll one die, the highest roll may elect which model is hit.

Roadkill
Infantry models may be selected to start the battle embarked in a vehicle of the players choice and may shoot out of any firing points or use any powers as normal. Any model embarked in a vehicle may never disembark for any reason and if they are forced to due to the loss of their vehicle they are immediately destroyed, no saves allowed.

Power Ups
After rolls for deployment are made but before it occurs each player places one Power Up marker anywhere on the table 12” away from any other marker and at least 6” from the table edge, starting with the player who rolled highest for deployment. After the position for the marker is selected the marker scatters 2d6, a hit indicating it stays where the player selected. If any marker deviates off the table, place that marker at the very edge of the table at the point it left. If any model moves over a marker during a movement phase their controlling player rolls 2d6 on the Power Up table and that model receives the benefit listed. Each model can only have one power at any time and if a model with an unused power moves over top a Power Up marker no roll is made. Each power may only be used once and the model using it loses the benefit immediately after its effect is resolved. Models that use a Power Up at the beginning of their Movement phase and move over a Power Up marker receive a new power.

After a Power Up has been used the player who used it places it in their Reserve and it is deployed via Deep Strike at the beginning of their next turn on a 4+ anywhere that is at least 12” away from their own models, scattering 4d6 instead of 2d6. If the marker scatters off the table edge place the marker at the edge it left. Any marker that scatters on top of a model counts as being touched by the model at the beginning of their movement phase and is placed into that players Reserve as if they themselves that moved onto it.

quote:

Power Up Table
2 BAD END: Immediately place a large blast template overtop the model that activated this Power Up. Any model beneath this marker is struck with a S8 AP3 hit. Vehicles are struck by BAD END on their side armor.

3-5 Grimdark Caltrops: This power may be used during the Shooting phase. Place a 6” line in any shape starting anywhere within 12” of the model which uses this power. This line counts as Dangerous Terrain and any model which crosses it is struck with a S6 AP- hit. Vehicles are struck in the front armor.

6-7 Turbo-kombustible Squigg: This power is used at the beginning of the Movement phase before the model moves. This power turbocharges the engines of any vehicle, allowing any vehicle to make a Turboboost movement and count as a Tank for the purposes of ramming. Non-vehicle units such as bikes may assault the same turn they Turboboost and benefit from the Furious Charge universal special rule during their assault phase.

8-9 Green Krak Missile: This power is a shooting attack that can be made in addition to any other shooting attack, even if the vehicle or model has moved in such a way that shooting is normally not allowed. Green Krak Missile is treated as a 36” S8 AP3 Assault 1 attack using the vehicles ballistic skill.

10 Red Krak Missile: This power is a shooting attack that can be made in addition to any other shooting attack, even if the vehicle or model has moved in such a way that shooting is normally not allowed. Red Krak Missile is treated as a 36” S8 AP3 Assault 1 Twin-Linked attack using a ballistic skill of 4. If this attack misses, the player who owns the intended target may elect any other model within 6” of their model and roll a die. On a 5 or 6 that model is struck with the Red Krak Missile instead and is struck on the side facing the intended target.

11 Blue Melta Missile: This power is a shooting attack that can be made in addition to any other shooting attack, even if the vehicle or model has moved in such a way that shooting is normally not allowed. When used, instead of treating this like a normal shooting attack all players competing at the table must elect one model that is not owned by the player using this power on the table to be struck by the Blue Melta Missile. Any ties for the target will be resolved in favor of the player using the power. The target of this power is hit by either a S10 AP1 hit or a meltabomb, chosen by the player using the power. Vehicles are struck by the Blue Melta Missile in the front armor.

12 Stargod Power: This power is used at the beginning of the Movement phase before the model moves. Until the beginning of the controlling players next turn any attacks or effects that target the model that uses this power are ignored. If the model affected by Stargod Power is a vehicle it is treated as a Tank if it is not already for the purposes of ramming and receives a +2 bonus to ram. Additionally any vehicle that rams while affected by Stargod Power takes no damage itself from ramming. If the model is a bike or jetbike it receives +2S and hits any model on a 3+, unless it would hit automatically.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
You are a goddam genius.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Orks. Always more Orks.

Down here we hold that orks sound more like truck riding hillbillies. We got a guy whos army name is Da Soggy Bottom Boys. loving rad if you ask me.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Gorkamorka fell apart locally due to the lack of standardization for bases and trukks and so on years ago, but drat if it wasn't one of the most fun minis campaigns I've played, possibly the most fun campaign-style tabletop thing I've ever done.

Just make up some guidelines for acceptability (orks get 25mm bases and don't go Full Stupid) and get a campaign going again. Perhaps Rorky, Porky and Forky shall ride their badly mangled cyborkified monowheels forth once more.

I was like twelve okay

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

It's ripe for a revival, thanks to Fury Road (GO SEE FURY ROAD)!

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
gorkamorka was bad

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
bad rear end that is!

Favourite GW product from my yoof

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Woof, made my heart skip a beat there

I've been reading through my buddy's old WDs and such and every single page for Gorkamorka looks so goddamn fun. Even the box art just makes me wanna play it and have fun. Also got to page through the RT rulebook, and along with all the hilarious art there were just straight up rules for dinosaurs. Hell, the selection of random aliens and beasties was more comprehensive than anything concerning Eldar, Orks, Marines, or Imperial Army dudes, who were the only factions I could find in there. Genestealers were described as having leech-like bodies, and their fluff was even more of a rip off of Aliens than before. Also this is what their art looked like:

I need to find the time to go through that whole book because there's so much poo poo to unpack in it.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

All right, there are it IA:8 rules. Note that this was supposed to be a 500 v. 500 fast vehicles only game, and they might bog down with TOO many points.

Also note there are rules for jumping poo poo and ramming other poo poo, so it's objectively the best ruleset.

raverrn fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 18, 2015

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

PierreTheMime posted:

One of the Ork vehicles should also be upgraded to "Doofwagon" which grants Fearless to all Orks within 6" and additionally counts as a being equipped with a Dirgecaster.

I am planning on making a Doofwagon with a Goff rocker on the hood.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I've been wanting to make a Goff Rokk band with bandwagon for a while, Doofwagon just may be the inspiration I need to get the project going.

Tough I may go superheavy with it using FW's kustom battlefortress. IIRC one of the Citadel Journals had a giant Goff Rokk stage on tracks for Epic :rock:

KuangMkV
Jan 25, 2003

Hi friends, I am considering making the extremely poor life choice of collecting a Forge World Horus Heresy Alpha Legion army. I was wondering if anyone could point give me a little info on a good way to get started besides putting a gun in my mouth. I should note that both myself and the people I may be playing with do not give a single poo poo about competitive builds or optimization and are just interested in building fun and vaguely setting-accurate armies. Thank you for your support in this difficult time.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Personally I would go for the gun in mouth option

KuangMkV
Jan 25, 2003

Moola posted:

Personally I would go for the gun in mouth option

It's on the table, for sure!

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
You chose the coolest legion though

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

KuangMkV posted:

Hi friends, I am considering making the extremely poor life choice of collecting a Forge World Horus Heresy Alpha Legion army. I was wondering if anyone could point give me a little info on a good way to get started besides putting a gun in my mouth. I should note that both myself and the people I may be playing with do not give a single poo poo about competitive builds or optimization and are just interested in building fun and vaguely setting-accurate armies. Thank you for your support in this difficult time.

The thing in the OP is still accurate- the best place to start is with the little red books which will set you back less money than a codex from GW prime. That'll give you most of the rules for the legions and some admech stuff. For all the cool scenarios you'll need the big books. You have a group of people going in on this so you could split the cost among everybody.

Beyond that, the thrifty way to get into 30k is ebay or supporting communism. If you insist on paying retail, then you can get upgrade kits and kit bash regular 40k marines for your troops. It'll be difficult with the vehicles though. To get started you'll need an HQ, a few sergeants, about 40 bolter marines, an apothacary or two, and rides if you want them. From there it'll depend a lot on your army. Alpha legion have cool rules and fun combos so consider grabbing the rulebook first or borrowing it from somebody to plan out how you want to use it.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

KuangMkV posted:

I take a lot of pointers from Bulbasaur, but me and my friends are poor honest folk who want to give money to FW instead of recasters but still play a lot of non-GW games and can't throw hundreds and hundreds of dollars a year at it. I'm following this rough guideline, which lets me add on in very small amounts and also happens to roughly follow the story arc of my central character through the beginnings of the Heresy:

0) The two red books. The big HH volumes are gorgeous but I'm just picking them up one at a time.

1) Pit Fighters (150 points) A couple of characters to gladiator it up in the battle-barge fighting pits and form the core of my Tactical Strike force (see #2)

2) Tactical Strike (150+200 to 150+400 pts) Sort of like Kill Team, but best for representing groups of survivors hunting each other in the wreckage of Istvaan. Full rules in the Victory Is Vengeance portion of HH Vol. 3, but you can google "Horus Heresy tactical strike adepticon" for a pared-down version of the Tactical Strike rules.

3) Zone Mortalis (500-1000 pts) Boarding actions and close-quarter fighting. You never need more than one Troop choice, and the format turns on a lot of models that're sort of crummy in bigger games. Tense and fast as hell. Rules for free on the FW page.

That's the best way to start, in my opinion. It's what I'm doing.

Edit: What you really might want to do is listen to the Independent Characters episodes 63, 64, 90, 91, 101, 102, 116, 117, and 120: http://theindependentcharacters.com/blog/?s=Horus+heresy&x=0&y=0

I wasn't crazy about their discussion of Volume I, but it's a good introduction and still a pretty good episode. You do not need to spend as much money on this as Carl (Ghost Hand in this thread) to have fun with Horus Heresy.

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 19, 2015

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
So with my next tournament at 1500 a couple weeks out I am conflicted on what to bring.

My lists so far have the usual core of tactical Marines with something deadly to provide the so called "tip of the spear" for my army. The first tournament I ran Grav-Centurions/Tigurius, followed by the following month SternGuard/Tigurius due the point threshold being 250 less. Sticking with my love affair with the Chief Librarian I had planned on bringing back for a third time but with my newly painted Assault Terminators and Land Raider Redeemer. That being said I am not sure if I should break the mold and try different tactic.

I have a full squad of Honor Guard that I have yet to bring to the tournament scene due to Calgar not really being conducive to a 1500 point or less game. That being said, lately I have given some thought to bringing him, but as a regular codex chapter master, and I was wondering what some of you might recommend. I'd like to keep him cheap, and am unsure what would be optimal. Basically should I stick with 5 Assault Terminators + Tigurius (for about 380 points) or try to bring a Chapter Master + Honor Guard for roughly the same amount? Thoughts on which would be more effective?

I am really struck but how points inefficient units like Command Squads and Vanguard Veterans are when compared to Assault Terminators or Honor Guard. 20 points for a single Veteran from a Command Squad when compared to 25 points for a single Honor Guard is silly considering how much better the later is. I only say this because I am in the process of painting my command squad and can't see myself ever taking it to anything outside of a friendly game.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Ugh. I want to start picking up Ad Mech stuff so bad but I'm waiting for a full codex.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

KuangMkV posted:

Get them red books, and start playing zone mortalis. Check the forge world horus heresy section for what mark of shoulder pads are available for the alpha legion, and buy the marks of armor you think look cool. This is a great way to get started. There's even an event-only alpha legion dude that I think is especially made for this type of game.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Star Man posted:

Ugh. I want to start picking up Ad Mech stuff so bad but I'm waiting for a full codex.

That's the thing that's really kept me from starting them. Juggling books would be no fun. Speaking of Ad Mech...
So I've been wanting to add Centurions to my old school Ultras for a while now, but there aren't many suitable models of the era for them. Then I thought hey, why not the old Rogue Trader robots? They're only a little bigger than a modern Terminator, and entirely too small to count-as the new Ad Mech robots, but I think they're really fun and funky models. The Castellan in the center is really the only one of the three I think the sculptor really thought through. The wonderfully chunky Cataphract on the right is just a staircase with legs and I don't know what the hell's up with the Conqueror on the right. That being said, once I got some freehand on these guys I liked them a lot!

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

SRM posted:

That's the thing that's really kept me from starting them. Juggling books would be no fun. Speaking of Ad Mech...

Pretty much. I just want hella death robots and something for my Gerantius-colored knight to buddy up with.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

The wonderfully chunky Cataphract on the right is just a staircase with legs and I don't know what the hell's up with the Conqueror on the right.
It wasn't hard to figure out which robots you meant, but it looks like you mixed something up there. :v:

In all seriousness, they look great. The sculpts are definitely showing their age which probably means they'll fit right in with your Ultramarines.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Safety Factor posted:

It wasn't hard to figure out which robots you meant, but it looks like you mixed something up there. :v:

In all seriousness, they look great. The sculpts are definitely showing their age which probably means they'll fit right in with your Ultramarines.

Well the first one's my right, and the second is your right, obviously :v:

Yeah, these models have a good 5-10 years on most other models in my Ultramarines, and if you ask me I think they're pretty bad sculpts, with the exception of the Castellan. I was actually really unsatisfied with them until I got the freehand details on them, which really brought them to life!

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

They're ugly but I actually really like them. I like goofy and/or old-school sculpts a lot, for some reason. Not just old GW stuff, at that.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Hahahaha, Ultramarines get a new special unit called Fulmentarus Terminators. They are basically Tyrant Siege Terminators, but with free tank hunters thrown ontop. If you bring 10 then they also reduce cover saves.

I don't know the point values yet, but I suspect that Iron Warriors are truly one of the worst 30k legions :allears:

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

BULBASAUR posted:

Hahahaha, Ultramarines get a new special unit called Fulmentarus Terminators. They are basically Tyrant Siege Terminators, but with free tank hunters thrown ontop. If you bring 10 then they also reduce cover saves.

I don't know the point values yet, but I suspect that Iron Warriors are truly one of the worst 30k legions :allears:

You're beginning to adopt the psyche of the iron warriors now, dude.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

They cost 20 extra points each. Even at 2k points that kind of piles up real fast.

LabiaBadgerTickler
Feb 12, 2014

by Ralp
So the new Skitarri army. They any good to play with?

I'm thinking of getting back in and the new models are catching my eye. Plus, i've always liked the dark mechanicus. So conversions ahoy!

One thing though is I chucked all my paints out. Besides GW paints, are they any good alternatives out there that are reasonably cheap to get a hold of?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Mango Polo posted:

They cost 20 extra points each. Even at 2k points that kind of piles up real fast.

70 points per model? Yeah, nobody's going to take those.

Big Willy Style posted:

You're beginning to adopt the psyche of the iron warriors now, dude.

It's the true meta meta game

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Gorkamorka was loving awesome and one of the last good things GW did before the abomination of 40k 3E. I can remember the White Dwarf editions back then where the staff would show off all their custom built trukks and trakks which in some ways was a bit of a downside to the game. I don't think I ever had a fully painted lot because after every fight I'd have to glue on a bit more armour here, another gun there and would just never stop tinkering with the models long enough to get them painted.

It also set up the new look for Orkz ever since as prior to Gorkamorka they'd been much cleaner with more manufactured-ish weaponry and armour like bolters and power axes rather than shootas and choppas. The Gorkamorka aesthetic pretty much became the base Ork after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Theres an irreconcilable rift between fans of Kevin Adams orks and Brian Nelson orks that can only be resolved in the thunderdome

• Locked thread