Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
holttho
May 21, 2007

He's just a Craigular Joe!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

We haven't had a single "Outrageous Outfit Entrance" from the Dean this season, have we?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Wee Bairns posted:

We haven't had a single "Outrageous Outfit Entrance" from the Dean this season, have we?

Well... I guess we don't see our patterns until they're all laid out in front of us.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Brawnfire posted:

Well... I guess we don't see our patterns until they're all laid out in front of us.

I now have a mental image of Frankie doing her Dean-soothing "so, so dumb" thing every time he does something Deanish. :allears:

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

I think the deans been on a roll this season. If this episode was in another season I doubt he'd be in it.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Hughlander posted:

Has Jeff called the Dean by his given name before this episode? It really seemed jarring when he did.

They're secret that way. With love.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Rochallor posted:

I like Keith David but drat Paget Brewster just fits in so well with everybody. It's like she's been here since season one.

Agree to disagree. I could really do without Paget.

Cybershell
Jun 12, 2007

I hold all of you in the highest contempt

Snacksmaniac posted:

They're secret that way. With love.

God that whole subplot literally had me in tears. Even if your heart is a shriveled black turd and you don't like this season you have to admit that whole schtick was hilarious.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

FIVE CANS?!?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
meh, this was the worst episode in the season so far, only even mildly funny part was when dean flashbacked too

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Hogge Wild posted:

meh, this was the worst episode in the season so far, only even mildly funny part was when dean flashbacked too

If you don't think the guy who tried to buy the giant hand is great that's a real shame imo, you're missing out.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Cybershell posted:

God that whole subplot literally had me in tears. Even if your heart is a shriveled black turd and you don't like this season you have to admit that whole schtick was hilarious.

Yeah, the olive can bit and the ending tag of that episode were pretty much the peak of this season.

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

ong-time listener, first-time caller.

For all the others who loved this week's tag, Dan Harmon talks all about its genesis in the newest Community Postmortem:

quote:

Yahoo:The show’s cartoon logic — the idea of following an idea to crazytown and beyond, but still being logical — is something you don’t see anywhere else. Another show might have a guy who buys a giant hand, but what is it about your thought process that generates the giant watch and the boy dragged away by a giant kite?
I guess I’ve always been fascinated with the difference between what we call comedy and what we call drama. This year, with the tags, we’re exploring a lot. I’ve also been fascinated with what we consider to be the boundaries of what a story is about and how life never really obeys those boundaries.

Dan Harmon: Down every street, there’s a story going on. Your perception warps that to turn everyone else in the world into background characters. The same as when you’re driving, the place directly around you doesn’t seem foggy — it’s everywhere else in the world that’s just in a fog. So it seems like all other human beings aren’t important and — if you’re having a good time — it seems like the world is good.

So I always enjoy the random embers from the campfire, following one in particular that tots off, rolls somewhere, and starts its own fire. And also, I get nervous when all we did was tell a joke, because it feels like, “Why is the show a half-hour long? And why is it so expensive and why do we care? We can just tell a joke into a microphone, so why are we watching a TV show?” I just feel like the answer has to be because people are real. Every joke has this tragedy behind it and every tragedy has a joke within it; that’s why this is a larger form that’s more captivating to people, so let’s make good on it.

So with that tag, the first thing is simply, “Well, isn’t this funny that we get to see the guy that was going to buy the hand?” Then that became, “Yeah, then he hangs up the phone, then we reveal that there’s this watch.” The original thought was this guy, he’s at a rest area — somewhere to make the exchange — so he goes over to his car and there’s a giant watch on a trailer on his car. And then we start thinking, yes, it’s funny that that guy exists and that we bother to spend time with him. Yes, that’s funny: We’ve done that before. Yes, it’s absurd and hilarious that the reason he wants a giant hand is because he already has a giant watch.

But then, having written that, you just go, “Well, if this is truly a funny joke and it’s so concise, then doesn’t it deserve to be defiled and explored? Because we can cut it later if we don’t like it, but let’s have his wife walk in. And just when you make people feel comfortable with you as Henny Youngman, turn into David Mamet and that’ll be extra funny. Alternating artifice with reality, back and forth, back and forth. I guess that’s just always been my instinct.

I just discovered these Q&A's, will have to read the rest. Starting with Grifting 101, to get some goddamn answers :argh:

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

ong-time listener, first-time caller.

Goddamn, the Grifting 101 Q&A reveals that in a later episode this season, Dan's wife Erin McGathy is going to be playing someone's fiancée. Dan then mentions that Erin's character's fiancée is "kind of a jerk," which I think in descending order of likeliness would be Jeff, Elroy, Frankie (most hilarious option IMO). Maybe Frankie wouldn't be so unlikely, though, considering that neither Jeff nor Elroy currently seems ready for a stable relationship, let alone marriage?
So my interest is sufficiently piqued for whenever that happens, maybe second-to-last episode since the finale will be another paintball extravaganza?

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

I was thinking about how great Kieth David has been in this, which lead me to ask myself: has Kieth David been bad in anything?

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

E: nvm misread

Kinda seems like this season mirrors the last one. There's a handful of good episodes, a couple great ones, and the last few of the seasons are absolutely awful

Krowley fucked around with this message at 13:31 on May 16, 2015

dead in real life
Jun 17, 2012
Just caught up on the latest episode. If you can call that good tv then you must really love this show and its characters unconditionally. 95% of the episode wasn't funny, hell, barely attempted to be, and the concept wasn't anywhere near good enough to justify it. The tag was pretty good. But Jesus, that episode was aggressively mediocre.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Carnaticum posted:

I was thinking about how great Kieth David has been in this, which lead me to ask myself: has Kieth David been bad in anything?

He was in "The Cape." How good could he have possibly been in that?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

PostNouveau posted:

He was in "The Cape." How good could he have possibly been in that?

That's true, I'm surprised Abed hasn't mentioned that, seeing as The Cape canonically exists in the Community universe and is responsible for the #sixseasonsandamovie meme that brought about this season.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
He also narrated a documentary for them a few years ago and had a direct interaction with Jeff while doing so.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Klungar posted:

That's true, I'm surprised Abed hasn't mentioned that, seeing as The Cape canonically exists in the Community universe and is responsible for the #sixseasonsandamovie meme that brought about this season.

It's really funny to me that Abed saying the Cape will last 6 seasons and a movie somehow led to Community getting 6 seasons and possibly a movie.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Hey, they bounced back from that clunker last week. I was worried.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Episode owned. Kumail and Mitch Hurwitz were both great. Unlike Season 4, they actually made paintball cool again.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Ok that was one of the first legit hilarious episodes in a long time.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
i ship anne/abed after every paintball episode

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That's the Community I love. Stylish and hilarious.

Also, Kumail being in it and during the party scene, just made me think of the X-Files episode Unrequited.

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 10:26 on May 19, 2015

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
The action scenes in this one were the best of any paintball episode, both in design and execution.

I forgot the one reason I don't like good Community; it makes me concerned over the show's future.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah that was solid, I have no concerns with the paintball gimmick continuing.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
That was a really good episode, I think the Dean was amazing.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

That was easily the best episode of the season.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
oh my god that scene with the dean screaming was amazing.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Dean Force One gang tag please

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I think you mean His Dean's Secret People.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I just started it an this is killing me. It's the best episdoe ever one minute in.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
:mediocre:

Paintball just isn't the same without a talented director.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Fantastic episode, and really glad they didn't pull the "Frankie was behind it the entire time" twist I was expecting to happen.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

Irish Joe posted:

Man I was already predisposed toward liking it thanks to this dipshit, but it turns out it's actually good, too!

edit: This would be amazing even if the entire episode was the five seconds where Kumail makes fun of how Danny Pudi can't pass for (part) Arabic.

Punch Card fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 19, 2015

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Irish Joe posted:

This is a good post because now I know that smilie exists.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
The scene with Dean in the elevator was pretty sweet.

I was expecting the crutch on the disabled guy to secretly be a paintball gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigstupidjellyfish
Oct 25, 2010
Unless I'm totally mistaken (and that's certainly a possibility) we never actually found out who Silver Ballz was. At first I just assumed it was Lapari, since he was the most obvious antagonist, but he's one of the few people it absolutely could not have been, since he was present in the shootout in the cafeteria where Abed and Annie were shot by silver paint, and his gun was loaded with green paintballs. Was it really just some anonymous City College flunky? For some reason that seems unsatisfying. The fact that it's not addressed seems conspicuous.

Other thoughts on the matter:

-One would assume that since the custodians are running the underground paintball war in collusion with city college, they'd be working in tandem with Silver Ballz if he was indeed also working for them. But then, what was their plan? Was the "assassination attempt" on Lapari always meant as a feint, and to what end? Lapari's Army seemed primed to enter the cafeteria. Did they just want a huge bloodbath with as many people there as possible? Was the disabled kid in on it, or was Jeff's overreaction an unexpected surprise?

-Was Koobler being found out and having his email hacked part of this "plan?" If so, why? If not, we're back to my question about why Silver Ballz would hint at an assassination of his supposed ally in email.

-Why was Silver Ballz's name in his email that even before he decided on the color of his paintballs?

-Hey actually what was city college attempting to accomplish with this? They tried the whole "put up a big prize to incentivize the students to destroy their own school" thing already, and it worked out terribly for them. They even had a ringer that time, too. And poo poo, since it all had to happen underground, the amount of collateral damage this time around was totally negligible.

-On that note, and this is really quibbling, if Lapari is frustrated with having to clean up after paintball every year, why would he team up with the group that caused the biggest, most extensive damage of all time.

-Maybe it was Frankie. I don't know what her motivation could possibly be. But she disappears right before Abed and Annie get shot. Pretty crazy theory, I know.

Now someone is going to tell me that I missed the obvious scene where they revealed that Leonard was the real Silver Ballz and I've totally been overthinking this.

• Locked thread