Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

konna posted:

Ignore what I said. The dip seems to happen with me too (314 fps to 275 fps). Maybe it has something to do with OCCT and not your hardware.

Yeah, I suspected it was just a poor synthetic test rather than a reflection on my PC. I closed D3Doverrider (I like to just flatly enable v-sync since I'm on a 60hz display) and I could play Ziggurat just fine. Some problems with chrome went away too when I closed it. I've never needed to close it before the last couple AMD driver revisions, something weird is going on there.

edit: Who wants to take bets on there being no witcher 3 optimised AMD driver on release. Seems nvidia already has theirs out.

cat doter fucked around with this message at 09:59 on May 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
I've had 2 blue screens and a load of game crashes in warthunder since I updated to the Witcher 3 nvidia drivers, what's the easiest way to roll back drivers?

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
This will probably do it:

Click Start
Click Control Panel
Windows Vista: Click System and Maintenance and then System or simply System (in Classic view). Windows 7: Click System and Security and then System.
In the left pane, click Device Manager
Double-click on Display Adapters
Double-click on your NVIDIA GPU
Select the Driver Tab
Click on Roll Back Driver

Also do you still shoot planes? I just started again and I'm trying to talk arcade mode legend ISHOOTPLANE back into it aswell

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 13:21 on May 18, 2015

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Thanks!

And yeah I still shoot planes. Although I probably won't for a while once the Witcher 3 is out

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
No worries Helio, I need some bros to shoot planes with so i'll message you on steam later

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

pr0zac posted:

Using displayport? Its probably related to the GPU and not the monitor. I have similar issues. Basically Asus needs up hurry up and push a BIOS update. https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?59850-GTX-970-980-BIOS-update-for-DisplayPort-issues

I have this issue with an Acer gsync monitor, I hooked it up to my old 770 and it was fine. Thanks for this as I actually know what is wrong.

Kill Dozed
Feb 13, 2008
One of the fans stopped working on my 560ti. Is it worth it to try and fix, or should I just buy a new card?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Kill Dozed posted:

One of the fans stopped working on my 560ti. Is it worth it to try and fix, or should I just buy a new card?

I wouldn't spend any money to fix it, but I'd look at it and make sure all the wires seem connected right. You have nothing to lose trying to reflow it either.

Worst case you go buy a 960 and enjoy a huge bump and some free bundle games.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

Kill Dozed posted:

It's about time you buy a new card if you plan on playing any new games.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

pr0zac posted:

Using displayport? Its probably related to the GPU and not the monitor. I have similar issues. Basically Asus needs up hurry up and push a BIOS update. https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?59850-GTX-970-980-BIOS-update-for-DisplayPort-issues

I did replace the video card. Previously I had a 7850HD and now have a GTX970, and the problem occurs on both. I've reverted back to HDMI and am running at half resolution for now because I need to cross-boot between Windows and Linux a lot.

Re the other chatter about why was I so stupid as to buy a 970 and expect to play 2160p games with it, the answer is, I wasn't. I'm not expecting to play Witcher 3 at max res on ultra settings.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
970s are fine at 2560 * 1440, people just exaggerate the poo poo out of things.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Gwaihir posted:

970s are fine at 2560 * 1440, people just exaggerate the poo poo out of things.

They are "fine" but you're not going to reach 144 hz.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Oh, no, sure. (But if it's a Gsync monitor then you don't need to stay capped there anyhow. It still looks utterly fantastic in the 70-100 FPS range, and is still very notably different from a plain 60hz screen.)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I sometimes wish I had a better card just to play GTAV. 970 is great though. Maybe I'll just get a second one.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
So I'm using an NVIDIA card for the first time in years. When I install a driver, can I just use their autoupdate feature, or do I have to manually uninstall every aspect of the old driver first like I did with my ATI cards?

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
geforce experience update works fine. I'm not sure if its truly automatic, but its as close as it gets.

no uninstall, unless you have issues. Those can happen though, and sometimes its hard to tell, but when it does simply uninstalling everything usually wont help anyway. Nvidia updates often enough where a full uninstall would get a little obnoxious

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Megasabin posted:

So I'm using an NVIDIA card for the first time in years. When I install a driver, can I just use their autoupdate feature, or do I have to manually uninstall every aspect of the old driver first like I did with my ATI cards?

Download this http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
Then boot into safe mode and cleanse everything. i found older AMD app profiles to be extremely hard to get rid off without DDU

After that you can just install incremental driver updates over the previous ones, never had a problem with that. I just reboot but technically you dont even need that anymore.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

sauer kraut posted:

Download this http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
Then boot into safe mode and cleanse everything. i found older AMD app profiles to be extremely hard to get rid off without DDU

This is a brand new computer, so no AMD stuff is on it. This is just the first time I've had to update the NVIDIA drivers since I built the computer.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
So Witcher 3 too, has the Nvidia Gameworks black box in it. Anyone else starting to get a little annoyed?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Can someone explain to me how Nvidia GeForce Experience works? When I click optimize settings it claims the settings are one thing, but when I actually launch the game and check the video options in the in-game settings menu it lists different options. If you launch the game from the Geforce Experience does it basically override the in-game settings without actually reflecting it there?

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Anyone know if there's a Witcher 3 AMD driver coming soon? Performance seems ok on 15.4, though I have no idea if that's the theoretical limit. Seems the bad CPU optimisation isn't an issue with Witcher 3 though, utilisation is quite low.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

sauer kraut posted:

After that you can just install incremental driver updates over the previous ones, never had a problem with that. I just reboot but technically you dont even need that anymore.

Also check the root of your system drive if you've been using AMD for a while. They like to scatter multiples copies of all the install files (all are labeled "AMD" so you don't really have to hunt). I don't think it interferes with other drivers since uninstall programs leave them alone but you might free up a couple of gigs on your system drive.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

So Witcher 3 too, has the Nvidia Gameworks black box in it. Anyone else starting to get a little annoyed?

I might be if early benchmarks weren't putting the GTX970 and 290X within +/-2fps of each other on Ultra/HBAO, with AMD winning at 1440p.

Admittedly Hairworks runs much worse on AMD but given GCNs miserable tessellation performance I'll give nVidia the benefit of the doubt there.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Here is my current configuration:

Intel Core i5 750 BOX, Quad Core, 2.67 GHz, LGA 1156
ASUS P7P55D, Intel P55, LGA1156, CFX (ATX)
XFX HD 5870 1GB, PCI-E x16 2.0, DP, HDMI
Intel X25-M G2 80GB, SATA-II, 2,5 Zoll
Samsung HD103SJ (1000Go, 3.5")
Corsair Vengeance (4x, 4Go, DDR3-1600, DIMM 240)

I'd like to run GTA V at 1920x1080, at the moment the game is complaining I don't have enough GPU memory.
Could I just update my GPU and get away with the rest? In which case, is there any recommended GPU?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Your GPU is absolutely the biggest (or smallest, I guess :v: ) bottleneck. It's definitely the first thing I would change in your situation. 1GB is not anywhere near enough for most modern games. The CPU might not be ideal but something tells me a more recent one wouldn't make a big difference.

Just buy a 970 and be done with it :v:

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Le0 posted:

Here is my current configuration:

Intel Core i5 750 BOX, Quad Core, 2.67 GHz, LGA 1156
ASUS P7P55D, Intel P55, LGA1156, CFX (ATX)
XFX HD 5870 1GB, PCI-E x16 2.0, DP, HDMI
Intel X25-M G2 80GB, SATA-II, 2,5 Zoll
Samsung HD103SJ (1000Go, 3.5")
Corsair Vengeance (4x, 4Go, DDR3-1600, DIMM 240)

I'd like to run GTA V at 1920x1080, at the moment the game is complaining I don't have enough GPU memory.
Could I just update my GPU and get away with the rest? In which case, is there any recommended GPU?

Yes, although the cpu is getting dated by far the most gaming improvement will be the gpu

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

cat doter posted:

Anyone know if there's a Witcher 3 AMD driver coming soon? Performance seems ok on 15.4, though I have no idea if that's the theoretical limit. Seems the bad CPU optimisation isn't an issue with Witcher 3 though, utilisation is quite low.

According to AMD's VP, sometime this week, I guess?

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Panty Saluter posted:

Your GPU is absolutely the biggest (or smallest, I guess :v: ) bottleneck. It's definitely the first thing I would change in your situation. 1GB is not anywhere near enough for most modern games. The CPU might not be ideal but something tells me a more recent one wouldn't make a big difference.

Just buy a 970 and be done with it :v:

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Yes, although the cpu is getting dated by far the most gaming improvement will be the gpu

Thx guys! Guess I will start by updating the GPU then see for the rest later on.
So is the 970 the go to GPU currently or was that a joke?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

970 is the best bang for the buck and will be night and day for you.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
We probably ought to have the thread title changed to GPU Megathread: Just buy a 970.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
For overclocking my 970, do I need to go up slowly in Afterburner or can I dial the clock and memory up and see if it works?

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Ragingsheep posted:

For overclocking my 970, do I need to go up slowly in Afterburner or can I dial the clock and memory up and see if it works?

You can do it both ways, but I can telll you right now you will probably end up reverting to stock and slowly bumping it when it starts crashing and you have no idea where its threshold is. However, there is probably a lot of meat on that table you can blow through before you hit that limit so yes you can just put a big chunk of OC in from the start. It wont explode, if that's what you're worried about it will just crash.

If you're going off other people's values keep in mind that for different cards those numbers can be vastly different - even if the mhz is the same. For example, one card could take +75 to get to 1400 mhz, when another brand takes +50

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
I had great luck using OCCT to quickly dial in the OC on my current AMD card. It has a GPU benchmark you can run and a check box for error checking. I just alt tabbed back and forth and played with numbers until it stopped throwing errors for about 10 minutes and I've been stable in games with higher clocks than I had before. (Left core speed default, cranked memory, backed down till no errors, then same for core.) Be sure to tab back into OCCT after changing settings. All in all probably took half an hour or less.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Just be careful when using artificial tools for GPU load testing. Keep an eye on the graphs in Afterburner/Precision and make sure GPU utilization is hitting 100% but the Power utilization isn't hitting 100% (or 110% if you boosted the limit).

Tools like FurMark have a tendency to plow through the power limit too quickly and cause the card to throttle itself, so the higher clocks you'll get under real world use won't be tested.

repiv fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 19, 2015

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Speaking of overclocks. Why would a custom overclocked bios work for a month then all the sudden start causing the driver to crash? Was my card just on the brink of stable and degrade just enough through the bios to start having issues?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

repiv posted:

Just be careful when using artificial tools for GPU load testing. Keep an eye on the graphs in Afterburner/Precision and make sure GPU utilization is hitting 100% but the Power utilization isn't hitting 100% (or 110% if you boosted the limit).

Tools like FurMark have a tendency to plow through the power limit too quickly and cause the card to throttle itself, so the higher clocks you'll get under real world use won't be tested.

This is good advice that would have saved me a couple of days of frustration when I got my cards set up.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

veedubfreak posted:

Speaking of overclocks. Why would a custom overclocked bios work for a month then all the sudden start causing the driver to crash? Was my card just on the brink of stable and degrade just enough through the bios to start having issues?

What does the custom bios change? If you are raising voltage or something then it could kill the gpu.

Evil Kaneval
Sep 28, 2001

Jumping books since 1938
I'm wondering if there are others here that are running 770s in SLI that have experienced a tremendous amount of stutter while using nVidia drivers beyond 347.88 (namely 350.12 and 352.86)? This has been a confounding problem for me as 347.88 worked flawlessly. I updated to 350.12 for GTA 5 and experienced game breaking stuttering in that and other games (Guild Wars 2 and Diablo 3). The stuttering stopped when I disabled SLI, but I wasn't happy with that solution.

I was able to roll back to 347.88 (uninstalled using DDU and reinstalled using the clean install option) and play through GTA 5 without issues. Fast forward to yesterday when I installed 352.86, hoping that my issues had been resolved. They had not. Again, all of my games (including Witcher 3) are experiencing horrible stutter with SLI enabled and I'm faced with rolling back to 347.88 again (which obviously doesn't have a Witcher 3 SLI profile). I'm really disappointed with these last two nVidia driver releases and I've seen a fair number of people using 770/780/780Ti having similar, but not identical, issues. I've heard that drivers after 347.88 are no longer supporting Kepler GPUs, which seems really odd (via the nVidia 7xx section of their official forums, seems mostly speculative though). I'm not terribly sensitive to performance issues, as long as gameplay is relatively smooth but this stutter absolutely destroys the experience I'm heavily invested in.

Also I'm using an i7-4790k in ASUS Maximus VII Hero motherboard - BIOS is fully updated on all system components. All components are seated properly and SLI bridge is secure.

Sorry if this isn't the right place to post these questions and thank you for any insight you all can provide.

Evil Kaneval fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 19, 2015

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Today AMD Confirmed that they will be releasing a product using the first generation of HBM + interposer, which is limited to 4GB.

They wouldn't say what the product is, presumably because they are waiting until Computex Taipei, which is scheduled for June 3 - 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Don Lapre posted:

What does the custom bios change? If you are raising voltage or something then it could kill the gpu.

Same voltage, higher stock clocks, higher voltage limit. I'm on water though, and reports are showing that without a hard mod of some sort you can't push voltage past 1.29v, so it's not that. It oddly enough coincided with a driver update. I need to put the SC bios back on it though.