Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Like, even leather armor would have worked on a troll. It was explicitly made a lot cheaper after the last tournament, so it wouldn't have been too many points. And it's pretty OK protection against blunt weapons, often turning shattered bones into merely broken (removing most of the bleeding and massively reducing pain), and broken bones into heavy bruising. This fight was supposed to demonstrate how a lightly armored large fighter can easily dominate the proverbial tin can. Welp.

I didn't even think about what to do next. I guess I'll give her full adamantine now or something.

Serpentmen don't need much of a nerf, I think. They have an ability that puts them on par with slightly larger creatures, so just giving them 1200 points instead of 1300 should do the trick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Serious question: Can a snakeperson inject their venom if they've had all their teeth knocked out?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

goatface posted:

Serious question: Can a snakeperson inject their venom if they've had all their teeth knocked out?

Nope. (I'm not sure, but I think you only need to knock out the fangs)

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
:siren:Round 1, Fight 10:siren:

Karoc Rockpounder is a male Dwarf fighter managed by Ablative. Very well armored hammer dwarf.
Get Yeti to rumble is a female Yeti fighter managed by Bene Elim. Naked Yeti with a huge sword that won't be able to get through the armor of the dwarf. Uh oh.

The gladiators charge forward, Karoc Rockpounder slams his hammer into the yeti's left thigh but all he leaves is a nasty bruise.

The gladiators dodge around for a moment, then Get Yeti to Rumble stabs (not slashes or cuts, just thrusts the sword) and Karoc Rockpounder's left foot goes flying! Karoc falls to the floor.
Karoc Rockpounder: I've been injured badly. I can't take it!
Karoc Rockpounder: Those injuries... Begone fear!

The downed dwarf continues to hand out punishment to the larger yeti. Karoc's helm stops a punch from the huge yeti (bruised skin, showing a head injury that is minimal).

The Yeti strikes the downed dwarf in the right calf with the pommel of his sword, exploding the dwarf's leg into a puddle of goo.

Yeti to Rumble shows some intelligence and steps back for a moment or three. The dwarf is bleeding badly, looking pretty pale.

Karoc Rockpounder loses hold of the hammer after taking a sword through the hand. Another two blows to foot and forearm finally send the hardy dwarf into unconsciousness.

Winner: Get Yeti to Rumble

Combat Log

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Coward posted:

Hooray!

Just need to work out how I managed to win that with someone else's Combat Log.

And sorry about this. Here's the actual log.

http://pastebin.com/1Sz8UNeH

On another note: gently caress YOU KAROC ROCKPOUNDER. I BET ON YOU AND YOU LOST TO A FREAKIN YETI.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
A pair of pretty good builds. Shame one of them had to lose... If there's one thing where big guys really shine, it's dealing with blunt force trauma. So much padding...

Interesting to note, Karoc almost managed to win the match.

quote:

Karoc Rockpounder bashes Get Yeti to Rumble in the lower body with his silver war hammer, bruising the muscle and bruising the guts!
Had that hit managed to make Get Yeti to Rumble nauseous, Rockpounder could have easily pummeled the Yeti into paste.

There's one stand-out flaw in Rockpounder's build I have to point out.

quote:

Get Yeti to Rumble strikes at Karoc Rockpounder but the shot is blocked with the iron shield!
Iron shields are cool, but also pretty drat heavy, and expensive. Wooden shields are much lighter and do the job just as well at almost 3 times smaller price.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Spermy Smurf posted:

On another note: gently caress YOU KAROC ROCKPOUNDER. I BET ON YOU AND YOU LOST TO A FREAKIN YETI.

Welcome to the world of everyone who's ever bet on you.

my dad posted:

Iron shields are cool, but also pretty drat heavy, and expensive. Wooden shields are much lighter and do the job just as well at almost 3 times smaller price.

Yeah, I forgot how shields work. Oh well, better luck next time.

Bene, I swear to god if you don't take this tournament...

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

CRUSHTAUR THE CRUSHINATOR is a female Minotaur fighter managed by Podima. Copper war hammer? Kind of light for a hammer wouldn't you say?
The Axe is a male Molemarian fighter managed by Silverminnow. Huge axe moleman.

The gladiators charge to the center arena, CRUSHTAUR's tits and teats flopping around madly. I am just assuming that female minotaurs have human female breasts and female cow udders. The Axe scratches CRUSHTAUR's right leg, followed by hacking the minotaur in the left forearm. CRUSHTAUR gores The Axe in the chest-area, bruising a lung!

Minotaur blood lands on the arena floor when The Axe pulls his huge axe from the wound. CRUSHTAUR surprises The Axe with a well-placed charge, knocking the moleman to the floor!

The Axe stands up and chops off CRUSHTAUR THE CRUSHINATOR's head with his next swing.

Winner: The Axe

Combat Log

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 18, 2015

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Ha! The leather slowed down the axe enough for it to get it stuck in the fat instead of hurting the muscle!

Not that it helped in the end.

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010
See! Now my purchase of leather armor for my cowman is totally justified. Also hurry up and run the next one Spermy, I'm next, come ooooon.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I was gonna do two a day, because I'm gone Thursday till Tuesday and won't be able to run poo poo. This would finish round 1 on Wednesday afternoon eastern time.

I figured people could update their fighters and talk about how awesome I am in the meantime before I get back to run Round 2.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 18, 2015

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Oh yeah. SO awesome.

Ablative posted:

:smugbert:

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Most of my money, lost to a yeti.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
:negative: I thought copper was heavy enough for a starting point! That or I was drunk and picked the wrong material.

Getting eliminated in Round 1 is the worst.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Podima posted:

:negative: I thought copper was heavy enough for a starting point! That or I was drunk and picked the wrong material.

It literally didn't matter at all. You never landed a hit with the hammer.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Khisanth Magus posted:

Most of my money, lost to a yeti.

Most of your money, lost to Bene Elim. Let's put it in context, eh?

VladTheEater
Dec 30, 2008

Ahhhhhh, fresh meat.

Podima posted:

Getting eliminated in Round 1 is the worst.

Oh, I'm pretty sure Copper would have been fine. You had a massive size advantage over the Molemarian.

My size 130 Tigerman got murdered by a size 60 Goblin's copper mace through a nearly full set of iron armor... so copper seems plenty bashy.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Copper's not a bad start if you can't afford silver or platinum. It should be about the same weight as bronze.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
Copper has worked great for me as a start twice now. Anecdotal, but whatever.

The problem begins when people start getting blue armor; I have no idea if anything can be done except luck out against adamantine not-chain when you have a hammer. :shrug:

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!
Last Yeti standing. Not much of an honour, but I'll take it!

Ablative posted:

Yeah, I forgot how shields work. Oh well, better luck next time.

Bene, I swear to god if you don't take this tournament...
I'd say 'I'll try', but that usually works out badly. I'll just keep making my zweihander yeti as badass as possible.

Ghostwoods posted:

Most of your money, lost to Bene Elim. Let's put it in context, eh?
Can I hire you as my promoter?

Bene Elim fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 18, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Platinum is the heaviest material available. It's pretty drat costly though. Copper and Silver have near identical densities. 8.5 vs 9, not that much of a difference, not enough to justify using silver.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
I did not bet well. :saddowns:

LSD at the gangbang
Dec 27, 2009

Snakebite success, a yeti winning things. Madness.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
:siren:Round 1, Fight 12:siren:

Manotaur is a male Minotaur fighter managed by Locomotive breath carrying a huge copper axe and minimal armor.
Carver is a female Soldier Ant Woman fighter managed by pun pundit with a steel sword and shield.

Gladiators meet, Manotaur's shot is deflected easily. The return strike tears into the minotaurs left foot; muscles severed and blood gushing Manotaur falls to the floor.
Manotaur: Our time in The Arena is so brief... This doesn't scare me.

The antwoman steps back for a mooment, Manotaur continues bleeding.

Carver darts forward and lances her sword into Manotaur twice. Manotaur passes out from the pain of his hand and gaping chest wound.

Carver stabs Manotaur in the head, ending his chances.

Winner: Carver

Combat Log

Fuubi
Jan 18, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Aaaand there goes most of my money down the drain...

...useless minotaur

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Good at weapon is pretty good in round one.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
The weapon skills weren't that different in the last two fights. 1 level difference in both cases I believe. There was a couple levels difference in "fighting" though, so that may make the difference?

Fuubi
Jan 18, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER

goatface posted:

Good at weapon is pretty good in round one.

Just out of curiosity, how many points in whatever chosen weapon skill is considered "good"?

I'm curious how much my poor tigerwoman will underperform due to lack of skills.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

^ carver had 4 weapon skill for that match, not really "good" as far as I can tell.

My fighter won a match...? And next round is guaranteed not to be facing a serpent, this is looking up. Oh, and thanks for all the dorfbux!

pun pundit fucked around with this message at 15:32 on May 19, 2015

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Spermy Smurf posted:

The weapon skills weren't that different in the last two fights. 1 level difference in both cases I believe. There was a couple levels difference in "fighting" though, so that may make the difference?

With similar skills, and attack-oriented builds, the first person to get a hit usually wins. Not much to do with builds.

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010
I blame Spermy for my cowman's loss, clearly he tampered with the RNG. Clearly! I knew I should have just made another Yeti.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
:siren:Round 1, Fight 13:siren:

Sir Scissor is a male Troll fighter managed by Haystack with a halbard and shield.
Puncture Wound is a female Troll fighter managed by Lorrdernie with nothing but her hands and a helmet.

It looks like this will be a classic tale of Boy vs Girl. Maybe they'll fall in love and get married. Who knows.

Sir Scissor leads the charge with his halbard out in front of him. Puncture Wound charges right into it, fracturing her right thigh bone and severing muscles! Puncture Wound is down! Puncture Wound gores Sir Scissor twice, causing bruises.

Sir Scissor retaliates by stabbing the females left forearm, fracturing bone. From the ground all Puncture Wound can do is to gore Sir Scissor in the big toe, collapsing it into gore.

Sir Scissor stabs Puncture Wound twice more in rapid succession. Puncture Wound gores Sir Scissor in the tusk with her tusk, and her tusk wins the tusk battle as Sir Scissor's tusk goes flying. That hurt to write

Sir Scissor says a tusk for a tusk and chops off the downed female's left tusk.

Puncture Wound is exhausted. It might be the blood loss to be honest.

Two more stabs from Sir Scissor (left foot and left thigh) causes Puncture Wound to pass out.

The last half of the combat log is Sir Scissor trying to kill Puncture Wound. Lungs, kidneys, liver, guts, more lungs... Everything gets stabbed. Finally, mercifully, Puncture Wound bleeds out.

Winner: Sir Scissor

Combat Log

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 19, 2015

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I will run the last two fights tomorrow.

Also: Nice betting, Jazz.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Sir Scissor would like to compliment Puncture Wound for her appropriately prophetic name, and wish her a peaceful rest in Wonderhome

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Spermy Smurf posted:

I will run the last two fights tomorrow.

Also: Nice betting, Jazz.

I was just trying to get some action going on the fights that hadn't been bet on yet. At least, they hadn't been bet on yet at the time I placed those bets. :shrug:

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

Haystack posted:

Sir Scissor would like to compliment Puncture Wound for her appropriately prophetic name, and wish her a peaceful rest in Wonderhome

Biting still worked surprisingly well tbh

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
:siren:Round 1, Fight 14:siren:

NarcolepsyTheNarcoticsOfficer is a male Goblin fighter managed by ZeeToo.
Paranoid Ant-droid is a female Soldier Ant Woman fighter managed by Maarak.
Both fighters carry a bronze spear. One of them carries three shields in addition to the spear and a shitload of armor (and 4 steel gauntlets!) while the other is naked. I'll let you figure out which one is which.

The fighters meet in the center of the arena. Narcolepsy's first strike is turned aside by a shield. Paranoid's spear strikes true, tearing deep into the muscle of the goblins left thigh. Nerves are severed, arteries are opened, and Narcolepsy falls to the floor.

Narcolepsy isn't going down without a fight! From the ground he stabs the antwoman in the foot, sending the foot flying!
NarcolepsyTheNarcoticsOfficer: Those injuries... I must not succumb to fear!
Paranoid Ant-droid: I've been injured badly. I can't take it!

Excuse the horrible screenshot. As the worst commissioner I don't know how to scroll down in the wound area because the antmen race has waaaay too many arms so I never get to see the wounds on their feet. I am pretty sure someone told me before, but I forgot and am too lazy to look back in the chat.

You know what they say: a foot for a hand. Paranoid Ant-Droid stabs Narcolepsy in the right hand, sending it flying across the arena.

Ah, this is the Dwarf Fortress I know and love. Bodyparts rain from the sky!

The antwoman stabs Narcolepsy in the stomach, tearing guts to shreds. That's it for Narcolepsy.

The only consolation is that Narcolepsy sent a bodypart flying further than any other fight so far.

Winner: Paranoid Ant-Droid

Combat Log

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
There is only 750 Dwarfbucks riding on this last fight. Either no one cares, or everyone bet the money on themselves. Lets get the fight up over 1000 at least, someone must still have some bucks that they haven't bet yet!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Spermy Smurf posted:

There is only 750 Dwarfbucks riding on this last fight. Either no one cares, or everyone bet the money on themselves. Lets get the fight up over 1000 at least, someone must still have some bucks that they haven't bet yet!

I'd have a lot more money to throw around if you hadn't screwed up my fight so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuubi
Jan 18, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER
whoa I'm up next~! And against a snakeperson to boot!

So a quick, venomous death for me eh? I suggest placing all your bets on the one with a really witty name and not on the one with the really boring name. :cheeky:

• Locked thread