Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Trilas posted:

:stare:I don't remember that. God drat.

Iirc, she said that she didn't want to be a tax attorney but moved in to that field because Marcus told her to.

Enjoy one of the weirdest moments in 2012 election

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=49CwthWweXA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Tab8715 posted:

Just to be clear, did O'Rilley lose all custody of his kids but is appealing the ruling?

He doesn't care about the kids, he just can't bear to lose control of anything . Dude is a menace.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Tab8715 posted:

Just to be clear, did O'Rilley lose all custody of his kids but is appealing the ruling?

http://gawker.com/bill-o-reilly-accused-of-domestic-violence-in-custody-b-1705006992

I know its gawker, but it has all the details.

He even did a Palin and tried to get the guy fired from the police too.

quote:

While all of this was going on, as Gawker reported in March 2013, O’Reilly was trying to get McPhilmy excommunicated from the Roman Catholic Church, in which the couple married in 1996. McPhilmy even received a letter from her local parish, another Long Island institution where O’Reilly enjoys influence, admonishing her for taking communion. (In the Church, divorcing and remarrying is considered a grave offense to God.) At the same time, O’Reilly was seeking a formal annulment—a procedure most commonly sought for marriages that last less than a year—for his and McPhilmy’s 15-year-long matrimony.

O'Reilly is a petty vicious little oval office.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Accretionist posted:

Doesn't stop us talking about how Bill O'Rielly hits women, though.
Considering how American mainstream media is largely right-wing-influenced, I would be surprised if this gets legs. See also the other heinous adulterous and domestic poo poo O'Reilly (and even bigtime GOP figures like Newt) has gotten up to, and we never hear a peep.

Would be great if somebody on MSNBC or something harped on this though.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Hazo posted:

Considering how American mainstream media is largely right-wing-influenced, I would be surprised if this gets legs. See also the other heinous adulterous and domestic poo poo O'Reilly (and even bigtime GOP figures like Newt) has gotten up to, and we never hear a peep.

Would be great if somebody on MSNBC or something harped on this though.

Uhhh, what? Did you somehow miss the reporting on presidential hopeful Hillary Clinton, who allowed her husband to cheat on her?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://www.salon.com/2015/05/16/jon_stewart_vs_sean_hannity_we_all_know_who_the_real_sanctimonious_jackass_is/

Sean Hannity got Beach Drinking banned in Panama City Beach

I don't know why this offends me, but it does. It just feels like the right seems to bitch about how every other thing is unconstitutional, then he starts to pout and whine when something they don't like happens.

also lines like this:

“evidence of the left’s hypocrisy; they don’t really care.”

Are lame.

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

Tender Bender posted:

Don't forget the time he called a female employee and masturbated over the phone while talking to her about his fantasies, including "rubbing the falafel thing on your pussy".

That quote out of context is disturbingly hilarious but in-context you realize he's talking about a loofah.

Everyone who goes on his show that isn't part of the right-wing echo-chamber needs to make a point of mentioning falafels and loofahs as many times as they can, and make sure it's organically part of the conversation, so it's impossible for them all to be edited out of the final broadcast. Eventually his viewers would be like "what's the deal with all this falafel/loofah stuff??" and they'd have their great-grandchildren Google it for them.

happyhippy posted:

http://gawker.com/bill-o-reilly-accused-of-domestic-violence-in-custody-b-1705006992

I know its gawker, but it has all the details.

He even did a Palin and tried to get the guy fired from the police too.

O'Reilly is a petty vicious little oval office.

Man, I really miss Stephen Colbert. :smith:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I really, really dislike this guy;

quote:

Lang: So I spoke to different people and they said you know, “why don’t sign up for the Affordable Healthcare Act?” So I did. It took me over three hours to do the application online because of my eyes. And back then my eyes were a whole hell of a lot better than they are now. So I get the results … denied.

Pollack: I don’t understand how you can be … What do you mean by denied?

Lang: I was denied.

Pollack: Denied what?

Lang: Denied coverage … under the Affordable Healthcare Act.

Pollack: I don’t understand.

Lang: I’m going to explain to you now why.

Pollack: Okay.

Lang: Because I couldn’t understand either. So the next day I spent over an hour and a half on the phone with a representative of it. And they told me that basically I was denied for two reasons: One … which is a first gap in the system … is I was out of enrollment, open enrollment time.

Pollack: Oh I see. You were trying to enroll and you didn’t have a qualifying life event. That’s what they told you.

Lang: I wasn’t during open enrollment.

Pollack: Yeah.

Lang: I did not qualify for their special enrollment program.

Pollack: So the problem was that you didn’t sign up during … you were required to sign up during the enrollment and you didn’t but you got sick during the off time and tried to enroll when you got sick … and that’s not a qualifying event.

Lang: Okay.

Pollack: I’m trying to understand. That’s basically what happened to you.

Lang: Well that’s part of it. The other part, that even if I would have … because open enrollment I was told ended February 15th and my hospital visit oddly enough was February 25th … oddly enough 10 days right after. Right when my headaches started was right when open enrollment ended but … that was part of it. Even if I would have signed up in January for it, I still would have been denied because my expected income this year is zero because of my eyes.

Pollack: But that’s not because of President of Obama, that’s because the state of South Carolina has chosen not to expand Medicaid. That has nothing to do with President Obama. That’s completely your state government.

Lang: Okay, but if you get to the beginning, the only reason my visits went from $80 that I was paying to over $610 that I could no longer afford was because the Affordable Healthcare Act went into place and what happened was …

Pollack: I don’t understand why that …

Lang: I’m going to explain to you that.

Pollack: Okay.

Lang: What happened … because I later on got some more information … was because of that, all the other insurance companies cut back on what they were paying doctors so he could no longer afford to give me discounts because what he would make on other payments that other insurance companies would pay full payment, he would use it help other people who didn’t and basically what he was charging me was the same thing like if I had Medicare. So if I had Medicaid, he would have only gotten paid $80 for the visit and that’s the only thing he was asking me to pay.

Pollack: Yeah, the … okay.

Lang: I can’t blame him. He’s been wonderful, but and again, I’ve done my little bit of research and I’ve heard about this over and over again of doctors that used to work on sliding scales that can no longer work on sliding scales

quote:

Lang: What I’ve been hearing is that this has been happening to a lot of doctors across the country but … and understand something. It’s not that I’m against the Affordable Healthcare Act, my problem is that it wasn’t done properly. The ongoing joke that I always say, I think Microsoft wrote the Affordable Healthcare Act.

Pollack: Let me ask you … I’m sorry, go ahead.

Lang: Every time they launch a new Windows, it takes them six months to a year to fix all the bugs. It should have never been launched until it was properly thought out and shoved down our throats.

quote:

Pollack: Yes. I figured that you’ve heard it before.

I mean I wouldn’t deny that for a second and nobody else would either. I can tell you as someone who was very involved in the law and very proud of it, I was … you can imagine how humiliating it was for me and many other people that it was so screwed up in that.

However, almost everything that you’ve said so far really either has nothing to do with the law or it reflects the fact the word hasn’t gotten out about what you have to do as citizen to comply with the new law because you were …

Lang: Okay, to answer that …

Pollack: Hold on, hold on. You were required to have gotten health insurance coverage during the open enrollment period which you didn’t do … and by the way, you’re not alone in that. Many many people haven’t done that.

Lang: Oh I know that.

Pollack: Hold on. Hold on. You know, you cannot have a health insurance … that’s one thing. You cannot have a health insurance system where people sign up … you know … when they get sick.

Lang: I agree, 100 percent.

Pollack: The second thing is that your state … If you lived in a liberal state right now you would just be on Medicaid and they would be paying for your treatment right now. That’s just a fact about the red states have just … in South Carolina … 90 percent of the adults who are shut out of Medicaid live in the South.

Lang: Right.

Pollack: Every place else in the country, if you have an income of zero … almost every place else in the country … every place else in terms of where the people live … you know there are small states that haven’t done it. But certainly, here in Illinois … if you came to my office right now and explained your story we would solve your problem because we would sign you up for Medicaid and you’d get it … and people would sort of give you a little bit of a “Tsk Tsk” that you didn’t sign up during the enrollment period but we’d be able to help you through Medicaid.

Your state has decided not to do that. That has nothing to do with President Obama. It has nothing to do with anything about Obamacare. That is your governor and your state legislature that have done that.

Lang: Okay but there’s, okay. A couple of points. It’s not that I’m only blaming the federal government. I blame both the state and federal as far as … for certain things. But again as far as one of the gaps that I was talking about with the Affordable Healthcare Act. You … to sign up … you have to put down what you expect to make, correct?

Pollack: Mm-hmm (affirmative). Yeah.

Lang: If you’re off, you either have to pay money or fines at the end of the year, correct?

Pollack: Yeah, that’s right on April 15th. On April 15th you could either owe money or get a check back based on how different your prediction was from your earnings … that’s right.

Lang: Okay, now for a person like you who has a structured job you pretty much know what you’re going to make yearly, correct?

Pollack: Yep.

Lang: Okay, but a person like myself that I do handyman work and I was doing work for the banks and for HUD on their foreclosures … my income varies week by week, month by month. I could make, for example, I could make $2,000 one month and the following month make $200. So because my income fluctuates …

Pollack: Hold on one second. I just to see if someone’s at my door. Hold on.

Lang: Okay.

[Conversation off microphone]

Pollack: Sorry.

Lang: That’s okay. That’s okay. So because a person like me whose income fluctuates, again it’s not set up properly. So we chose that okay, I’m not going to go and all of the sudden at the end of the year I’ve got this enormous amount that I have to pay … I’m not going to go through all that.

Second of all, if I were to get insurance on my own, as being self employed, the rates are so outrageous. The odd part about this was by next year, we were going to be actually moving and my job was going to be a little bit more structured where I had a little bit more control over it. So we WERE going to sign up for it because we said I’m 49. My wife is 55. We’ve always been very healthy. Whenever we have gone to the doctor we paid it out of pocket but …

Pollack: You say you’ve always been very healthy, you’ve also had … You have, you’re not so healthy in terms of some of your risk factors.

Lang: My diabetes I used to control. I used to take my sugar, insulin, you could buy over the counter. Again, we’ve always paid for everything.

Pollack: If there were no ACA and you tried to buy health insurance on the individual market given your personal characteristics, you would be really be in the pre … before 2010, you would have really gotten hammered based on the smoking and the diabetes and the related stuff. That’s just a fact about the way that health insurers do their thing.

Lang: Well and see the thing is, that has nothing to do with the Affordable Healthcare Act or the ACA.

Pollack: Well, the ACA basically outlawed charging people higher premiums based on their … or terminating people based on pre-existing conditions and risk factors. So the only thing that can ask you about is smoking and age.

http://www.healthinsurance.org/blog/2015/05/16/a-conversation-with-crowdfunder-luis-lang/

:psyduck:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

You know how there are titles like "Mister" and "Misses" and "Doctor" and stuff? Can we get something through where his title is "Dumb Motherfucker"? So instead of "Mr Luis Lang" it's now "Dumb Motherfucker Luis Lang"?

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

He had someone sit down and explain it too him, explain it calmly and politely by the looks of it, and he still won't accept that what's happened is entirely his fault.

Christ almighty what an rear end in a top hat.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I'm sorry, he's just dumb as poo poo. Sucks that he's going blind.

quote:

I went to the doctor today and will be posting his notes on here tomorrow. Some things that were said in the media were not true. I will fill in the details tomorrow after I find out all of the facts then I will post it. In the mean while I would again like to thank all of the wonderful and big hearted liberals that have donated to me in my time of need. It does not matter the size of the donations because I know that it comes from the heart and some of the comments that have been made I deserve. But not all of them.

Plinkey fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 19, 2015

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Just a cursory glance at the dude's GFM page, and there are people donating as high as $100!! :smith:

Plinkey posted:

I'm sorry, he's just dumb as poo poo. Sucks that he's going blind.

Oh good, can't wait to see what he says next.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Mr Interweb posted:

Well, it's not like he'll be able to.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Mr Interweb posted:

I see what you did there.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
I would like it if that man did not go blind. It wouldn't make it onto a list of genie wishes or anything though.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Mr Interweb posted:

Just a cursory glance at the dude's GFM page, and there are people donating as high as $100!! :smith:

I'm sure the RNC can't either

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
:siren: :derp: THE END TIMES ARE COMING!!!! I KNOW WHAT ANGELS SOUND LIKE!!!! :derp: :siren:

http://www.glennbeck.com/2015/05/18/some-people-are-saying-these-trumpets-are-a-sign-of-the-end-times/

Well no Glenn that's exactly a sound that machinery makes when you hear it from far away. Like seriously dude, have you never heard metal scraping on metal? That's the noise it makes when there is a lot of it.

ToxicSlurpee fucked around with this message at 06:31 on May 19, 2015

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Good Citizen posted:

I would like it if that man did not go blind. It wouldn't make it onto a list of genie wishes or anything though.

On the other hand, I feel absolutely zero remorse for conservative boomers getting owned by their own petty shortsightedness. At least we know that this boomer in particular won't have to worry about said shortsightedness for too much longer.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action
Those angels are loving terrible trumpet players

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

That's usually what a shofar sounds like when it is played by someone who has no idea what they are doing. Like a Judaism fetishizing Christian for example.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
I'm waiting for this guy (or his wife) to have another medical problem, just to see how he handles it.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

ToxicSlurpee posted:

:siren: :derp: THE END TIMES ARE COMING!!!! I KNOW WHAT ANGELS SOUND LIKE!!!! :derp: :siren:

http://www.glennbeck.com/2015/05/18/some-people-are-saying-these-trumpets-are-a-sign-of-the-end-times/

Well no Glenn that's exactly a sound that machinery makes when you hear it from far away. Like seriously dude, have you never heard metal scraping on metal? That's the noise it makes when there is a lot of it.

~*~some poeple~*~

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
That's funny, I happen to hear the same story on Coast to Coast AM last night. Sounds legit.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Youtube has been full of these things for years now, Beck's behind the curve. I guess dubbing mechanical noises over nature footage is a bit easier than standing outside filming contrails and there's the added bonus of the BIBLE REVELATION ANGEL TRUMPETS angle.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

I had a coworker bring this to my attention yesterday. She was going "But there were no trains nearby!" And when she played a few I noticed that on several the sounds were identical. Also that they usually begin just before the sound, and not cutting in when it was already going.

Looks to me like someone getting train noises on video and then others jumping on the bandwagon with copycat vids.

Much like the whole crop circle thng.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Sir Tonk posted:

~*~some poeple~*~

It always makes me glad to see that the good Mr. Beck didn't forget all those wonderful skills he learned at Fox News.

Some people are saying that Obama is actually a silicon-based life form sent from Andromeda to destroy us. He has never denied this publicly. WHAT ARE YOU HIDING, OBAMA?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

This is absolutely incredible from Fox News

The Lefts War on Fox Women

quote:

One of the worst aspects of the illiberal left is its heinous sexism against women with whom they disagree.

Megyn Kelly, a former lawyer, is a serious and highly successful television journalist. When her contract was up for renewal in 2013, the New York Times reported that both CNN and NBC wanted to hire her away from Fox, a strange thing to desire if Fox News is not a “legitimate” news outlet.

But to the illiberal left, Megyn Kelly is not a reporter or a commentator or a woman to be respected for her achievements. She is a Fox “babe” to be characterized by her looks.

The Huffington Post linked to a New York Times story about Kelly adding the headline, “Megyn Kelly, ‘Attractive-Looking Blond’ Anchorwoman, Leads the Pack at Fox News,” twisting a flattering quote from the story to make it seem as if the only positive attribute she possessed were her looks.

Over at the feminist website Jezebel, where they are all about being “pro-woman,” one writer said she liked Kelly the way she did “Ursula from the Little Mermaid,” adding that she “sort of” loved her despite Kelly being “largely a horrible, terrible person with many horrible, stupid thoughts and opinions.” This was the same “feminist” site that had previously described the prime-time host and former corporate litigator as a “Fox Newsbot.”
Related Image
powers Expand / Contract

It is also a website that the illiberal left considers a “legitimate” news source, as there were no complaints when MSNBC hired former Salon.com columnist Irin Carmon, who also happened to be a former blogger for Jezebel, to be a national reporter to cover politics and women’s issues.

The outspoken liberal feminist and supporter of Democrats has a fellowship at Yale University on Reproductive Justice. (Imagine if Fox News hired a conservative “pro-life” blogger and gave her the title of national reporter and had her covering women’s issues.)

The website Capital New York ran a January 2015 profile on Carmon, in which they asked her, “Was it a tough adjustment going from opinionated blogging with a strong voice to reporting for cable news?” Carmon explained that, “Well, we get to do some opinionating and strong voice-ing on the air around here . . . but I’ve always seen myself as a reporter first. . . .”

At Fox News there is a sharp distinction between commentators and opinion hosts and reporters. In the media corners of the illiberal left, not so much.

Carmon explained that, “there’s so much more space now for reporting with a passionate point of view, which is where I see my own work, than there was even a few years ago when I was starting out.”

If Carmon is an example of a woman the illiberal left considers a legitimate journalist, Megyn Kelly is someone the illiberal left tries to delegitimize through the oldest sexist trick in the book—objectifying her as a woman. In 2010, the New Republic’s Jonathan Chait posted a screenshot of Kelly seemingly in mid-sentence under the headline, “The Quintessential Fox News Image.” He wrote: “Everything you need to know about Fox News is captured in this screenshot: the American flags, the fearmongering image in the upper-right corner, the blond anchor with a facial expression that somehow combines sneering with absolute terror.” Kelly wasn’t sneering or looking frightened, though she is blonde and is on Fox which to the illiberal left means she’s a nameless “blond anchor” and candidate for being objectified and dehumanized.

Liberal journalist Lee Siegel wrote for Men’s Journal explaining to liberal men what they were missing about “the blondes of Fox News.” He explained how fun it was to watch them, as “Fox women are studies in passive-aggressive revolt against their ideological masters.” These “masters” are white men who the “Fox women” secretly believe are “fools.” His article was headlined, “The Right, Hot, and Bothered Blondes of Fox News: One man’s guilty obsession with Megyn Kelly and the blondes of Fox News.” He explained his liberal brethren needed to appreciate that, “Most blonde anchors on Fox are dyed blondes,” and a woman who dyes her hair blonde has “on some level, subordinated her will to male desire.” But there’s more. The Fox News blonde “is also dangerous. She has another identity concealed by the one she submissively shares with you. Lurking within every Fox blonde is a CNN brunette.” He closed with, “Fox blondes hold out the promise of rational intelligence and sexual gratification—two precious and tragically incompatible human qualities. Of all the shameless lies Fox tells, that beautiful illusion may be the most potent.”

VH1.com ran a July feature, “Meet the Blondes of Fox News” featuring a picture of Megyn Kelly, Dana Perino, and Elisabeth Hasselbeck along with a photo gallery of a few of Fox’s female journalists. “If you thought Fox News Channel was just a boys club, think again,” VH1 exclaimed. (Who ever thought that?) They went on to explain that yes, Fox hires women, “but they’re not necessarily adding sensibility to Fox News’ reporting. We’re all for strong women in the newsroom, but we’re not sure if Fox News’ blondes fit that bill.” In particular, they explained that “Fox News’ blonde bombshells” such as Megyn Kelly “can’t be taken seriously” and included Greta Van Susteren, who holds a law degree from Georgetown and whose show “On the Record” has been top in its time slot for more than a decade, and Laura Ingraham, who holds a law degree from the University of Virginia, in their roundup of dumb blondes.

Allure, a women’s beauty magazine, ran a poem by one of their editors, David DeNicolo, under the headline “Fox News Anchors: Hot or Not? With its bevy of babes, the network should be called the Foxy News Channel.” DeNicolo rhymed about the legs and hair and “gleaming smiles” of Fox News anchors and then, “Sure, Rachel Maddow has the smarts, But can she work her giggly parts?”

Jonathan Chait at New York magazine wrote: “If you have never seen Fox News before, here is a four-minute clip that captures the essence of the network so perfectly that you need never watch anything on it again. It’s all here. At the center, you have an old conservative white guy who is enraged about a fact that exists only in his addled brain. At his side, there’s a blonde sidekick who nods along with him but doesn’t get in the way.” The alleged cipher and “blonde sidekick” was Monica Crowley, a conservative radio host who holds a Ph.D. from Columbia University in International Affairs.

So pervasive is the smear that all the female commentators and anchors on Fox are dumb blonde chicks that it was actually fact-checked by Politi-Fact. That’s not a joke. They analyzed the female hosts’ and anchors’ hair color and found the assertion “mostly false,” because Fox had its fair share of black-haired and brunette women.

What might have been more elevating was recognizing the achievements of Fox News’ female anchors, reporters, and commentators. Mentioning for instance that Gretchen Carlson is an Emmy Award–winning reporter who used to work for CBS, or that Kimberly Guilfoyle of “The Five” is a former assistant district attorney, or that Jeanine Pirro is a former judge and district attorney. But acknowledging the talent and achievements of the people who work at Fox News contradicts the illiberal left’s propaganda that Fox News is somehow illegitimate. It is only “illegitimate” because the illiberal left wants to silence dissent and seeks to do so not through besting its opponents in argument and debate but through the lowest form of scurrilous sexism or simple refusal to tolerate other points of view.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

quote:

Over at the feminist website Jezebel, where they are all about being “pro-woman,” one writer said she liked Kelly the way she did “Ursula from the Little Mermaid,” adding that she “sort of” loved her despite Kelly being “largely a horrible, terrible person with many horrible, stupid thoughts and opinions.” This was the same “feminist” site that had previously described the prime-time host and former corporate litigator as a “Fox Newsbot.”
I don't see the issue here. She's calling out Kelly for having awful opinions and being a fox news moron, not because she's a woman. Being "feminist" doesn't mean opening jacking off any woman ever. Am I missing something?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
That is quality screed writing there. Attack the enemy from your weak point, conflate legit critiques with random articles from Allure, etc.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Right wingers think that the "race card" (or whatever marginalized group) is a magical item that minorities get to use to make their opponents shut up and auto-win arguments so they are shocked when it doesn't work that way for them.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
This is another example that shows that when the right is attacked for being sexist, racist, whatever, they aren't willing to understand why they were attacked to begin with, so they adopt a sort of cargo cult mentality about it and only look at the most superficial aspects of what caused them to be criticized. So for example if they call a woman a "shrill hysterical bitch" or whatever and they get criticized, they only see the surface "I criticized a woman!" aspect rather than the deeper criticism - that they were using words that attacked the woman for being a woman. So they think "wow criticizing a woman is seen as sexist!" and then try to flip it back showing they never learned what was really wrong with their original behavior to begin with. And so you see them crying racism over legitimate criticism of Ben Carson because they got called out for all the gross things they said about Obama that attacked him for being black.

quote:

she “sort of” loved her despite Kelly being “largely a horrible, terrible person with many horrible, stupid thoughts and opinions.”

This is the critique they're objecting to and yet it doesn't even contain language that attacks Kelly for being a woman. This all just shows a larger pattern of being immune to honest self-reflection because if they decide that they're being called out just for criticizing a woman, they can think "Well only an idiot would say nobody is allowed to criticize a woman anymore so I didn't do anything wrong!"

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

quote:

At Fox News there is a sharp distinction between commentators and opinion hosts and reporters

Uh

I mean I can tell they are separate and distinct human beings but thats about as far as I can take that one.

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

With the whole blind guy thing going on, I just feel exhausted. I'm tired of having to learn specifically how the laws work, how society works, and reading academic materials just so I can counter argue people who put no effort or thought into their opinions. It's maddening and I can't believe I have to do it 90% of the time.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Some people are saying that Obama is actually a silicon-based life form sent from Andromeda to destroy us. He has never denied this publicly. WHAT ARE YOU HIDING, OBAMA?

Last year, President Obama said he was 52 years old. Now he claims to be 53. Which is it, Obama? Better keep your story straight.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Samuel Clemens posted:

Last year, President Obama said he was 52 years old. Now he claims to be 53. Which is it, Obama? Better keep your story straight.

I love you for the reference.

Everyone should go watch Clone High: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93kkEMIXu5s

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Samuel Clemens posted:

They never should have canceled that show :smith:

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That is quality screed writing there. Attack the enemy from your weak point, conflate legit critiques with random articles from Allure, etc.

"Illiberal left" is the new hotness.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I hear trumpets every day at 5 o'clock. Never thought they signaled the end times...

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

site posted:

I hear trumpets every day at 5 o'clock. Never thought they signaled the end times...

Yeah, growing up we'd hear them at 5, which meant stop what you're doing and face the flag (or in that direction), and then at 11 which meant you'd better be home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

If this is what heaven's trumpets sound like, then God and the angels better be some Lovecraftian poo poo or I'm going to be seriously disappointed in their musical skills.