Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

it looks like the box'o'cultists doesnt have rad flamethrower man so i will not be buying a GW product

i might buy that cracked earth technical paint for basing :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Fwiw I really dig the cracked earth paint. If you want to give a few bucks to GW there are worse ways you could do it.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Springfield Fatts posted:

I saw Mad Max this weekend and I was jonesing to bust out my Speed Freek Orks but remembered then I would have to play Warhammer :smith:

What we really need is for someone competent to make a dedicated Mad Max (or Not!Mad Max) game. I guess Car Wars exists, but I've heard that's more fiddly and chartsy and less slamming around in tricked out doofwagons.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Furious Frank

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
and the inevitable sequel

2 Frank 2 Furious

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Moola posted:

2 Frank 2 Furious

Frank Blart: Mall Blart

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Frankhammer Frankythousand

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Leperflesh posted:

Re: Forging the Narrative. It always makes me think of what we did when we were kids. Like: we played "let's pretend," cowboys and indians, our GI Joes waged battles with our Star Wars guys and our lego guys and some Transformers.

Forging the Narrative is just a bullshit fancy way of saying Making Up a Story, and you don't need Games Workshop's help to do that.

You just reminded me of some great Forging my narrative I did when I was a kid. My friend and i would build forts out of blocks around the house and have the army men, vending machine plastic ninjas, Z-bots, and other groups have amazing imagination battles.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
So I wanna sell my Warhams stuff and it sounds like my father has unearthed the crate it is all in. Iirc I had like 2k points worth of Drak Angels, mostly mechanized infantry and tanks. It is mostly painted, poorly though. I bought this stuff around 3rd edition. What ballpark am I looking at for this stuff?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Probably not much sadly. They've updated a lot of the models since 3rd depending on which ones you had and also painting the models lowers the resale value unless you did a really great job. I would ask maybe 25% of retail unless the models you are selling are currently the ones on their page then 50%. At least that's how I'm used to the used market where I got most of my stuff.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

JerryLee posted:

No, they actually are like $10 for the box of 5. Which is pretty astonishing and I can only assume that GW only lets that through because no one actually wants them, as opposed to something like tac marines.

Most armies actually have a $10 box. Marines get three dudes with no options.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Moola posted:

Furious Frank

Miffed Mackenzie

Irritated Ivan

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Remember this is GW we're talking about. It would probably be "Mel Xamdam"

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Pissed Pete

Vexed Victor

Salty Steve

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Annoyed Alex

Raging Ralph

Peeved Perry

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
My friend recently told me to go see the new Dissatisfied Dan movie

Dissatisfied Dan: Furry Toad

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Radish posted:

Probably not much sadly. They've updated a lot of the models since 3rd depending on which ones you had and also painting the models lowers the resale value unless you did a really great job. I would ask maybe 25% of retail unless the models you are selling are currently the ones on their page then 50%. At least that's how I'm used to the used market where I got most of my stuff.

Well, even selling at 25% of msrp will buy me a fancy new fishing reel!

And maybe a tiny little spaceship

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

bunnielab posted:

Hang it from the reel while you make swoosh noises.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

bunnielab posted:

I would go through your stuff and look for any characters or special miniatures you might have - chances are you will be offloading your regular troops and vehicles at a steep discount, but sometimes you will turn up some old miniature that people really love for some reason and will pay for. I have some oldass Eldar where there are individual models that sell for $10-$15 on Ebay when they show up. That's for fairly distinctive stuff from 2nd, but if you have any character models it's worth looking before you just dump them for change.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Ashcans posted:

I would go through your stuff and look for any characters or special miniatures you might have - chances are you will be offloading your regular troops and vehicles at a steep discount, but sometimes you will turn up some old miniature that people really love for some reason and will pay for. I have some oldass Eldar where there are individual models that sell for $10-$15 on Ebay when they show up. That's for fairly distinctive stuff from 2nd, but if you have any character models it's worth looking before you just dump them for change.

That's a good point. Metal minis sometimes can be really rare and sought out like that female commissar so you should look through for anything that seems individual and doublecheck if they are worth more.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Jostled John
Rowdy Ryan
Perturbed Pete
Pissy Paul
Sassy Stan

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

FrostyPox posted:

Salty Steve

But hes actually not salty at all, he simply discovered salt in the world of 40k

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Ignite Memories posted:

Fwiw I really dig the cracked earth paint. If you want to give a few bucks to GW there are worse ways you could do it.

This has easily been my best buy from GW in the past decade.

The basing options are endless:

Cracked earth
Grassy land with cracked earth
Rusty metal coloured cracked earth
and my newest bases, icey tundra cracked earth.

Makes me wanna check out their other technical paints but I don't really need blood all over everything.

e: also looks pretty good with a bit of white or elf flesh drybrushing if you wanna have your guys dirty and covered in dried clay for some reason.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Imperator (titan) Furioso (no girl titans)

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

nopantsjack posted:

This has easily been my best buy from GW in the past decade.

The basing options are endless:
and my newest bases, icey tundra cracked earth.

Would you be willing to post a picture of said icy tundra bases?

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Sure, that's why I want someone competent to do a remake. FFG, for example.

Re: Forging the Narrative. It always makes me think of what we did when we were kids. Like: we played "let's pretend," cowboys and indians, our GI Joes waged battles with our Star Wars guys and our lego guys and some Transformers.

Forging the Narrative is just a bullshit fancy way of saying Making Up a Story, and you don't need Games Workshop's help to do that.

When I was a kid, maybe 9-10, my BFF and I had a regular "narrative" game we'd play: We'd get a HUGE sheet of paper (it was probably A2 size or something, but as a kid it seemed enormous). We'd draw a side-on landscape - big mountain on the left, another on the right, then some canyons and hills in the middle. Then we'd take it in turns to draw a tank or a plane or a building-with-big-gun or some soldiers. My army was drawn shooting across to his side of the page, his shooting across to mine. As each thing was drawn, we'd describe what it was doing to win the war. Each person would add their unit, draw some lines of bullets and explosions and 'blow up' something on the other side. By then end of the day, we'd have an awesome piece of 10-year-old-imagination war art that would put any GW battle scene to shame. Next week we'd start a new campaign on a new sheet, and do it all over again.

And all it cost was a pack of coloured pens and a piece of paper.

EDIT: vvv Basically a pen-and-paper version of this vvv

Pash posted:

You just reminded me of some great Forging my narrative I did when I was a kid. My friend and i would build forts out of blocks around the house and have the army men, vending machine plastic ninjas, Z-bots, and other groups have amazing imagination battles.

EDIT2: Oh I just remembered about the time my Dad came home from work with the best present ever for us: A huge roll of paper maybe 12-16" wide that was many, many metres long. After several weekends we ended up with a scene that covered beach landings, underwater shark battles, fleets of aircraft carriers, spaceships, so many tunnel networks, urban fighting, godzilla and giant robots, and pretty much every other boyhood battle fantasy.

Deanut Pancer fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 20, 2015

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

koreban posted:

Would you be willing to post a picture of said icy tundra bases?

Don't have my completed guys on hand but I was painting up these guys anyways:

It looks a deal lighter irl and really I just like this stuff a lot as an alternative to either sand or just a horrible plain base.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Moola posted:

2 Frank 2 Furious

hell yea

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Business Gorillas posted:

it looks like the box'o'cultists doesnt have rad flamethrower man so i will not be buying a GW product

i might buy that cracked earth technical paint for basing :cripes:

Hey, if you just want a flamethrower man plus maybe a few other random rear end cultists, I'd probably be willing to send you some for the cost of postage. :) I don't have PMs but let me know ITT if you're interested and I'll post my email address, or you could just give me yours.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

Deanut Pancer posted:

When I was a kid, maybe 9-10, my BFF and I had a regular "narrative" game we'd play: We'd get a HUGE sheet of paper (it was probably A2 size or something, but as a kid it seemed enormous). We'd draw a side-on landscape - big mountain on the left, another on the right, then some canyons and hills in the middle. Then we'd take it in turns to draw a tank or a plane or a building-with-big-gun or some soldiers. My army was drawn shooting across to his side of the page, his shooting across to mine. As each thing was drawn, we'd describe what it was doing to win the war. Each person would add their unit, draw some lines of bullets and explosions and 'blow up' something on the other side. By then end of the day, we'd have an awesome piece of 10-year-old-imagination war art that would put any GW battle scene to shame. Next week we'd start a new campaign on a new sheet, and do it all over again.

EDIT2: Oh I just remembered about the time my Dad came home from work with the best present ever for us: A huge roll of paper maybe 12-16" wide that was many, many metres long. After several weekends we ended up with a scene that covered beach landings, underwater shark battles, fleets of aircraft carriers, spaceships, so many tunnel networks, urban fighting, godzilla and giant robots, and pretty much every other boyhood battle fantasy.

I used to do this, but all by myself :unsmith:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Not a viking posted:

I used to do this, but all by myself :unsmith:

A school notebook without tanks and tie-fighters crawling all over the margins is not a proper school notebook.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

nopantsjack posted:

Makes me wanna check out their other technical paints but I don't really need blood all over everything.

Typhus Corrosion is a seriously great paint for anything that you want grimed up. I generally apply it liberally and wipe off any excess. It gives a really natural dirty look.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Deanut Pancer posted:

a friend and i used to do this in high school instead of working

then we started doing graphic design as an extracurricular activity and they let us use computers with photoshop and monitors that could be pushed together :getin:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
In an ironic twist, I talked someone in the Gundam model thread into buying Games Workshop products.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Esser-Z posted:

What we really need is for someone competent to make a dedicated Mad Max (or Not!Mad Max) game. I guess Car Wars exists, but I've heard that's more fiddly and chartsy and less slamming around in tricked out doofwagons.

It is - if you've ever played Battletech, you have a feel for how Car Wars handles record keeping. I really like the whole Car Wars aesthetic, but it's too much like filling in scantron sheets for me. Hopefully the upcoming edition will change some of that.

That being said, I was thinking about a way to do a Gorkamorka inspired racing game using Epic minis with elements scavenged from Car Wars.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

boom boom boom posted:

In an ironic twist, I talked someone in the Gundam model thread into buying Games Workshop products.

You monster

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

boom boom boom posted:

You dick head

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

NTRabbit posted:

You monster

Just some Citadel washes and technical paints. No actual models.

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.

berzerkmonkey posted:

It is - if you've ever played Battletech, you have a feel for how Car Wars handles record keeping. I really like the whole Car Wars aesthetic, but it's too much like filling in scantron sheets for me. Hopefully the upcoming edition will change some of that.

That being said, I was thinking about a way to do a Gorkamorka inspired racing game using Epic minis with elements scavenged from Car Wars.

In battletechs defense filling in bubbles and watching you armor peel off is pretty awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Doctor Borris posted:

filling in bubbles ... is pretty awesome

but enough about finecast

• Locked thread