Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
What's the point of the (Second act spoilers)Ciri flashback with the wolf king? It feels completely out of place. "I'm being chased by something! Oh nevermind, I ran into a kid and now I'm hunting a werewolf for no real reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

ymgve posted:

Not sure it matters in the long run, but at the very start of the game after the intro is finished and you fight some ghouls, use your witcher senses. There's a quest item hidden right alongside the road.

Where is that on the world map? I neglected to look and I can't tell from the scenery :(

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Are quest rewards leveled and am I screwing myself by doing them at lower levels?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Gilganixon posted:

How are you guys checking your FPS?

I use Fraps.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Gilganixon posted:

There's an option in the steam overlay for a fps counter now.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Gilganixon posted:

Steam overlay

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Gilganixon posted:

Shadow play has the option too

Darth Ballz
Apr 30, 2003
Feel the burn

gschmidl posted:

Where is that on the world map? I neglected to look and I can't tell from the scenery :(

SW portion of the map. I encountered the inventory hard lock bug last night, and i am playing on PS4. Also, thank you to whomever came up with the rechargable potions idea, my OCD weeps.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So any skills you guys consider to be essential? There's an absolute ton of the drat things but most of them just seem to be small percentage bonuses rather than anything dramatic.

WE DOIN IT NOW
Jun 18, 2005

Never compromise, not even in the face of Armageddon.
^^ I grabbed that vitality boosting skill in the second to last tree. A lot of the stuff there seems like no brainers.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea and I love when you first meet the hunter.

"I'm a freak" "OH ARE YOU A WEREWOLF I CAN HANDLE WEREWOLVES IT'S ACTUALLY A PRETTY EASY CURSE..." "Dude I'm gay..."

This was seriously hilarious to me. God drat Geralt, not every problem is related to monsters.

Finished up White Orchard last night before bed. Now stick at work for 6 more hours. Game is good.

WE DOIN IT NOW fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 19, 2015

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Verranicus posted:

Holy poo poo dude they're really not that big a deal.

You'd think they wouldn't be a big deal to turn off either?

I think I"m actually going to put the game on the shelf for a little while to see if they add in the option or if someone can mod them out. You can turn off every other part of the HUD and the whole screen will be taken up by these gorgeous graphics as you slice up monsters and blood spatters.

Except for right where you're looking. Where you will see

Good thing they locked that on, I might have been looking at the game world.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Can you hide the text that appears in the lower left corner that announces that the game has switched to keyboard or controller?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Just had a freeze trying to slot a gem into an item. Considering this and the freezing when reading notes, something's definitely hosed up with the inventory code.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Angryhead posted:

Can you hide the text that appears in the lower left corner that announces that the game has switched to keyboard or controller?

Yeah. Seems like a light fart activates keyboard and mouse controlls. The switch is seamless at least.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Game controls like dogshit but it's fun so far. Combat is a bit bleh, do you really never get anything other than 2 swords? Lame.

looks good on PS4 tho

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

:neckbeard: :woop: :downsbravo: :slick:
Ugh the loving combat. :psypop:

I'm playing on Get Good difficulty (Death March) and I was all like 'yeah I got this poo poo' in the tutorial and then the initial ghoul fight opened my eyes. After dying 8 or so times and finally winning probably by sheer luck, I almost tuned it down. But no...I'm gonna get good. :black101:

This poo poo makes Dark Souls look easy.

Is there anywhere in the initial area where I can hone my skills or do I just need to ride around in hopes of finding small groups of enemies to fight?

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

I think I"m actually going to put the game on the shelf for a little while to see if they add in the option or if someone can mod them out. You can turn off every other part of the HUD and the whole screen will be taken up by these gorgeous graphics as you slice up monsters and blood spatters.

You should def shelve the game until you get your Anafranil script filled.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

poptart_fairy posted:

So any skills you guys consider to be essential? There's an absolute ton of the drat things but most of them just seem to be small percentage bonuses rather than anything dramatic.

I'm wondering too, since choices are permanent and there's so many (and you can only use a few at a time). The vitality one seems like a no brainer, like you said, and I also picked up sun and stars just so I could have automatic health regen without using items, but it's so slow that I'm honestly already regretting that choice. Better to just meditate for an hour or something if you're that worried about it and too broke for food.

I'm probably just going to be boring and pick up the damage upgrades in the swordsman tree but I too am curious if there are any "essential" upgrades in the others that I'm just not seeing the significance of.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...

Abu Dave posted:

Game controls like dogshit but it's fun so far. Combat is a bit bleh, do you really never get anything other than 2 swords? Lame.

looks good on PS4 tho

did you just blindly buy this without reading anything about the previous games?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I thought there were gonna be respec potions.

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm wondering too, since choices are permanent and there's so many (and you can only use a few at a time). The vitality one seems like a no brainer, like you said, and I also picked up sun and stars just so I could have automatic health regen without using items, but it's so slow that I'm honestly already regretting that choice. Better to just meditate for an hour or something if you're that worried about it and too broke for food.

I'm probably just going to be boring and pick up the damage upgrades in the swordsman tree but I too am curious if there are any "essential" upgrades in the others that I'm just not seeing the significance of.

I picked the One where he automatically blocks arrows if you are in the parry position

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I bit the bullet and invested entirely in the "do more damage" tree for the fast attack. I also use the "better mind control" one for conversation stuff because this is an RPG and you always, always, always take the more conversation options skills

also took the block arrows one, it's useful

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

Who Dat posted:

Ugh the loving combat. :psypop:

I'm playing on Get Good difficulty (Death March) and I was all like 'yeah I got this poo poo' in the tutorial and then the initial ghoul fight opened my eyes. After dying 8 or so times and finally winning probably by sheer luck, I almost tuned it down. But no...I'm gonna get good. :black101:

This poo poo makes Dark Souls look easy.

Given how the game is progressing, I'm reasonably sure that will probably be one of the hardest fights in the game.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

ymgve posted:

Just had a freeze trying to slot a gem into an item. Considering this and the freezing when reading notes, something's definitely hosed up with the inventory code.

No idea if this will help, was on the official forums

"6. Fix poor framerate and crashes with NVIDIA GPUs by disabling the NVIDIA Streamer Service

If you are using an NVIDIA GPU, then you are also likely using NVIDIA GeForce Experience. While the latter can be very useful for determining what settings your rig should lean towards, it also introduces a new service, called "NVIDIA Streamer Service", that is only used for streaming your games to SHIELD devices and is actually causing framerate issues in many recent games, including Grand Theft Auto V and The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.

To turn this unnecessary service completely off and regain your lost framerate, as well as prevent any associated crashes, click on the Start Button on the Windows taskbar, search for "Services" and then right-click on its icon and select "Run as administrator".

After that, scroll down through the "Services (Local)" list, find and right-click on "NVIDIA Streamer Service", then select "Properties". First click on "Stop" to turn the service off and then select "Startup type: Disabled" from the drop-down menu.

Congratulations, you have now unbloated your GPU drivers and all of your games should now perform better!"

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

looking around online, you can respec if you buy something called a potion of clearance, so I'm not too worried about choosing the wrong skills.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Gilganixon posted:

MSI Afterburner does this as well.

Turns out my 2500k had been set to normal profile instead of performance on my motherboard and wasn't overclocking. Enabling the right profile seems to have fixed a lot of my FPS issues. I'm getting a constant 50FPS now with dips above 30 which is more than ok for me. When it'd drop to the 20s was pissing me off so whatever :toot:

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Arglebargle III posted:

I barely even notice it. You're making a big deal out of nothing.

Unrelated, but how are you guys playing your Geralt? Sticking to the political neutral/money comes first sort of canon, or making him your own?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Abu Dave posted:

looks good on PS4 tho

You get magic spells, throwable explosives, upgradeable swords, and a crossbow.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Lord Lambeth posted:

looking around online, you can respec if you buy something called a potion of clearance, so I'm not too worried about choosing the wrong skills.

Oh, I didn't know that; I was going off the OP which said they were permanent.

Googling turned up a gamefaqs thread which seemed to indicate that using the potion won't allow you to restore points gained through visiting places of power, so I guess you'd have to go back and visit them again if you don't want to lose those points? That seems...clunky. Then again, it's a gamefaqs forums post so who knows.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^
Man this game is cool. So many little details.

If you're playing on KB+Mouse I dunno if this was in tutorials or not but there is a key to toggle walk mode for Geralt - left ctrl. Really helps a lot to just have him walking in towns and such.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Got my first crash on PS4. I was passing on my winning round of Gwent against the guy in the emperor's garden. :negative:

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Apparition posted:

did you just blindly buy this without reading anything about the previous games?

yea

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Gwent seems a bit weird to me, like a lot of cards seem flat out better than others. Why would you ever use any card with a value of 1 or 2 and no special abilities?

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.
Game owns but I hope an FoV slider is added, if only for witcher sense. gently caress, that turns my stomach.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Verranicus posted:

I barely even notice it. You're making a big deal out of nothing.

Unrelated, but how are you guys playing your Geralt? Sticking to the political neutral/money comes first sort of canon, or making him your own?

I'm only a little bit in, and I'm trying to be an "all about the money" mercenary but it's hard! I feel so bad for these peasants, I just want to let them keep their money.

I also have no idea if money will actually be useful in this game. I'm still in white orchard and am broke as hell, but I also don't feel too tempted to buy anything yet, I don't know if either side of that formula will change drastically as the game goes on.

Broken Cog posted:

Gwent seems a bit weird to me, like a lot of cards seem flat out better than others. Why would you ever use any card with a value of 1 or 2 and no special abilities?

Yeah I'm not in love with Gwent. I don't like that it's a deck building game, where your success depends on how good the cards you brought into the game are, I preferred dice poker, which was a level playing field every time. A shame that dice are out and almost definitely not coming back.

It's ok though, it's not like there's a lack of other stuff to do in this game.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

Field cards can set the everything placed on a row at one strength, bonuses notwithstanding. The point is to not waste all your good stuff right out the gate.

I don't think I'll be doing any Gwent myself though.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Manatee Cannon posted:

Field cards can set the everything placed on a row at one strength, bonuses notwithstanding. The point is to not waste all your good stuff right out the gate.

I don't think I'll be doing any Gwent myself though.

I was more thinking of when you're building a deck. I think I've understood the general strategies of it so far, but it doesn't seem like a very deep game.
I liked the poker in 2, but I can appreciate that they tried to change things up a bit.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm not surprised other people don't care about damage numbers (and I'm not saying you should) but it's pretty rich to have people posting about how to choose the best lighting option, whether to have tiny differences in hair, shadow, foliage quality etc. and then turn around and say "I don't understand how this could bother you" when there are little floating numbers on the screen. If there were little floating numbers in shadows or textures people would be flipping their poo poo.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm only a little bit in, and I'm trying to be an "all about the money" mercenary but it's hard! I feel so bad for these peasants, I just want to let them keep their money.

I also have no idea if money will actually be useful in this game. I'm still in white orchard and am broke as hell, but I also don't feel too tempted to buy anything yet, I don't know if either side of that formula will change drastically as the game goes on.

I am sure it will be useful, but if it was anything like Witcher 2 your primary goldsinks will be diagrams and odd crafting components. If you can hold off on that you can just stick to alcohol and food

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nv9w5NKyCg

I'm having fun