Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
As a Triple Triad addict I know Gwent will be filling that hole.

Also sorry if it's been answered but I haven't seen it if it has, we can go back to White Orchard right? This place is so full of stuff to do but I'd like to get that griffon taken care of and advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
Just started. The first town has a poster stating that their herbalist is buying honeycomb. I cannot find this herbalist anywhere.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I've been avoiding gwent because I heard it was crashy? Is it like Pazaak in the Kotor games?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Tykero posted:

Just started. The first town has a poster stating that their herbalist is buying honeycomb. I cannot find this herbalist anywhere.

You'll run into her eventually. She lives a bit west of town, in a lone hut.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm not surprised other people don't care about damage numbers (and I'm not saying you should) but it's pretty rich to have people posting about how to choose the best lighting option, whether to have tiny differences in hair, shadow, foliage quality etc. and then turn around and say "I don't understand how this could bother you" when there are little floating numbers on the screen. If there were little floating numbers in shadows or textures people would be flipping their poo poo.

Graphical stuff like that doesn't bother me at all and I'm happy as long as the game is pleasing to the eyes, and I still think you're wierd for caring so much about tiny numbers that vanish in literally one second.

EDIT: Does it look like we'll be able to completely ignore alchemy/crafting in this like we could in 1 and 2? Not to say I won't try because the system is definitely less terrible now, but I'd like to know if I can just say gently caress it if I get annoyed.

Solartide
Oct 3, 2013

by XyloJW

Broken Cog posted:

Gwent seems a bit weird to me, like a lot of cards seem flat out better than others. Why would you ever use any card with a value of 1 or 2 and no special abilities?

I want to believe there is a gimmick deck to use these cards.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
How do you break down junk for crafting?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Carecat posted:

Talk to a blacksmith, he'll break stuff down for you for a small fee.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Verranicus posted:

Graphical stuff like that doesn't bother me at all and I'm happy as long as the game is pleasing to the eyes, and I still think you're wierd for caring so much about tiny numbers that vanish in literally one second.

EDIT: Does it look like we'll be able to completely ignore alchemy/crafting in this like we could in 1 and 2? Not to say I won't try because the system is definitely less terrible now, but I'd like to know if I can just say gently caress it if I get annoyed.

You can probably ignore alchemy on the lower difficulties but if it's anything like the other games alchemy really helps/is necessary on the higher difficulties.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Carecat posted:

Dismantle option at a blacksmith

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

I found the Ursine armor set recipe in a cave but it's not actually in my crafting menu. Can I not even see how to craft it until I find someone who can or did the game break?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I am sure it will be useful, but if it was anything like Witcher 2 your primary goldsinks will be diagrams and odd crafting components. If you can hold off on that you can just stick to alcohol and food

I'm a filthy casual that plans to play on easy (unless it's so mindlessly easy that I get bored, but so far that does not seem to be the case) so I'm probably going to skip out on most of the crafting stuff if I can, since I generally don't enjoy crafting in single player games (feels like busywork).

I guess I'll save my money to buy booze and overpriced equipment from merchants and see how far that gets me.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I had to turn off the motion blur and the blur. It was just too much for me. Speaking of which, what's the difference between blur and motion blur.

Solartide
Oct 3, 2013

by XyloJW

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm a filthy casual that plans to play on easy (unless it's so mindlessly easy that I get bored, but so far that does not seem to be the case) so I'm probably going to skip out on most of the crafting stuff if I can, since I generally don't enjoy crafting in single player games (feels like busywork).

I guess I'll save my money to buy booze and overpriced equipment from merchants and see how far that gets me.

The first armor craft, witcher robe or whatever, that's a fairly easy recipe to do, I think all the materials are available for cheap at the dwarf smith. And it doubles your armor.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Is there something I'm missing, or is the combat really loving hard?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Use signs and dodge? Seeks pretty easy to me on the death march difficulty.

Solartide
Oct 3, 2013

by XyloJW

Keket posted:

For humans, interrupt their attacks and riposte, if they got heavy weapons/it'sabear, dodge roll and heavy strikes. 1 on 1, like against the noon wraith, I used quen while kiting it to recharge if I got hit. Large groups, kite them and take them on 1v1.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Also, going back 20 pages: Sup, jump-off-the-balcony-first-thing-you-do-bro? poo poo was hilarious.

It was everything I hoped for and more.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Yeah i am, its that 3 man sword fight in the tavern, i've got it on story and swords, dodge and block and just end up getting murdered every time.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The only thing I think is silly in combat is how enemies will suddenly stop reacting to your attacks in several combos, hitting you for pretty significant damage.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

You craft a potion once, you get a potion item with a certain # of charges (I think the charges are affected by your skills). When you meditate, any potions refill their charges if you have alcohol in your inventory, one per potion that needs to be refilled. You still need ingredients later because most potions have multiple upgrades that require the base potion as an ingredient, but you don't need to hoard flowers obsessively. This system is a little weird feeling at first, but it's effectively cured me of my open-world OCD.

EDIT: Herbs also respawn *really* fast so there's no reason to pick every flower.

Dwarffucker! I've made so many Cat-potions, by destroying the old spent ones and cooking new. I just blamed the new game bugs that left spent items in your inventory.

I must have skipped that particular tutorial.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
Is anyone else having issues with Shadowplay and the FPS counter not working in this game?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm hoping the second tier of sign upgrades are better, right now it seems that going signs tree might have been a mistake :ohdear:.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Keket posted:

Yeah i am, its that 3 man sword fight in the tavern, i've got it on story and swords, dodge and block and just end up getting murdered every time.

Abuse Quen?

adhuin posted:

Dwarffucker! I've made so many Cat-potions, by destroying the old spent ones and cooking new. I just blamed the new game bugs that left spent items in your inventory.

I don't recall that bit being mentioned.

Jizz into Darkness
Oct 28, 2010

So does all food regenerate the same amount of vitality total? The only difference that's listed is the duration, so are all food items with a 5s duration equally good?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Keket posted:

It takes some getting used to. Try and remember that you can parry and riposte; not taking damage helps a lot when your healing items kinda suck.

Solartide
Oct 3, 2013

by XyloJW

Keket posted:

On PC? Right click when you see their name glows red. Then punch.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

adhuin posted:

Reminds me of TW1 where you can make White Goose using White Goose as a base so you can get into and endless cycle as long as you have the ingredients.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Keket posted:

I just spammed left click during that fight and got an achievement for killing 5 people in less than 10 seconds, and one for killing 5 people without taking damage.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

UraniumFuelElement posted:

So does all food regenerate the same amount of vitality total? The only difference that's listed is the duration, so are all food items with a 5s duration equally good?

Yeah, the way I understand it is food heals at a set rate, the only difference is how long that rate goes for.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Managed to beat it, think i just suck at the combat system, no room to move around vs 3 guys isnt that great D: Thanks for the tips (gunna abuse the gently caress out of Quen.)

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Keket posted:

It was really hard and miserable until I got about 2 talent points now I can kill anything pretty easily.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Important to note that rolling away will use up a bunch of stamina but just dodging won't use up any. You can dodge all you want and still use signs, not the other way around.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
I just started and I have the graphics set as high as I can (for a 270) and the grass and leaves are super low-quality. I have texture and grass density set to the highest level and it still looks like I'm wandering around a watercolor painting. Is there a setting that I'm missing?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Abu Dave posted:

It was really hard and miserable until I got about 2 talent points now I can kill anything pretty easily.

Oh RPG difficulty curves. :allears:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Arglebargle III posted:

Oh RPG difficulty curves. :allears:

Hey, at least it shares problems from W2 - that early skills don't make him a better swordsman, they just stop him being a lovely one. :v:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I found a bear south of the first town at level 1. That was a hectic 5 minute fight.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Mr E posted:

I'm hoping the second tier of sign upgrades are better, right now it seems that going signs tree might have been a mistake :ohdear:.

After the Ignicalypse of the first game they seem hellbent on ensuring Geralt not becoming a sorcerer.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Enjoying my time with the game so far. Didn't realize how involved some of the hunts were such as the water well mission. Haven't noticed any bad bugs so far and runs decently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

sauer kraut posted:

After the Ignicalypse of the first game they seem hellbent on ensuring Geralt not becoming a sorcerer.

I'm probably still going to keep using it on cooldown though, just because it looks really pretty.

Crappy Jack posted:

Yeah, the way I understand it is food heals at a set rate, the only difference is how long that rate goes for.

I guess you just want to stock up on foods with the highest duration then. Drinks tend to have longer durations but lower heal rates; I haven't sat down with a stopwatch and a calculator to determine if they're more or less efficient than foods but I'm a busy man with places to be so I'm betting on food.