Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Are there any podcasts about hard biology/sciences?

I don't want a podcast that dumbs it down and looks at the ethical implications etc.

I mean a podcast that reviews published papers given their presented results and debates them etc. Ideally the type of show that would have covered the STAP cells of yesteryear and yet also commented on the bad reviewer comments about women from recently (last month?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Any good podcasts on developing mindfulness? I tried Buddha Geeks, and it didn't really fit. A pocketcast search brought up too many to pick from. Any suggestions?

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Mr Hootington posted:

The true crime has it's hooks in me.

Serial is interesting, but flawed.

Criminal is short and is only monthly, but is amazing every time.

Sword and Scale™ is very good and long. It bothers me when they label people with legitimate mental problems as evil.

Anything else floating around out there?

Sword and Scale is probably the podcast I'm most divided on but somehow keep listening to. The obsession with "evil" and "monsters" is obnoxious, but he uses a lot of original case audio which can be fascinating.

I've not had the chance to listen to it yet so I can't recommend it, but I have a couple of episodes of Thinking Sideways in my queue. It features 3 hosts talking about mysteries that are often true crime related (going by the episode list anyway). Maybe someone has tried it and can elaborate.

Here Be Monsters is sometimes a little true-crimey, but not quite as explicitly as the others listed. It's more of a 'dark side of human nature' kind of thing.

It's tough to find a well produced true crime podcast, I find. Most of them seem to be passion projects by true crime die hards that are a little bit too enthusiastic about serial killers.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

ChetReckless posted:

Sword and Scale is probably the podcast I'm most divided on but somehow keep listening to. The obsession with "evil" and "monsters" is obnoxious, but he uses a lot of original case audio which can be fascinating.

I've not had the chance to listen to it yet so I can't recommend it, but I have a couple of episodes of Thinking Sideways in my queue. It features 3 hosts talking about mysteries that are often true crime related (going by the episode list anyway). Maybe someone has tried it and can elaborate.

Here Be Monsters is sometimes a little true-crimey, but not quite as explicitly as the others listed. It's more of a 'dark side of human nature' kind of thing.

It's tough to find a well produced true crime podcast, I find. Most of them seem to be passion projects by true crime die hards that are a little bit too enthusiastic about serial killers.

Those are my exact feelings on sword and scale. It also helps that he gets guests who are really interesting. The host is kind of a twat. I almost groan every time he gives a monologue because I expect lots of buzzwords thrown around. I think someone said something to him though because in some of the episodes around thirty he starts mention that a lot of this can be attributed to our abysmal mental healthcare system, but he throws in an "evil" and "monster" for good measure still.

I also found true murder and will give that a shot.

I will try the other two after I finish sword and scale. Thanks for the suggestions.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

ChetReckless posted:

I'm kind of divided on it too, but I come down on the side of liking it a lot. If people are interested in Sword and Scale, I just want to mention that the original audio can be really, really intense. Like, he gets the 911 calls of of people who have a) just killed their parents b) just watched a dude get decapitated and eaten c) just had a baby cut out of their belly and are possibly bleeding out.

There's always one kind of eye-rolling moment per episode where the host opines, but I kind of like him forming an opinion on the case, because it gets pretty interesting reactions out of the guests he has on.

Also, I think this was mentioned, but he had a long episode where he interviewed the guy who made the film 'Are All Men Pedophiles?' and just lets the guy talk himself into sounding like an idiot.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

bollig posted:

I'm kind of divided on it too, but I come down on the side of liking it a lot. If people are interested in Sword and Scale, I just want to mention that the original audio can be really, really intense. Like, he gets the 911 calls of of people who have a) just killed their parents b) just watched a dude get decapitated and eaten c) just had a baby cut out of their belly and are possibly bleeding out.

There's always one kind of eye-rolling moment per episode where the host opines, but I kind of like him forming an opinion on the case, because it gets pretty interesting reactions out of the guests he has on.

Also, I think this was mentioned, but he had a long episode where he interviewed the guy who made the film 'Are All Men Pedophiles?' and just lets the guy talk himself into sounding like an idiot.

The compromise I've come to is to just skip episodes that I suspect will indulge the hosts more terrible opinions (in my view, of course). I've just come to near the end of 'season one'. When the very first sentences in your episode description are "There are 2.2 million schizophrenics in the United States. You have a one in a hundred chance of encountering one on any given day, and when you do hopefully that isn't the day when the voices in their head are telling them to kill you." that doesn't strike me as a worthy use of my time.

It's an interesting, well produced, (usually) well researched podcast. I just don't agree with the host's outlook generally speaking and especially his preoccupation with evil monsters.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea it's a good podcast but I just skip most any one about the severely mentally ill because he's just gonna fart into his own mouth for a bit about how ANY ONE OF THEM IS A TICKING TIME BOMB AND YOU NEVER KNOW WHO IS ONE OF THEM OH MY GOD THEY MAY BE RIGHT BEHIND YOU RIGHT NOW.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Since no one was able to help me with my question, I decided to just listen to a few of them and see what fit.

If anyone is interested in Mindfulness, Practical Self-Improvement, and Life's Big Questions, I've really enjoyed the following:

I Simply Am
On Being
Bulletproof Radio
Mindset Zone
The Partially Examined Life
Present Moment
Mindfulness At Work
(guided meditations in the work place)

I Simply Am was exactly what I was looking for, and I'm trying not to blow through the back catalog.

Hopefully some of you will give one of them a shot and see if it works for you.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Ernie. posted:

I don't want a podcast that dumbs it down and looks at the ethical implications etc.

I mean a podcast that reviews published papers given their presented results and debates them etc. Ideally the type of show that would have covered the STAP cells of yesteryear and yet also commented on the bad reviewer comments about women from recently (last month?).

I don't know about that, but Omega Tau is the only one that comes to mind.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Ernie. posted:

Check out the podcast put out by the journal Science. Interesting topics and news roundup. Someone here recommended it a few months ago when I said how bad NPR Science Friday had gotten.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

I don't know about that, but Omega Tau is the only one that comes to mind.

Thanks I'll give it a shot tomorrow during my commute!

Zeta Taskforce posted:

Check out the podcast put out by the journal Science. Interesting topics and news roundup. Someone here recommended it a few months ago when I said how bad NPR Science Friday had gotten.

Haha :shobon: I'm a recent 'never again listening to NPR Science' convert so I'll try Science's offering!

mdh1975
Sep 4, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

Since no one was able to help me with my question, I decided to just listen to a few of them and see what fit.

If anyone is interested in Mindfulness, Practical Self-Improvement, and Life's Big Questions, I've really enjoyed the following:

I Simply Am
On Being
Bulletproof Radio
Mindset Zone
The Partially Examined Life
Present Moment
Mindfulness At Work
(guided meditations in the work place)

I Simply Am was exactly what I was looking for, and I'm trying not to blow through the back catalog.

Hopefully some of you will give one of them a shot and see if it works for you.

Thank you for these. I am looking for something similar and hope to find it in this list.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Are there any good investigative or longform journalism podcasts? Like Frontline, or the good episodes of This American Life without time filler about what wacky thing a producer's nephew just did?

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

boom boom boom posted:

Are there any good investigative or longform journalism podcasts? Like Frontline, or the good episodes of This American Life without time filler about what wacky thing a producer's nephew just did?

Reveal (iTunes) sounds pretty close to what you're talking about.

BBC's The Inquiry (feed) is a close look at a particular question or issue in the news. It's not investigative journalism so much as it is interviews with people from different perspectives of an issue, but I like it.

I'm going to assume that you already know about Serial.

edit - If you want to get meta about it, On the Media is journalism about journalism/media. It's not very longform or super in-depth, but I think it scratches a similar itch. Also I like it a lot so I'll plug it when I can.

ChetReckless fucked around with this message at 20:08 on May 21, 2015

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

boom boom boom posted:

This is pretty rare to find in any format because its just really loving expensive to do. But there are some really good news and current affairs podcasts that you might like. Off the top of my head: propublica, reveal, documentary, analysis, on the media, the agenda, the economist editor's picks, If you have an audible account you can get a one year new yorker subscription for 4 credits, works out to like a dollar per issue, and usually includes one or two feature length stories.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
A page back somebody was asking about a conspiracy/paranormal podcast that walks the line between skepticism and true believing. I just wanted to mention a podcast called Unbelievable podcast. It mostly focuses on various conspiracy theories (aliens, reptilians, Illuminati). It's done by comedians and it strikes a good balance between giving interesting info and history about the topic and being pretty funny. I think the hosts are somewhat playing characters of being tin foil hat wearing theorists, but also poke fun and criticize some of the more outlandish ideas They recently did an episode where they went undercover in a crystal shop to find crystals that would ward of reptilians, the recording of their conversation with the shopkeeper is absolutely priceless.

http://www.unbelievablepodcast.com

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
http://theblacktapespodcast.com/

Really cool paranormal investigation podcast done in a very similar style to Serial. The first 2 episodes are out with the third coming tomorrow.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

That was me! Glad I'm still looking at this thread :) I'll give 'em both a try, thanks!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Lore is a fun quick supernatural podcast. It presents a story, and then looks at the possibilities of the phenomenon being real, and then looks into the origins of the legends. I like it a lot.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Lore can be a little clumsy sometimes, though I don't know if that's the writing or the delivery. I agree with the above, though, its absolutely worth listening to. I appreciate a podcast that can tell an interesting, compelling story in 20 minutes.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

ChetReckless posted:

Lore can be a little clumsy sometimes, though I don't know if that's the writing or the delivery. I agree with the above, though, its absolutely worth listening to. I appreciate a podcast that can tell an interesting, compelling story in 20 minutes.

There are a few things that bother me about this podcast. His attempts at off-color humor are usually pretty bad, like 90s sitcom-esque "jokes". He pronounces Reyjkjavik as "rake-jevick", so that's a little embarrassing. Most of all, it's easy to tell that he created the podcast as a marketing project in order to drum up interest for his novels that he mentions every episode. By episode 7 he's already started a kickstarter drive for his novels.

Still, the production values are good and the stories are interesting. I still like it!

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

AllisonByProxy posted:

Really cool paranormal investigation podcast done in a very similar style to Serial. The first 2 episodes are out with the third coming tomorrow.

I've only listened to the first episode but I really like this one so far.

Edit: Nope, not feeling the second episode at all. Never mind.

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jun 4, 2015

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

A page back somebody was asking about a conspiracy/paranormal podcast that walks the line between skepticism and true believing. I just wanted to mention a podcast called Unbelievable podcast. It mostly focuses on various conspiracy theories (aliens, reptilians, Illuminati). It's done by comedians and it strikes a good balance between giving interesting info and history about the topic and being pretty funny. I think the hosts are somewhat playing characters of being tin foil hat wearing theorists, but also poke fun and criticize some of the more outlandish ideas They recently did an episode where they went undercover in a crystal shop to find crystals that would ward of reptilians, the recording of their conversation with the shopkeeper is absolutely priceless.

http://www.unbelievablepodcast.com

I gave this podcast a try. They do give interesting information and lore surrounding some of the topics, but the hosts are not funny. They feel like a bunch of try hard militant atheists who think they are funny. The only time there is someone playing a run foil character is when they have a third person who "believes" that is the straw man incarnate that they beat up on. Plus they all sound like Fran Drescher.

AllisonByProxy posted:

This was a decent podcast. It is a docudrama which means radio theater. The setup is Serial, but with paranormal spookiness. The voice acting can be a bit rough, but the story and some of the mystery is good.

I also gave Lore a try and that is a good little story podcast. It tries to be Serial with the way it begins in a way.

I also want to plug that the podcast Our Fair City. It is a radio drama podcast about a post-apocalypse society. I don't want to get into it too much because having "AH HA!" moments are cool. The first season is a little shaky, but it takes of in season 2 and is a blast. The only downside is I think it is a monthly update.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 5, 2015

Contrecoup
Mar 30, 2015
I've really enjoyed Rude Alchemy lately. They're an olde timey radio show styled podcast for serials set somewhere between the 1870s and WW1. They only have two full stories out plus a number of supplementals but it's all pretty fun. It's definitely run by a creative team that loves what they do.

http://rudealchemy.com/

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I've been really liking Mystery Show on Gimlet Media. The host, Starlee Kine, solves small mysteries people bring to her that can't be solved using the internet. In the latest one she tries to track down the original owner of a very distinctive belt buckle that her friend found in the street when he was a kid. Stuff like that.

The mysteries themselves aren't all that interesting but the show is well put together and the host is likable enough to carry it.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Human Tornada posted:

I've been really liking Mystery Show on Gimlet Media. The host, Starlee Kine, solves small mysteries people bring to her that can't be solved using the internet. In the latest one she tries to track down the original owner of a very distinctive belt buckle that her friend found in the street when he was a kid. Stuff like that.

The mysteries themselves aren't all that interesting but the show is well put together and the host is likable enough to carry it.

This is an adorable show in the style of This American Life, but much much lighter in tone. Very pleasant to listen to!

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:
I'm getting to the point where I no longer enjoy listening to The Skeptics Guide to the Universe. I think Rebecca was the only thing that kept me on them because she was occasionally funny. Anyone know of a good general science/skepticism/rational thinking podcast that might be enjoyable to listen to?

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

A few random recommendations of things I've come across recently:

Science Vs. (iTunes): A new weekly podcast that looks at how science approaches a particular fad or idea, including (so far) race, paleo diets, and gender brain differences. Each episode is short (~15 mins) and well produced.

Meanwhile in the Future (iTunes): New weekly podcast from Gizmodo in which each episode looks at a possible future scenario -- i.e. antibiotic resistance, proliferation of artificial wombs, what if we had a second moon, etc.. Each episode starts with a brief (usually not great) fictionalization of the idea (i.e. a news broadcast) but moves quickly onto interviews with experts. Episodes tend to be ~15-20 minutes.

Explain Things to Me (iTunes): Weekly podcast where the two hosts interview someone about their profession. Previous episodes include interviews with a filmmaker, TV news producer, a card counter, make-up artist, politics professor, futurist, chef, and others. The guests are actually in studio with the hosts which makes for good sound quality and good rapport all around. Episodes are usually about 40-45 minutes.

drat Interesting (iTunes): Essentially just narrated versions of the articles from DamnInteresting.com, in a good way. The stories are usually either history or science (or both) and are almost invariably a.) new to me, and b.) super interesting. The presenter is an experienced audiobook/podcast voice actor. The podcast doesn't update very regularly but there are more than 20 episodes in the back catalog. Episodes are anywhere from 10-45 minutes.

The Adaptors (iTunes): Biweekly podcast about the people who are thinking about ways to adapt to climate change. Not preachy about climate change, and not scared of going to some weird places and ideas. Episodes are short (~10-15 mins) and occasionally are video podcasts.

Also I checked out Rude Alchemy on Contrecoup's suggestion and it's goofy and fun in a way I'm into. Thanks for the recommendation.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Going to give Sword and Scale a try in a moment after binging through Serial (which was incredibly compelling). I read some recommendations in the thread for Thinking Sideways wrt true crime stuff but some of the topics seem to be a bit.. tinfoily? I mean just going by the topics it seems like a lot of it is about conspiracies and stuff like that and I'm more interested in factual takes on subjects instead of conspiracy theories and reptilians or other nonsense.

On that note, is The Last Podcast on the Left like that too? They have a lot of interesting crime-related topics but also stuff about ghosts and bigfoot, aliens and a hollow moon, so.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Stare-Out posted:

Going to give Sword and Scale a try in a moment after binging through Serial (which was incredibly compelling). I read some recommendations in the thread for Thinking Sideways wrt true crime stuff but some of the topics seem to be a bit.. tinfoily? I mean just going by the topics it seems like a lot of it is about conspiracies and stuff like that and I'm more interested in factual takes on subjects instead of conspiracy theories and reptilians or other nonsense.

On that note, is The Last Podcast on the Left like that too? They have a lot of interesting crime-related topics but also stuff about ghosts and bigfoot, aliens and a hollow moon, so.

Here Be Monsters was suggested, but I have yet to try it.

Criminal is a really good true crime podcast too.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I got through a couple of episodes of Criminal and it's really interesting and well done, if painfully brief, but most of it feels kind of like it's still on its way to what it could be and struggled a bit so maybe it'll get even more comprehensive as time goes on. Definitely sticking with it.

Sword and Scale on the other hand was tougher primarily because of the presentation, the whole "schizophrenics are murderers!" thing aside the retelling of whatever events they were describing felt weirdly gratuitous and hokey with the narrator going on about it and gushing and being unnecessarily overelaborative and dramatic. It felt more like a crappy audiobook with corny sound effects than presenting true events.

Thinking Sideways was more about a bunch of people being presented with a "mysterious" topic and just discussing it loosely so again, not all that interesting from an analytical and comprehensive standpoint.

Gonna keep Here Be Monsters in mind, thanks for that.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:
Are there any podcasts about good movies?

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

Eeevil posted:

http://www.thefilmvaultpod.com/

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Eeevil posted:

Lens me your ears. That url is right to the rss feed, the website it's on isn't the greatest.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Stare-Out posted:

Last Podcast on the Left is about 50/50 between true crime and paranormal. If they are tackling true crime it will definitely be the more horrific side like serial killers and spree killers. Right now they are doing Columbine. Just keep in mind the tone of their show is jokey and silly, but they are pretty funny. The downside of the humor focus is sometimes their research and factual accuracy can be a bit questionable.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I'm looking for casual philosophical discussions similar to The Partially Examined Life and/or analysis of pop culture similar to Zizek's Pervert's Guides.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

try it with a lime posted:

I'm looking for casual philosophical discussions similar to The Partially Examined Life and/or analysis of pop culture similar to Zizek's Pervert's Guides.

You could try Very Bad Wizards. It's hosted by a philosophy prof and a psychology prof and they chat about philosophy, focused usually on morality and meaning. The discussion is casual in tone but they do assume a certain level of knowledge about philosophical ideas (you should have an idea of what determinism is, for example) and psychological studies (knowing how studies are done and what significance means would help).

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Very Bad Wizards has so many things going for it, but I have yet to listen to an episode of theirs that doesn't end up feeling massively bloated. Any favorite episodes you'd recommend?

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Prop Wash posted:

Very Bad Wizards has so many things going for it, but I have yet to listen to an episode of theirs that doesn't end up feeling massively bloated. Any favorite episodes you'd recommend?

I think they're all at least a little like that, really. They are not very good at being organized and focusing down on a topic so digressions abound. It's a case of you either enjoy listening to them banter or you don't. I don't know that I necessarily learn a lot from them explicitly but they can still get you thinking.

It's been a while, but some episodes I think I can remember being good are:

Episode 3: "We believe in nothing!" (Cultural diversity, relativism, and moral truth)
Episode 9: Social Psychology, Situationism, and Moral Character
Episode 51: Zombies, Trolleys, and Galileo's Balls
Episode 53: The Psychology People Love to Hate (Evolutionary Psychology Pt.1)

edit - I will also say that at some point you will reach diminishing returns, simply because the episodes don't do enough to distinguish themselves from another. There is still a lot of interesting entertainment there, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Last Podcast on the Left is about 50/50 between true crime and paranormal. If they are tackling true crime it will definitely be the more horrific side like serial killers and spree killers. Right now they are doing Columbine. Just keep in mind the tone of their show is jokey and silly, but they are pretty funny. The downside of the humor focus is sometimes their research and factual accuracy can be a bit questionable.

This podcast is really enjoyable, although the hosts aren't quite as intelligent as I'd like for them to be. I've been skipping around the archive of Last Podcast on the Left, and when they bring up something they've already covered, it's pretty typical for them to say wrong facts or draw wrong conclusions from shoddily remembered stuff, although they probably are just operating off memory of something they last read a year or two ago. So, I'm willing to give the hosts of LPotL more of a pass than Sword and Scale, which covers stuff really thoroughly and does really great episodes(Episode 5 and 6 of S&S, on the Johnny Gosch abduction and the secret pedophilia/child sex slavery ring operating in the midwest was FASCINATING, and one of the coolest podcast experiences I've had to date)... Except he gets so preachy and loud about his personal beliefs that the mentally ill need to DIE DIE DIE all the friggin' time. His most recent two episodes on Joseph McEnroe drove me up the wall, because he'd go from talking so much poo poo about the guy and ragging on him for how much he hated his mom, to ragging on the mom and calling her a bad parent! If you're gonna just rag on everyone involved, I just end up not wanting to listen to the episode. And his massive belief that prosecutors are always the coolest, best, smartest, best sempais that he really wishes would just notice him drives me a little crazy.

So, take Sword and Scale with a massive grain of salt. If you subscribe to beliefs against the death penalty, or believe that the police are flawed, you might end up grinding your teeth as the host bangs on about his own personal politics. I wish he'd stay more impartial, but it seems like this stuff either goes massively liberal and comedic focused, or... Well. Otherwise.