Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

Kameh posted:

No, nothing like that.

if you have gmail open on some browser with chat connected you might not receive notifications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I've had a similar issue with Hangouts where it won't display notifications on my phone if it was the active app when the screen turns off (due to inactivity or otherwise). I get a message which sets a notification correctly, I look at the message/reply, then I set the phone down to do other things and come back 20 minutes later to find a response that I was never informed of. Phone is unrooted on KitKat, no task killer apps or anything, no other devices with the chat open.

My workaround was to just switch out of Hangouts when I'm done. :shrug:

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

program666 posted:

if you have gmail open on some browser with chat connected you might not receive notifications.

Also happens with Facebook Messenger and Skype. In those two you have to have focus on the specific conversation though.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

The Play Music website got a spiffy new look. It's pretty sweet.

I don't think there's a better thread for this.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
How do you tell the Play Music app to not pull in media that wasn't added via Play Music (aka stop pulling my audiobooks and podcasts) into my Play Music library?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Is there a system wide ad blocker? Because holy poo poo if I'm not getting flooded right now. I can't search anything on Chrome without being taken six places forward.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

uPen posted:

How do you tell the Play Music app to not pull in media that wasn't added via Play Music (aka stop pulling my audiobooks and podcasts) into my Play Music library?

What apps are you using for those? I know, for example, that PocketCasts has an option that you can toggle on or off that will let play music see your podcasts or not.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

^BeyondPod also has that option, in case you're using it.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

noirstronaut posted:

Is there a system wide ad blocker? Because holy poo poo if I'm not getting flooded right now. I can't search anything on Chrome without being taken six places forward.

You either have a lovely app installed or you go to websites that use colossally bad ad networks. Both are very plausible. Normal operation should not gently caress with your browsing experience that much.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

What apps are you using for those? I know, for example, that PocketCasts has an option that you can toggle on or off that will let play music see your podcasts or not.

Yup this worked, seems a little backwards that it's the other apps that manage that but whatever!

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

noirstronaut posted:

It requires root, but the go to option is AdAway. https://f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdid=org.adaway

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

noirstronaut posted:

Sounds like maybe you have something that is spoofing your DNS or something so that when you try and go to a website you are being shunted into some labyrinth of ad revenue for some ring of shitheads in some semi-industrialized hellhole.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
All of those things are possible, but I am far too much of a basic bitch to try and figure out which one it is, but

Astrotrain posted:

It requires root, but the go to option is AdAway. https://f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdid=org.adaway

this fixed it.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

The Play Music website got a spiffy new look. It's pretty sweet.

I don't think there's a better thread for this.

I don't like that you can't full screen the playlist now and it just hovers there instead, or at least i haven't found the button for it.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Another question: is there a way to do some sort of entire, full, tangible backup? Titanium backup was there to backup app data + settings or whatever it was called, but didn't backup the whole OS, the wallpaper settings, etc etc. Is there some app that does this (root access isn't a worry)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I dunno if Nandroid backups are still a thing these days, but that's more or less what those were.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

kirbysuperstar posted:

I dunno if Nandroid backups are still a thing these days, but that's more or less what those were.
They are still a thing and work the same as ever.

Lollipop is also a lot better at restoring stuff from previous devices.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
And with a Nandroid backup, I can flash back to stock, unlock my phone, and then just restore the backup from recovery with the unlock being maintained?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

noirstronaut posted:

And with a Nandroid backup, I can flash back to stock, unlock my phone, and then just restore the backup from recovery with the unlock being maintained?

Flashing to stock does not lock the device.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Hey, apologies if this isn't kosher, but I figured someone here might be interested- I got some Google Play gift cards that I have no use for and am selling em at a discount: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3720666

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

noirstronaut posted:

Seems like there is a possibility that your phone is crawling with malware. Maybe you don't want a full backup?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
No no. I have an unlock code. The method for unlocking it and bringing up the menu doesn't work on CM12. So, I was wondering if going to stock, doing the unlock process, and then going back to CM12 would result in an unlocked phone on CM12.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

noirstronaut posted:

No no. I have an unlock code. The method for unlocking it and bringing up the menu doesn't work on CM12. So, I was wondering if going to stock, doing the unlock process, and then going back to CM12 would result in an unlocked phone on CM12.
AFAIK, it should

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Anyone have a recommendation for an app that helps you navigate cities via public transportation? Something that'll guide me to points of interest from my current location, preferably for european cities. This seems to be the kind of thing I'm looking for: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=at.nextstop.android.pro&hl=en but I am wondering if there's a common go-to app for something like this.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
google maps work more or less for rio de janeiro

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
I recently adopted a cat that has a habit of chewing cables, I was interested in some IP cameras to monitor him while I'm gone but then I got to thinking, I've got a couple old phones laying around that could probably do a better job of it. Anyone know of any good apps for this?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
maybe just kill the cat

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

FlyingCheese posted:

I recently adopted a cat that has a habit of chewing cables, I was interested in some IP cameras to monitor him while I'm gone but then I got to thinking, I've got a couple old phones laying around that could probably do a better job of it. Anyone know of any good apps for this?

How will monitoring the cat help?

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

stickyfngrdboy posted:

He needs to make sure the cat doesn't eat the usb charging cables for the old phones he's planning to use as cameras.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I like the idea that any cat feels that being watched should be a deterrent to doing anything.

Brain Aged
Feb 10, 2005

Bridle all this indiscretion, Long enough to edify. And permanently fill this hollow

FlyingCheese posted:

Maybe try IP Webcam
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pas.webcam&hl=en

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

LastInLine posted:

I like the idea that any cat feels that being watched should be a deterrent to doing anything.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADa6MXREhjI

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I don't work very far from home so the idea is that if I can catch him doing something he shouldn't be doing, I can stop it within a relatively short amount of time, or at least prevent further damage.. I hope.

This too.

Thanks.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

A cat with shame; a shameful cat.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Get a remote activated water gun that you can spray at it when you catch it

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

dik-dik posted:

Get a remote activated water gun that you can spray at it when you catch it

or this thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cphGWOPi0k

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Why don't you just find plastic cable covers and then gorilla tape cable covers together? I doubt showing the cat your evidence is going to make it feel guilty.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Skywalker OG posted:

Why don't you just find plastic cable covers and then gorilla tape cable covers together? I doubt showing the cat your evidence is going to make it feel guilty.

Hmm, this might be the best route. For some reason I thought those cable covers were pretty expensive but they don't seem to be.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Biggest human being Ever posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for an app that helps you navigate cities via public transportation? Something that'll guide me to points of interest from my current location, preferably for european cities. This seems to be the kind of thing I'm looking for: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=at.nextstop.android.pro&hl=en but I am wondering if there's a common go-to app for something like this.
Citymapper is excellent but you'd have to check if it supports the cities you want. Drop down in the top left:
https://citymapper.com/london
They also have mobile apps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

FlyingCheese posted:

I don't work very far from home so the idea is that if I can catch him doing something he shouldn't be doing, I can stop it within a relatively short amount of time, or at least prevent further damage.. I hope.

Thanks.

This is hilarious

• Locked thread