Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Lord Lambeth posted:

Important to note that rolling away will use up a bunch of stamina but just dodging won't use up any. You can dodge all you want and still use signs, not the other way around.

Yeah, they really toned down rolling from witcher 2, not a bad idea because it was ridiculous. Mainly dodging versus monsters and doing parry counterattacks versus humans has worked well for me so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I gotta praise this game a bit.

I got the contract for the witch in the well. The entire quest is quite amazing. You go there, learn what kind of ghost it is, look it up and the bestiary. It feels unforced, natrual story telling. You learn how you can defeat her, go out to produce that poo poo, use the trap and then finally defeat her.

It's a short quest, but it feels right. Of course, the sad music that plays around the area kinda doesn't help, because it's a sad as gently caress story. :smith:^

e: Oh wow, that actually opens a new dialog with the herbalist that is not even part of the quest :psyduck: This game is so good.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

So Places of Power are pretty much a free level up now?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

gently caress, hard locks when in the inventory getting a bit annoying now.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Comrade Flynn posted:

So Places of Power are pretty much a free level up now?

free ability but no stat increase like the leveling up.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Calidus posted:

free ability but no stat increase like the leveling up.

Also still need to level to get more skill slots.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Mike the TV posted:

I just started and I have the graphics set as high as I can (for a 270) and the grass and leaves are super low-quality. I have texture and grass density set to the highest level and it still looks like I'm wandering around a watercolor painting. Is there a setting that I'm missing?

I fiddled with the settings a bit and the texture quality is always low no matter what I changed the settings to. Do I need to fiddle with the .ini file? I'd really like some high-quality gooseberry bushes please.
If it helps, I have an i5-4570 and an r9 270.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Junkenstein posted:

gently caress, hard locks when in the inventory getting a bit annoying now.

Having just done a search on it, I found

'Finally got it working. If somebody will have same problem, just turn off v-sync. No crashes after this. Weird bug.'

Someone else said it was fixed by going full screen, not borderless windows and 'tweaking graphic settings', given that could include the v-synch setting above, i'd start with just that.

Karrahad
Nov 4, 2010

ymgve posted:

Just had a freeze trying to slot a gem into an item. Considering this and the freezing when reading notes, something's definitely hosed up with the inventory code.

I had a dozen or so random freezes during cutscenes / while browsing the inventory until I switched from fullscreen to borderless window. Been a smooth ride ever since.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
What the gently caress is up with Geralt only being able to fall like 2 feet without taking damage

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

What the gently caress is up with Geralt only being able to fall like 2 feet without taking damage

I almost died the in the tutorial last night because of that.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Yeah seriously, I can fall further than that. He died to a tiny fall down a ravine when I was trying to get down to some Drowners earliers.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

High-gravity setting, it's realistic.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

He's getting old and brittle?

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

Broken Cog posted:

Yeah seriously, I can fall further than that. He died to a tiny fall down a ravine when I was trying to get down to some Drowners earliers.

If you're talking about the ones near the beach I lost 75% of my health jumping into sand from 4 feet up

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Keket posted:

Yeah i am, its that 3 man sword fight in the tavern, i've got it on story and swords, dodge and block and just end up getting murdered every time.

This is where I hosed up my save game and almost had to restart / give up the game. I was level 2 (Or barely level 3..?).

It autosaves you if they attack. I had almost zero health so I would die instantly and wait to reload only to happen again and again. My manual reload was HOURS before that (Stupid me!), so I was stuck.

I got past it by backing into a corner, holding down the parry button and all three guys couldn't hurt me. I cast flame occasionally while I ate all my food until I was full health then attacked and killed them.

You're not supposed to be that low level, and the game didn't hold your hand, which is good, and obviously bad.

Just remember to MANUALLY SAVE BEFORE DOING ANYTHING THAT MIGHT TRIGGER A BIG FIGHT OR CHOICE OR CHECKPOINT.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
In case you all didn't know, F5 is quicksave like in every other Witcher game. No excuse not to tap it before approaching a quest objective/POI.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

EightBit posted:

He's getting old and brittle?

One of the side effects of essentially drinking poison his whole life is rapid onset arthritis, apparently.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man
I'm going hog wild with W3 saves. Fortunately, they're much much smaller than in W2. I actually had to prune my W2 saves because they regularly exceeded the Steam Cloud limit.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Philthy posted:

This is where I hosed up my save game and almost had to restart / give up the game. I was level 2 (Or barely level 3..?).

It autosaves you if they attack. I had almost zero health so I would die instantly and wait to reload only to happen again and again. My manual reload was HOURS before that (Stupid me!), so I was stuck.

I got past it by backing into a corner, holding down the parry button and all three guys couldn't hurt me. I cast flame occasionally while I ate all my food until I was full health then attacked and killed them.

You're not supposed to be that low level, and the game didn't hold your hand, which is good, and obviously bad.

Just remember to MANUALLY SAVE BEFORE DOING ANYTHING THAT MIGHT TRIGGER A BIG FIGHT OR CHOICE OR CHECKPOINT.

I had to replay the entire Vizima castle section because I belatedly realized that going there automatically fails some of the white orchard sidequests and this game is awesome so I ain't missing a thing. Save often and be careful out there folks :sweatdrop:

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Verranicus posted:

In case you all didn't know, F5 is quicksave like in every other Witcher game. No excuse not to tap it before approaching a quest objective/POI.

Do they overwrite each other?

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

At what point do I get access to the barber to change my hair????/////

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

No Mods No Masters posted:

I had to replay the entire Vizima castle section because I belatedly realized that going there automatically fails some of the white orchard sidequests and this game is awesome so I ain't missing a thing. Save often and be careful out there folks :sweatdrop:

Well. poo poo.

Good thing I'm not that much of a completest.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Lord Lambeth posted:

Probably, but I'm not sure.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

No Mods No Masters posted:

AAAAAH WHICH ONES!

sidenote: that entire section had my jaw agape. iIt looked loving stunning.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Lord Lambeth posted:

They do, unlike in 2, thankfully.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Schurik posted:

AAAAAH WHICH ONES!

sidenote: that entire section had my jaw agape. iIt looked loving stunning.

At the least the one where you help the guy find his missing brother, I don't have access to the actual quest name atm.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

PST posted:

Having just done a search on it, I found

'Finally got it working. If somebody will have same problem, just turn off v-sync. No crashes after this. Weird bug.'

Someone else said it was fixed by going full screen, not borderless windows and 'tweaking graphic settings', given that could include the v-synch setting above, i'd start with just that.

So somebody on Reddit noticed that the game was hanging because of their cards clocking down/up when moving between inventory and gameplay. Apparently, a lot of people have had luck setting the program preferences in Nvidia control panel to prioritize maximum performance under power management, which prevents this. I explained the process for doing that earlier in the thread.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

sauer kraut posted:

After the Ignicalypse of the first game they seem hellbent on ensuring Geralt not becoming a sorcerer.
I don't know, Igni was the first skill I leveled up and its at max now (Just left White Orchard). Its a poor man's Aard that comes with damage, potential DoTs for kiting, and weakens armor (with skill), which means that my fast attacks (which I use a lot more than strong) hit much, much harder. Its still good, but its a support skill, like all the signs. I like it.

I did consider that maybe I should be using Aard + strong attacks more, but gently caress it, gotta go fast.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

do you get some sweet capes or hoods to wear in this game?

also one of my pals said the graphics quality was "on point to the same as Shadow of Mordor" for the PS4 version, is that an astute comparison? I thought that looked pretty as hell on PS4.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

black.lion posted:

At what point do I get access to the barber to change my hair????/////

I rescued a barber from a renegade camp in the north-western part of the second area.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Solartide posted:

Yeah, and the siege commander or whoever that gives +1/+1 to your catapults, that happens even after they hit the board with a weather effect. The rules are much simpler than mtg, I thought the weather effect would have a later timestamp.
Similarly the 4 power guys who double in power if next to a copy of itself will also go around the weather effect. Not sure how well the AI is built but I'm happy so far with only keeping weather clear cards and baiting them. So far I'm eyeing up the monster deck for endgame due to the innate ability (randomly keep one of your cards on the field after a round). Need to play more than just tutorial card man but I did only play 4 hours while wandering starter area. Right now I'm not sure if the person who designed the card game understands why resources besides # of cards exists.

Broken Cog posted:

Gwent seems a bit weird to me, like a lot of cards seem flat out better than others. Why would you ever use any card with a value of 1 or 2 and no special abilities?
Yeah agreed, even with abilities I'm not a fan of the 1 power +1/+1 catapult guy given how much you have to commit to the board for a marginal increase in power. Maybe there's special cards later to wipe all 4+ power cards from the board?

Badly Jester posted:

Is anyone else having issues with Shadowplay and the FPS counter not working in this game?
Worked for me, obviously make sure that shadowplay is enabled (I just set it to manual) and that FPS is set to appear in a corner in geforce experience. I'm at a constant 60 with a single 970, gonna grab my settings in a bit - although might be able to increase them just a little.

Far as SSD goes if you have the game on it you'll get a flash of a loading screen - bit of a shame as I hear there's important info on there

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

VanillaGorilla posted:

So somebody on Reddit noticed that the game was hanging because of their cards clocking down/up when moving between inventory and gameplay. Apparently, a lot of people have had luck setting the program preferences in Nvidia control panel to prioritize maximum performance under power management, which prevents this. I explained the process for doing that earlier in the thread.

I am hoping your fix does it, I tried not having Vsync on and I got some of the worst tearing I have ever seen in a game.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

How on earth do you get up to the castle ruins?

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Phoix posted:

I found the Ursine armor set recipe in a cave but it's not actually in my crafting menu. Can I not even see how to craft it until I find someone who can or did the game break?

In case anyone else runs into this, it looks the game did actually break. I found the sword recipe later and it shows up fine. Guess I can never make that armor. :toot:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Phoix posted:

In case anyone else runs into this, it looks the game did actually break. I found the sword recipe later and it shows up fine. Guess I can never make that armor. :toot:
Are you sure you're talking to the right kind of blacksmith? Only some craft weapons and others craft armors.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Comrade Flynn posted:

How on earth do you get up to the castle ruins?
You can climb up on the south side if you approach from the west.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I have played a bunch of gwent and never won a single god damned game. help :negative:

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

[Shadowplay w]orked for me, obviously make sure that shadowplay is enabled (I just set it to manual) and that FPS is set to appear in a corner in geforce experience. I'm at a constant 60 with a single 970, gonna grab my settings in a bit - although might be able to increase them just a little.

I've triple-checked that, and I just can't get the overlay to show up. Afterburner works fine, though. :iiam:

Also, is there something I should be doing in a monster den to clear it, other than killing everything inside?

Edit: Nevermind, I didn't loot everything because I'm myopic as gently caress. Clear your corners, people.

Badly Jester fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

One thing i'm not seeing mention of is the art style in this game. I always thought W2 had a much more "fantasy" look than W1. Not for better or worse, just different. This game is how I imagine W1 would look like with modern graphics. White Orchard reminds me a lot of Vizima Outskirts. I love it! I like that this game ties back into W1 in that way, making all three games, though different, still have some visual consistency. Also...that loving soundtrack.