Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Shnooks posted:

(and Australia is a total bitch to get your pets into)

Even if you're Johnny Depp, as this week has shown us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Organza Quiz posted:

Even if you're Johnny Depp, as this week has shown us.

We have 2 doctors where I work who are certified to issue international health certificates and we're always getting harassed by people who don't plan until the last minute. We all cackled when we heard what happened, what a dope.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Shnooks posted:

We have 2 doctors where I work who are certified to issue international health certificates and we're always getting harassed by people who don't plan until the last minute. We all cackled when we heard what happened, what a dope.

Johny Dope

SADDLE ME UP
Dec 2, 2014
I just got a Balinese kitten, he's a cute little gently caress.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SADDLE ME UP posted:

We require photographic evidence.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

SADDLE ME UP posted:

Well where's the pictures then?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Shnooks posted:

Well where's the pictures then?

Yeah, you can't just say something like that and expect us to take your word for it.

Serious question folks - a colleague had kittens (was adopted by a pregnant cat) and they'll be available by the end of July - I'm very tempted by one, but I'm also going to go on holiday in October, which will only be two months after the kitten moves in; I'm concerned that that's too soon and it would be really disruptive to the kitten to leave it being fed by friends and neighbours or put into a cattery so soon after I got it.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Angrymog posted:

Yeah, you can't just say something like that and expect us to take your word for it.

Serious question folks - a colleague had kittens (was adopted by a pregnant cat) and they'll be available by the end of July - I'm very tempted by one, but I'm also going to go on holiday in October, which will only be two months after the kitten moves in; I'm concerned that that's too soon and it would be really disruptive to the kitten to leave it being fed by friends and neighbours or put into a cattery so soon after I got it.

How long will you be gone? I'd think a week-or-three wouldn't be so bad if the little bugger gets plenty of opportunities to be socialized with new people and other pets before then. As long as the caregivers can keep the kitten on a routine I think it would be fine. You'll be missing out on some prime kitten zanies, though. Also, can you manage to get two of those babbies?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Arriviste posted:

How long will you be gone? I'd think a week-or-three wouldn't be so bad if the little bugger gets plenty of opportunities to be socialized with new people and other pets before then. As long as the caregivers can keep the kitten on a routine I think it would be fine. You'll be missing out on some prime kitten zanies, though. Also, can you manage to get two of those babbies?

10 days and I already have one cat, otherwise yes, I'd get two of them. The kittens aren't in anyy danger of not being homed if I don't get one; my colleague has already signed them over to a rescue and is just acting as a fosterer for them until they're old enough to move on.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Why would my cat drag laundry across the floor and deposit it into the drinkwell?

- causing the garment to soak up all the water, which then begins soaking into the carpet. :mad:

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Deviant posted:

Why would my cat drag laundry across the floor and deposit it into the drinkwell?

- causing the garment to soak up all the water, which then begins soaking into the carpet. :mad:

Cats like wet carpet.

Or, so I assume, since one of mine seems endlessly determined to flip over the water bowl every time I refill it.

might be wrong
Oct 11, 2012
My cat is incredibly tolerant with people but apparently this does not extend to new cats :ohdear: The OP has great advice, but things aren't going well. For the record, Abbey is two and this kitten is just eight weeks old. I followed the OP's advice and kept the kitten in my room for a week, then started introducing the two.

Every time I try, it ends with the kitten curiously approaching Abbey and Abbey hissing and growling and eventually swatting/chasing after her. And I honestly don't blame her, because the kitten sees her tail moving and leaps onto it. Repeatedly. :downs:

I want to let them just work it out but my original cat is something like 12 pounds and has no problem knocking the kitten on her rear end over and over, so every time a fight breaks out it really worries me. Maybe I should wait until the kitten is older, but not being able to leave them in a room together unsupervised for months will be a huge pain in the rear end. Any ideas?

e: here are the two stinkers in question, why not

might be wrong fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 19, 2015

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Is she chasing the kitten off to make her leave her alone? Or is she pursuing her to keep smacking her around?

Some swatting and hissing is normal. Grown cats can be kind of intimidated by kittens, because it puts the idea of an angry mama cat nearby in their head. Can you distract the kitten while they're in the room together, to get her focus off the cat's tail?

might be wrong
Oct 11, 2012

Huntersoninski posted:

Is she chasing the kitten off to make her leave her alone? Or is she pursuing her to keep smacking her around?

Some swatting and hissing is normal. Grown cats can be kind of intimidated by kittens, because it puts the idea of an angry mama cat nearby in their head. Can you distract the kitten while they're in the room together, to get her focus off the cat's tail?

Usually she'll chase her off, then lie down and keep an eye on her. So yeah, she's definitely trying to just get the kitten away.

Should I just let them be in the same room but try to get them to mind their own business? It's easy to get the kitten to play with something else.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

might be wrong posted:

My cat is incredibly tolerant with people but apparently this does not extend to new cats :ohdear: The OP has great advice, but things aren't going well. For the record, Abbey is two and this kitten is just eight weeks old. I followed the OP's advice and kept the kitten in my room for a week, then started introducing the two.

Every time I try, it ends with the kitten curiously approaching Abbey and Abbey hissing and growling and eventually swatting/chasing after her. And I honestly don't blame her, because the kitten sees her tail moving and leaps onto it. Repeatedly. :downs:

I want to let them just work it out but my original cat is something like 12 pounds and has no problem knocking the kitten on her rear end over and over, so every time a fight breaks out it really worries me. Maybe I should wait until the kitten is older, but not being able to leave them in a room together unsupervised for months will be a huge pain in the rear end. Any ideas?

e: here are the two stinkers in question, why not

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

might be wrong posted:

Should I just let them be in the same room but try to get them to mind their own business? It's easy to get the kitten to play with something else.

That is what I would do. It sounds like the older cat is mostly interested in teaching kitten some manners rather than doing any actual damage.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Huntersoninski posted:

That is what I would do. It sounds like the older cat is mostly interested in teaching kitten some manners rather than doing any actual damage.

Swatting and hissing is how adult cats teach kittens manners, yeah. Kittens are assholes by default.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?
Just wanted to update you all: Freyja and Loki are finally almost back to a normal non hostile state. Just took some time but right now they are sleeping less than 2 feet away from each other on the couch.

Sorry for the panicking before. You were all correct; just monitor and make sure they don't get too violent. Lots of playing and short times together also helped. They tussled a bit but it seems to be calm now. Also, feeding them in the same room really sped things along. Bowls on opposite sides, then a bit closer each day.

Thanks again for the help!

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
I was going to give a stuffed animal to my kitten when she arrives, but I realized the stuffed animal has plastic eyes. Am I right in guessing this means it isn't safe to give to her?

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Depends on how firmly they're secured and what size they are, really. If you're nervous about it you can snip them off and then give it to her, that's what I do for any toy part that I'm anxious about.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
--

SpaceAceJase fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jul 7, 2016

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Pizza threw up his entire breakfast this morning maybe ten minutes after eating, which is not typical for him. I came home at lunch to check on him and he was his normal self, alert, active, and cuddly. I gave him a small amount of food then in case he was hungry, but he only ate maybe one bite. It's unusual for him to leave food in the bowl. I did catch him pooping in the litter box after this.

This evening, at his normally scheduled dinner, he maybe ate two bites before losing interest. He would walk back to me, expectantly chirping, but when I brought him back to his bowl he would sniff at it, then look back to me as if to say "Ok, but where's dinner?" He's been on this food for over a year with no problems.

1. The weather changed really suddenly here from very hot to pretty chilly. Maybe that made him feel not so great?

2. This is a new bag of food, just opened yesterday. It's Royal Canin Urinary SO (of course he'd have this problem with a prescription).
  - I did have it out in my car in the heat for one day before I brought it in, because I forgot
  - I called the vet and they were not aware of any change in the recipe and had no other complaints

How badly should I be freaking out? He's still acting like himself and lets me touch him/his belly (though he has never fought that, even when he had his first issue with bladder crystals so that's a bad indicator). I don't know what to do if he suddenly won't eat this food, I don't have much in the way of options.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

SynthOrange posted:

Redirected aggression! http://www.cathospitalofchicago.com/online-cat-health-library/feline-redirected-aggression

Cats are dumb as gently caress and take out their frustration over seeing intruders on fellow members of the household. :downs:

Just wanted to say thanks again and update. We decided that blocking her view was the only way to deal with it so we bought some of that decorative window film to cover the bottom 2 feet of the sliding glass doors. It's been only a few days and her overall personality has absolutely flipped back to the sweet cuddly cat we knew before moving. She hadn't even slept on the bed with us for months, and started doing it again within 2 days of the film being up. I felt bad at first about taking away her favourite entertainment but there are other windows in the house that don't face the area where other cats like to hang out and seeing this much difference makes me confident that it was the best way to keep the peace in the entire household.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Huntersoninski posted:

Pizza threw up his entire breakfast this morning maybe ten minutes after eating, which is not typical for him. I came home at lunch to check on him and he was his normal self, alert, active, and cuddly. I gave him a small amount of food then in case he was hungry, but he only ate maybe one bite. It's unusual for him to leave food in the bowl. I did catch him pooping in the litter box after this.

This evening, at his normally scheduled dinner, he maybe ate two bites before losing interest. He would walk back to me, expectantly chirping, but when I brought him back to his bowl he would sniff at it, then look back to me as if to say "Ok, but where's dinner?" He's been on this food for over a year with no problems.

1. The weather changed really suddenly here from very hot to pretty chilly. Maybe that made him feel not so great?

2. This is a new bag of food, just opened yesterday. It's Royal Canin Urinary SO (of course he'd have this problem with a prescription).
  - I did have it out in my car in the heat for one day before I brought it in, because I forgot
  - I called the vet and they were not aware of any change in the recipe and had no other complaints

How badly should I be freaking out? He's still acting like himself and lets me touch him/his belly (though he has never fought that, even when he had his first issue with bladder crystals so that's a bad indicator). I don't know what to do if he suddenly won't eat this food, I don't have much in the way of options.

This happens with my cats on new bags of food sometimes and I usually blame it on QC problems at the Wellness factory. Does your cat like wet food? Give him a half can and if he gobbles it up, then issue is with the batch of Royal Canin and not kitty.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."

Huntersoninski posted:

Only thing I can think of is to check whether there's a change of smell or color after that day in the heat, but you probably would have noticed it. And anyway the food is supposed to withstand the elements for a while. But who knows, it might depend on the temperature.

Also as far as I understand, a cat could start turning her nose up on a food because she vomited in correlation with eating this food, not necessarily because the food made her vomit. So... yeah. :shrug:

^^Oh, yeah, there's that, too.

Meanwhile, my cat keeps chasing birds off the windowsill cum bird feeder. So far there have been a few small birds, hard to identify because they don't reach the edge of the window frame. Crows sometimes. But right now there's suddenly a bunch of pigeons, and they pretty much don't give a gently caress that a cat is staring at them from just a few centimeters behind the glass. :rolleyes: Or maybe that's just cause my cat isn't moving, because a pigeon's been staring at her for a minute, then the cat lost patience and began moving her tail, which made the pigeon make a quick getaway. Anyway, still an equivocal failure, because I can't convince my cat that it's in her interest to watch from a distance so birds don't stop coming over at all.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Sometimes my cats just get pukey for no particular reason. Maybe they have a virus or something, but it tends not to go on very long. It's hard to know if it's a symptom of something serious or if it's just a thing they'll get over shortly.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

KasioDiscoRock posted:

Just wanted to say thanks again and update. We decided that blocking her view was the only way to deal with it so we bought some of that decorative window film to cover the bottom 2 feet of the sliding glass doors. It's been only a few days and her overall personality has absolutely flipped back to the sweet cuddly cat we knew before moving. She hadn't even slept on the bed with us for months, and started doing it again within 2 days of the film being up. I felt bad at first about taking away her favourite entertainment but there are other windows in the house that don't face the area where other cats like to hang out and seeing this much difference makes me confident that it was the best way to keep the peace in the entire household.

No problem. It's just one of those common idiot cat problems that freak people out because it just comes out of nowhere, but it's just cats being their idiot selves. Glad to hear that it's resolved!

Huntersoninski posted:

It could also be the new bag of food smells really good and fresh so he ate it faster than usual. Of course, just gobbling down food can cause cats to barf too, because cats.:shrug:

The blue bunny
May 29, 2013

demota posted:

I was going to give a stuffed animal to my kitten when she arrives, but I realized the stuffed animal has plastic eyes. Am I right in guessing this means it isn't safe to give to her?

Check out the dog toy section of your pet store. When mine was a kitten i got her cow there. She loves cow. I did pick up a second cow for when this smelling one wears out.

(edit i was going to post a picture but it ended up gallery poster size)

The blue bunny fucked around with this message at 10:22 on May 21, 2015

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
A vet recommended that I clean my cat's eyes with camomile infusion (if I've translated from Russian correctly) instead of clear water.* But the dry camomile comes in packets for the smallest solution volume of about a glass, and the first one I've made stayed in the fridge for about a week, and I was getting more and more hesitant about using it because even if I couldn't see it, it must have been getting... populated. In the end, I poured most of the solution down the drain, which felt a bit of a waste. Any thoughts? :(

*She doesn't have an eye disease or anything. I just don't like the dirt collecting in her tearducts.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Anymore advice on potential kitten aquirement when I'm going to be going on holiday (for 10 days) two months after aquirring it? Kittens aren't in danger if I don't take one.

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

Please don't troll me online

Angrymog posted:

Anymore advice on potential kitten aquirement when I'm going to be going on holiday (for 10 days) two months after aquirring it? Kittens aren't in danger if I don't take one.

Is anyone going to be around to take care of / play with it? An older cat would probably be fine with someone checking on it once a day but a kitten's going to need someone to play with it or your house is toast.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

tentawesome posted:

Is anyone going to be around to take care of / play with it? An older cat would probably be fine with someone checking on it once a day but a kitten's going to need someone to play with it or your house is toast.

That's another concern, I was going to get someone to pop in rather than stuffing them in a cattery, but no-one who'll be able to spend the time required to really amuse the kitten :(

Kittens another time, then.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Angrymog posted:

That's another concern, I was going to get someone to pop in rather than stuffing them in a cattery, but no-one who'll be able to spend the time required to really amuse the kitten :(

Kittens another time, then.

There's got to be a 10-year-old girl living near you somewhere. They will gladly play all day with a kitten, to the point where her parents will have to drag her home.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Deteriorata posted:

There's got to be a 10-year-old girl living near you somewhere. They will gladly play all day with a kitten, to the point where her parents will have to drag her home.

Sadly the sprogs of all my friends are either too small or live too far away :(

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Pizza only ate half his breakfast so I spent my day worrying, but he's just cleaned his dinner bowl so hooray, he doesn't have to go to the vet on his birthday! :toot: I guess he was just a bit under the weather. Thanks for reassurances, goons. Switching prescription food brands means switching vets so any food issues with The Pie make me extra nervous.

Edit: gently caress he just threw it all up again!! After I got it all cleaned up, I went to put away the mop and walked by the door where the cat food is kept, and Pizza followed me yelling, as if he was starving. So I thought, maybe he is just eating too fast. So I gave him a tiiiny bit, waited for him to finish and walk around a little, gave him a tiny bit more, and then a little bit more. He walked off as brisk and energetic as always but immediately horked it all up again. My poor buddy :( I've already made an appointment for the vet tomorrow morning but until then, what are my options? He's barely kept a thing down since yesterday. Do I:

1. run out and get a brand new bag of his Rx in case it's just a bad batch, feed him and watch?
2. maybe give him some of Ozma's non-Rx food to see if THAT makes him sick too?
3. let him starve until vet time tomorrow morning where we'll see if it's a blockage or something?

My poor lil guy. It's his birthday tomorrow. I don't know what we're going to do if it's just the food generally and not this batch. At least he's still willing to eat it.

Rat Patrol fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 21, 2015

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

If you don't give him food for the 12ish or so hours prior to a vet visit and can tell your vet that you know that he hasn't eaten anything for that period of time, it makes an x-ray of his abdomen that much more potentially useful as his stomach should've cleared things by then.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

Hi cat thread, this is Faith:

About a year ago, Faith got really itchy, and chewed off a bunch of her fur. We took her to the vet, who prescribed some chicken flavored Benadryl, and things were great for like a week. Then she was still biting everything off again.

We did a long remove-possible-food-allergens thing (no dry food with peas > no dry food with corn or peas > no dry food > no wet food with chicken > just whole new protein sources) until we had her eating venison she is a fancy cat. We also got rid of air fresheners and switched dish soaps and all that. She didn't stop biting, but everyone seems to agree that it takes about 90 days without a food allergen before you stop seeing symptoms. We're coming up on that, and I'm kind of out of ideas.

The other major complication is that I'm going to be out of town for ~2 days for nonnegotiable reasons (like, dying relative). I started giving her a little dry food (no chicken or turkey, which was tough) just so she'd be expecting it from the auto feeder, but now a day later she's got one eyelid all red and semi-swollen (like it's closed half the time). I don't *know* that it's the dry food, because she's just scratched her eyelid too hard and gotten it swollen that way in the past.

Anyone have any tips on getting to the bottom of this allergy? Is she gonna like, go into anaphylactic shock if I don't bring her in tomorrow and get her an antihistamine for the weekend?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

betaraywil posted:

Hi cat thread, this is Faith:

About a year ago, Faith got really itchy, and chewed off a bunch of her fur. We took her to the vet, who prescribed some chicken flavored Benadryl, and things were great for like a week. Then she was still biting everything off again.

We did a long remove-possible-food-allergens thing (no dry food with peas > no dry food with corn or peas > no dry food > no wet food with chicken > just whole new protein sources) until we had her eating venison she is a fancy cat. We also got rid of air fresheners and switched dish soaps and all that. She didn't stop biting, but everyone seems to agree that it takes about 90 days without a food allergen before you stop seeing symptoms. We're coming up on that, and I'm kind of out of ideas.

The other major complication is that I'm going to be out of town for ~2 days for nonnegotiable reasons (like, dying relative). I started giving her a little dry food (no chicken or turkey, which was tough) just so she'd be expecting it from the auto feeder, but now a day later she's got one eyelid all red and semi-swollen (like it's closed half the time). I don't *know* that it's the dry food, because she's just scratched her eyelid too hard and gotten it swollen that way in the past.

Anyone have any tips on getting to the bottom of this allergy? Is she gonna like, go into anaphylactic shock if I don't bring her in tomorrow and get her an antihistamine for the weekend?

We have a cat with allergies and the vet ran a battery of tests to see what caused it. My daughter was mainly involved so I don't know the specifics, but there ended up being about six different things she was allergic to in varying degrees. Corn and pork were the top two. We've since been reading ingredient labels carefully and have found some she doesn't react to, so life is much better for her. Our other two cats can eat anything without a problem.

Prior to going the food route, she was on a tetracycline medicine that successfully suppressed the allergic reaction but cost a fortune. So expensive food is actually the cheaper alternative for us at the moment.

The allergens panel ran about $130, as I recall, but was worth it in my opinion to have a specific diagnosis as to what she had problems with.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

Oh okay. I'm kind of surprised they could even do allergen panels. (I'm familiar with the human version, which is basically "we scratch your arm in 30 places and put one allergen in each and see what blooms" so I couldn't imagine they could even do that for a cat.) But yeah, okay, that sounds awesome and well worth $130.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

And an embarassed kitty for awhile since they basically shave one side.