Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Many credit unions are part of partnerships that get free atm use at all other credit unions in the network. Mine in Michigan gives me free atm use at the atm in 7-11s too, of all places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Aggro posted:

Couple of questions:

Our home mortgage comes with a requirement that we have to open an account with the credit union and make payments from that account in order to get a 0.125% decrease in the loan. Most of the credit unions we spoke to offered that. However, this is a small, local credit union, so there are like two ATMs in the whole state. They have a "max checking" account that offers 3% APY up to $15k provided that I make 10 debit card purchases a month, set up direct deposit, and get e-statements. That seems like an obnoxious burden to make, at most, $450/yr. So, I'm more inclined to just open an account and set up an automatic transfer from B of A each month. Does that seem reasonable?

Also, is there a home ownership thread? I know there's one for home buying, but it would be nice to discuss home maintenance and DIY projects since I have little experience with either.
BOA, gross. I'd use anyone other than them. My CU, like every one I've ever seen, let's you use ANY CU branch or ATM to withdraw money. Go to a CU!

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
10 debit purchases, direct deposit, and e-statements? The horror!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

any debit purchase is a horror indeed.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009

Aggro posted:

Couple of questions:

Also, is there a home ownership thread? I know there's one for home buying, but it would be nice to discuss home maintenance and DIY projects since I have little experience with either.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2734807&perpage=40

Aggro posted:

Our home mortgage comes with a requirement that we have to open an account with the credit union and make payments from that account in order to get a 0.125% decrease in the loan. Most of the credit unions we spoke to offered that. However, this is a small, local credit union, so there are like two ATMs in the whole state. They have a "max checking" account that offers 3% APY up to $15k provided that I make 10 debit card purchases a month, set up direct deposit, and get e-statements. That seems like an obnoxious burden to make, at most, $450/yr. So, I'm more inclined to just open an account and set up an automatic transfer from B of A each month.

Does that seem reasonable?

Not really. BoA is awful, a credit union will treat you much better, on average. Also, $450 is a fair bit of money. I don't know/care how much you make... But think about it in terms of your hourly income. An hour or two, at most, to set up a few auto debits and transfers should be worth it to reap what I would imagine is roughly half of a mortgage payment, or more.

Dead Pressed fucked around with this message at 14:06 on May 17, 2015

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

MrKatharsis posted:

10 debit purchases, direct deposit, and e-statements? The horror!

I buy a breakfast sandwich for $1.41 in the cafeteria every morning which gets my transactions covered. But yes using a debit card is dumb if the option to use a credit card is available to you

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Aggro posted:

Couple of questions:

Our home mortgage comes with a requirement that we have to open an account with the credit union and make payments from that account in order to get a 0.125% decrease in the loan. Most of the credit unions we spoke to offered that. However, this is a small, local credit union, so there are like two ATMs in the whole state. They have a "max checking" account that offers 3% APY up to $15k provided that I make 10 debit card purchases a month, set up direct deposit, and get e-statements. That seems like an obnoxious burden to make, at most, $450/yr. So, I'm more inclined to just open an account and set up an automatic transfer from B of A each month. Does that seem reasonable?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=210

DIY & Hobbies is pretty helpful.

edit beaten. New page threw me off.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

I buy a breakfast sandwich for $1.41 in the cafeteria every morning which gets my transactions covered. But yes using a debit card is dumb if the option to use a credit card is available to you

Why? Because you're missing points? One percent back is like a million spots down on the list of smart things you could be doing with money. Goony ubernerds love it though because they can min max it and be just like their WoW character.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

MrKatharsis posted:

Why? Because you're missing points? One percent back is like a million spots down on the list of smart things you could be doing with money. Goony ubernerds love it though because they can min max it and be just like their WoW character.

If someone steals your debit card and runs up fraudulent charges, the money is gone from your checking account while the fraud investigation gets resolved.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Not really a concern? I'm not liable for it either way.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

MrKatharsis posted:

I'd prefer not to risk having my checking account emptied at any time, even if I will get the money back in the end.

Also, 2% of my total expenditures per year is at least in the hundreds of dollars, which, while not exactly life changing, is pretty nice to get for "free". Over a 10-year span that's at least a few thousand.

I tend not to turn down free hundreds of dollars when possible.

Dessert Rose fucked around with this message at 01:47 on May 19, 2015

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

MrKatharsis posted:

If you think 1% back is the best you can do on a credit card then I don't think you really know what you're criticizing.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

pig slut lisa posted:

If you think 1% back is the best you can do on a credit card then I don't think you really know what you're criticizing.

Companion pass club!

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

MrKatharsis posted:

Are you sure? Generally the policy is the bank covers 100% of loss if you notify within 2 business days, something like 90% if within 3, and 50% in 5. That's probably not exact but it definitely makes me want to use a credit card over a debit card. I'm pretty religious about reviewing my bank account activity, but 2 business days isn't much time.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Knyteguy posted:

Are you sure? Generally the policy is the bank covers 100% of loss if you notify within 2 business days, something like 90% if within 3, and 50% in 5. That's probably not exact but it definitely makes me want to use a credit card over a debit card. I'm pretty religious about reviewing my bank account activity, but 2 business days isn't much time.

The policy is nothing like that; the amount you are responsible for is $0 if you used a Visa/MC (debit or credit) card and didn't enter your PIN, and it's also 0 for a debit card with a PIN if you notify the bank within 2 days of you noticing the card is missing.

The limit increases to $500 if you wait until after 2 days you realize the card is missing but within 60 days after the first statement appears. That's the federal law, but realistically:

http://usa.visa.com/personal/security/zero-liability.jsp
http://www.mastercard.us/zero-liability.html

Bisty Q. fucked around with this message at 04:07 on May 19, 2015

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Bisty Q. posted:

The policy is nothing like that; the amount you are responsible for is $0 if you used a Visa/MC (debit or credit) card and didn't enter your PIN, and it's also 0 for a debit card with a PIN if you notify the bank within 2 days of you noticing the card is missing.

The limit increases to $500 if you wait until after 2 days you realize the card is missing but within 60 days after the first statement appears. That's the federal law, but realistically:

http://usa.visa.com/personal/security/zero-liability.jsp
http://www.mastercard.us/zero-liability.html

Yea that's what I was referring to. I didn't realize that Visa still covered for a debit card however. That's good to know, as I was thinking of getting a credit card just for the protection.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Back in the dark days when I was wandering the personal finance wildlands (it's not like I had debt or anything, I just underspent my income so much that everything went into an ever-expanding checking account) I found out that I had been getting charged like $60/month by Experian for...something? This had gone on for like 11 months and I just never noticed since I rarely looked at bank stuff back then, and this was on a secondary checking account I looked at even less frequently. My bank made me whole on every single bad charge. Dunno if this was because of some banking regulation or they were just being nice, but in any event I appreciated the ~$700.

The happy postscript is that I'm much savvier with my finances now and so nothing like that will escape my notice for a week, let alone nearly a year.

Bellagio Sampler
Jul 2, 2007
Bitches don't know bout my additional pylons
Is there a good way to electronically transfer money monthly to another person's bank account without fees? My bank offers "Popmoney" which I think charges a dollar per transaction, but I'm more interested in zero.

Right now I use my bank's free bill pay feature that mails a check to the recipient. I'm hoping to save him a monthly trip to the bank. I wonder if you guys know of a good way to do it. PayPal gifting maybe?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Bellagio Sampler posted:

Is there a good way to electronically transfer money monthly to another person's bank account without fees? My bank offers "Popmoney" which I think charges a dollar per transaction, but I'm more interested in zero.

Right now I use my bank's free bill pay feature that mails a check to the recipient. I'm hoping to save him a monthly trip to the bank. I wonder if you guys know of a good way to do it. PayPal gifting maybe?
I use Venmo to split gifts with my brother when we're shopping for our parents. I've never had a problem with it.

Or, if the guy trusts you he can give you his account number and routing number and you can set up ACH transfers at your bank.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

I might be misremembering but sometimes you can send money directly if you both share the same bank. I think capital one 360 (formerly ING direct) does this. You could ask him what bank he has and then open an account there if they allow that.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Is that not a thing in the US? Here in the UK we can just set up a regular standing order to any other account free of charge. Weird.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Bellagio Sampler posted:

I use Google wallet for this. Works great, free, integrated with gmail.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Lady Gaza posted:

Is that not a thing in the US? Here in the UK we can just set up a regular standing order to any other account free of charge. Weird.

Buck fifty in Canada. :canada:

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
At my credit union if you set up ACH to another account you can also request funds from that account.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Lady Gaza posted:

All the large banks can do it.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Bellagio Sampler posted:

Not particularly useful for you, but Popmoney is actually pretty nice. I use it to send my Dad my portion of our wireless phone bill. He doesn't have to sign up for anything, confirm anything, or take any action whatsoever, it just shows up in his account. Ally Bank lets you send popmoney payments completely free though, I wouldn't actually use it for a $1.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
So, I need some advice here. The problem is basically that our rent is too high for our projected income starting in October.

So the options are to get a roommate or move. But we're very satisfied with our place and it's in a perfect spot for our plans so we don't want to move, but we can.

The get a roommate scenario will return 40-50% of our rent+utilities, which makes the place sustainably priced. But to do that, we need to open up more common space so we need to buy a couch. We already tried a used couch, but the only place for it is the basement around a tight bend, and geometry beat us and we had to sell the couch back (for a $30 profit). There are no couches that will fit down the stairs on Kijiji in our area, so we have to buy a new one and it has to be flat-packed. So, ikea.

The couch we're looking at is $1300. Buying the couch will save us 700-1000/month in rent and utilities, which sounds like a no brainer in favour of buying the couch. Should we buy the couch or just move out?

I'm just staring at that number, though. This'll be the most expensive item I've bought since my laptop last year. And the used market is SO MUCH BETTER. :ohdear:

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
BFC General/Daily discussion thread. Tuyop wants to pay $1300 for an IKEA couch.

See if your new roommate will split the cost?

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
I couldn't imagine paying $1,300 for a couch, especially since it if has to be flat-packed to even fit there that means it probably isn't coming out of the place.

MrKatharsis posted:

See if your new roommate will split the cost?

I would laugh at anyone who asked me to be a roommate and immediately hit me up for any significant portion of such a couch.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

As someone who has spent entirely too much time at IKEA recently, which couch is $1,300 dollars? Because Wow.

Needs to be flatpacked to move it in or just haul it to the house? Because if it's getting it to the house you can buy a 400 dollar couch and have it delivered for less than 100 bucks.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Post the couch tuyop.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
This loving thing. http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/S09840644/#/S89840621

It's $1300 because it's huge. And it's actually not too bad if the reviews are to be believed. We went and sat in it yesterday.

No Butt Stuff posted:

As someone who has spent entirely too much time at IKEA recently, which couch is $1,300 dollars? Because Wow.

Needs to be flatpacked to move it in or just haul it to the house? Because if it's getting it to the house you can buy a 400 dollar couch and have it delivered for less than 100 bucks.

To get it into the room (and out of when we leave in a few years).

I've considered the alternative of buying three of the tiny versions on Kijiji and then basically glueing them together to create a couch of sufficient size.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 27, 2015

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

tuyop posted:

I've considered the alternative of buying three of the tiny versions on Kijiji and then basically glueing them together to create a couch of sufficient size.
Hacking ikea furniture together in ways they didn't intend is a long and noble tradition.

Just buy two used ones and don't bother with the corner?

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
Sectionals are nice and all, but Jesus man, just settle for separate pieces.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Dead Pressed posted:

Put a lamp in the corner. Or a small table. Or a tasteful nude sculpture.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Dead Pressed posted:

That's not really the issue. We'd be fine with separate couches, the problem is finding a set of couches or single couch that can fit in the basement somehow and have enough space to comfortably accommodate another person.

I'm going to go buy the couch but yeah, thanks for the reality check. :(

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Bought gtx 970, with the Canadian dollar and taxes it was $480. The dollar is making tech toys damned expensive.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Those karlstad couches are nice, I have one. I will caution you that they are not meant for hambeasts to plop onto. They have a design flaw where the bottom of the couch crossbar at front is held by bolts and captive nuts in the armrests. The wood used to hold this tension can best be described as kraklin oat bran. I had to fix mine with a 2x4, some saw cuts, and 4 inch roberts self tapping wood screws and an impact driver.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Taco Box posted:

Those karlstad couches are nice, I have one. I will caution you that they are not meant for hambeasts to plop onto. They have a design flaw where the bottom of the couch crossbar at front is held by bolts and captive nuts in the armrests. The wood used to hold this tension can best be described as kraklin oat bran. I had to fix mine with a 2x4, some saw cuts, and 4 inch roberts self tapping wood screws and an impact driver.

How have the cushions held up? I built it yesterday and it's really firm and comfortable, and I kind of like knowing that if it breaks I can just peel off the covers and patch it up. Not to mention separating the back from the bottom to move it easily. This fit in my Mazda hatchback in two trips:

Also, the total cost was only 1100 instead of 1300 for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
I really hope your new roommate(s) don't barf and jizz all over it.