Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solartide
Oct 3, 2013

by XyloJW

HardKase posted:

This game is very pretty. It rubs well. The gryphon fight felt epic. I'm not far into it but it seems good. Are the nilfs always gonna be bastards?

From my experience so far, the nilfs are total bros. The guy who only wanted 30 bushels instead of 40, and the dudes who hung the arsonist.

I'm not a big fan of capital punishment here in California, because the appeal process keeps them alive until they die of old age anyway, but witcher? Find a tree, done. The guy admitted he did it out of pure malice after drinking devil water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
gently caress it I'll get the skill later or never. This is dumb.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
If that raven skull is for a spell that smashes peoples heads apart i'm going to be pissed.

Also, my horse has a griffin head dangling on the side of it. I thought I was supposed to give that to the one dude to prove I beat it.

Is that thing going to be dangling from my horse the rest of the game? It's a pretty big head!

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Playing on PS4 - do I want to simulate any Witcher 2 stuff? Any cool characters that are dead in a default world?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Installer craps out at second disc. I'm downloading GOG version now, but I hoped to play today :(
I'm also supposedly not the only person with that problem
http://www.gog.com/forum/the_witcher/help_witcher_3_installation_help_retail_copy

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
Just got my GTX 970 today, now I just need to wait for Amazon/Nvidia to send me my codes for both games, hurry up you fucks I need to witch :argh:

In addition to the card, I got an i5 4690 @3.5GHz, 8GB RAM, and I plan on running it on 1920x1080, Ultra, HBAO, and Hairworks on. Anybody else with a similar rig able to get decent FPS (say around 40+) with those settings?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Harlock posted:

Playing on PS4 - do I want to simulate any Witcher 2 stuff? Any cool characters that are dead in a default world?

You get asked questions about what happened to a lot of characters in the game if you select yes. Not right away, later on. I have no idea who any of them were so I just made poo poo up.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
Despite the Nillfgardian's being painted as bastards by everyone (minor spoilers I guess?) the game doesn't seem to want you to like Temarians either since basically every former Temarian soldier attacks you on sight. Granted they're deserters. This is only my experience in the White Orchard though.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I'm a child who can only play his new awesome games in the dark for maximum enjoyment. This was a problem with the release date in May and sundown being at 9 but thanks to tonight's storms I get to start as soon as I get home from work! Due to tonight's potential tornadoes however, I may lose progress to power outages or death.

Moral: Save early, save often, and always be safe!

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Is there a point to making alcohol? The spirits are more expensive than buying the alcohol outright and I don't find them very often. Unless you can craft those too, but I don't have any recipes yet.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Philthy posted:

If that raven skull is for a spell that smashes peoples heads apart i'm going to be pissed.

Also, my horse has a griffin head dangling on the side of it. I thought I was supposed to give that to the one dude to prove I beat it.

Is that thing going to be dangling from my horse the rest of the game? It's a pretty big head!

Your trophy slot is on your horse this time.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~

Feenix posted:

I have not killed the Griffin yet. Merely told Vesemir I am ready.

[edit] Regardless, can someone just tell me where it is, specifically, so I can get it, or know it's no longer there?

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
How do I get into the crypt area behind the Place of Power in the starting zone? I run past the wraith there and there is a gate that doesn't seem possible to open. Trying to get down there for the Scavenger Hunt: Viper Gear quest.

Solartide
Oct 3, 2013

by XyloJW

Mr. Funktastic posted:

Just got my GTX 970 today, now I just need to wait for Amazon/Nvidia to send me my codes for both games, hurry up you fucks I need to witch :argh:

In addition to the card, I got an i5 4690 @3.5GHz, 8GB RAM, and I plan on running it on 1920x1080, Ultra, HBAO, and Hairworks on. Anybody else with a similar rig able to get decent FPS (say around 40+) with those settings?

GTX970, i7 4770k@4.0 here.

1920x1080.

I also wanted Hairworks on. Running hairworks and all ultra settings was insufferable, I had to compromise with hbao and medium-high settings with some post processing disabled.

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Mr. Funktastic posted:

I feel your pain, in reverse. I got my codes and am all downloaded and ready to go. Just waiting for my new 970 to show up... On Thursday.. :smith:

Tempted to click that launch button anyway to see what kind of poo poo show it would be on my ol' 6850.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
So is GMG's 27% off the best price for this? I really don't want to spend $60.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Timett posted:

How do I get into the crypt area behind the Place of Power in the starting zone? I run past the wraith there and there is a gate that doesn't seem possible to open. Trying to get down there for the Scavenger Hunt: Viper Gear quest.

Throw Aard at the door.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Edit: Doublepost.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Timett posted:

Nevermind looked like killing the wraith did it. It was like level 7 and I'm level 3 so I was trying to steer clear. Kinda dumb but I'm on my way!

edit: I tried Aard like 9 times. Didn't work

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice

Solartide posted:

GTX970, i7 4770k@4.0 here.

1920x1080.

I also wanted Hairworks on. Running hairworks and all ultra settings was insufferable, I had to compromise with hbao and medium-high settings with some post processing disabled.

Insufferable meaning <30 FPS? Looking at Nvidia's tweak guide, it kinda seems like there aren't many significant differences between ultra and high, so maybe I can try shooting for that. I'd like to try and have Hairworks on if possible, it just looks so dang pretty on monsters.

Baron posted:

I feel your pain, in reverse. I got my codes and am all downloaded and ready to go. Just waiting for my new 970 to show up... On Thursday.. :smith:

Tempted to click that launch button anyway to see what kind of poo poo show it would be on my ol' 6850.

Harsh, we'll reach the promised land soon enough! I thought they usually send game codes a few days after it's delivered though? Or is it a few days after it ships?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
5 more minutes until I get to go home and play this and oh look its midnight.

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Mr. Funktastic posted:

Harsh, we'll reach the promised land soon enough! I thought they usually send game codes a few days after it's delivered though? Or is it a few days after it ships?

I got mine from Newegg and they sent me codes today. My card shipped yesterday. No idea about Amazon, sorry bro.

Solartide
Oct 3, 2013

by XyloJW

Mr. Funktastic posted:

I got my code the day before I got my card.

Insufferable as in I couldn't pan the camera smoothly and it was affecting gameplay.

EDIT: Also Newegg here.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Which difficulty setting are you all playing on? I tried Death March and couldn't hang with it, so I bumped it down to the next one (I think Blood and Bones), but even this seems like it's fairly challenging. Then again, I'm still in the starter area.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.
After getting destroyed on Death March I cranked it down one and I'm pretty happy with Blood and Broken Bones as it is still pretty regularly kicking my rear end (the griffin fight was tough as hell.)

Having imported my save for the dumb tattoo I'm happy that some of the past is mentioned in the royal palace when you're talking to the ambassador who said that Kaedwen was weak because Henselt is dead. But I'm curious can anyone who's imported a Iorveth save let me know if the fate of Saskia's little state is mentioned if you save her? I'm just kinda hoping the plucky Vergenis didn't get completely crushed.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
So I'm guessing with a 660Ti card on a 1920x1200 monitor I should probably just get this for my PS4 instead of the PC?

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill

CrusherEAGLE posted:

At the end of the griffin quest, I turned down the money instead of taking it. Does this impact anything at all later? Or did I just make a dumb decision?

You getg 500 XP instead of 300 XP if you turn down the gold. At least that's what happened to me on Death March. I didn't get an Amethyst from him, that's the Well Wraith Quest Dude that does that if you tell him to keep the Orens for his daughter.

e. derp someone already answered this. I somewhow skipped a page.

Archimago fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 19, 2015

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Thanks for this.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
aaand now the game froze when I selected the "negotiate fee for monster killing" dialog option. Nvidia power management set to full power and vsync off, so that's not helping.

Fosson
Feb 26, 2011

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I might just not pay close enough attention, but it seems like there is some kind of big disconnect between witcher 2 and the third one. Like, there were people and witches and a dragon but suddenly we are chasing down yennifer and there are suddenly good witchers again?

Really the only thing that seems to have connected it is that the world is going to poo poo and a sorceress hinted that Yennifer is still around

Also to add what has been stated, Geralt was almost bound into events leading to the start of W2. It makes sense that after the end, he goes back to his Witcher bros and starts a new trail; only because the team originally split up in W1 and never had a chance to get back in touch

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I should have told this stupid sorceress to leave when she got scared of the rats, she keeps knocking the boss out of Axii.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
I've played 4hrs and had 3 crashes so far :argh:

The default key bindings are bullshit too - alt as dodge?

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

WastedJoker posted:

The default key bindings are bullshit too - alt as dodge?

Yeah thats the first thing I wanted to change

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice

Baron posted:

I got mine from Newegg and they sent me codes today. My card shipped yesterday. No idea about Amazon, sorry bro.

Solartide posted:

I got my code the day before I got my card.

Insufferable as in I couldn't pan the camera smoothly and it was affecting gameplay.

EDIT: Also Newegg here.

Guess I know where to get my products next time Nvidia (or any other company) has an offer like that, although the card did apply for Amazon Prime and I couldn't pass up free shipping. I'll probably give it a few days before I start emailing them about it. Amazon :doom:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

So how the gently caress do I use the crossbow? The game does not seem to want to tell me how.

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

Genocyber posted:

So how the gently caress do I use the crossbow? The game does not seem to want to tell me how.

Tab to select, then middle mouse

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

A BIG loving BLUNT posted:

Tab to select, then middle mouse

I'm playing on PS4 so that's not helpful at all. That said, the game actually decided to proc the tutorial after I re-loaded the save so w/e.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
e: Actually first first make sure you equip it from your inventory.

First open your radial menu with L1 and select the crossbow in the lower section. Then using it requires pressing R1, but I've never actually used it so I don't know exactly how you aim or w/e. I assume R1 enters aiming and releasing R1 shoots.

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

Genocyber posted:

I'm playing on PS4 so that's not helpful at all. That said, the game actually decided to proc the tutorial after I re-loaded the save so w/e.

Whoops sorry! Well in my defense you didn't specify. Also PC Master Race or something something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Thank you CDPR for making the startup splashscreens skippable