Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

admataY
Oct 16, 2008
I wanna know who played the first two witcher games and decided that whats really missing is degradable equipment that needs constant repair .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Christ I'm bad at this game. I thought Bloodborne destroyed me but no, it's THIS game.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
Well the first major fight in the game against the Royal Griffin took me, like, 30 tries; although the winning attempt I got hit so little I didn't need to use any Swallow so I think it was mostly just me being thick.

What has been tripping me up a lot is that I don't think either the quick hop or the roll has any invincibility frames in this game. Too much Bloodborne prior to W3 coming out has given me the wrong sense of timing; I keep trying to dodge through attacks and get smacked in the face for my trouble. When I tried using the roll to reposition more frequently a bit before an attack even happens, it got a lot easier.

Also I remembered I had made a bunch of bombs so the last 20% came down to me just throwing them at it's face (and in the case of Dragon's Dream then setting them on fire) until it fell over.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Where do you get bomb components?

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

WastedJoker posted:

I've played 4hrs and had 3 crashes so far :argh:

The default key bindings are bullshit too - alt as dodge?

A BIG loving BLUNT posted:

Yeah thats the first thing I wanted to change

http://www.gosunoob.com/witcher-3/how-to-rebind-keys-in-witcher-3/

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Speedball posted:

Where do you get bomb components?

It's exactly the same method as potions, right down to refilling them. They're explosive potions essentially.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

turtlecrunch posted:

e: Actually first first make sure you equip it from your inventory.

First open your radial menu with L1 and select the crossbow in the lower section. Then using it requires pressing R1, but I've never actually used it so I don't know exactly how you aim or w/e. I assume R1 enters aiming and releasing R1 shoots.

Yeah the tutorial actually proc'd this time so I figured it out, thanks tho.

Another question; when restocking potions with meditation, I assume you need the type of alcohol used to make the potion, not just any, right? And you just need one for a full refill?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

This game still has that weird enemy selection problem. No I don't want to fight that drowner just because it wandered into view, I just wanna kill this water hag.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Genocyber posted:

Yeah the tutorial actually proc'd this time so I figured it out, thanks tho.

Another question; when restocking potions with meditation, I assume you need the type of alcohol used to make the potion, not just any, right? And you just need one for a full refill?

No, any alcohol - so try and keep a bunch of cheap ones on hand like Alcohest so it doesn't use your dwarven spirit. You only need one to refill all your bombs, oils, potions, etc.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Wow, I just realized how massive the second area actually is. I've been here for 4, maybe 5 hours, and maybe explored 10-15% of it.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Broken Cog posted:

Wow, I just realized how massive the second area actually is. I've been here for 4, maybe 5 hours, and maybe explored 10-15% of it.

Yeah, I thought I had explored a decent amount but then I realized it was made up of a bunch of islands. There's so much poo poo to do.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill
So I found both of the Serpentine swords in White Orchard but I am told there is a Serpentine Armor as well. Anyone stumble across it and remember where they found it?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Pylons posted:

No, any alcohol - so try and keep a bunch of cheap ones on hand like Alcohest so it doesn't use your dwarven spirit. You only need one to refill all your bombs, oils, potions, etc.

That is super goddamn convenient.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Lord Lambeth posted:

This game still has that weird enemy selection problem. No I don't want to fight that drowner just because it wandered into view, I just wanna kill this water hag.

I noticed this in the initial fight against the huge ghoul group. but it turns out that i was hitting left and right on the right stick of my controller, which switched lockon targets. Stopped doing that and it stayed stuck on one guy no matter where he was in relation to me.

Or are you meaning that it does a kinda lockon effect regardless of if you're actually locked onto an enemy in the first place?

Lobstertainment
Jun 10, 2004

Danith posted:

So I'm guessing with a 660Ti card on a 1920x1200 monitor I should probably just get this for my PS4 instead of the PC?

I'm at 1080p but nah, I've got the same card and getting 40-50 fps with a mix of high and medium. Let me know and I'll post my settings.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008
Man, this game is bitch hard on Blood and Broken Bones if you make any mistakes whatsoever. Death March absolutely terrifies me. Combat is like playing Dark Souls only more fun in basically every way. The preparation, exploration, crafting, all of it is phenomenal.

Meiteron posted:

Well the first major fight in the game against the Royal Griffin took me, like, 30 tries; although the winning attempt I got hit so little I didn't need to use any Swallow so I think it was mostly just me being thick.

What has been tripping me up a lot is that I don't think either the quick hop or the roll has any invincibility frames in this game. Too much Bloodborne prior to W3 coming out has given me the wrong sense of timing; I keep trying to dodge through attacks and get smacked in the face for my trouble. When I tried using the roll to reposition more frequently a bit before an attack even happens, it got a lot easier.

Also I remembered I had made a bunch of bombs so the last 20% came down to me just throwing them at it's face (and in the case of Dragon's Dream then setting them on fire) until it fell over.

The second tier defense talent gives you damage reduction while dodging; I am absolutely pumping every point possible to max that out ASAP since it goes to 100%.

WastedJoker posted:

I've played 4hrs and had 3 crashes so far :argh:

The default key bindings are bullshit too - alt as dodge?
The NVIDIA drivers since like two months ago have been loving terrible. I've literally had the video driver crash logging into Windows after I updated from the March version. I cannot overstate how bad they are.

phourniner
Feb 19, 2007

When you're in a town like this all covered with smoke, you forget that there's a world outside. Nothing amazing happens here. And you get used to that, used to a world where everything is ordinary. Every day we spend here is like a whole lifetime of dying slowly.

So I'm in an area next to the Mill signpost in White Orchard, there were a bunch of Deserters to the northeast of the sign by a windmill, and a there's little house you can go in and down some stairs. There were boxes and chests down there, including one that needs a key to open. Anyone know where to find the key? I looted everything and found nothing.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

So I'm in Velen and some kind of heart/tree monster wants me to let it loose, so it can stop a painting from eating children. On the one hand, I was already getting serious Hansel and Gretel[/spoiler vibes from this questline. On the other hand, this thing is terrifyingly ugly and it'd be just like the Witcher to gently caress you for taking the obviously "good" option. Plus, [spoiler]the painting's the one offering info on Ciri.

Am currently leaning towards letting the kids get et, on the grounds that no matter what I do this is going to end in tears. :witchermorality:

Also: werewolves are loving bullshit. :shepicide:

Also bullshit: every enemy in this game. :saddowns:

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Finally out of the tutorial area, sitting at just over 6 hours.

This loving game. I'm really glad I finished my dissertation before this motherfucker came out.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Man, the (contract spoiler) cockatrice does not gently caress around. :stare:

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
A witcher might use super drugs, bombs, crossbows and magic to even the odds but stabbing someone in the groin is mean. :ohdear:

Geralt slicing someone's shoulder and thigh off and sending them into orbit was another spectacle I wasn't prepared for.

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine
I keep getting my rear end kicked in Gwen. How do I get better cards?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Any advice for a good second skillpoint? I got sun and stars for the first...

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

In the cave for Wandering in the Dark, I found a big pile of rocks behind a breakable wall. The rocks have a spiral sort of symbol - can I do anything to them?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Feenix posted:

Any advice for a good second skillpoint? I got sun and stars for the first...

You can be quite sure you will be stabbing things with your fast attack in every build, so you can be sure Muscle Memory is one skill that won't go to waste no matter what.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~

CrusherEAGLE posted:

I keep getting my rear end kicked in Gwen. How do I get better cards?

Buy them from merchants, win them from shittier card players. Almost every inn/merchant dude is up for a game of Gwen, besides the quest highlighted players.

By the way, how much does the Witcher world draw from Slavic mythology?

theDOWmustflow fucked around with this message at 00:15 on May 20, 2015

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Holy gently caress is blood and bone setting hard. One mistake and I lose like half my health and this just against drowners in the tutorial zone. What dodge key is everyone using? Alt is crap.

ShadowMoo fucked around with this message at 00:17 on May 20, 2015

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

phourniner posted:

So I'm in an area next to the Mill signpost in White Orchard, there were a bunch of Deserters to the northeast of the sign by a windmill, and a there's little house you can go in and down some stairs. There were boxes and chests down there, including one that needs a key to open. Anyone know where to find the key? I looted everything and found nothing.

Bridge to the West.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

admataY posted:

I wanna know who played the first two witcher games and decided that whats really missing is degradable equipment that needs constant repair .

Yeah I havent started playing yet, but this first thing imma do is cheat a bunch of gold for repairs or mod that poo poo out.
Degrading equipment has been a terrible idea since.. System Shock 2? Even they added an ini option to turn it off with the first patch.

phourniner
Feb 19, 2007

When you're in a town like this all covered with smoke, you forget that there's a world outside. Nothing amazing happens here. And you get used to that, used to a world where everything is ordinary. Every day we spend here is like a whole lifetime of dying slowly.

Junkenstein posted:

Bridge to the West.

Many thanks!

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

I've encountered a new icon that I don't know how to deal with. Anyone seen this before and know how to get rid of this rock wall?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

admataY posted:

This is the one thing I absolutely hate about his game, it wasn't needed at all.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Comrade Flynn posted:

In the cave for Wandering in the Dark, I found a big pile of rocks behind a breakable wall. The rocks have a spiral sort of symbol - can I do anything to them?

Nevermind, shortly after you get a device that explains it.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

wins32767 posted:

I've encountered a new icon that I don't know how to deal with. Anyone seen this before and know how to get rid of this rock wall?

See my post above.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

poptart_fairy posted:

The only thing I think is silly in combat is how enemies will suddenly stop reacting to your attacks in several combos, hitting you for pretty significant damage.

This bugs me too. There's no hint, they don't block, they just stop and lightning attack to kill me.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Is there a relatively TW3-spoiler-free list of ALL flags for an imported save? Not the save sim but actually bringing in my Witcher 2 save. I'm curious as to what all minor things I'm bringing in besides the major ones you get asked in the save sim.

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
Maybe it's been answered before but -

Do I get less xp for playing on harder difficulties? How much less? I want to play on Blood & Broken Bones, but if it means I'll end up leveling much slower I may reconsider.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Some real disturbing imagery in this game, first the crones, then the botchling :gonk:

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

So we're sure that bigger monsters like griffins and poo poo respawn right? Don't want to burn those reagents if they don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I can't for the life of me find the herbalist in White Orchard.