Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

qntm posted:

it's possible you were thinking of lync??

Lync is in fact worse than hitler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

uncurable mlady posted:

im not really convinced EF is all that bad tho, shaggars way of doing things seems like it adds several layers of complexity in exchange for nebulous benefits
you know it's not just shaggar, right? the object-relational impedance mismatch has had millions of words written about it. not saying up and up shaggar's right or wrong (i am Bad at db poo poo), but ORMs definitely have their issues

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Valeyard posted:

did you do the interview sulk?
i don't think he did

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

coffeetable posted:

you know it's not just shaggar, right? the object-relational impedance mismatch has had millions of words written about it. not saying up and up shaggar's right or wrong (i am Bad at db poo poo), but ORMs definitely have their issues

yeah but i dont see anyone else here carrying the banner against ORMs

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
djangos ORM is mega ownage

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

Shaggar posted:

EF adds massive complexity vs using a statement mapper.

wot do u use for db versioning

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

uncurable mlady posted:

yeah but i dont see anyone else here carrying the banner against ORMs

except lots of people have agreed with shaggar on this front? we're just not as militant about it.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
orms are awful

source: i used activerecord in a couple of apps. it was Bad.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
no worse than the rest of ruby on rails, really

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Anime Sandwich posted:

nothing right now. it kind of sucks but there aren't any good tools for it in sql server

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe
I thought even something like Liquibase would work since it has a cli that you can script with

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
liquibase is kind of pointless unless your maintaining some pseudo-schema for use across multiple databases.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

uncurable mlady posted:

DOM my neg rear end

jesus.

also orms are questionable. i guess they're okay if you treat your db like dumb storage but that's a huge waste?

unless you're using mysql in which case yes, your storage is definitely dumb.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

shaggar... was... right...! *explodes like a gundam*

hold on, I have to invent my own no-SQL database where everything is just stored in flat text files to leverage the read speed of modern SSDs

I'll call it the Cloud Storage Volumizer

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

coffeetable posted:

the people carrying the banner agains ORMa typically fall into a few camps:

- they have a large DB against which many heterogeneous apps will be written. using an ORM to provide a nice API for apps won't help much because only some apps will get to use it.

- they have business logic in the DB and have only used ORMs with poor support for that. it can be done well, it's a drawback of individual frameworks not ORMs in general.

- they want to do reporting using the same techniques as app development. "the ORM is hard to use to do reports!" so don't use it, use reporting tools.

- they have used really lovely frameworks that claim to be ORMs without offering the bulk of ORM features (ActiveRecord).

- they don't bother to learn the framework they tried and then when something doesn't work like they naively expect (multithreading) they blame the framework or the entire ORM concept.

- they have a couple of very specific cases for which issuing an UPDATE ... WHERE will work better than interacting with objects. (mark-all-as-read, batch deletion, etc.)

my experience the past decade has been with SQLite and Core Data (I worked on it) in desktop and mobile apps. most of the issues I see boil down to people trying to use Core Data as if it were a wrapper around SQLite rather than a way of interacting with collections of objects that may not all be in-memory. most of the rest of the issues I see are due to developers tossing objects between threads behind the framework's back, rather than using the framework's threading support. very few are actually due to ORM not being a good fit for the application.

on the other hand, most uses of SQLite that I see wind up evolving into a reimplementation of portions of an ORM. and then more of an ORM. and then a rewrite to deal with the parts of an ORM that were implemented incorrectly because they started as a wrapper rather than an ORM. and then...

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

eschaton posted:

my experience the past decade has been with SQLite and Core Data (I worked on it) in desktop and mobile apps. most of the issues I see boil down to people trying to use Core Data as if it were a wrapper around SQLite rather than a way of interacting with collections of objects that may not all be in-memory. most of the rest of the issues I see are due to developers tossing objects between threads behind the framework's back, rather than using the framework's threading support. very few are actually due to ORM not being a good fit for the application.

that's a good point, I use core data and don't even really think of it as an ORM, but that's because i treat it like its own data store with its own query language

i've heard it came a long way before i got around to touching it, i heard tons of horror stories but it's been very needs-suiting for my app

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

also because i'm lazy please link me to something related to how to do threads with core data because i'm just now starting to reach the point where i might want to save data on a background thread and all i know right now is "there be dragons if you try to pass an object to a different thread than the context it was fetched from"

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

eschaton posted:

this makes YOU sound like the outlier rather than everyone else.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
ATTN SHAGGAR OR SOMEONE:

HOW DO I MAKE THIS KAFKA THING WORK IN MY CODE

https://github.com/spring-projects/spring-integration-kafka

all of these configuration exaples don't make any sense to me. like i guess i put the xml somewhere and put some annotation on the main application class and then it will read the xml and ~magically~ create these classes or something??

and then I put @Bean on top of other things and somehow it knows what I mean by @Bean?

Seriously gently caress dependency injection frameworks. DI is cool when it's a way to write your code to make it easy to test and an emphasis on interfaces but it's EXTREMELY BAD when it's like worse than a ruby dsl

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 00:07 on May 20, 2015

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i seriously think it's going to be easier to just use the kafka client provided by apache

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
jesus christ i did it in 10 minutes with the really intimidating looking kafka client provided by apache. gently caress you bean injector

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

apache spark + kafka is pretty cool

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

bean injector

don't post ur mums pet name for me thanks

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Dessert Rose posted:

also because i'm lazy please link me to something related to how to do threads with core data because i'm just now starting to reach the point where i might want to save data on a background thread and all i know right now is "there be dragons if you try to pass an object to a different thread than the context it was fetched from"

I don't have any direct links handy but I think the docs should have details about how to structure that using child contexts. I think Marcus Zarra also wrote a blog post about it.

also, you want to use Core Data's built-in queue mechanism and treat -[NSManagedObjectContext init] as if it doesn't exist. (use the variants that let you specify a concurrency type instead.)

it sounds like you have the right attitude towards multithreading in Core Data: learn how it works, then follow the recommendations. too many people just start throwing things on background threads or queues and blame the framework when their broken code is broken. I'll grant that before OS X 10.7 and iOS 5 introduced child contexts, Core Data concurrency was much more subtle, but the "Core Data isn't thread-safe" canard has always been silly; it was designed for multithreading from the start.

I don't know how Entity Framework handles any of this stuff but given that it's in most ways a clone of Core Data (which is itself a successor to Enterprise Objects Framework) I'd expect there to be some similarity.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

St Evan Echoes posted:

never realised how much i lean on linq until i started rewriting a package from c# to java

thought it would take 5 minutes, looks like ill be here all day
java 8 supposedly has collections w/ lazily evaluating higher order functions so you can move beyond for loop janitoring

if you need linq as expression trees passed into iqueryables well youre prolly hosed then

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

iirc our problems weren't that Core Data was unsafe, just that moving objects between threads was brutal for performance. it's been a while, though.

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
is there an eli5 of every big data database thing i dont know about. i dont know anything about any of them. like maybe a guide that differentiates each one from postgresql capabilities

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

Flat Daddy posted:

is there an eli5 of every big data database thing i dont know about. i dont know anything about any of them. like maybe a guide that differentiates each one from postgresql capabilities

they aren't necessary in 99.9999% of the cases people use them for

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
but there's so many of them

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

ATTN SHAGGAR OR SOMEONE:

all of these configuration exaples don't make any sense to me. like i guess i put the xml somewhere and put some annotation on the main application class and then it will read the xml and ~magically~ create these classes or something??

and then I put @Bean on top of other things and somehow it knows what I mean by @Bean?

Seriously gently caress dependency injection frameworks. DI is cool when it's a way to write your code to make it easy to test and an emphasis on interfaces but it's EXTREMELY BAD when it's like worse than a ruby dsl

its using gradle instead of maven. abort! abort!

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer

Shaggar posted:

At work we use a transactional model cause we literally get paid through reporting. We have a bunch of different apps that can all share the same core transaction design and then have individual related transaction tables with data specific to that app. So I can write procs that are reusable by all apps to generate common data, and then app specific procs to do more stuff. it makes our data really high quality which is far more important than maybe saving a few minutes of coding time.

Shaggar posted:

Anime Sandwich posted:

nothing right now. it kind of sucks but there aren't any good tools for it in sql server
:stare:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

iirc our problems weren't that Core Data was unsafe, just that moving objects between threads was brutal for performance. it's been a while, though.

you mean passing object IDs between threads, of course. :cop:

nested contexts can help a lot for that because objects can more easily and safely share (immutable) state behind the scenes. using NSFetchRequest well to pre-fetch relationships will also help with performance.

basically, I can understand when companies like Facebook. Google, Microsoft do their own thing instead of Core Data, they can afford to invest in the area and might even have solid integration-level reasons to do so. (eg most of the app is in C++ and cross platform so they want a C++ data layer too.)

it's when some random James working on their own starts reinventing the world that I think they're probably going the wrong way. even a co whose main business isn't data probably shouldn't be doing things like that, and should use solution that already exists.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

someone tell me what gradle is

opt
Oct 10, 2007

PokeJoe posted:

an alternative to maven that uses groovy for its build file rather than xml

opt
Oct 10, 2007

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

ATTN SHAGGAR OR SOMEONE:

in 2015, you should never be using xml configuration with spring

spring DI is fantastic

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

opt posted:

an alternative to maven that uses groovy for its build file rather than xml

its the new default in android studio

we are a 'buck' shop which i wouldnt have any problems w/ except i dont have the slightest idea how to use it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

PokeJoe posted:

its dumb crap for idiots who don't understand why everyone moved from ant to maven

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

idk why jave cant just use a makefile like everybody else

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

ATTN SHAGGAR OR SOMEONE:

seems like it'd be prone to big, grotesque bugs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opt
Oct 10, 2007

Shaggar posted:

its dumb crap for idiots who don't understand why everyone moved from ant to maven

our build.gradle files are just a list of plugins and dependencies...i guess it would suck if people just use it as a place to ad hoc script some build poo poo

• Locked thread