Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Has she? She's made some pretty impressive jumps but I don't remember flying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, up until now she's only ever jumped. Flying is new.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
She said "time to fly" when she first realized she had powers. So she says it again now that she actually can.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Okay that's kind of awesome that she can fly now and I wonder if that was Patricks idea all along.

Also, pretty sure she's never flown before.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

SynthOrange posted:

She's flown before.

When she crushed that dude with a robot then flew off.
That was jumping hella high, which is different.

Also Patrick's present was really sweet and this had better not be the last we see of him.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Man, I just noticed the blood on Patrick's hand.

I do like that we get an explanation for Alison's shock so soon. She thought he'd duck, which makes total sense. .

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?
What exactly was Patrick's game plan going into this?

"I'm going to use my telepathy to make you super mad at me oh by the way here's a touching memento of our time together"?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Cryophage posted:

What exactly was Patrick's game plan going into this?

He pretty much had none.

He didn't invite Alison with the goal of making her mad; making her mad was just a panic reaction when she started making him uncomfortable.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So it looks like Allison is falling back hard on the superhero habits despite her words. Yeah, this is not going to end well for her.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Yeah, he presumably got the gift in advance of their meeting, intending to give it to her next time he saw her. He didn't know why she wanted to meet so urgently because he's been far away from her; he didn't find out she wanted Moonshadow until she arrived at his office. And then, well, we saw how things went from there.

I really like this page. "Why couldn't you just duck", she asks, because it would have been a hell of a lot easier for her if he had. And the detail that he not only has the thing, he's gluing it back together, my god.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

idonotlikepeas posted:

"Why couldn't you just duck", she asks
And we know the answer: he couldn't duck because it was a rabbit cup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-k5J4RxQdE

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
If this entire series is leading up to Patrick winning over Alison by means of a wabbit season/duck season gambit all of its faults will be forgiven.
e: to be clear, I mean winning over in a supervillain sense, not a romantic sense. If they do get together they're going to have to seriously work for it.

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 20, 2015

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Alison the big dumb goober posted:

Why couldn't you just duck?

Why couldn't you just not throw the drat thing at his face in the first place

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

ManlyGrunting posted:

If this entire series is leading up to Patrick winning over Alison by means of a wabbit season/duck season gambit all of its faults will be forgiven.

On a serious note, I don't see Patrick winning her over, that ship has sailed. But I do see Allison easing up on the whole "I've decided to completely ruin you now" bit once she fully realizes that he's just a messed up kid like pretty much everyone else. That is a backstep for her, especially after her last interactions with cleaver, feral, etc. I mean this is the same chapter where she learned about how she was oblivious about how all her super hero "friends" were suffering while she was just doing her own thing without giving a drat about them. That has to be intentional.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

In a way, this entire chapter is a step back for her. She gave up the superhero business because she didn't think it was doing any real good in the long term to go around and punch things, and now she's going through so much effort to track down a villain on her own, as if her personal ability to punch things really hard will make her so much better at solving the case than the actual investigators.

And for all the talking at her people have been doing, none of what people are saying is actually doing anything.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I'm still not sure what was supposed to be communicated about Patrick in that whole scene. The idea of Patrick's powers was always difficult to write about coherently without fully exploring it, but until this chapter they'd done a good job with it. All of a sudden they seem to have bludgeoned the concept into a form that makes no sense and contradicts all the previous work they'd done. If Patrick's meant to represent some sort of utilitarian standpoint on these things, he's just a really bad example of it. If he's supposed to lack self-reflection (as some sort of "defect" that would make the "read your own mind" question meaningful), then it wouldn't explain his high levels of apparent self-awareness in previous chapters- or why that should be some big reveal. If this is all a puppetmaster routine, it doesn't really demonstrate it.

I have no idea why the authors decided to frame the whole thing with baby's first discussion of time travel ethics and moral horizons, either. I still can't tell if he's supposed to have actually ordered the execution of random side characters from earlier in the story, or if it's supposed to be a bluff, or what.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 20, 2015

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Strong Female Protagonist: Throwing Fair-Trade, Looney Tunes Coffee Cups at The Man

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Patrick had a tenth as much impact across his entire rant as he does supergluing a broken coffee mug.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
There are people in the comments section arguing over whether Patrick's method of gluing the mug back together is cultural appropriation.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I know I'll regret this, but how is gluing something back together cultural appropriation?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Somebody said the mug would be a good candidate for kintsugi, the Japanese art of repairing pottery with gold. But they said at the same time that it would be cultural appropriation to do so. It's always striking to me that some people fervently believe that you aren't morally allowed to do certain kinds of art unless you're a certain race.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
There was even a "It's not my job to educate you" involved.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Wittgen posted:

Somebody said the mug would be a good candidate for kintsugi, the Japanese art of repairing pottery with gold. But they said at the same time that it would be cultural appropriation to do so. It's always striking to me that some people fervently believe that you aren't morally allowed to do certain kinds of art unless you're a certain race.

Spike Lee agrees, white people aren't allowed to make movies about black people

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Is he still really mad at Tarantino?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Wittgen posted:

Well as a member of the Aleut tribe, it's ok for everyone to learn our art style and use it to make art. You want to make one of those intestine raincoats, I ain't stopping you. In the mood to make a canoe out of bark? Go buck wild, it's cool.

Atmus posted:

There was even a "It's not my job to educate you" involved.

This is a thing nobody has ever said to me in person.

Atmus posted:

Is he still really mad at Tarantino?

Django was awesome.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Taking ideas that aren't "culturally part of your heritage" has been a thing since a fish tried getting in on that "legs" thing that bugs were crazy about.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

In the mood to make a canoe out of bark? Go buck wild, it's cool.

Cool, thanks!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm still not sure what was supposed to be communicated about Patrick in that whole scene. The idea of Patrick's powers was always difficult to write about coherently without fully exploring it, but until this chapter they'd done a good job with it. All of a sudden they seem to have bludgeoned the concept into a form that makes no sense and contradicts all the previous work they'd done. If Patrick's meant to represent some sort of utilitarian standpoint on these things, he's just a really bad example of it. If he's supposed to lack self-reflection (as some sort of "defect" that would make the "read your own mind" question meaningful), then it wouldn't explain his high levels of apparent self-awareness in previous chapters- or why that should be some big reveal. If this is all a puppetmaster routine, it doesn't really demonstrate it.

I have no idea why the authors decided to frame the whole thing with baby's first discussion of time travel ethics and moral horizons, either. I still can't tell if he's supposed to have actually ordered the execution of random side characters from earlier in the story, or if it's supposed to be a bluff, or what.

This more or less expresses something I've been struggling with putting into words. I have no idea how to read Patrick's character right now. This entire office scene seems completely at odds with his presentation elsewhere, and not even particularly consistent with itself.

I guess wait and see for now :shrug:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Everything about the mindreader seemed reasonable until they made him absolutely brainless.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
Speaking of Looney Toons moments, she had herself one there.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Hollismason posted:

Okay that's kind of awesome that she can fly now and I wonder if that was Patricks idea all along.

Also, pretty sure she's never flown before.

Was the angry levitation thing new as well? I don't recall her doing that before.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's all new.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Leper Residue posted:

Speaking of Looney Toons moments, she had herself one there.

Yep because in the same chapter where people have been brutally murdered, no less than 4 people have espoused their personal philosophies, or hero has been tracking down said murderer, and it's been revealed that the mind reader can't read his own mind; it's never too late for a little levity. Glad to see the authors always give Allison the little boost she needs to make it through those hard times.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Why am I not surprised that a chapter that originally focused on murder, rape related issues, and how different people choose to handle social problems has devolved into focusing on Allison and fluffing her character? I don't care if the next page is inevitably going to be Allison breaking down as she realizes that the person she loves is an emotionless manipulator and her former comrade is a murderer, none of this matters in the greater context of the chapter and it's just a diversion from the real plot.

Someone said this a while back in the thread but the high water mark was the chapter with Feral.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Was Allison's mom always one of them bird people from Zelda

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Comic needs an editor

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
You just know that the government has that line tapped and this call has initiated a panicked emergency meeting.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Serious Frolicking posted:

You just know that the government has that line tapped and this call has initiated a panicked emergency meeting.

No kidding, a whole family of possums?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Let's spend all of the following update on possums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Surrounding Mega-Girl's home and family with cute, soothing animals seems like a pretty reasonable use of taxpayer money, obviously.

• Locked thread