Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Nonsense posted:

Please stop using loving kiddo, you're not fishmech.

Thank you for the links, further reading ahoy!

Fishmech uses 'kid' or 'child', I'm trying something new and innovative.

Ed: you also might find http://www.federalreserve.gov/releases/housedebt/ interesting, that's the percentage of disposable income spent on debt service. It's very low compared to what it used to be. People tightened their belts after the Great Recession.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

uncurable mlady posted:

Fishmech uses 'kid' or 'child', I'm trying something new and innovative.

Would it be annoying to call people initiate?

"Wages have stagnated since the 70s, initiate."

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

uncurable mlady posted:

Obviously, the people that aren't doing that are the ones making at or near the median income because they don't have enough money to. It's reasonable to assume, however, that individuals who are currently making minimum wage and living paycheck to paycheck (or not) wouldn't simply start spending more money in order to continue living paycheck to paycheck; they might increase their debt service to free up more money later down the line, they might save more money so they have a cash cushion in case of emergencies, etc. etc.

That's certainly theoretically possible but certainly you aren't suggesting that would be average behavior right? Most people I know have much more disposable income than a minimum wage earner but I still don't know a single person so frugal that in the event of a raise they would put it all into savings rather then spending more.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

We really need to institute a rule that you have to post a transcript showing you passed Econ 101 with a C or better before posting about the minimum wage.

Behold the dark future of ivory tower liberalism itt.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

YOU HAVE COME TO A WORLD CALLED ACADEMIA *whipcrack*

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Behold the dark future of ivory tower liberalism itt.

When you reach the point where you're explaining fifth grade math to the dude you're arguing with it becomes very frustrating very quickly.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Nonsense posted:

Would it be annoying to call people initiate?

"Wages have stagnated since the 70s, initiate."

i dig it

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

MaxxBot posted:

That's certainly theoretically possible but certainly you aren't suggesting that would be average behavior right? Most people I know have much more disposable income than a minimum wage earner but I still don't know a single person so frugal that in the event of a raise they would put it all into savings rather then spending more.

I'd argue, in general, that people would do one of several things -

1. Reduce their overall workload, maintain the same real income. Time is valuable, after all, and in many cases it may be preferable to continue living at the same income level while freeing up more time for personal pursuits or to reduce associated costs that were necessitated by having multiple jobs (ex: single mother working two+ part time jobs, if suddenly she could work one job (or work both, but fewer hours) at the same income then she might be able to take that extra time and not have to pay for child care, etc.)

2. Maintain current workload, increase debt service/savings/start investing/some other activity that wouldn't necessarily increase economic growth.

3. Maintain current workload, increase spending to match new income level.

4. Some combination of the above.

People are weird and not entirely rational with their money all the time but I think it's a bit dismissive to simply say "<x> is a net good forever and theres nothing that can go wrong!", especially when you're talking about economics.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

Kobayashi posted:

The GOP needs a tournament bracket for debates, complete with seeding and everything. It'd be more entertaining the the NCAA tournament.

I would unironically support Republican Thunderdome and/or Hunger Games.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
I prefer comrade.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

An Angry Bug posted:

I prefer comrade.

Ratfucker

quite the fucker
Apr 13, 2014

01100110 01110101 01100011 01101011 01100101 01110010
what if bernie sanders won

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
As a poor person i can tell you all that extra money will go right back out in necessary spending. How that is not completely obvious is beyond me.

Why is this a three page derail in the presidential primary thread?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Because some people don't understand that raising minimum wage to a level that isn't slave wages isn't going to mean you're suddenly paying $50 for a pack of chicken at Walmart

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

baw posted:

i swear every time finishes something with "it's basic economics!" the thing they said is stupid

But what if they're talking about perfectly spherical rational actors in a frictionless vacuum

quite the fucker
Apr 13, 2014

01100110 01110101 01100011 01101011 01100101 01110010

a shameful boehner posted:

Because some people don't understand that raising minimum wage to a level that isn't slave wages isn't going to mean you're suddenly paying $50 for a pack of chicken at Walmart

i read a thing that siad it would only raise prices (in wal mart) by about 1.5%

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

quite the fucker posted:

i read a thing that siad it would only raise prices (in wal mart) by about 1.5%

an unacceptable price to pay for raising millions out of poverty

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

site posted:

As a poor person i can tell you all that extra money will go right back out in necessary spending. How that is not completely obvious is beyond me.

Why is this a three page derail in the presidential primary thread?

I'm sorry, I wasn't aware that we should treat one persons lived experience as a universal constant when debating the economic ramifications of a particular policy.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

my bony fealty posted:

an unacceptable price to pay for raising millions out of poverty

It's not an unacceptable price at all, but it would mean that millions have their spending power reduced by some small amount as well. I think that's a perfectly acceptable trade off. When you consider the knock-on effects of raising families out of poverty a few generations on, it's even more valuable to the society.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

uncurable mlady posted:

It's not an unacceptable price at all, but it would mean that millions have their spending power reduced by some small amount as well. I think that's a perfectly acceptable trade off. When you consider the knock-on effects of raising families out of poverty a few generations on, it's even more valuable to the society.

Oh, absolutely agree - I currently make about 2.5x the minimum wage in my state and so would see some slight negative repercussions if the minimum wage was raised to $15, but I would be more than willing to swallow that in exchange for a healthier economy that worked to reduce income inequality.

The issue seems like a no-brainer for Hillary (or Bernie :v:) to hit the GOP nominee on during the General Election debates; it polls incredibly well (http://www.raisetheminimumwage.com/pages/polling) and the inevitable bullshit about increasing unemployment etc. that the Republican would spout in response seems easy to counter.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

uncurable mlady posted:

I'm sorry, I wasn't aware that we should treat one persons lived experience as a universal constant when debating the economic ramifications of a particular policy.

This does not conform and incorporate into my world view.

Obviously, it is fallacy of anecdotal evidence.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

The problem with the minimum wage debate is that it's not really about the minimum wage on the Right (it's not about class and race and other fun forms of bigotry) and no one on the Left is willing to actually discuss the concept of "sometimes we have to do things that make life worse for some people in order to make life better for other people in the short term so that everyone's lives are better in the long term"

* Right and Left from the American position at least

** This is my biggest PPACA pet peeve, that they tried so hard to pitch it as 'everyone wins all the time' when it was blatantly obvious that there would be short term winners and losers. A society that's incapable of honestly debating trade offs and weighing the short term costs vs. the long term benefits of policy is a loving stupid society.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

site posted:

This does not conform and incorporate into my world view.

Obviously, it is fallacy of anecdotal evidence.

It, quite literally, is anecdotal evidence. Initiate.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

uncurable mlady posted:

A society that's incapable of honestly debating trade offs and weighing the short term costs vs. the long term benefits of policy is a loving stupid society.

Unless I have to self sacrifice, then it's blatantly unfair.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

computer parts posted:

Unless I have to self sacrifice, then it's blatantly unfair.

Proceed, Governor.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Gov. Jindal issues executive order endorsing discrimination against gays

quote:

Trying to regain ground after a setback in the legislature, Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal issued an executive order Tuesday to protect people who exercise their religious beliefs on matters related to same-sex marriage.

Jindal outlined the order in a statement: “This Executive Order will prohibit the state from denying or revoking a tax exemption, tax deduction, contract, cooperative agreement, loan, professional license, certification, accreditation, or employment on the basis the person acts in accordance with a religious belief that marriage is between one man and one woman.”

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

uncurable mlady posted:

Doubling my salary while increasing prices by 1%?!?! UNACCEPTABLE!!!

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
So I read some dumb clickbaity headline on the internet today saying HILARY HAD A SECOND SECRET EMAIL ADDRESS! but I haven't seen anything about it in this thread. Problem? non-problem?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

redreader posted:

So I read some dumb clickbaity headline on the internet today saying HILARY HAD A SECOND SECRET EMAIL ADDRESS! but I haven't seen anything about it in this thread. Problem? non-problem?

HRod17@clintonemail.com was the top secret second email address. No joke that's what it was.

It's a non problem, of course.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
So Bernie is coming to Iowa late in May and early in June and I've signed up for and plan on going to one of his town hall meetings. I'm super excited about this and am wondering if I get a chance should I ask if he would support a minimum wage increase that is tied to cost of living? Or maybe a suggestion for a better question and maybe some information on the subject you suggest.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

redreader posted:

It's all over for the HillDog.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Mr Hootington posted:

So Bernie is coming to Iowa late in May and early in June and I've signed up for and plan on going to one of his town hall meetings. I'm super excited about this and am wondering if I get a chance should I ask if he would support a minimum wage increase that is tied to cost of living? Or maybe a suggestion for a better question and maybe some information on the subject you suggest.

Ask him about the input Stephanie Kelton gave in crafting the budget response this year and how he sees MMT playing into future budgets.

I'm genuinely curious about the answer to that.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

uncurable mlady posted:

Not to mention a shitload of people who are currently getting paid slightly more than $15/hr would have upward wage pressure themselves as a result.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Scott Walker says it's only a "flip flop" if you've voted on it, and as a Governor he never had to vote on immigration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qgwqw-fB1TE

If only Mitt had thought of that!

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Literally "no state shall deny the equal protection of the laws"

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Best thing about a potential Hillary presidency is Bill wearing more and more cream colored suits, as his ties keep getting progressively wackier.

2019 State of the Union, a quick cut to the balcony. There's Bill, wearing a piano key tie, eating an ice cream sandwich.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

MaxxBot posted:

I imagine the vast majority of this money would go into servicing immediate needs. It is possible this would include paying down debt or some savings of course. (And I thought investment was the future or something, aren't you supposed to be happy if the poors all start saving their pennies?) Of course after a couple of years people might be less deep in the hole, generally speaking.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Series DD Funding posted:

It's cool how you know people's "interests" better than they do.

When people actively vote against platforms for improved labor laws, healthcare expansion/socialization, increased minimum wages and continue to support platforms of corporate welfare, regressive taxation, etc....yes, yes I know better about their interests than they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Tom Gorman posted:

Bill wearing more and more cream colored suits

Historically, that color clothing hasn't worked out well for him.

• Locked thread