Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

bairfanx posted:

So far, you are the only person I've heard of who wasn't surprised by the massive and continuous escalation in violence and gore of that series.

I started reading after I had seen panels here so I went into it knowing that Invincible was going to use his super strength and flight to human-bullet through things.

I could see if you picked up issue #1 and were like "hey it's superman with teen issues this might be fun" but while I didn't know about the revelation at the end of the first volume and how that would shade the rest of the comic, I knew about the violence before hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
I wonder if Kirkman is just trolling us at this point or playing the long game or what?

We've already been over the "free comic book day includes tearful rape confession and Invincible taking a dump" but what the fuckin' gently caress is going on with the Walking Dead, man?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I doubt it. I think he's been able to do this stuff and make money/get acclaim, so what's his incentive to do anything differently?

I also think if Invincible's 'hook' was meant to be "oh, man, if Superman REALLY fought people, they'd, like, totally EXPLODE into blood and guts and poo poo dude!", that he maybe shouldn't have made the 'Ultimate Superboy' stuff way better than that part.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Network Pesci posted:

I wonder if Kirkman is just trolling us at this point or playing the long game or what?

We've already been over the "free comic book day includes tearful rape confession and Invincible taking a dump" but what the fuckin' gently caress is going on with the Walking Dead, man?

How the gently caress did the Walking Dead get nominated for a loving Eisner this year. gently caress

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
If he doesn't shape up and start writing better, I'm out. I'm going to give him six, seven, maybe eight more chances and then I'm OUT, man, I'm serious.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Senor Candle posted:

How the gently caress did the Walking Dead get nominated for a loving Eisner this year. gently caress

Maybe the Eisner's have a new category for "Best series that continues to go nowhere."

(I stopped reading somewhere around them finding Eugene and Abraham et al, so if it did go somewhere, I accept my shame.)

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

Maybe the EIsner's have a new category for "Best series that continues to go nowhere."

Oh I guess that's why Hawkeye was in there. TBH that's more of a symptom of it never actually coming out though. I'm just mad Sex Criminals isn't on there again this year.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

I doubt it. I think he's been able to do this stuff and make money/get acclaim, so what's his incentive to do anything differently?

I also think if Invincible's 'hook' was meant to be "oh, man, if Superman REALLY fought people, they'd, like, totally EXPLODE into blood and guts and poo poo dude!", that he maybe shouldn't have made the 'Ultimate Superboy' stuff way better than that part.

I think it was less whatever it is you wrote and more "what if superman actually came from an unbelievably advanced militaristic alien race" and went from there. When you take a step back and really look at the book, it's always been about the Viltrumites' campaign of ultimately settling Earth and for a race whose lifespan lasts thousands of years, there's been some huge leaps of forward progress in that story arc.

The only thing I can think of that the book's currently lacking is probably more mustaches.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I just picked up last week's Chrononauts.

Yeah, okay, I'll admit this is pretty excellent all-around.

Also, is anyone reading Rumble? I grabbed a couple on Comixology but I'm not 100% sold on it yet.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

ruddiger posted:

I think it was less whatever it is you wrote and more "what if superman actually came from an unbelievably advanced militaristic alien race" and went from there. When you take a step back and really look at the book, it's always been about the Viltrumites' campaign of ultimately settling Earth and for a race whose lifespan lasts thousands of years, there's been some huge leaps of forward progress in that story arc.

Its an american version of the saiyan arc of Dragonball Z.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I really like Rumble but I doubt it's for everyone. I think you'll know within a couple more if you're gonna want to stick with it

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I read the first two issues of Southern Cross. It wasn't what I was expecting, but I'm still not sure what to feel about it. It kind of reminds me of an 80s/90s anime in the form of a Western comic.

Crossed +100 also continues to be really good, I loved the Muslim community from the latest issue and how Fewch's interest in old sci-fi is tied in with the narrative. It's also super creepy to me, mainly from the sense of dread I get whenever the Crosseds' training videos are shown and you just know something absolutely terrible is being built up to.

Also Moore is next going to be writing a biographical comic of HP Lovecraft called Providence? I'm definitely in for that.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

Chairman Capone posted:

Also Moore is next going to be writing a biographical comic of HP Lovecraft called Providence? I'm definitely in for that.

Did you read his Neonomicon? Apparently it's a prequel to that. If it's anything like that was then I hope you're not squeamish or particularly easily offended. There's pretty unpleasant stuff in there.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

krakagar posted:

Did you read his Neonomicon? Apparently it's a prequel to that. If it's anything like that was then I hope you're not squeamish or particularly easily offended. There's pretty unpleasant stuff in there.

I'm not even going to spoiler it because gently caress Neonomicon, but a woman gets raped repeatedly by a deep one for like 2-3 issues, if not more. It might have worked as horror in the "real horror" sense, but then there are moments of inappropriate or misplaced levity like her giving the thing a hand job because she was exhausted or something.

There was a time when I would have been super excited to see Alan Moore do a story of Lovecraftian horror, but that time has apparently long passed.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The other prequel to Neonomicon, The Courtyard, is really good.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm not even going to spoiler it because gently caress Neonomicon, but a woman gets raped repeatedly by a deep one for like 2-3 issues, if not more. It might have worked as horror in the "real horror" sense, but then there are moments of inappropriate or misplaced levity like her giving the thing a hand job because she was exhausted or something.

There was a time when I would have been super excited to see Alan Moore do a story of Lovecraftian horror, but that time has apparently long passed.

I don't think the handjob scene was supposed to be levity, just a break in all the disgust-filled poo poo and tension of that book. And the prospect of an Alan Moore Lovecraft story should loving terrify you, not excite you, isn't that the point of Lovecraftian horror? To expose you to the unimagineable and push you to the absolute edge of the void?

I wouldn't say I'm excited that Alan Moore's doing Crossed +100, but it's easily one of the most compelling books he's put out in a while. I had no idea there was a prequel to Neonomicon. I'll have to check it out.

More later.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I loved the multimodal storytelling in the latest issue of Lazarus. Letters, reports, correspondences, all combined to put together this nice, moving one-shot that makes the stakes clear for the future of the series. Hock is one diabolical fucker.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Kull the Conqueror posted:

I loved the multimodal storytelling in the latest issue of Lazarus. Letters, reports, correspondences, all combined to put together this nice, moving one-shot that makes the stakes clear for the future of the series. Hock is one diabolical fucker.
Agreed, though I wish the handwriting for the journals was a little easier to read. It took me a little while to decipher some of the words because of how small the writing was. It'll be interesting to see where this goes.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

MrFlibble posted:

Its an american version of the saiyan arc of Dragonball Z.

They're still fighting? It's been days.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

ruddiger posted:

They're still fighting? It's been days.

Heh.

In other news - Dark Horse has been printing large collected versions of Usagi Yojimbo under the 'saga' banner, starting from volume 8 (although of course its labeled as saga book 1). I haven't got them because I own 1 through 28 already.

The reason it starts at 8 is because 1 to 7 are published via Fantagraphics and I have just seen there is a pre-order for a second printing of the special edition that collects all 7 volumes (Money permitting I will be buying this, even though I own 1 through 7. Mainly because my copy of 1 is a different size to the rest and my 7 is hardback and its setting off my autism/ocd whatever. But the special edition looks really nice so its not a total wash) . So if you like Usagi Yojimbo (or want to try it out!) it looks like its going to be a lot easier to get now.

Also the collected edition of Senso (UY/War of the worlds crossover) is going to be published later this month. Its a good time to be a fan.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010
Just came here to say that once again The Wicked & The Divine was bloody great. So many great character moments this week after last months exposition heavy issue.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

krakagar posted:

Just came here to say that once again The Wicked & The Divine was bloody great. So many great character moments this week after last months exposition heavy issue.

Thanks for reminding me to finally sit down and read this. It's been a really fun book so far, and I'm excited to see how this arc closes up at the end of the month!

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
Got caught up on Nameless issues 2 and 3 last night. I love it.

It's sort of like Prophet meets Deep Impact starring John Constantine.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Got caught up on Descender issues 2 and 3 last night. Jeff Lemire can keep laying down story rails for naive/damaged snowflakes and I won't get tired of it, especially when Dustin Nguyen's nailing the art so well.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/amino-acid-boy-and-the-chaos-order-graphic-novel

If anyone is interested, there's this really strange graphic novel some dude's been working on for a long while, Aminoacid Boy. If you really like super duper indie weird stuff, then this is right up your alley!

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Colon Semicolon posted:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/amino-acid-boy-and-the-chaos-order-graphic-novel

If anyone is interested, there's this really strange graphic novel some dude's been working on for a long while, Aminoacid Boy. If you really like super duper indie weird stuff, then this is right up your alley!

Even though I'm American, whenever I see prices in euros I read commas as being the decimal mark and was sad that they'd only raised like $1.59

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

pugnax posted:

Got caught up on Nameless issues 2 and 3 last night. I love it.

It's sort of like Prophet meets Deep Impact starring John Constantine.

I just caught up with this. That's a great description. I have no loving idea what's going on but I'm enjoying the poo poo out of it

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010
Is anyone reading Injection? I really enjoyed the first issue and it looks like it's going to be a proper good Elllis comic, but just for once I'd like to read an Ellis comic where something actually happens/ get explained within the first three issues.

I say this as a massive Ellis fanboy, and I loved Trees but there's no doubt that it reads so much better in one sitting. Injection has more of a planetary vibe to it though so I'm hoping for a bit of a snappier pace.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

krakagar posted:

Is anyone reading Injection? I really enjoyed the first issue and it looks like it's going to be a proper good Elllis comic, but just for once I'd like to read an Ellis comic where something actually happens/ get explained within the first three issues.

I say this as a massive Ellis fanboy, and I loved Trees but there's no doubt that it reads so much better in one sitting. Injection has more of a planetary vibe to it though so I'm hoping for a bit of a snappier pace.

Desolation Jones and Fell were pretty self explanatory within the first few pages.

RIP Desolation Jones though :(

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
If he explains things early on, you could be disappointed, but if he doesn't explain them at the beginning, then you can imagine what might be revealed.

(Because they won't actually finish, you see, being Warren Ellis books.)

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??
I rather liked Injection. Seems like its going to be very set in EnglandBritain. Trees bored me, so I hope as has been mentioned.

I liked the reference to Wanderer above the Sea of Fog

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

Desolation Jones and Fell were pretty self explanatory within the first few pages.

RIP Desolation Jones though :(

Yeah. Desolation Jones was greT. And fell was supposed to be stand alone issues. I'm talking about the more recent stuff he's done though - Trees, Blue Rose, Project Blackcross have all been pretty slow burners. I loved Trees, and Blue Rose was pretty great too, though it really only started making sense once it was about halfway through.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
I liked the vibe Injection was giving off quite a bit.

I also checked out Mantle and Mythic which were both interesting enough for me to check out their next issues. Mantle has a hilarious origin story and Mythic was kinda a mix between Lovecraft and Men In Black.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
So how did Supreme: Blue Rose turn out to be? I loved Alan Moore's Supreme run, I usually like Warren Ellis, and the art looked beautiful, but I heard it was very weird and didn't make much sense. Did it all pay off in the end?

Also, did Copra Round Two improve on Round One, and how have the latest issues been? I bought Round One and liked it, but wanted to love it, and then Round Two sold out before I could get one.

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

Blue Rose worked very well. I think the plot was kind of obvious given the ending of the previous Supreme book, but Blue Rose does a good job of balancing a metafictional narrative on a more or less reasonable human character. Generally when a comic book nerd says something is weird and doesn't make much sense they mean it not about bad man come and hurt good man, good man sad, good man beat bad man. God forbid stories have something more interesting happen in them.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Talking of Ellis, I recently saw a hardcover collection of both Ocean and Orbiter in one volume, are either or both of those comics good?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Hedrigall posted:

Talking of Ellis, I recently saw a hardcover collection of both Ocean and Orbiter in one volume, are either or both of those comics good?

I liked Orbiter, but it is a bit odd and I don't know if I'd call it amazing. It's kind of a combination of cosmic/Cronenberg type horror with this Star Trek TOS type optimism about space exploration.

I haven't read Ocean but it's been on my two-read list for a while. Really, I feel like Ellis's sci-fi one shots I've read have all been at the least decent enough to warrant the purchase.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

The first arc of Lady Killer (issues 1-5) wrapped up last week, and it's been a great time.
There're hints of more stories to come, and I hope Joelle Jones keeps it going (with Laura Allred still on colors if at all possible).

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Hedrigall posted:

I just read this hardcover collection, so here are my short thoughts.

Ocean has a very typical Ellis protagonist with, really, a very typical Ellis supporting cast. It definitely had some neat ideas, but if it were a movie, which it seemed like it was desperately trying to be, it would be something to watch casually on Netflix or something. Also, the Windows/Microsoft commentary feels so incredibly dated now.

Orbiter at its core had a very interesting mystery, which meant that it was an even greater disappointment when it actually concluded. It felt like Ellis trying to do his version of Rendezvous with Rama or some other "first contact with inscrutably alien THING" story, but it got kinda lost in its own technobabble. If you want to read a whole lot about physics that are either super theoretical or complete gobbledegook, you might be more interested, but it didn't really deal with the sense of exploration and discovery that I was hoping it'd provide.

That being said, if you like Ellis, you might as well read them. Just don't expect like, Planetary or Fell or Desolation Jones or Transmet or

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

I really disliked orbiter. It has that whiny nerd bullshit about how the world would totally be better if we spent all our money on nasa.

I guess get it if you feel that way.