Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Since the DS4 has been mentioned a few times on this page, how's the support for it in the PC version of the game? By that I mean can you plug it in and have the game recognize it with the proper button prompts showing up, or do you have to use drivers that trick windows into thinking it's an Xbox controller?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Verranicus posted:

So I get why peasants hate the Empire, they see them as invaders, but why does Geralt always have such an attitude when he's dealing with people from Nilfgaard? I just spoke with the commander in White Orchard and the dude was straight up doing everything he could to help the villagers out and Geralt still gave him poo poo. It's like the game is giving me mix messages when we're supposed to hate the Empire but everyone we meet from there is friendlier than people from the North.

The Empire started this war for no reason getting countless people killed, also the Emperor personally is a dick towards Geralt.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

socialsecurity posted:

The Empire started this war for no reason getting countless people killed, also the Emperor personally is a dick towards Geralt.

So far the people seem way better off under Empire rule than they were before, though?

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
CDKeys.com has it for $37.50 for PC. This is a GOG.com key.

Normally I'd want it on Steam, but CDProjekt Red seemed pretty adamant about no-DRM and GOG.com is who they send their retail copies to.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Verranicus posted:

So I get why peasants hate the Empire, they see them as invaders, but why does Geralt always have such an attitude when he's dealing with people from Nilfgaard? I just spoke with the commander in White Orchard and the dude was straight up doing everything he could to help the villagers out and Geralt still gave him poo poo. It's like the game is giving me mix messages when we're supposed to hate the Empire but everyone we meet from there is friendlier than people from the North.

Geralt is rude.

g-c
Dec 10, 2006

Say cheese
Talking about actual gameplay here:

Wild at Heart Quest -

I chose to let the werewolf husband man kill Hana's sister, which I kind of regret doing now. I should have let her live just so that I could be satisfied knowing she had to live the rest of her life with the fact that she murdered her own sister to be with sister's husband. Sloot.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Verranicus posted:

The captain you spoke to is kind of two-faced, as with everyone in the witcher world. Also, apparently the emperor and Geralt has some bad blood between them from the books or something.
And then there's the whole Invasion, rape, pillage, slaughter of countless civilans. You know, the usual stuff.

Edit: Also the emperor is a pompous rear end in a top hat.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Since the DS4 has been mentioned a few times on this page, how's the support for it in the PC version of the game? By that I mean can you plug it in and have the game recognize it with the proper button prompts showing up, or do you have to use drivers that trick windows into thinking it's an Xbox controller?

Take your pick:

http://ds4windows.com

https://inputmapper.com

I use DS4Windows and I just run and go (while turning on "Hide DS4" in settings to prevent double inputs for some games) and it seems to work great.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Verranicus posted:

So far the people seem way better off under Empire rule than they were before, though?

The people who are left alive or who didn't have their fathers/brothers/sons killed in a pointless war. Also I haven't seen any way better off everyone still appears to be a starving dirty peasant, the only place that felt like it was doing okay so far was Novigrad.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
So what did you guys do with the Ladies of the Wood Tree Spirit? I killed the spirit but now regret doing so after learning that the Ladies do indeed eat children.

theDOWmustflow fucked around with this message at 01:57 on May 20, 2015

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Two quick questions:

1. Do you not get XP from killing monsters?
2. Is there a fix for the open inventory and game crashes? It seems to happen 1/3 times i go to my inventory.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I turned off everything in HUD.ini and there are only two HUD elements remaining: floating numbers and floating TALK to NILFGAARDIAN SOLDIER prompts over people's heads. Both seem entirely unnecessary and sort of an oversight in the HUD options. Otherwise you can go ~~full immersion~~ in this 3rd person game.

Otherwise I have to say the HUD is set up beautifully. Seamless switching between keyboard and controller is great for menus. You can customize literally everything except WASD and floating numbers/floating prompts. There are a lot of lefties bitching about this on the CD Project RED forums but few about the UI elements that seem to have been locked on by oversight more than anything.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 20, 2015

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Verranicus posted:

He's not nice, trust me.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Arglebargle III posted:

I turned off everything in HUD.ini and there are only two HUD elements remaining: floating numbers and floating TALK to NILFGAARDIAN SOLDIER prompts over people's heads. Both seem entirely unnecessary and sort of an oversight in the HUD options. Otherwise you can go ~~full immersion~~ in this 3rd person game.

I thought you were quitting?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Verranicus posted:

Books spoilers ( that'll probably manifest in game, so beware. )

The Emperor wants to kidnap and rape Geralt's daughter to form the prophesied child that'll conquer the world. I could spoil a huge plot of Witcher 3 here but I won't, but suffice to say Ciri/the Emperor have ties you'll learn about ingame.

They've also personally hosed him over multiple times to accomplish this goal, and while they are happy to bring culture to the North, they are doing so with the sword if people don't agree. They don't want the North for land, they want it so their Empire can spread and these new people can be "enlightened". Considering the Empire proper is "gently caress you got mine" supreme land, is that really what the North needs, even if it does mean Elves/Dwarves stop getting killed so often in the streets, and people are polite to Witchers?

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 02:00 on May 20, 2015

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Verranicus posted:

I thought you were quitting?

I thought you didn't care about this poo poo and just wanted to play the game?

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Take your pick:

http://ds4windows.com

https://inputmapper.com

I use DS4Windows and I just run and go (while turning on "Hide DS4" in settings to prevent double inputs for some games) and it seems to work great.

Cool, thanks. I hadn't even considered hooking up this controller before, but my old 360 pad started to act up and I sort of prefer the DS4 in general so I'll give it a try.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Rookersh posted:

Books.

The Emperor wants to kidnap and rape Geralt's daughter to form the prophesied child that conquer the world. I could spoil a huge plot of Witcher 3 here but I won't, but suffice to say Ciri/the Emperor have ties you'll learn about ingame.

They've also personally hosed him over multiple times to accomplish this goal, and while they are happy to bring culture to the North, they are doing so with the sword if people don't agree. They don't want the North for land, they want it so their Empire can spread and these new people can be "enlightened". Considering the Empire proper is "gently caress you got mine" supreme land, is that really what the North needs, even if it does mean Elves/Dwarves stop getting killed so often in the streets, and people are polite to Witchers?

Uuuh, are you sure you're not mixing up some people here? From what I've gathered, Ciri is the Emperor's daughter. It's the leader of the Wild Hunt that wants to kidnap Ciri and use her to conquer the world because she has some powers or something something.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I hope this game makes a point of who the emperor really is.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Witcher 2 was all about the Empire loving with Geralt, why even bring up the books

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
anyone know if you can disable the popup that tells you youve switched to kbam and controller? its annoying as hell. same with the skip cutscene button. i just want to take screenshots dammit.

also i swear my horse kicked in the face during the first fight. :|

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
So I think I've found this Herbalist's house in White Orchard, but the door is locked and nobody is there?

Do I need to come back later?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

Uuuh, are you sure you're not mixing up some people here? From what I've gathered, Ciri is the Emperor's daughter. It's the leader of the Wild Hunt that wants to kidnap Ciri and use her to conquer the world because she has some powers or something something.

Ciri was gifted to Geralt through the Rite of Surprise well before the Emperor became Emperor, and Geralt raised her as his daughter. Thus she is both their daughter, to the Emperor by nature, to Geralt by nurture.

Turns out she's a Source and a powerful one at that. According to legend, her first child will conquer half the world, and her child's child will conquer the entire world. The Wild Hunt want her to help them conquer the world, as she'd be able to keep their gates open/her children would help them conquer the world. The Emperor wants her because her children will conquer the world, and he wants his son to be the one that does it/it done under Nilfgaards banner.

PreAmnesia Geralt, Yennefer, and Ciri obviously want to be left alone. DO NOT GIVE CIRI TO THE EMPEROR. HE IS A BAD MAN. HE HAS BAD GOALS FOR HER. DO NOT DO THAT TO YOUR DAUGHTER.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 26, 2021

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Tykero posted:

So I think I've found this Herbalist's house in White Orchard, but the door is locked and nobody is there?

Do I need to come back later?

Wait until the quest step requires it. White Orchard is one big tutorial area for the most part.

Edit: Just noticed your quest log, just go talk to the Nilf's, you get access to the herbalist literally right after you talk to the captain.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Anyone know where you get regular feathers?

Noirex
May 30, 2006

If anyone else is also getting a headache from the default FOV (which is apparently set to 60), you can download Cheat Engine and change it - https://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/comments/36izvs/cheatengine_fov_fix/

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

RatHat posted:

Anyone know where you get regular feathers?

See those chickens and geese in towns? :black101:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Has anyone done the plague island quest? Does it get a happy ending if you agree to take her bones to be buried ashore? I somehow doubt it, but I didn't agree to it because what she was saying seemed wrong, and bringing a pestilence wraith to the mainland doesn't exactly sound like the smartest idea.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Not at home but anyone tried this tweak to hairworks?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

harrygomm posted:

I'm getting 40 fps with everything turned to the minimum it will go when near any kind of trees in the starter town.

I have a i5-4570, a 2GB 760 (latest drivers), and 16GB RAM and game is installed on a SSD. I read through the tweak guide and had everything set up nice but I was getting 15-20 frames. Setting everything to low lets me hit 60 if i stare at the sky with rapid drops after that. Card is cool, doesn't even start up the fans. No issues at all with other modern games (GTA V and the like).

What avenues do I have.

Is this a laptop? If your card is running the Witcher 3 without fans, it suggests something is seriously wrong with GPU utilization. Are you sure your card is doing the rendering and some dumb motherboard thing isn't doing software/integrated rendering?

Restart your computer.

Check your nVidia settings first to see if the GPU isn't set to do something dumb like turn off or be in power-saving mode.

Roll back drivers, reinstall drivers.

If none of that works you might want to check your power supply; a card that ramps up to 400W draw and doesn't get a stable current will switch to power-saving mode to protect itself from voltage instability.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
You know, for someone who is supposed to be an all-around badass, Geralt seems to die pretty fast when he falls a height of 2 ft.

::takes a step off the curb, breaks ankles and dies::

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The Witcher world is a failed/dark age space colony; the planet is higher gravity than Earth.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

The Witcher world is a failed/dark age space colony; the planet is higher gravity than Earth.

Since we are talking Wild Hunt this might actually come up, could be spoilers for endgame of 3.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Ragingsheep posted:

Not at home but anyone tried this tweak to hairworks?

Huh, when I remember reading Nvidia's Witcher 3 Tweak Guide saying that Hairworks was AA'd but it totally didn't pass my mind that may have been an option to reduce the anti-aliasing on it... I should try this when I get home...

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 02:42 on May 20, 2015

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

I really want to like playing with a controller, but the camera keeps rotating until it's almost looking down at Geralt while riding a horse.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Ash1138 posted:

I really want to like playing with a controller, but the camera keeps rotating until it's almost looking down at Geralt while riding a horse.

Something's wrong with your controller. Quit the game. Unplug the controller and plug it back in. Start the game back up and validate if the issue is gone or not.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
am i looking in the wrong places or is there literally nothing you can do around level 3-4 in terms of questing besides the "main" quest, which is like 2 levels above you in difficulty

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ash1138 posted:

Confirm that you are not sitting on your mouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Heliosicle posted:

See those chickens and geese in towns? :black101:

That doesn't aggro guards or piss off the villagers?