Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Sturm posted:

I know there was a recent run that everybody praised that focused more on the Greek Pantheon.

That was Brian Azzarello's run with a lot of art and designs by Cliff Chiang. It was really good, but did get some anti-feminist dings (the rejiggered Amazonian society, the fact that all of WW's mentors and teachers are men).

I heard decent things about the digital first Sensation Comics and Wonder Woman '77 series, but I haven't personally read them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Uthor posted:

I heard decent things about the digital first Sensation Comics and Wonder Woman '77 series, but I haven't personally read them.
Ah shoot, yeah, Sensation Comics has been rock solid from the beginning. Get 'em!

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Sturm posted:

My girlfriend recently read a book about the creator of Wonder Woman and wants to read some of the comics, she is not a comic book reader. She wants to read the originals by the guy, partially because of them being strongly pro-feminist. I've read old comics before, at least Marvel ones by Stan Lee and they aren't particularly good. You can skip pretty much 3/4 of the dialog.

Would you recommend the original run of Wonder Woman, is it similar to those old Marvel comics? If not, any particular runs that are strongly feminist leaning and good? I know there was a recent run that everybody praised that focused more on the Greek Pantheon.

Another +1 that Ruckas run is fantastic. Start off with The Hiketeia. Good story, and such a sick cover:

Got it for my very feminist wife as an introduction to WW and she loved it.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Sensation Comics has increasingly become my go-to recommendation for complaints about what people would like to see Wonder Woman do and be - solve international crises as a goodwill ambassador, inspire fairness and equality in children, act on her personal characteristics besides "woman born in warrior culture," switched up art styles without rear end-shots and melon boobs, adventures involving mythological beings... it's a great complement to the Azzarello/Chiang run, I think.

Hiketeia is wonderful and deserves wider readership.

The first issue's worth of Wonder Woman '77 has come out digitally and been collected in a stuffed, $8 physical issue, and it's really pretty/respectable, but I hope it starts running with bolder concepts like Batman '66 has been doing.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
'77 has the problem that the source material gives less leeway than Batman '66. Batman was already so wacky and crazy that tossing in a giant robot or a Japanese Bat-cave or a 60's era Harley Quinn makes about as much sense as anything else. Wonder Woman was a more grounded (relatively speaking) show that was more about generic criminals and mad scientists. So you can't really go into the mythological stuff without it feeling like a big departure in tone.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

redbackground posted:

I don't really know what makes a WW comic more feminist than another one, but maaaaaybe check out the 3 volumes of Diana Prince: Wonder Woman, that collects the time in the 70s when she was wearing a white spy suit all the time and totally went against the grain as to what you might think a WW comic would be like. The earlier part of the Messner-Loebs run has her renting a basement apartment and working at Not-Taco-Bell, and are fantastic. She should also probably read The Hiketeia, as that's pretty top-tier WW no matter where you're coming from.

That Diana Prince: Wonder Woman was so bad and absoluteley not what then contemporary feminists were looking for in comics that Gloria Steinum wrote about it in Ms. Magazine.

socalled
Sep 2, 2011

Yes, but you'll never get it.
I'm interested in Hawkgirl (Kendra Saunders) stuff. I have her 2006 run, but is there anything that will give me a better sense of her background?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think she's mainly explored in JSA by Geoff Johns, I think.

RACHET
Dec 29, 2014

by exmarx
Just finished Preacher, Crossed Volume 1 (Heard the ones after were pretty bad), and Batman: Death of the Family. Just got the Alan Moore and Frank Miller Batman graphic novels as well. I'm thinking about picking up From Hell too. Anyone have any recommendations in addition to what I have already on my list? Are the other Batman New 52 volumes worth picking up? I've heard good stuff about The Boys as well.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

RACHET posted:

Just finished Preacher, Crossed Volume 1 (Heard the ones after were pretty bad), and Batman: Death of the Family. Just got the Alan Moore and Frank Miller Batman graphic novels as well. I'm thinking about picking up From Hell too. Anyone have any recommendations in addition to what I have already on my list? Are the other Batman New 52 volumes worth picking up? I've heard good stuff about The Boys as well.

If you liked Death of the Family, you should really like Court/City of Owls and Zero Year. I liked all of those stories MUCH better than Death of the Family.

If you want more Batman, I'd recommend Grant Morrison's Batman mega-epic that spanned several years: Batman and Son/The Black Glove/Batman R.I.P./Batman and Robin/Return of Bruce Wayne/Batman Incorporated. I personally like Darwyn Cooke's Batman: Ego and Other Tails TPB (which may also pique your interest in Ed Brubaker's excellent Catwoman run from the early 2000s), and also Matt Wagner's Batman/Grendel TPB, which you can often find used for really cheap. I'm not as enamored of Tim Sale's art in Batman: The Long Halloween as everyone else, but that's another iconic take on the characters.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Crecy might just be my favorite stand alone comic ever. I love the biased narrator and the even balance between the broader strokes of the battle and the minutiae of being a British long bowman. Any recommendations for comics in a similar vein?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

fadam posted:

Crecy might just be my favorite stand alone comic ever. I love the biased narrator and the even balance between the broader strokes of the battle and the minutiae of being a British long bowman. Any recommendations for comics in a similar vein?

From Hell would be a solid recommendation.

RACHET posted:

You'd probably dig Crecy.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
A bunch of my cosplaying friends have had a lot of fun being nightwing, but are looking for some good comics of his to read. I'm not familiar and they want something more than Dick Grayson's run as Batman in Batman and Robin.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Cassa posted:

they want something more than Dick Grayson's run as Batman in Batman and Robin.

I don't know a lot about Nightwing runs, but I find Dick's current spy series pretty brilliant.
https://www.comixology.com/Grayson-2014/comics-series/21248?ref=Y29taWMvdmlldy9kZXNrdG9wL2JyZWFkY3J1bWJz

e: \/ Oh yeah. NTT is pretty neat. His disco suit would definitely be fun for cosplayers.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:45 on May 20, 2015

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The Chuck Dixon run on the Nightwing solo book is pretty solid, if a bit boilerplate. Or the Wolfman/Perez Titans, building to the switch to Nightwing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Where do I start for weird rear end Jim Starlin cosmic stuff? Warlock? I have Marvel Unlimited.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Skwirl posted:

Where do I start for weird rear end Jim Starlin cosmic stuff? Warlock? I have Marvel Unlimited.

Captain Marvel's as good a place as any.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Is Avengers vs Thanos still on sale on Comixology?

Also I just reread the Silver Surfers by Starlin leading up to Thanos Quest last week, they were excellent still and I read them when they were published.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Skwirl posted:

His Warlock is some of my favorite comics. My collection contains Strange Tales 178-181 and Warlock 9-15, which I believe is his entire main story. It also has Marvel Team-Up 55, The Avengers Annual 7, and Marvel Two-in-One Annual 2, which are a different story from the main run.

You also can't go wrong with the Silver Surfer comics around Infinity Gauntlet.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Starlin cosmic stuff is annoying since it's spread across a dozen titles over 20 or 30 years since he'd like to have a one-issue appearance of Silver Surfer or Adam Warlock in some other random title he was writing up until he got the second Surfer volume going. I wish there was a reading order out there, but I feel like that would be a hell of a task.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Captain Marvel and Warlock for sure. And the other issues above are a must too. And yes the recommendation for Silver Surfer around Infinity Gauntlet is right on. I'd say it's as much a prelude for Infinity Gauntlet as Thanos Quest is. It deals with the resurrection of Thanos and Surfer and Warlock in Soul World. And it leads to Silver Surfer 50 which is the direct lead-in to Infinity Gauntlet. The Surfer tie-in issues are all good too and actually flesh out the event.

Starlin's cosmic comics are pretty much my favorite things in comics period.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

FWIW, the collection I'm looking at is the Marvel Masterworks: Warlock Volume 2. It's Starlin's work with Warlock post Roy Thomas' initial run (where Warlock is Space Jesus).

Uthor fucked around with this message at 14:34 on May 20, 2015

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
If you can not find that one there is also this
http://www.amazon.com/Warlock-Jim-S...eywords=warlock

I also finally got to the Detective Comics Batwoman run and I loved it. How is the 52 run? I know where I need to stop but is it worth getting?

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 19:54 on May 20, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Deadpool posted:

Captain Marvel and Warlock for sure. And the other issues above are a must too. And yes the recommendation for Silver Surfer around Infinity Gauntlet is right on. I'd say it's as much a prelude for Infinity Gauntlet as Thanos Quest is. It deals with the resurrection of Thanos and Surfer and Warlock in Soul World. And it leads to Silver Surfer 50 which is the direct lead-in to Infinity Gauntlet. The Surfer tie-in issues are all good too and actually flesh out the event.

Starlin's cosmic comics are pretty much my favorite things in comics period.

It's definitely up there for me too. Top 5 for sure. Sometimes I see people talk about how it's overrated or whatever but if modern cosmic stuff was 1/4 as engaging as Starlin's was, I'd be broke from buying it all.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Any other good historical comics with non-European subject matter? Maybe in the line of Tezuka's Buddha manga?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

I also finally got to the Detective Comics Batwoman run and I loved it. How is the 52 run? I know where I need to stop but is it worth getting?

I think it definitely is till JHW3 and Blackman leave. The team up arc with Wonder Woman might be my favorite Batwoman thing, full stop.

They leave on a cliffhanger, but the next writer does a decent job of wrapping it up in the annual. His actual run is definitely not worth while, though.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 20, 2015

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Endless Mike posted:

Starlin cosmic stuff is annoying since it's spread across a dozen titles over 20 or 30 years since he'd like to have a one-issue appearance of Silver Surfer or Adam Warlock in some other random title he was writing up until he got the second Surfer volume going. I wish there was a reading order out there, but I feel like that would be a hell of a task.

It's worth noting that Starlin had the idea for characters like Thanos and couldn't get on a cosmic book so he debuted them in Iron Man.

Thanos:Starlin::Mantis:Englehart, is what I'm saying.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

fadam posted:

Any other good historical comics with non-European subject matter? Maybe in the line of Tezuka's Buddha manga?

Chinggis Khan by Yokoyama Mitsuteru is a manga about Chinggis Khan and is fully translated.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

GorfZaplen posted:

Chinggis Khan by Yokoyama Mitsuteru is a manga about Chinggis Khan and is fully translated.

Too bad they forgot to translate the title.

Syndic
Jul 5, 2012
What's the best collected version of Jodorowsky's The Incal? There are so many drat variations (some censored, some with re-colored art, etc ) that I'm pretty darn confused as to which one is considered 'definitive'.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Syndic posted:

What's the best collected version of Jodorowsky's The Incal? There are so many drat variations (some censored, some with re-colored art, etc ) that I'm pretty darn confused as to which one is considered 'definitive'.

Are you trying to get a fancy print version or do you just want to read it? If the latter, comixology has, I think, the "correct" version. The whole thing was on sale a few weeks ago.

Syndic
Jul 5, 2012

Zachack posted:

Are you trying to get a fancy print version or do you just want to read it? If the latter, comixology has, I think, the "correct" version. The whole thing was on sale a few weeks ago.

I was looking for a print version, but I'll keep the digital in mind - thanks!

Ghost Boner
Jul 6, 2009

Syndic posted:

I was looking for a print version, but I'll keep the digital in mind - thanks!

Grab the Humanoids reprint. Nice hardcover collection of the original comics. None of that godawful re-coloring.

They've also collected the Before Incal and After Incal series, along with a lot of other Jodorowsky comics.

Syndic
Jul 5, 2012
Brilliant - cheers!

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

I just read the first issue of the new Midnighter run, and now I'm kinda interested in reading more. What runs of The Authority and/or Midnighter should I check out?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Start from the original run. Feel free to jump off the series when the main bad guy travels back in time to molest the heroes as children.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

He's been guest starring in Grayson in the lead up to his own series. If you enjoyed Midnighter, you'll probably have fun with that.
https://www.comixology.com/Grayson-2014/comics-series/21248

and he was in the New 52 Stormwatch series with Apollo before that, which was just okay.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

Start from the original run. Feel free to jump off the series when the main bad guy travels back in time to molest the heroes as children.

Midnighter and Apollo first appeared toward the end of Warren Ellis' Stormwatch, which took a generic, bland, second-tier book from Jim Lee's Wildstorm/Image era and made it awesome. I believe the whole thing is collected in two newer, thicker volumes, and five long-out out of print TPBs.

After that, Ellis wrote the first twelve issues of The Authority, with Bryan Hitch drawing. I know there's one collection with all of it, or two older TPBs (Relentless and Under New Management, which includes the first story arc that followed, by Mark Millar and Frank Quitely).

I didn't like Millar's run at all, between the story SynthOrange referred to above, and the fake Avengers story, where a Captain America analogue literally raped Apollo, and Midnighter got his revenge by raping him to death with a jackhammer. Oh, Millar!

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Trying to catch up on the Inhumans.

What's he order with Inhuman, Uncanny Inhumans and Attilan Rising?

Confused!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

hadji murad posted:

Trying to catch up on the Inhumans.

What's he order with Inhuman, Uncanny Inhumans and Attilan Rising?

Confused!

Inhumans
Uncanny Inhumans (set up for post Secret War title)
Attilan Rising (Secret War title)