Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
well HECK Phil
Feb 25, 2010
Toilet Rascal

Away all Goats posted:

Black lab puppies are the best and if you disagree with me I will fight you (with pictures)

Ahem. Let's bring in the basset hound.

Also, while I was deployed, my friend got my dog taken in to a Petsmart to get her hair done:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

People in Alaska get loving infuriated if you don't specifically distinguish between crows and ravens. I have no idea why.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

khysanth posted:

I live in SoCal and have a lot of trouble distinguishing between crows and ravens. Is there an easy way? I've read that possibly tail feather shape but that's not always visible.

Looks like you've gotten some good answers. I usually just check out the beak--a raven's is more blunt and a crow's is sharper, and a raven usually has a small tuft of feathers at the base of its beak (the beard). To be fair, I pretty much only see crows just because they're everywhere out here, but I love them; they're so pretty and sleek.

Dick Trauma posted:

I've seen ravens here in L.A. and they're big! The huge beak is a good guide, as well as their croaking calls. A funny youtube video had a good differentiation rule related to calling: crows rock to caw and ravens just rock. (Crows rock their body while they call, while the ravens call is a hoarse "rock" sound without the rocking motion.)

Interesting, I definitely hear the croaking sound in the park where I run, which is where I saw the huge blackbird. Maybe it was a raven after all. I just assumed it was a crow because they are pretty big where I live, and they're everywhere, and they're likely to sit on a bench for a few minutes while you gawk at them. But considering the croaking calls I hear all the time, it could have easily been a raven, especially considering its size. It was probably bigger than the bird in my picture, though to be fair that tree is over 100 feet tall so I didn't get THAT close a look at it.

Maggie Fletcher has a new favorite as of 01:55 on May 20, 2015

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Jaramin posted:

People in Alaska get loving infuriated if you don't specifically distinguish between crows and ravens. I have no idea why.

Probably because Raven has an incredibly deep level of spiritual significance to the various native tribes of the pacific northwest, while crows are just annoying pests.

Bumblefuck!
Jan 20, 2007

Frankie left for her new home yesterday, but not before we had a chance to hang out with her a little more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onV2Kn4__UM

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

haha, very cute...

Away all Goats posted:

Black lab puppies are the best and if you disagree with me I will fight you (with pictures)

HAHA, very cute!

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Bumblefuck! posted:

Frankie left for her new home yesterday, but not before we had a chance to hang out with her a little more.

Are hairless cats generally harder in any way to take care of over normal haired cats?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

OldTennisCourt posted:

Are hairless cats generally harder in any way to take care of over normal haired cats?

I've heard they need to be bathed more often because their skin can get oily and yucky.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Choco1980 posted:

I've heard they need to be bathed more often because their skin can get oily and yucky.

Yeah you need to actually bathe hairless cats unlike regular cats who can generally clean themselves.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Good thing they fukkin' love baths if you get 'em early enough :3:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Goodbye Frankie you noisy little weirdo.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Isn't that true of most cats or has the Internet lied to me?

Cythereal posted:

You post a picture of a blue jay, but your text suggests a grackle or mockingbird should be present. Or magpie if you're in an area with those.
The mirrors on both of our cars are scratched up because a blue jay would sit out there all day pecking at his reflection. They're also just dicks. Blue jays are jerks.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Bumblefuck! posted:

Thanks for all the nyarms.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

This cat's name is Mr. Meowgi, no lie.

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

Bumblefuck! posted:

+ + :catdrugs: = :kimchi:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Bumblefuck! posted:

Glad Frankie got a good home, such a goofy catte :3:

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Still love this video any time its posted, nekkid cats in baths are great :)

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Away all Goats posted:

Sorry to lay down some hard truths here but you're wrong. Quokkas or baby Kookaburras are the best. To depart from :australia: though you'll find that Highland Cows are far superior.

fake edit: Baby wombats are also amazing

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy

GWBBQ posted:

They're also just dicks. Blue jays are jerks.

My apartment has large sliding glass doors at the back to go out onto the ... patio-ette. My cats love looking out of these because there is a little wooded area just outside full of squirrels and birds.

The loving jays will come right up to the goddamn door and taunt the cats. Peck the glass, make noise, dance. The cats lose their little damned kitty minds. Brazen fuckers.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Geolicious posted:

My apartment has large sliding glass doors at the back to go out onto the ... patio-ette. My cats love looking out of these because there is a little wooded area just outside full of squirrels and birds.

The loving jays will come right up to the goddamn door and taunt the cats. Peck the glass, make noise, dance. The cats lose their little damned kitty minds. Brazen fuckers.

The ones around here are also assholes to everyone else at the bird bath. Meanwhile the grackles are incredibly chill and will hang out with sparrows, finches, squirrels, pretty much anything.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Geolicious posted:

Weird. The blue jays in the area where I live spend half the time making a godawful racket and the other half of the time dive-bombing hawks, crows, ospreys, and other birds bigger than themselves.

It's the mockingbirds and boat-tailed grackles that are psychopaths, especially the mockers.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
This dog is BREAKING THE LAW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-zeCXlFPjk

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

The Jays around here (Michigan) don't raise a fuss at all, though you can hear them often enough. I'm pretty sure it's because the Cardinals have them on lock down and kick their rear end if they start trouble. Cardinals have a reputation for being mean, yet seem to spend all their time just watching everyone else. Watching. Waiting.

nitebum
Aug 9, 2005

crazy beard for the win

from: bunny food - http://bunnyfood.tumblr.com/post/119442315272/via-gifsboom-video

The video is good too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VSQy9ANMzg

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

http://i.imgur.com/H6fcX6q.gifv

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

I think I'd stop breathing if that happened to me.

Appaloosa foal.

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9MYmbrEUm4

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Mother "re-enacts" her daughter coming out of the closet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAwad6dSjn0

Spoiled bunny groans and thumps when the petting stops
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWkmEhNYVF0

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Is the big plastic flower to attract their attention to the nectar?

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Is the big plastic flower to attract their attention to the nectar?

Yeah, hummingbirds are attracted to bright colors when looking for nectar. It's why the hummingbird mask works:

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

FutonForensic posted:

Yeah, hummingbirds are attracted to bright colors when looking for nectar. It's why the hummingbird mask works:

Doesn't explain why they exist though.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Karl Sharks posted:

Doesn't explain why they exist though.

How else are you going to trick a hummingbird into poking you in the eye?

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)
We have some unusual predators in this area, and lots of people think they're horrible and gross, but I think they're kind of cute.

Fisher cats:

Just don't leave small dogs unattended in your yards. Also make sure your screens are very secure, because I've heard of them grabbing cats from people's windows.

We also have these guys, but they're less vicious...

Beavers (can still give you a nasty bite if you provoke them):

And otters (I... don't think these guys will attack):

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

FutonForensic posted:

Someone somewhere has jerked off wearing that.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

"That's enough the that, young man!"

the_sea_hag
Oct 9, 2012
LOAF FANCIER

Abbeh posted:

We have some unusual predators in this area, and lots of people think they're horrible and gross, but I think they're kind of cute.

Fisher cats:

Just don't leave small dogs unattended in your yards. Also make sure your screens are very secure, because I've heard of them grabbing cats from people's windows.

We also have these guys, but they're less vicious...

Beavers (can still give you a nasty bite if you provoke them):

I knew fisher cats were motherfuckers, but I didn't know they were...cute. :qq:

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Not much of a photo, but I think it's uplifting. My friend adopted the orange kitten a few weeks ago. She found out yesterday that his tuxedo brother had yet to be adopted. So yeah.

Kon Tiki and Essex are in the "getting to know you again" stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

Abbeh posted:

Otters can attack people, but it's pretty rare. Last summer, a few swimmers in my area were attacked by otters, each occurrence made local news. That being said, recently one of the top stories was about a loon stuck in a puddle in a parking lot (apparently they can only take off from water and the puddle wasn't big enough), so the police put it in a kennel, drove it a few miles to a lake, and released it. :3:

• Locked thread