Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

NikkolasKing posted:

Are there any FF2 hacks out there?

...what? I like that game and wish someone would fix it.

I'm with you on this, I want to like FF2 but the nes version is broken beyond belief and the modernized versions are way too easy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Maybe I'm the weird one, then, because A) I found blasting my way through the World of Darkness with Sage/Sage/Ninja/Ninja was fun and B) I don't really see a difference between "Black Mage -> Better Black Mage" and "Better Black Mage -> ULTIMATE SPELLCASTER". :shrug:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Kyrosiris posted:

Maybe I'm the weird one, then, because A) I found blasting my way through the World of Darkness with Sage/Sage/Ninja/Ninja was fun and B) I don't really see a difference between "Black Mage -> Better Black Mage" and "Better Black Mage -> ULTIMATE SPELLCASTER". :shrug:

It's fine as the first attempt at a job system in FF but later games developed a more interesting and balanced system where your options were better and not 1 to 1 upgrades. The latter design makes for better games with more staying power

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Kyrosiris posted:

I think what they're asking for is a change to ALL classes to avoid that feeling of "X new class replaces Y old class" and giving all of them something to make them worthwhile in a general way. Which is really what the new job systems are, and is a much better way of going about it.

It seems like kind of a fruitless struggle because FFIII has plenty of other problems besides its class system, like having a boring story even by FF standards.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

The Black Stones posted:

I like the idea of Type-0, where you should play it again after beating it because there's so many additional things you can do. However, I'm at Chapter 5 and I'm getting super bored with the game now, and have stopped finding things all that fun. I'm super close to getting a platinum in the game though, so I'm going to finish my first playthrough and then I probably won't touch it ever again. I might even sell it depending how I feel after I beat it. The voice acting sucks, the plot isn't all the great, and really I think it would have worked a lot better as a Vita title then a Ps4 title.

Protip: remote play it on your Vita, get the best of both worlds. I've been remote playing from the opposite side of the continent without material issues.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Fungah! posted:

they did that, it was called ff5. and then they released a sequel called bravely default

why would you play bravely default, it sucks

ff5 is good though

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

ManOfTheYear posted:

So are the ps1 versions of ff1 and 2 better than the gba versions?

FF1 is better on PS1 unless you want it to be a cakewalk, which in fairness you might. FF2 is better on GBA, but consider that you have the option to not play it at all.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
So does anyone know why Lightning Returns have not hit Steam yet? Any words from SE?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Last they said on the matter was "Spring 2015" and that was before 13-2 was released.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's still technically Spring for another month

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

RadicalR posted:

So does anyone know why Lightning Returns have not hit Steam yet? Any words from SE?

They're adding new content, doubling the size of Lightning's wardrobe and fixing up the model on that one dog.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

why would you play bravely default, it sucks

ff5 is good though

vravely default was good until it stopped being good. that's better than most games do

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

They're adding new content, doubling the size of Lightning's wardrobe and fixing up the model on that one dog.

:mrwhite:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Dragonatrix posted:

But... the entire point of it is that it is the correct choice. You get it and Ninja right before the final boss. They're transparently not meant to be balanced.
that's boring though

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

whoops wrong smiley, meant :mrgw:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Fungah! posted:

vravely default was good until it stopped being good. that's better than most games do

I thought it was great until it stopped being great and was just good. If it didn't have the encounter/speed options, it would have become unplayable at that point though.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Every RPG should be required to let you choose your encounter rate at your whims.

I can't even imagine how people originally played BD without that feature.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

That dog is already perfect as is.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

CeallaSo posted:

I think what they're asking for is a change to ALL classes to avoid that feeling of "X new class replaces Y old class" and giving all of them something to make them worthwhile in a general way.

That was what FF3 DS did to the job system and I remember a lot of complaints about how lovely that was and how it hosed up the job system. I mean I fail to see the point of this patch because if all they're going to do is gently caress up the job system like the DS version did why wouldn't you just play the DS version?

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Twelve by Pies posted:

That was what FF3 DS did to the job system and I remember a lot of complaints about how lovely that was and how it hosed up the job system. I mean I fail to see the point of this patch because if all they're going to do is gently caress up the job system like the DS version did why wouldn't you just play the DS version?

The DS version changed it for worse, not better, i.e. basically nerfing classes that were good and not really buffing the other classes much at all to compensate. So overall you were weaker and it loving sucked.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Didn't they make it so you couldn't easily switch jobs in FF3DS too?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Nihilarian posted:

Didn't they make it so you couldn't easily switch jobs in FF3DS too?

It was technically easier since, instead of having to grind battles to gain a currency to switch jobs, you could just do it and take stat penalties for the next X battles. Turns out that wasn't well-received either. It's almost like limiting the ability to change jobs is a dumb idea they should've removed in the remake or something (see every job system since letting you switch at your own whims).

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Mega64 posted:

It was technically easier since, instead of having to grind battles to gain a currency to switch jobs, you could just do it and take stat penalties for the next X battles. Turns out that wasn't well-received either. It's almost like limiting the ability to change jobs is a dumb idea they should've removed in the remake or something (see every job system since letting you switch at your own whims).

Well that's because Capacity was amazingly plentiful, whereas sticking you with a 50% hit to your loving stats for ten battles (which stacked if you changed within those battles) is mad stupid. :v:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Also job level increase is capped to one per battle so the only way to catch a new job up to an old one is tediously grinding random encounters

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Also job levels sucked because it only gave stat boosts to that one job. FF5 / BD at least gave you neat new abilities that you could use and transfer to future jobs instead of all those levels in Black Mage going to waste in FF3

j/k all those levels in Black Mage meant you had a lower total HP value than if you were any other class

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ManOfTheYear posted:

So are the ps1 versions of ff1 and 2 better than the gba versions?

I played a good chunk of Origins and Dawn of Souls and found them roughly the same. I found Dawn of Souls a bit harder but I think that might be because I was a chump and used weapons. Gus Unarmed seems to be the way to go.

Origins has a wonderful little mechanic where you can level up your magic or other stats by Selecting them then Deselecting them. The game still thinks you used the spell or attack so you still gain levels even without wasting a turn. You can do this forever to jump up your stats to ridiculous levels in one little random encounter.

Dawn of Souls has a whole extra dungeon or boss or something though for the characters that died. That was a neat addition. A lot of characters die in FF2.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Play FF1 on the NES and don't play FF2 at all imo

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Play FF1 on the NES and don't play FF2 at all imo

Play Romancing SaGa on the PS2 instead of FF2.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

MonsieurChoc posted:

Play Romancing SaGa on the PS2 instead of FF2.

Romancing SaGa 3 on the SNES, SaGa Frontier on the PS1, and Final Fantasy Legend 2 on the Gameboy are also acceptable imo.

The thing about the SaGa series is that while most of the games in it are just as bad as Final Fantasy 2 mechanically, and usually feature many of the same mechanics, or even dumber more inscrutable versions, they also have good art/music sometimes or weird unique qualities that make them interesting.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

GreatRedSpirit posted:

j/k all those levels in Black Mage meant you had a lower total HP value than if you were any other class
Scholars had just slightly worse HP growth :eng101:

Zombies' Downfall posted:

The thing about the SaGa series is that while most of the games in it are just as bad as Final Fantasy 2 mechanically, and usually feature many of the same mechanics, or even dumber more inscrutable versions, they also have good art/music sometimes or weird unique qualities that make them interesting.
Including "a semblance of balance," especially in the PS2 remake of Romancing SaGa. It expected you to try to at least understand some of the systems in the game, but you could almost get away with faking it. The midgame's regular enemies scaled much better so they didn't ruin your poo poo because you accidentally got too much HP, and the major bosses were pumped up to make them more fun/less of a joke.

Honestly, I'm pretty pumped about The Last Remnant too, but I'll get back to you on whether or not it's among the SaGa games you should play or one that you should avoid.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The Last Remnant is good, assuming you play the PC version where they fixed everything.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I just beat bravely default and xenoblade and was looking to pick up a new game. How is chrono trigger?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

:mediocre:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i kinda just wanted to use that. it's good, i don't think it's anywhere near the greatest game ever made like some people do but i imagine pretty much everyone can enjoy it.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Play Chrono Cross before Trigger. That's my honest advice. If you play Trigger then want to play Cross, it'll only make you hate Cross. But if you play it before, then it'll hurt less.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

RC Cola posted:

I just beat bravely default and xenoblade and was looking to pick up a new game. How is chrono trigger?

chrono trigger is very good and this

Gologle posted:

Play Chrono Cross before Trigger. That's my honest advice. If you play Trigger then want to play Cross, it'll only make you hate Cross. But if you play it before, then it'll hurt less.

is very lovely advice. just an fyi, the psn version is the psx version, which has incredibly lovely load times (2-3s every time you open the menu) so if you can find the ds version or the snes version play those instead. the extra ds content sucks rear end though, don't bother

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Cross will make even less sense if you haven't played Trigger. Or at least, the parts where it ties in, rather than feeling at least a little satisfying, will just be nonsense.

Also, Chrono Cross has the best video game soundtrack of all time and nothing else even comes close.

Dross fucked around with this message at 04:05 on May 20, 2015

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Gologle posted:

chrono cross is good

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Dross posted:

Also, Chrono Cross has the best video game soundtrack of all time and nothing else even comes close.

Lying isn't a nice thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
All the Chrono games own but Trigger is best.