Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

sector_corrector posted:

also, am i right in thinking that the player character was injected with some sort of kindred blood in an effort to create a god on earth? that's what i've surmised since you have chosen undead like powers, and the messengers look like little tiny aliens

im not huge into lore but on the character creation screen it looks like the player is turning into a beast... but when u start the game, the fur and stuff is all gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i thought maybe the player character was different, since he was suffering from some exotic foreign disease and yarnham is typically closed to outsiders

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
What I gathered is that the brygenwrath scholar types were experimenting with occult space species blood trying to evolve humans to Great One competing-levels and gave everyone wolf-HIV, then the healing church sprang up to tend to wolf-AIDS outbreaks.

They also hosed around with other types of blood, like Cainhurst Vilebloods, the spiders, flies, etc but idk how it fits in really other than the church didn't like it

Dec 26, 2012

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

Im still kinda surprised they didn't include a curse equivalent in this game in the form of blood borne AIDS viruses if you took blood from a specific npc or something

yeah i assumed beasthood was gonna be this based on the beginning of the game but it ended up being this strange thing that one item and one weapon use

SleepySonata
Mar 3, 2010
I figured one of three things happen to you after you get hit with Old Blood: Beast curse, Church curse, wesker baby Hunter curse.

I think hunters are called by the moon presence who marionettes a hunter who the Little Ones (failed products of tentacle rape) worship to exacerbate/persist the effect of the pale blood moon.

gently caress. marry. t-rex posted:

What I gathered is that the brygenwrath scholar types were experimenting with occult space species blood trying to evolve humans to Great One competing-levels and gave everyone wolf-HIV, then the healing church sprang up to tend to wolf-AIDS outbreaks.

They also hosed around with other types of blood, like Cainhurst Vilebloods, the spiders, flies, etc but idk how it fits in really other than the church didn't like it

I think the church didn't like the vilebloods because they were the closest to having a horror baby and the Vileblood were also tremendous faggots and the church hates gays so they get crushed into paste and eyes cut out and throats slashed.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i dont 'get' the jail, like after it changes into the yahargul all the kidnappers have been killed for some reason and there's weird poo poo like the corpse lanterns in craters. i guess its indicative of the antagonistic relationship among the great ones but thats really the only time its seen in game

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
idk about lore, but it's cool to see the area change between the relatively normal "werewolf infestation" part of the game and the chaotic disgusting "woops we made contact with an eldritch god" part of the game

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

it hosed me up when I reached that upper lantern and was thinking "oh finally made it up here, I could always see the upper floor" and then running around the side to reach where I thought the lantern would be only to realize it was missing and then actually take a look at my surroundings to find everything was completely different. Incredible stuff

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

it hosed me up when I reached that upper lantern and was thinking "oh finally made it up here, I could always see the upper floor" and then running around the side to reach where I thought the lantern would be only to realize it was missing and then actually take a look at my surroundings to find everything was completely different. Incredible stuff

yeah, that's one thing i think BB is better at than either dark souls game, making good use of vantage points and scenery to give you a feeling of accomplishment when you get back to a certain area. like i mentioned before, looking down on Amelia's arena from the entrance to Eberitas' and realizing how far you've progressed since then.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

I.N.R.I posted:

some cool touches i like - creepy whispering in the ambient sound in the windmill in the forbidden woods, and the corpse pit on the way to iosefka's clinic rear entrance has the ambient sound of the imposter iosefka's weird feverish breathing if you stand in it for a while

I thought I was going crazy when I heard that whispering. Also the singing Brain Trusts.

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 19, 2015

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

I.N.R.I posted:

the hosed up looking ones in the dark choir room are my fav... especialyl the really tall streetlamp looking one and the one holding a staff that makes it look like one of those mind flayers with the worm thing coming out of it

I like the veiled Nun ones with the candles.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

sector_corrector posted:

idk about lore, but it's cool to see the area change between the relatively normal "werewolf infestation" part of the game and the chaotic disgusting "woops we made contact with an eldritch god" part of the game

Yeah the enemies up until right after the Shadows (depending on progression of course) are relatively Normal/Humanoid looking. Then the Eye things appear and the enemies get really loving weird.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

sector_corrector posted:

yeah, that's one thing i think BB is better at than either dark souls game, making good use of vantage points and scenery to give you a feeling of accomplishment when you get back to a certain area. like i mentioned before, looking down on Amelia's arena from the entrance to Eberitas' and realizing how far you've progressed since then.

The only thing i feel is underdevelopled about bb's map design is that i feel like the shortcuts that go between different zones (for instance paarl-old yarnham) are under utilized. You open them but there's no real reason to go through more than once.

I kinda wish there were more places like the blacksmith tower in ds1 where multiple areas shared the same spawn point or opening the doors in the aquaduct/undead burg got you in and out of lower burg/the depths without a new bonfire.

the woods/clinic path is a good example of this done well in bb. Like why not have an elevator activate in upper ward that brings you down to the lantern in the lower cathedral after you beat the boss? why put two lanterns right on top of another one?

that's probably enough nitpicking of a basically perfect game world though.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
being able to teleport between bonfires at the very start means there is little reason to due amazing shortcuts.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

stoutfish posted:

being able to teleport between bonfires at the very start means there is little reason to due amazing shortcuts.

yeah i figured. my solution would have been fewer bonfires and more shortcuts instead but i'm a putz on the internet and loved the game anyway.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Real hurthling! posted:

The only thing i feel is underdevelopled about bb's map design is that i feel like the shortcuts that go between different zones (for instance paarl-old yarnham) are under utilized. You open them but there's no real reason to go through more than once.

I kinda wish there were more places like the blacksmith tower in ds1 where multiple areas shared the same spawn point or opening the doors in the aquaduct/undead burg got you in and out of lower burg/the depths without a new bonfire.

the woods/clinic path is a good example of this done well in bb. Like why not have an elevator activate in upper ward that brings you down to the lantern in the lower cathedral after you beat the boss? why put two lanterns right on top of another one?

that's probably enough nitpicking of a basically perfect game world though.

yeah, a lot of times you beat a boss and it's just like the end of the line. like blood starved beast. not a huge deal. i think to a certain extent DS1 was just really good at that sort of thing.

a similar gripe is that there's never the same feeling of firelink, since oedon chapel has a similar purpose, but you have to go out of your way to port back there from the dream

Dec 26, 2012

sector_corrector posted:

yeah, a lot of times you beat a boss and it's just like the end of the line. like blood starved beast. not a huge deal. i think to a certain extent DS1 was just really good at that sort of thing.

a similar gripe is that there's never the same feeling of firelink, since oedon chapel has a similar purpose, but you have to go out of your way to port back there from the dream

i dont mind bloodstarved because you get the chalice by beating him which opens far more up

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

sector_corrector posted:

yeah that was annoying. I was really expecting at some point that the dream would end and you'd wake up in the abandoned one as a huge mindfuck and the nearby chapel was close enough that it could be your new base or whatever. they way they did it i basically only went back for the npc items when i remembered.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyNmoWxErHU

firelink feels...

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
i like dark souls 1 slightly more than bloodborne

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I like demons slightly more than Bloodborne but I haven't played it in a few years and I really want to again

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
i tried to replay it just before i got my ps4 and the combat doesnt feel anywhere near as good as in ds1 , i couldnt get over it. im glad i played it first

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I have good memories of ds1 but I think the boss fights in bloodborne are way more tightly designed and that's p much the whole draw of the game play to me.

I do wonder why they don't have any miniboss 1 time spawn things in bloodborne, other than hunter fights... that first spider room in Mensis really comes to mind as something I didn't want to clear 7 times

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i just started a skill character and picked threaded cane as my starter. i like it ok, but cleric beast was a pain in the rear end (i still beat him in one attempt, but ended up using ten molotovs to speed things along). i feel bad for new players who do that same thing, because if you suck at the game then that has to feel impossible.

Dec 26, 2012

sector_corrector posted:

i just started a skill character and picked threaded cane as my starter. i like it ok, but cleric beast was a pain in the rear end (i still beat him in one attempt, but ended up using ten molotovs to speed things along). i feel bad for new players who do that same thing, because if you suck at the game then that has to feel impossible.

i did this, and by "this" i mean "give up on the cane for fighting the cleric beast once i found the saw spear"

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
i used to be pissed off about the number of weapons in bloodborne but now i think its cool because all of them are good and viable

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

cane is good for distance but i won't probably pick it again because the axe makes the first half the game much faster.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
saw cleaver for the god damned win.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

rediscover posted:

i used to be pissed off about the number of weapons in bloodborne but now i think its cool because all of them are good and viable

most of the weapons are also two different weapons

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

GulagDolls posted:

most of the weapons are also two different weapons

gently caress me.... i almost forgot. hell yeah

Dec 26, 2012

rediscover posted:

yeah. i do wish there were a few more for each stat tho

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

if you get two wheels you should be able to dual wield them and ride around like a car

if you take the time to invest in two weapons with significantly different trick forms like the cane and the scythe its like you're quad-wielding... pvp monster

speaking of i fought a japanese player who combined his arcane fire whip build with oil urns to do.....unreal amounts of damage.like 70 percent of my hp bar.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i hope dlc brings new weapons

a rapier that is also a giant needle that injects dizzy juice

a trick mop for wiping up blood

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

it would have been cool if bosses dropped a bloodborne version of boss souls and that u could use to make boss weapons. a rom weapon or a wet nurse weapon would be epic

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
hm.. a weapon that lets you punch things and then it turns into a weapon that lets you kick things

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

01011001 posted:

i did this, and by "this" i mean "give up on the cane for fighting the cleric beast once i found the saw spear"

i used cane on my first playthrough and never fought cleric beast till way later in the game because I didn't realize I had just walked right past it. Gascoigne was a mf'er especially since I hadn't leveled

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?
I just finished dark souls and it was so good I'm buying a ps 4 just for bloodborne.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
Slowbeefs lp is gay so im doing my own. Be sure to tune in

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
it did feel good to go back with a second character and basically waltz through that first section in central yarnham without dying once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Fighting cleric beast was a bitch with a cane. I tried to do it on a second playthrough and you hit for like 45 damage :geno: that fight would have lasted like 20 minutes

I went and bought the hunting axe and ended up using that at like 10 str for half the run because it is a superior weapon