Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
couwy
Nov 9, 2009

~just feels good~

CJ posted:

What's the goof?

Think about what Dio did to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

couwy posted:

He doesn't become a vampire until Polnareff stabs him in the face, if that's what you mean.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

couwy posted:

I think the justification was that vampirification takes time. He also didn't fangs when we first saw him so

couwy
Nov 9, 2009

~just feels good~
Ohh I see. I figured that he was a vampire immediately upon being revived. Just found it weird considering he remains inside in Cream in that scene in the manga.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
He gets the fangs as soon as Polnareff stabs him in the face. At the end of the fight when Vanilla Ice is getting killed by sunlight he says he killed his old body which caused it to turn into the same as Dio's. How they explain why it didn't count as him being dead when he cut his own head off is another question.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

couwy posted:

Ohh I see. I figured that he was a vampire immediately upon being revived. Just found it weird considering he remains inside in Cream in that scene in the manga.

Also he's rolling around in his own tiny sphere world so I assumed that's how he was dodging sunlight for most of the fight.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
He was only a vampire from the waist down at that point, I guess.

Also

Polnareff is dressed like The World (with Star Platinum's loincloth) in his flashback.

Speaking of other references I found on Tumblr, here's Suzie Q walking seductively at a funeral and in her husband's empty office.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 17, 2015

couwy
Nov 9, 2009

~just feels good~

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

To be fair, those gams are supernatural.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
So I'm about to finish Stone Ocean, loving it by the way, and I'm reading it in this nice giant PDF file someone made.
I'm about to leave on vacation and would like to start Steel Ball Run on the plane and wanted to pick up a PDF version of it but can't find one.
Does such a thing exist and where can I get it? Thank you.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

couwy posted:

This week's anime ep was very well done, but this kept bugging the poo poo out of me

Kind of a big goof to make considering how the fight ends.

I assumed he's supposed to be a fairly well-lit area but not in direct view of the sun so it didn't count. Every time we see the sun destroy a vampire they are viewing it directly, I think.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

YF-23 posted:

I assumed he's supposed to be a fairly well-lit area but not in direct view of the sun so it didn't count. Every time we see the sun destroy a vampire they are viewing it directly, I think.

It's literally his vampirification hadn't completed yet. You'll notice if you rewatch the episode that his teeth are normal human teeth until shortly after he gets stabbed in the brainstem by polnareff. Then he suddenly has vampire teeth (though they draw no attention to it).

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Speaking of other references I found on Tumblr, here's Suzie Q walking seductively at a funeral and in her husband's empty office.

Look, Kakyoin, I know Suzy Q is hot and all, but I'm not sure I get the reference outside of 'she does a thing she did when she was young'

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

"If Jotaro's mom is hot....then his mom's mom must be twice as hot!"

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

So I'm about to finish Stone Ocean, loving it by the way, and I'm reading it in this nice giant PDF file someone made.
I'm about to leave on vacation and would like to start Steel Ball Run on the plane and wanted to pick up a PDF version of it but can't find one.
Does such a thing exist and where can I get it? Thank you.

Are you reading it on a tablet or a PC?

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

Are you reading it on a tablet or a PC?
PC

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You can just read it in whatever format you can find it using any comic reader you can get on your smartphone, tablet, or PC.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Also

Polnareff is dressed like The World (with Star Platinum's loincloth) in his flashback.

If you got it, you got it for good and Suzy Q got it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, I'm not sure what I was talking about with the Suzie Q reference. I was half asleep at the time I wrote that and probably just wanted an excuse to post seductive Suzie Q. :v:

That being said, playing through the Cairo portion of The 7th Stand User reminded me of something when I got to the Hol Horse portion.

Alternatively, substitute Gyro and Johnny with .

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Is there a pun I'm missing here? Something about Kakyoin and crepes?

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
I made a silly video about one of my favourite things in Season One of the anime. Some of you guys might get a kick out of it: https://youtu.be/eYFOZ44Z8IU

That extensive lead-in to the end credits. Goddamn. I miss it. Wish they'd done something similar with lead ins in Part 3's adaptation but I guess the songs wouldn't work quite as well.

As soon as it first happened I knew it was the anime for me.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Kakyoin can be pretty crepe-y when it comes to moms. :downsrim:

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Which group or blog should I monitor if I want to know exactly when new updates are made in the Vento Aureo re-translation situation? I have a friend reading through part 4 and he's apprehensive about part 5, and I want to convince him to just read the lovely translation because it will be a long time before its fixed, but also want to give him the 2 or 3 volumes already fixed.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

JoJo's Coloured Adventure are the ones doing it quickest now. Not often though. I also tend to post the links when I find out there are new chapters out too.

PoshAlligator posted:

I made a silly video about one of my favourite things in Season One of the anime. Some of you guys might get a kick out of it: https://youtu.be/eYFOZ44Z8IU

That extensive lead-in to the end credits. Goddamn. I miss it. Wish they'd done something similar with lead ins in Part 3's adaptation but I guess the songs wouldn't work quite as well.

As soon as it first happened I knew it was the anime for me.

Roundabout makes anything better.
I liked it, but I think doing it 4 times in one video sort of dulls the impact a little.

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Kakyoin once fed a baby its own crepe.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Creeps are a food with a cultural impact felt around The World

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Creeps are a food with a cultural impact felt around The World

This is a naan bread.
He has nothing to do with this.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i was looking at the youtube comments of avdol's death scene from the OVA, and the number of people saying his death was way better in the OVA was absolutely infuriating. even worse, there's a good amount of people saying the vanilla ice fight as a whole was better handled in the OVA :psyduck:

the worst part of that scene is avdol trying to blurt out the secret of dio's stand right before he dies. as if he could loving figure that out from having it used on him only once. also, polnareff is loving unbearable

Condiv fucked around with this message at 09:13 on May 20, 2015

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
People don't seem to understand that monologues don't occur in real time.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Kurtofan posted:

People don't seem to understand that monologues don't occur in real time.

yeah, that and "why didn't polnareff jump out of the circle and escape vanilla's attack", completely ignoring that that would require polnareff using his mangled leg to push

really, the only problem I have with araki's version of the vanilla ice fight is why vanilla ice has only half-vampire/ghoul, and why him dying a second time completed his transition into an undead. that can be kind of explained though if vanilla's head hadn't actually died yet when dio resuscitated him with his blood

Condiv fucked around with this message at 10:17 on May 20, 2015

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
The latest episode is full of ~anime time~. Had to have the time for Iggy to be brutally beat down to drive home the point that Vanilla Ice is hosed up but not have Polnareff stab the guy in the back.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
One of the advantages of manga over anime is that reading is instantaneous. Vanilla Ice is just as chatty in the source material as he is in the adaptation, but you parse his dialogue in seconds, making everything feel much tighter. Listening presents a longer time commitment, so it feels like everyone's just kinda hanging around waiting for him to finish.

Stuff like this bothers you less if you're willing to embrace anime on more theatrical terms though.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Bad Seafood posted:

One of the advantages of manga over anime is that reading is instantaneous. Vanilla Ice is just as chatty in the source material as he is in the adaptation, but you parse his dialogue in seconds, making everything feel much tighter. Listening presents a longer time commitment, so it feels like everyone's just kinda hanging around waiting for him to finish.

Stuff like this bothers you less if you're willing to embrace anime on more theatrical terms though.

And on the flipside, manga gives you as much time as you want to take in a shot. I felt the first copper's death in part 1 where Dio just cut off half his head like that and killed the other guys with the flying body parts was much better delivered in the manga where you could just linger on the panels. Granted, there was also the censorship in the anime TV release, but I felt the pace of the action didn't help either.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

YF-23 posted:

And on the flipside, manga gives you as much time as you want to take in a shot. I felt the first copper's death in part 1 where Dio just cut off half his head like that and killed the other guys with the flying body parts was much better delivered in the manga where you could just linger on the panels. Granted, there was also the censorship in the anime TV release, but I felt the pace of the action didn't help either.

Speaking of things that I feel were a little mis-timed in the anime, I think they should have lingered on Iggy's "You wanna mess with me?" face when Chibi and Buchi try to attack him before Pet Shop. It's only like a second long in the anime, but pretty iconic in the manga.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Condiv posted:

yeah, that and "why didn't polnareff jump out of the circle and escape vanilla's attack", completely ignoring that that would require polnareff using his mangled leg to push

really, the only problem I have with araki's version of the vanilla ice fight is why vanilla ice has only half-vampire/ghoul, and why him dying a second time completed his transition into an undead. that can be kind of explained though if vanilla's head hadn't actually died yet when dio resuscitated him with his blood
Didn't the OVA also excise the stupid bit with iggy knowing what DIO looked and sounded like (and also somehow being able to aurally mimic him)? They both have problems, but I like the TV version better.

I don't think they'll be able to top the OVA version of the final fight though.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Iggy DIO clone works on the same rule as all the other things in JoJo that make little sense.

"poo poo's fun, roll with it."

e: The whole thing with PB Vol 3's Hardcover being listed on Amazon UK as releasing tomorrow is most definitely an error as well, though there was little doubt. Nothing happening with my pre-order at least, but my Vol 2 pre-order is progressing :v:.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 12:49 on May 20, 2015

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i like to imagine Polnareff doing a DIO imitation for Iggy while they're hiding in the sand pit.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Relin posted:

Didn't the OVA also excise the stupid bit with iggy knowing what DIO looked and sounded like (and also somehow being able to aurally mimic him)? They both have problems, but I like the TV version better.

I don't think they'll be able to top the OVA version of the final fight though.

They'll have issues solely on the point of censorship. It was great watching Jotaro brutalize DIO

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

He still has his shirt on when they come out, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm looking forward to DIO running over a big pile of black mist, and then Jotaro punching another big pile of mist and shattering the black mist inside DIO's head. (That'll be where he keeps it when he's not using it as a mask).

E: JoJolion #43 summary (Japanese)
http://araki100p.web.fc2.com/jojolion043.html

Apparently there's a new PIZZA MOZZARELLA. HYPE.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 14:02 on May 20, 2015

• Locked thread