Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Focus is still my favorite POS, hands down. Fast, easy, reliable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Psssssst. Vermouth is wine-based but it's not wine. I love vermouth.

2parts old tom gin
1 part dolin blanc
3-4dash smoked orange or lavender bitters
Big, huge swath of grapefruit peel, express and drop into coupe.

I shake mine and double strain because I like mine really chilly but you do you, boo.

E: I prefer Haymans but Plymouth can be a nice sub if your bar doesn't have Old Tom.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Phanatic posted:

I'd never had the latter before, but I just had to order 3 bottles of Gran Classico (thanks, PA liquor laws) in order to give one of them as a gift, so I made one up tonight with some Rittenhouse Rye.

Holy poo poo, that might be my new favorite cocktail.

Boulevardiers are the poo poo.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I took some McCormick vodka, no name tequila, and a Tecate; swirled it with limeade, michelada salt, and lime wedges expressed and dropped in a perfectly sweaty Taco Bell cup.

Holy poo poo that might be my new favorite cocktail.

16 hour shifts for four days straight. I am in a zone that scares me.

edit: just got asked to do morning prep at 4am after getting home at 2am. Who's the loving liar on these forums that said hotel jobs were the poo poo??

fizzymercury fucked around with this message at 09:02 on May 20, 2015

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Just say no.

Last day is tomorrow. Feels good man.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
gently caress, now I really want a boulevardier.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Oh boy we just hired this smoking hottie. She looks like she gets down as well. Lions jumping on meat about to happen.

Don't poo poo where you eat!!!! Ahhhhhh!

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

From what I have seen, people in this industry by and large are incapable of making solid life choices.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Secret Spoon posted:

From what I have seen, people in this industry by and large are incapable of making solid life choices.

Wouldn't that be preselected for with the whole decision to be in the restaurant industry in the first place? :v:

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

A Man and his dog posted:

Oh boy we just hired this smoking hottie. She looks like she gets down as well. Lions jumping on meat about to happen.

DEAR LIVEJOURNAL

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Turkeybone posted:

DEAR LIVEJOURNAL

My other, other HC is an idiot and can;t cook, that's why I serve. lol hottie, don't poo poo where you eat, amirite?

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Sorry. Not one single hot woman has worked in this place in the last ten years soooo yeahhh.

Lmao yeah the other HC who has had multiple complaints about his cooking. Hence why he doesn't work any nights and just preps!

A Man and his dog fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 20, 2015

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

My other, other HC is an idiot and can;t cook, that's why I serve. lol hottie, don't poo poo where you eat, amirite?

I always feel bad for attractive women who work at restaurants.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I always feel bad for hopeful people who work at restaurants.

FTFY

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

I seriously have entries like this in my diary.txt from when I was 13

they ended at around 15 or 16 (just fyi) [hopin you're 15 or 16]

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Wouldn't that be preselected for with the whole decision to be in the restaurant industry in the first place? :v:

Maybe!

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Sorry. Not one single hot woman has worked in this place in the last ten years soooo yeahhh.

Lmao yeah the other HC who has had multiple complaints about his cooking. Hence why he doesn't work any nights and just preps!

You post more about your HC than you do about yourself.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Last day was today. New GM asked me if I was sure I didn't want to stay on and manage with him? He seems like a really solid boss, but I don't believe in the owners. So I cleared out my locker, got in my car, lit up a celebratory cigar, and drove home.

Wonder what's next.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:fap:

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
I've never really understood rigid anti-workplace dating stances. Act like adults, don't make a big deal of it, and agree beforehand to still do your jobs and ignore the inevitable efforts of your coworkers to damage the relationship purely for their own entertainment. I guess if your workplace is your career you might want to err on the side of caution, but to me this is nothing more than something to pay the bills and get me through school so I can get into a career I truly enjoy and take pride in. Not taking a shot at people who do this as a lifelong career, more power to you for being able to enjoy it and I know most of y'all are much better cooks/chefs than I'll ever be but I meet someone I genuinely have a lot in common with and enjoy being around (as opposed to "I'm a horny teenager and can't control my sexual impulses") I'm not going to automatically chase the thought away because I happen to work with that person.

Now, I can understand policies/attitudes against two people dating when one of them supervises the other because that is almost guaranteed to be a headache for everybody no matter how many good intentions are thrown into it. Of course, this is all my personal experience and while I have been at this for 10 years, I've not been around nearly as long as most and I've always been more on the casual/chain side of things.

At the risk of entering the dreaded territory of diary entries, it feels really really good to hear that someone you previously trained was singing your praises to your bosses.

You know what doesn't feel good? Your coworker showing you that he can't get the gas grill to relight, so you maybe go back behind the grill and fiddle around for thirty seconds before discovering that the gas hose is barely hanging off of what is supposed to be a solid connection to the grill. I popped it back into correct position, but here's hoping that it actually gets inspected by someone with some actual knowledge and maybe, just maybe, fixed if necessary because if that hose happens to come all the way off well that's quite a lot of gas being pumped right out into the air and that grill isn't the only flame back there. Maybe I'm being overly dramatic but I know you do not jack around with gas and I'd prefer not to be victim/witness to what happens when a bunch of improperly contained gas decides to have a workplace relationship with an open flame.

Oh, and there's this: "See, that's why I don't like sharp knives, man. Way too easy to cut yourself."

Vorenus fucked around with this message at 15:14 on May 21, 2015

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

Vorenus posted:

I've never really understood rigid anti-workplace dating stances. Act like adults, don't make a big deal of it, and agree beforehand to still do your jobs and ignore the inevitable efforts of your coworkers to damage the relationship purely for their own entertainment. I guess if your workplace is your career you might want to err on the side of caution, but to me this is nothing more than something to pay the bills and get me through school so I can get into a career I truly enjoy and take pride in. Not taking a shot at people who do this as a lifelong career, more power to you for being able to enjoy it and I know most of y'all are much better cooks/chefs than I'll ever be but I meet someone I genuinely have a lot in common with and enjoy being around (as opposed to "I'm a horny teenager and can't control my sexual impulses") I'm not going to automatically chase the thought away because I happen to work with that person.

Now, I can understand policies/attitudes against two people dating when one of them supervises the other because that is almost guaranteed to be a headache for everybody no matter how many good intentions are thrown into it. Of course, this is all my personal experience and while I have been at this for 10 years, I've not been around nearly as long as most and I've always been more on the casual/chain side of things.

What bothers me a lot is the 'fresh meat' attitude towards women in kitchens, FOH or BOH. I don't give a poo poo if people are dating/loving within as long as they're professionals, but I think it's really hosed up to see a new co-worker and think that she 'gets down' while comparing her directly to meat.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Invisible Ted posted:

What bothers me a lot is the 'fresh meat' attitude towards women in kitchens, FOH or BOH. I don't give a poo poo if people are dating/loving within as long as they're professionals, but I think it's really hosed up to see a new co-worker and think that she 'gets down' while comparing her directly to meat.

That I absolutely agree with. Looking at/treating any woman as a piece of meat is scumbag behavior workplace or not.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Boulevardiers are the poo poo.

They're amazing. I'm not drinking for a few months yet, but they surpassed Negronis as my favorite for any situation except as a true apertif (ie: having a drink without food but right before food: Negroni. With any kind of food, or if food isn't coming up right after the drinking: Boulvardier.)

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Vorenus posted:

it is 100% because I don't want to deal with your childish Highschool drama every 3 loving weeks and requests to move schedules if you are/are not mad at each other in any given week. Given that my restaurant is in a bar alcohol only compounds the problem. Also I don't give a gently caress if you both want Memorial Day off I need one of you to work, if you don't like it quit. You can't always have every holiday/weekend whatever off together to go gently caress around while everyone else has to work. (This isn't in my current place but earlier work places)

You are there to serve the guests, not act out your irrational teenage bullshit in front of the customers even though you are 30 loving years old.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Vorenus posted:

That I absolutely agree with. Looking at/treating any woman as a piece of meat is scumbag behavior workplace or not.

We already know A Man and his dog works in some shithole, and can't help but tell us how talent-less everyone is. It should be no surprise they objectify people.

This industry is nothing but comedy gold.

I sent a dumb teenager server home last night, probably going to fire him, cost me over $200 in comped food. Fucker didn't write down any of his orders, take any of his tickets with him. Just waited for 6 orders to all be ready at once and tried to deliver them all at once. So naturally 2 rooms didn't get their orders, and 3 got the wrong orders. He also had his radio off because he was on his personal cellphone arguing with his dad over computer parts or something, then disappeared for an hour while cleaning off the landings.

Goddamn loving kids.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Vorenus posted:

One of my exes is a general manager who dated the executive chef of her restaurant... this exec who was technically still married, an alcoholic, and oh had a kid too. How do you think that turned out when it went south? I never take pleasure in saying I told you so, but ugggghhh I feel so bad for all those workers.

quote:

At the risk of entering the dreaded territory of diary entries, it feels really really good to hear that someone you previously trained was singing your praises to your bosses.

Eh, I'm sure I had plenty of LJ posts here if I go back to those days. On the one hand, it seems like 4 years isn't much time and all that, and what can really change in that amount of time. But four years ago, I was still in the kitchen -- not in school, not graduating, not working as a wine data monkey, not going to the back of my friend's car and taking some of his Milagro select barrel reserve and Michter's whiskey because "ugh I drink wine all day, I never have a taste for liquor by the time I get home."

Things can change pretty drastically pretty quickly.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

loving avian flu is making it hard to get eggs. Having to buy the much more expensive local stuff.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

We already know A Man and his dog works in some shithole, and can't help but tell us how talent-less everyone is. It should be no surprise they objectify people.

This industry is nothing but comedy gold.

I sent a dumb teenager server home last night, probably going to fire him, cost me over $200 in comped food. Fucker didn't write down any of his orders, take any of his tickets with him. Just waited for 6 orders to all be ready at once and tried to deliver them all at once. So naturally 2 rooms didn't get their orders, and 3 got the wrong orders. He also had his radio off because he was on his personal cellphone arguing with his dad over computer parts or something, then disappeared for an hour while cleaning off the landings.

Goddamn loving kids.

I kept a kid employed for 4 months while he repeatedly showed up late, drunk, slept on the job, whatever

I eventually fired him, but it was because he cost me like $400 in fuckups in addition to all this.

sorry, if you're doing your job but just not doing very well, that's one thing - but if I'm paying you to actively cost me money in addition to your hourly wage? jesus loving christ instant fire. get rid of the kid.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Yeah.. what felt worse for me more was not seeing the great-cook-if-he-gave-a-poo poo get canned, but the full-of-heart-and-tried-his-best-but-couldn't-hack-it cook get canned. At least for a few hours a day try and care about your job. Whatever it is.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Yes I objectively list people.... All I'm trying to do is serve them a meal...

JESUS Christ. It's really not that hard.

Also the new girl has a man and a kid.

Good.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

You have a lovely attitude though, at least in this thread.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Errant Gin Monks posted:

it is 100% because I don't want to deal with your childish Highschool drama every 3 loving weeks and requests to move schedules if you are/are not mad at each other in any given week. Given that my restaurant is in a bar alcohol only compounds the problem. Also I don't give a gently caress if you both want Memorial Day off I need one of you to work, if you don't like it quit. You can't always have every holiday/weekend whatever off together to go gently caress around while everyone else has to work. (This isn't in my current place but earlier work places)

You are there to serve the guests, not act out your irrational teenage bullshit in front of the customers even though you are 30 loving years old.

You must be hiring a lot of high schoolers if you have a problem with people in a relationship asking off/trade shifts because of a fight.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

You have a lovely attitude though, at least in this thread.

That will cease to be a problem fairly soon.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

goodness posted:

You must be hiring a lot of high schoolers if you have a problem with people in a relationship asking off/trade shifts because of a fight.

Yep lots of high schoolers over the age of 30 work as bartenders and never grew up.

Apologies to real adults who bartend this is not directed at you.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Holy loving poo poo we were busy.... Non stop since 10 AM...

The whole weekend is going to be like this. loving owns. I need the money.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

DEAR LIVEJOURNAL

Ban me or ban him idgaf.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Isn't the whole point of this website to chat?

Man you guys are pretty uptight and probably real lovely in general for an industry based on serving customers.... gently caress.

DEAR LIVEJOURNAL

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Isn't the whole point of this website to chat?

Man you guys are pretty uptight and probably real lovely in general for an industry based on serving customers.... gently caress.

DEAR LIVEJOURNAL

Just from the peanut gallery here but I'm p.sure it's you chatting rather than chatting in general that annoys people.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Well I had a long God drat day where I busted my rear end for 14 hours so I just posted. My bad!

Oh and if you aren't busy this weekend your restaurant is most likely poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011
I'm the Receiving Agent for a conference center/hotel, and 55-60% of our business is from an insurance company, so we're dead enough this coming week that I don't need to be there at all. I definitely need a break before we get crushed by Wedding Season.

• Locked thread