Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

This game rules - I burst out laughing at the final reveal.

Also the homeless woman is really obviously Rachel - she even begins talking about how she wishes she could go back to her younger self. The eye colour is a red herring - they can change with age or trauma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That ending montage set to that awesome Mogwai song was seriously amazing. Holy poo poo. The feels.

Same with the Bright Eyes song. I didn't get out of bed until the whole song had played. :)

I thought episode 2 was kind of lame so I'm glad things appear to be getting much better.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Starting to get serious Uzumaki vibes here.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
One complaint I have is that the narrative facts we know are clearly meant to make characters like David, Frank, and even Nathan to be ambiguous, but the voice acting and script are often so at odds with that it becomes hard to seriously think of them as not being villains.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

precision posted:

One complaint I have is that the narrative facts we know are clearly meant to make characters like David, Frank, and even Nathan to be ambiguous, but the voice acting and script are often so at odds with that it becomes hard to seriously think of them as not being villains.

I don't think them being hosed up people is supposed to be ambiguous, I think it's supposed to keep you guessing because it seems like everyone has a deep dark secret or is a hosed up weirdo or whatever. Like all good mysteries, it's trying to give you multiple suspects that are all equally likely.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Larry Parrish posted:

I don't think them being hosed up people is supposed to be ambiguous, I think it's supposed to keep you guessing because it seems like everyone has a deep dark secret or is a hosed up weirdo or whatever. Like all good mysteries, it's trying to give you multiple suspects that are all equally likely.

No, I meant that we've seen a lot of evidence that David and Frank at least aren't actually total villain scum, but the way they talk and act in most of the game makes them seem a lot worse. Like, for those characters, their "deep dark secret" is that they're nice guys (or were at some point). I just wish the script/acting made it easier to see them as real people, instead of cartoon villains.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

precision posted:

No, I meant that we've seen a lot of evidence that David and Frank at least aren't actually total villain scum, but the way they talk and act in most of the game makes them seem a lot worse. Like, for those characters, their "deep dark secret" is that they're nice guys (or were at some point). I just wish the script/acting made it easier to see them as real people, instead of cartoon villains.

I dunno, it feels intentionally written/directed to be like that to me. Much of the message appears to be that you shouldn't make snap judgements about people, even if they really seem like an rear end in a top hat.

Highly Unnecessary
Dec 24, 2009

Paul Zuvella posted:

sometimes a homeless person is just a homeless person, guys

I find it funny how in game her text title is just "Homeless" and not something like "Homeless woman"

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

precision posted:

I don't think we're meant to view David or Frank as "nice guys" even if they aren't the villain. David might be trying to uncover what's going on and in general working toward the greater good, but his methods are lovely and he's an abrasive rear end in a top hat and a lovely stepdad. Frank is just a straight up rear end in a top hat who just happens to have a soft spot for his dog and for Rachel. But then, EVERYONE had apparently liked Rachel, I imagine because she kept time traveling to do or say all the right things to everyone. Their voice acting seems fine to me

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Macaluso posted:

I don't think we're meant to view David or Frank as "nice guys" even if they aren't the villain. David might be trying to uncover what's going on and in general working toward the greater good, but his methods are lovely and he's an abrasive rear end in a top hat and a lovely stepdad. Frank is just a straight up rear end in a top hat who just happens to have a soft spot for his dog and for Rachel. But then, EVERYONE had apparently liked Rachel, I imagine because she kept time traveling to do or say all the right things to everyone. Their voice acting seems fine to me

Well the key thing we discovered this episode is that Rachel also had a thing for Frank, in a pretty big way, and the implication is that he was a very different person back then and Rachel's disappearance is what's made him an rear end in a top hat.

At least that's what I took away from this episode.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I'm honestly super interested in how exactly this game is going to resolve because we only have two episodes left and here is a list of all the things we still don't know.

What happened to Kate at the party
Why Nathan Prescott is such a poo poo
What happened to Rachel Amber
Why is David following around students
HOW WILL OUR DATE WITH WARREN GO???
What kind of weird thing will hit Alyssa next time
What's the deal with the tornado
Why birds are dying
Why Whales are dying in alternate future
How to fix Chloe broken Life (physically or emotionally)
Are we gay? Is Chloe gay?
What really is the deal with the vortex club
WHO WILL WIN EVERYDAY HEROS?

and finally

Why can Max control time

That's a a lot of things to answer in a game that effectively only has 3-4 hours of content left. I can't help but feel like the payoff for a lot of these either are not going to happen or the payoff will be disappointing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If one of the endings isn't "and then Chloe and Max were lesbians" I will be fantastically disappointed. Warren is OK but that nerd girl is a better match for him anyway.

Also, there better be some hilarious payoff if you save Alyssa in every episode.

edit: Also, you forgot in your list of mysteries "what's the deal with the Red Folder Guy at the end of episode 1, and is it Mr. Jefferson?"

e2: Oh and what was the significance of the list of missing people? I got Winston Smith and the 2001 guy, but who was the girl listed as disappearing in 1997 a reference to?

precision fucked around with this message at 14:15 on May 20, 2015

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

Paul Zuvella posted:

I'm honestly super interested in how exactly this game is going to resolve because we only have two episodes left and here is a list of all the things we still don't know.

I feel like a big thing in this game is that, at the bottom of whatever the gently caress is happening, everything and everyone is connected. So a lot of the resolution to these things is going to come all at once in a couple big revelations spread out through the rest of the episodes.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

precision posted:

edit: Also, you forgot in your list of mysteries "what's the deal with the Red Folder Guy at the end of episode 1, and is it Mr. Jefferson?"

I thought that was very clearly shown to be David Madsen's files on everyone

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Paul Zuvella posted:

I thought that was very clearly shown to be David Madsen's files on everyone

Nope! David's folders are green.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

LibbyM posted:

I am actually annoyed that the milk and eggs were not in the fridge btw. What the hell.

The bacon was in the fridge, but who the hell just leaves the eggs at the door? REALLY! :argh:

I wandered all over that house thinking "If the eggs aren't in the goddamn fridge, where the gently caress would someone keep them?".

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Hahaha yeah that annoyed me too. The milk I was like "okay fine" because I can see that being left out for not too long. But who gets home with groceries and doesn't put their refrigerated stuff in the fridge right away? The bag was just left at the door!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I for cereal thought I'd have to get eggs from a bird's nest or something hella stupid

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Macaluso posted:

Hahaha yeah that annoyed me too. The milk I was like "okay fine" because I can see that being left out for not too long. But who gets home with groceries and doesn't put their refrigerated stuff in the fridge right away? The bag was just left at the door!

Who the hell refrigerates eggs? Eggs are best kept at room temperature, no wonder Joyce's pancakes are so good.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Americans refrigerate eggs. Apparently most other countries don't. Dontnod is French so I guess that's why they're sitting out.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
It's because they use special cleaners on eggs in America that weaken the shell.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Rosalind posted:

Americans refrigerate eggs. Apparently most other countries don't. Dontnod is French so I guess that's why they're sitting out.

I see...

http://www.latimes.com/food/dailydish/la-dd-heres-why-we-need-to-refrigerate-eggs-20140714-story.html

huh. You guys are weird with your freezing poison eggs.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Mr. Flunchy posted:

This game rules - I burst out laughing at the final reveal.

Also the homeless woman is really obviously Rachel - she even begins talking about how she wishes she could go back to her younger self. The eye colour is a red herring - they can change with age or trauma.

I can almost guarantee she's just a homeless woman for the reason that you can completely skip talking to her, it'd be bad storytelling to have her be someone that important when there's a chance that the player has never met her at all

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Ekusukariba posted:

I can almost guarantee she's just a homeless woman for the reason that you can completely skip talking to her, it'd be bad storytelling to have her be someone that important when there's a chance that the player has never met her at all

This is a really good point. All the impact of the reveal would be gone if the player never talked to her and was just like "huh? Am I supposed to know who that is?"

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Ekusukariba posted:

Why would such a minor character have such an extensive dialogue tree? Also she drops really, really obvious hints. I think she even says "I wish I were your age again".

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
One detail I noticed during the school break in:
When David starts searching the pool area, he yells out "Search the perimeter!" to no one. Guy never could escape from the war.

As for the red binders:

In the room outside the principal's office, there a cabinet with two shelves of similarly shaped blue binders, and an empty shelf in between them. Whoever took the binders had access to the office.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 20, 2015

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ekusukariba posted:

I didn't even see her in episode 3 at all.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

LibbyM posted:

Yah, there's no way max doesn't rewind from that ending. The complete lack of awareness it would take for developers to have an ending that is "look it's a new timeline, none of your choices mattered!", and then immediately show you player stats on all the choices people made would be astounding. I have more faith in the LiS team here.

this seems so obvious I can't believe people are bothering to discuss it but it was a nice twist

The only real lack of choice that has disappointed me so far is that Chloe gets to wake and bake and there's a joint sitting out in her room all the time and you don't even get to try to smoke it.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

The swim team is obviously behind everything, if you compulsively click everything clickable they get almost as much focus as the vortex club.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Otters love beavers

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The Otters killed all the whales. :tinfoil:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

bagrada posted:

The swim team is obviously behind everything, if you compulsively click everything clickable they get almost as much focus as the vortex club.

I found it bizarre that you can find that one Vortex guy's phone and there's no options to look through it aside from one text exchange you already probably knew about from episode 1.

Also a nice touch was that if you go through the bathroom door, then rewind and open it, Chloe is like "yeah yeah you showed me that trick already". And there's another one where she goes "I know you just rewound and took the other option, don't lie".

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Warren is seriously starting to annoy me. Who would want to go to a planet of the apes marathon? That sounds terrible, these movies aren't even good. "I know you told me you don't want to go. But just in case, I bought an extra ticket. It would really mean a lot to me if you would use that."
It's incredibly clear that Max is not attracted to him and it is even clearer that Brooke basically stalks him.
And once he ends up in a universe where he doesn't constantly chase after Max, he ends up together with some totally unrelated girl.
I know why they don't do it, but I want the option to clearly tell him, that this wont happen.

Also A few dead whales seems kind of like a step down from a freaking solar eclipse. I don't understand this in the larger context. The newscast talked about that like the eclipse was a regional thing. How would that work? The moon is big.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Air is lava! posted:

Warren is seriously starting to annoy me. Who would want to go to a planet of the apes marathon? That sounds terrible, these movies aren't even good.

Woah, hey, it's okay as long as you leave after the first two.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
When it's at a drive-in a marathon of any movies would be fun because the point is to get hella baked and jam out with your homies wicked style

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I provided the answers to all the below questions WARNING SPOILERS ARE FOR FUTURE EPISODES NOT THE NEW ONE

Paul Zuvella posted:

What happened to Kate at the party - nathan drugged her with something
Why Nathan Prescott is such a poo poo - bad brain syndrome
What happened to Rachel Amber - nathan killed her in the dark room and the photography guy covered it up
Why is David following around students - never trust an adult with a goatee
HOW WILL OUR DATE WITH WARREN GO??? - we're not going!!!!!!
What kind of weird thing will hit Alyssa next time - the bird you saved in Chloe's house
What's the deal with the tornado - airline food
Why birds are dying - the core of the earth has stopped rotating
Why Whales are dying in alternate future - dave barrynomics
How to fix Chloe broken Life (physically or emotionally) - with our lesbian love
Are we gay? Is Chloe gay? - see above
What really is the deal with the vortex club - it's the prescott version of skull and bones
WHO WILL WIN EVERYDAY HEROS? - victoria, posthumously

and finally

Why can Max control time - brain tumor

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Now I have a few questions about other ways things could have gone:

What happens if you go through the boys' locker room?

Are there multiple ways to get the keys, or is it always finding out about the dogs, asking Frank to see the dog, and then grabbing the keys and rewinding?

What's it like if Kate is dead? It feels like the tone of the game would be really different.

Ditto for if you blamed somebody other than Nathan in the last episode. Is that scene with Mr. Jefferson and Victoria different if you blame him? Is Nathan less enraged in the diner if you don't blame him?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Rincewind posted:

You can actually go through both. Once you've gone through one, you can enter the other from the exit into the pool area, and see all the flavor stuff.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Rincewind posted:

What's it like if Kate is dead? It feels like the tone of the game would be really different.

Ditto for if you blamed somebody other than Nathan in the last episode. Is that scene with Mr. Jefferson and Victoria different if you blame him? Is Nathan less enraged in the diner if you don't blame him?

Everybody in the dorm is very bummed about Kate being dead. Max gets mad at Chloe for not being more sensitive to Kate being dead. Max gets emails and texts from her parents making sure she's OK and also Kate's parents thanking her for trying to help. there's a lot of Max being motivated by Kate being dead kinda.

I blamed Madsen and Nathan was basically like 'at least you knew enough to keep your fuckin mouth shut' in the diner. he was still enraged just for having been talked to I guess. Blaming Madsen resulted in him getting fired and then basically everyone rips into him at breakfast. I felt bad for half a second because I had realized that even though he is creepy he also seems to suspect something worse is going on and is trying to get to the bottom of it but then I remembered how little Joyce fuckin cared about him hitting Chloe so then I was satisfied verbally demolishing him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Rincewind posted:

Are there multiple ways to get the keys, or is it always finding out about the dogs, asking Frank to see the dog, and then grabbing the keys and rewinding?

Can't answer your other two questions, but

Nothing really changes if you go through the boys' locker room, you just get to go through some of their lockers and all that, same as if you went through the girls'. (I rewinded so I could check out both.)

The way I got the keys was finding out that Rachel posed for Frank to take pictures of her, and then getting Frank to show me the picture of her he keeps in his wallet, after which he sets his keys on the table.

• Locked thread