Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-XVO4mo3u8

hi me and ethanol did nurburgring today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I've been playing the witcher, sorry friends.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

How are you guys posting replays?

Also, suggestions for new wheels for around $100 (no, I'm not spending $200 on a G27)? My MS wheel is okay, but I get no FFB or anything and the pedal plate sucks.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
shadowplay on a saved replay

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times

Nostratic posted:

How are you guys posting replays?

Also, suggestions for new wheels for around $100 (no, I'm not spending $200 on a G27)? My MS wheel is okay, but I get no FFB or anything and the pedal plate sucks.

I'm doing okay with a fairly old Logitech DFGT, but you'll still be lucky to get one for under $100. The pedals are sprung, but that's all. Might be worth trying to find a 2nd hand G25/27.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

OhsH posted:

i hosed up a great lap on that late turn and now it is immortalized on youtube, my dream is come true

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

OhsH posted:

shadowplay on a saved replay

This

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

hopterque posted:

I've been playing the witcher, sorry friends.

Same boat.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Since I've been really enjoying Formula Rookie I went and looked at the championship length for the totally-not-Formula-1 championship and holy poo poo that's some step up in race length.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

njsykora posted:

Since I've been really enjoying Formula Rookie I went and looked at the championship length for the totally-not-Formula-1 championship and holy poo poo that's some step up in race length.

I just started Formula Rookie myself and having a blast. Especially after those damned superkarts.

Are the other formulas just as fun as rookie? If not I'll probably just stay in this for another season or so.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Smelly posted:

I just started Formula Rookie myself and having a blast. Especially after those damned superkarts.

Are the other formulas just as fun as rookie? If not I'll probably just stay in this for another season or so.

I went out on Brands Hatch in a Formula C car to try it out and spend nearly half an hour just driving around because it was so much fun, it's basically a faster more agile FR car that'll punish you much harder if you try and push it too hard with cold tyres. But the Formula A championship is 19 rounds, and at 70% length races are 40-60 laps so it's gonna be some time investment. It's weird when I remember playing Formula 1 '97 as a kid and being baffled by the idea of someone doing a 70 lap race and now I'm salivating at the idea of doing 60 laps of Laguna Seca.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 03:45 on May 20, 2015

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Formula Gulf cars are really fun if you haven't tried those yet.

SmokeyXIII
Apr 19, 2008
Not Stephen Harper in Disguise.

That is simply not true.
Xbox one version makes me want to pull out my hair!!

I can't stay on the track at all.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

ethanol posted:

i hosed up a great lap on that late turn and now it is immortalized on youtube, my dream is come true

Its my im the rear end in a top hat.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

OhsH posted:

LMP1 is a really fun car on that track.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Bought this game a few days ago (PS4) and have some basic questions:

1. Is there a way to save your custom HUD permanently? It only stays on for the current race. You'd think it would save afterwards since it asks you if you want to save it...
2. Is there an AI setting where they aren't complete maniacs who will drive into you at every opportunity?

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
So I got into the invitational that puts you in the BMW M1 Procar and, :wow:, I am in love. Even aside from the pop-up lights (which I didn't get to use with purpose :(), it looks cool and just feels so good going around the track in that it's enough of a race car to really run fast and hard laps, but not such a feat of engineering that any error can be disastrous (aka: it's pretty forgiving).

Cacator posted:

1. Is there a way to save your custom HUD permanently? It only stays on for the current race. You'd think it would save afterwards since it asks you if you want to save it...
2. Is there an AI setting where they aren't complete maniacs who will drive into you at every opportunity?
Nope. I assume it's a bug because there's no way the devs would be that foolish, right?

I feel like AI are very hit or miss, literally. They seem like they try to avoid you generally, but if you move up next to them too quickly they usually don't take notice and will run right into you (not unlike a human driver in some instances... I really wish the spotter/crew chief actually called other cars doing runs on you). It seems like a coin toss whether AI hitting you is worse at higher or lower AI levels: at high levels you are traveling at more equal speeds so you will find yourself closer to parity with them and your passing moves will be slow enough that they should take note and not collide (unless you chose a poor place to pass and they don't really have a choice), but it also takes longer which increases the chance of a collision because of a turn coming; at low levels you can blow past AI much easier, but if you cut into their intended line they will ram you before they even recognize you're there.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I keep seeing people talk about having "controller stuck turning one way when I've got full lock on the other" and are you guys sure this isn't just because you've already lost control and the weight transfer has made the slide unrecoverable? I've certainly had that happen a few times, never had the stuck controls thing though.

Poison Jam
Mar 29, 2009

Shh...
We're being watched.

Vando posted:

I keep seeing people talk about having "controller stuck turning one way when I've got full lock on the other" and are you guys sure this isn't just because you've already lost control and the weight transfer has made the slide unrecoverable? I've certainly had that happen a few times, never had the stuck controls thing though.

I only get that at the end of an almighty tankslapper and at that point I'm hoping I don't hit anything too hard. Then again I could just be lucky.

I have these settings on PS4 for a controller:

Steering Deadzone - 10
Steering Sensitivity - 10
Throttle Deadzone - 10
Throttle Sensitivity - 40
Brake Deadzone - 10
Brake Sensitivity - 30
Clutch Deadzone - 10
Clutch Sensitivity - 45
Speed Sensitivity - 65
Controller Filtering Sensitivity - 35
Force Feedback - 100
Controller Input Mode - 2
Advanced - On
Soft Steering Dampening - On
Visual Wheel Filtering - Off
Opposite Lock Help - Off

Before I tried messing with settings I wasn't having any fun with the game but these settings let me drive around a track without flying off and the games great :)

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Goetta posted:

Formula Gulf cars are really fun if you haven't tried those yet.

Can confirm, they've got all the chuckability of the Rookie cars with more downforce, I love this kind if class of car, it's just too much fun.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

peter gabriel posted:

Can confirm, they've got all the chuckability of the Rookie cars with more downforce, I love this kind if class of car, it's just too much fun.

I was trying them last night. Its mental that on most corners on willow springs you run out of power before you run out of grip. Need to mess with aerodynamics tonight to try and get a bit more speed out of them.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl-PZtMDfws

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I've had this happen on various cars and tracks

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
So I started my career at karts, I'm some sort of superstar, life is good, etc. Got an invitation to an event, and I got to it in the calendar. It has me in some non-kart, and I am all excited... except I can't make any turns in this car. Like, what I would consider gental-ish bends, with my racing line all green, I turn the wheel all the way and the car can't make it. Do I just need to slow the hell down? My wheel is calibrated (I'm on ps4) and karts "feel" right, but this new car does not seem to turn much. Any settings suggestions, or is it my driving that needs a big adjustment?

Lumpy fucked around with this message at 13:57 on May 20, 2015

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Lumpy posted:

So I started my career at karts, I'm some sort of superstar, life is good, etc. Got an invitation to an event, and I got to it in the calendar. It has me in some non-kart, and I am all excited... except I can't make any turns in this car. Like, what I would consider gental-ish bends, with my racing line all green, I turn the wheel all the way and the car can't make it. Do I just need to slow the hell down? My wheel is calibrated (I'm on ps4) and karts "feel" right, but this new car does not seem to turn much. Any settings suggestions, or is it my driving that needs a big adjustment?

Did you jump straight into a race or start in practice? The bigger cars tend to have more momentum and are harder to turn, but a few minutes in practice you'll eventually get the feel for them.

Just keep in mind that practice has you start with cold tires which I feel have a bigger impact on the cars than the carts.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Lumpy posted:

So I started my career at karts, I'm some sort of superstar, life is good, etc. Got an invitation to an event, and I got to it in the calendar. It has me in some non-kart, and I am all excited... except I can't make any turns in this car. Like, what I would consider gental-ish bends, with my racing line all green, I turn the wheel all the way and the car can't make it. Do I just need to slow the hell down? My wheel is calibrated (I'm on ps4) and karts "feel" right, but this new car does not seem to turn much. Any settings suggestions, or is it my drturn find that needs a big adjustment?

if i remember, the first invitational I got in was some sort of Ford Focus or something that understeered SO loving bad that it was really, really tricky to get around the track. Had to use the brakes liberally to kick the rear end end out to even get it to try and turn.

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008

Lumpy posted:

Manually change your tires to track tires. The tires the game puts on those cars you get in the first invitationals have no grip whatsoever.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Smelly posted:

Did you jump straight into a race or start in practice? The bigger cars tend to have more momentum and are harder to turn, but a few minutes in practice you'll eventually get the feel for them.

Just keep in mind that practice has you start with cold tires which I feel have a bigger impact on the cars than the carts.

Never skip practice. You need to spend some time getting laps done before moving to qualifying if you're ever going to get the higher positions in time. In Formula Rookie the car feels really stiff on the first lap or so of practice but when the brakes and tires warm up everything seems to loosen up.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Bigsteve posted:

I was trying them last night. Its mental that on most corners on willow springs you run out of power before you run out of grip. Need to mess with aerodynamics tonight to try and get a bit more speed out of them.

Sometimes though I love that kind of driving, it's like when you get all the power ups in R Type and you're just blasting through poo poo, having fun and not having to sweat the small stuff so much.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
When does Project Cars get a soccer mode?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ziploc posted:

When does Project Cars get a soccer mode?

We need this so the Forza 4 crew can come back and I can kick the ball into my own teams net again. Plus 30+ player soccer. :getin:

Kaddion
Jan 12, 2008

My gosh, you're right Sam! THE GORILLA SHOULD BE DRIVING!

I said come in! posted:

We need this so the Forza 4 crew can come back and I can kick the ball into my own teams net again. Plus 30+ player soccer. :getin:

Really we just need more people in the PC lobby.

I, for one, would like to see the catastrophe of a 30 goon race.

In 300 SELs.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
If anyone is apprehensive about playing online I finish around last almost every race and still have fun and no one will yell at you

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Kaddion posted:

Really we just need more people in the PC lobby.

I, for one, would like to see the catastrophe of a 30 goon race.

In 300 SELs.

That would be magnificent.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
How about folks get in the group chat and/or mumble and we'll do races in 1 hour (9:30pm CDT, or 02:30 GMT for everyone else in the world)? I've never hosted, but it can't be that hard.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'll be playing on PC once I get my wheel set up this weekend.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
Lobby is up. :getin:

First race is Formula Gulf 1000 at Watkins Glen.

Edit: Not to late to join. We should have at least 5 racers here shortly. Stop playing lovely CRPGs.

Essobie fucked around with this message at 03:49 on May 21, 2015

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I'd love to get goons together to race but I only ever see maybe 1 person in ps4 playing.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Got my replacement parts to get my pedals back online. drat is this game ever awesome with a properly set up wheel. I couldn't get through a California Highway run at any kind of speed on gamepad without wrecking, but I just had a hell of a lot of fun running it in the M235i and only bounced off a wall once when I tried to drift the offramp.

Taking a cart through Eau Rouge at full speed was also really amazing. I can't wait to have some actual time to put in to it this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Yeah, so I must have hit Enter while in VR at some point, cause brake assist was bound to it and it was mysteriously turned on. Would have been nice to know that I had that bound or if I could change options during a race.

• Locked thread