Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

rossmum posted:

Imagine if you had that same punch on an actually good ship!

Slightly out of date:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
Nagato is pretty loving nice.

Post-patch Yamato summed up:

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Finished the New York today. I thought it was pretty good, good fire power but a bit clumsy. I am just going by my gut feeling though so feel free to whip out your spreadsheets letting me know I'm full of poo poo. New Mexico seems also pretty good, Rossmum has informed me that the Colorado is A Bad Bote though.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
I don't really get the Colorado hate because it's really just a New Mexico with bigger guns. I mean the biggest issue I have with it so far is that the lowered amount of barrels means you're more susceptible to your shots just deciding to shotgun and bracket targets.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
I dunno, maybe it's just me. It feels worse than the other BBs I've played. I'm doing better in it now but I'd still rather be in the NM, Warspite, or any given IJN BB tiers 5 through 10.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

That's a pretty legit concern though. I really like being able to put a bunch of shells in the air over the chance that I might do more damage if they hit.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Axetrain posted:

That's a pretty legit concern though. I really like being able to put a bunch of shells in the air over the chance that I might do more damage if they hit.
Yeah I mean that part sucks* but I don't really know if I'm willing to call it a straight up bad boat because of it though. The 16s do noticeably more damage per shot so even though I tend to get less hits overall, I'm noticing that at minimum I'm doing the same amount of damage. Also earlier today I rolled up on a Nagato at 7km, unloaded my broadside into him, did ~34k damage, then swung my ship 90 degrees and proceeded to blast a Fuso for ~21k. :getin:

Don't get me wrong, the New Mexico is really, really good, but I just love these guns. I can't wait till I get to the North Carolina and have these guns and be faster it's gonna own.

*Nothing quite like firing one turret at a ship you've crossed the T on, only to watch one shell go far left and one shell go far right and just bracket the fucker

rossmum posted:

I dunno, maybe it's just me. It feels worse than the other BBs I've played. I'm doing better in it now but I'd still rather be in the NM, Warspite, or any given IJN BB tiers 5 through 10.
It probably doesn't help that the tier up means fighting bigger ships on average, and you're still just as slow as ever. Not to mention the New Mexico being so drat good and the only change going to the Colorado being the guns which you might not even be able to do much with at first because you have to learn to aim the new velocity, so it feels a lot worse. I've never played a Nagato before so I can't compare the Colorado to it.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Insert name here posted:

Yeah I mean that part sucks* but I don't really know if I'm willing to call it a straight up bad boat because of it though. The 16s do noticeably more damage per shot so even though I tend to get less hits overall, I'm noticing that at minimum I'm doing the same amount of damage. Also earlier today I rolled up on a Nagato at 7km, unloaded my broadside into him, did ~34k damage, then swung my ship 90 degrees and proceeded to blast a Fuso for ~21k. :getin:

Don't get me wrong, the New Mexico is really, really good, but I just love these guns. I can't wait till I get to the North Carolina and have these guns and be faster it's gonna own.

*Nothing quite like firing one turret at a ship you've crossed the T on, only to watch one shell go far left and one shell go far right and just bracket the fucker

It probably doesn't help that the tier up means fighting bigger ships on average, and you're still just as slow as ever. Not to mention the New Mexico being so drat good and the only change going to the Colorado being the guns which you might not even be able to do much with at first because you have to learn to aim the new velocity, so it feels a lot worse. I've never played a Nagato before so I can't compare the Colorado to it.

Nagato: Her shells are heavy, slow, and somewhat inaccurate, she's no sniper. But when she hits, god drat does she knock it out of the park.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I really liked the New York, I think I'm gonna keep it around. At least so I have an excuse to spam the all chat with Frank Sinatra lyrics, if for no other reason.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I have just had 2 great wins just now in a cleveland and the most intense draw I've ever had. poo poo loving owns.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

Did they buff HE? I'm spending a lot of time on fire again.

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

Krataar posted:

Did they buff HE? I'm spending a lot of time on fire again.

Yeah since the last patch it's a lot more viable.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
What is the deal with dive bombers? The whole point of them is to improve accuracy by diving onto the target, but in this crazy game the pilots of the diving airplanes have to lead the ships moving a tenth the speed because they can't adjust mid-dive. Do you really need to try and either do zero damage or score one hit with the auto target or try and predict the tiny, alt targeting reticle over where the ship will be in 10 seconds? Is there some poorly documented feature I don't know?

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Flame on the trail headed for the powder keg
Fully upgraded the Kongo. Should I be slinging AP out of this thing? I'm really bad at long range fighting so far.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Sometimes people just do not want to win. Team was ahead by like 300 points and controlled two points. A full health Cleveland and half health Baltimore were alive. All they had to do is stay alive long enough for the last 100ish points to tick down since there was no way the other team could capture A and B in time.

Instead, they head out into the open in the west to shoot at the afk/disconnected Amagi and quickly die to the Iowa and Baltimore.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Mahasamatman posted:

Fully upgraded the Kongo. Should I be slinging AP out of this thing? I'm really bad at long range fighting so far.

Against most things, you should sling AP with a battleship. DDs might warrant HE, but you normally don't have the time to switch for that. Other than that, get in closer and aim for the waterline, preferrably at the flat broadside of the target and under the funnels. Shooting at things over 15km away is litte more than harassment in most cases; you wan to get into about 12-14km against other BBs and closer against cruisers - if it's a tier 6 or higher US cruisers, you wnat to get right up into his grill and chew him up, IJN cruisers and the Omaha and Phoenix require a semblance of wariness because they have torpedos. Kongo in particular is one hell of a cruiser-killer thanks to her speed.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
The game has been tremendously unfun for me these last few matches. How are people doing damage in battleships? I've gotten basically no citadel hits lately, and I'm not sure what ranges are good for penetrating American battleship armour.

The new shell mechanics hit cruisers pretty disproportionately. They are the only ships big enough and poorly armoured enough that AP is still worth shooting, which results in damage output like last patch's.But they're pretty vulnerable to HE hits on the superstructure, and they can't recover fire damage by repairing. One fire doesn't do that much damage, but as soon as enough ships are shooting at you, everything is hosed.

And fire is still lovely for battleships too.

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 21, 2015

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

The game has been tremendously unfun for me these last few matches. How are people doing damage in battleships? I've gotten basically no citadel hits lately, and I'm not sure what ranges are good for penetrating American battleship armour.

The new shell mechanics hit cruisers pretty disproportionately. They are the only ships big enough and poorly armoured enough that AP is still worth shooting, which results in damage output like last patch's.But they're pretty vulnerable to HE hits on the superstructure, and they can't recover fire damage by repairing. One fire doesn't do that much damage, but as soon as enough ships are shooting at you, everything is hosed.

And fire is still lovely for battleships too.

Idk, I think the Cleveland is in a great place right now, her turrets don't spontaneously detonate anymore, and you can loving pump out DPS against almost anything. Get the rudder speed upgrade and watch as you outturn other cruisers and even can turn with destroyers.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Okay, so I only recently unlocked upgrades for ships (I haven't been playing much) and I'm solo-pubbing my way up the US BB line, because, believe it or not, during Closed Alpha I never touched Battleships, and I figure I should 'get good' with them.

But the main question is whether or not I did the right thing in upgrading my Grem. I went with Torp Upgrades I and II for the first two slots, and Steering Gears for the engine upgrade, since a rudder/steering hit on a DD is pretty grim. For Captain perks, I've currently got Secondary Armament I and II (just to get the torp reload skill), and just picked up Situational Awareness. Next I know should be the Additional Smoke skill, but what should I aim for after that? Pyromania?

Same goes for the New York I just picked up - went with Main Battery Mod I, AA Guns Mod II, and Propulsion Mod I, with Secondary Armament I, Ship Survivability I, and Aiming Expertise for the Captain. I'm about to have three SP available, and I'm wondering if I should pick up Sit. Awareness, Defensive Fire (noticed this was Cruiser-only), or Repair Work (unless that needs High Alert trained first). Situational Awareness on BBs seems a bit redundant, but I'll take any advice.

Also - they sure know a good racket - 500g to train a captain to be able to use his skills immediately on a new hull. And this is going to be a dumb question, but what's the gold cost of the Murmansk again - I bought it with my preorder package gold, but can't remember how much I had left over. I want to know how much extra I'd have to buy to nab an Atlanta along with the Murmansk when the OBT goes live (but I'd almost guarantee they'll do an initial premium ship discount about a month after launch, too).

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 11:46 on May 21, 2015

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

But the main question is whether or not I did the right thing in upgrading my Grem. I went with Torp Upgrades I and II for the first two slots, and Steering Gears for the engine upgrade, since a rudder/steering hit on a DD is pretty grim. For Captain perks, I've currently got Secondary Armament I and II (just to get the torp reload skill), and just picked up Situational Awareness. Next I know should be the Additional Smoke skill, but what should I aim for after that? Pyromania?

For the Grem I'd suggest Main Battery I in the first slot so you're less likely to get your turrets knocked out. The torpedoes are certainly better than US ones at that tier, but in the Grem you should be using those 130mm guns as often as possible. For Captain perks, I recommend the repair skill first (to fix your steering faster when it gets knocked out immediately after you blow your repair) and then whatever that skill is called that makes your turrets turn faster (Grem turrets are sloooooooow). You're good on tier III, and yeah I'd get Pyromania so you can set cruisers and battleships on fire more often.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Same goes for the New York I just picked up - went with Main Battery Mod I, AA Guns Mod II, and Propulsion Mod I, with Secondary Armament I, Ship Survivability I, and Aiming Expertise for the Captain. I'm about to have three SP available, and I'm wondering if I should pick up Sit. Awareness, Defensive Fire (noticed this was Cruiser-only), or Repair Work (unless that needs High Alert trained first). Situational Awareness on BBs seems a bit redundant, but I'll take any advice.

Situational Awareness is wasted on a battleship. With your massive detectability range, just assume they've spotted you at all times unless you're behind an island. Get Repair Work, because you don't have to go down a line of Captain perks. You just need one at the current tier to unlock the next tier.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

The grem's guns are really its primary weapon and are a lot more fragile than its torps. Making them tougher is the right call.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Having the turret rotation mod and Aiming Expertise also helps giving the Grem turret turn rate that actually allows you to shoot things without having to drive in a straight line constantly.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

There's nothing quite like ramming a 90% health battleship with your 10% health cruiser and taking him down with you. :allears:

edit: oh thank god, today's mini patch removed the "ANTI-AIRCRAFT GUNS AND SECONDARY ARMAMENT DISABLED" voice.

Godlessdonut fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 21, 2015

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

I think I'm done until they add more ships or go into Open Beta. I'm not interested in battleships or carriers, and it is not worth burning out to research tier IX or X cruisers or destroyers that will be wiped. I like a lot of the ideas in the 3.1 patch, but the AP/HE change and usefulness of signal flags need tweaking.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

grrarg posted:

I think I'm done until they add more ships or go into Open Beta. I'm not interested in battleships or carriers, and it is not worth burning out to research tier IX or X cruisers or destroyers that will be wiped. I like a lot of the ideas in the 3.1 patch, but the AP/HE change and usefulness of signal flags need tweaking.

I think I'm taking a break as well. I'm getting more upset with this game than I ever did with WoT, and that bothers me because everything's getting wiped, so losing at the moment doesn't *matter*. But I think what's most maddening about this game is that unlike WoT, it takes far longer to hit that point where you realize, despite your best efforts, the match is 100% unwinnable, and you feel like you've wasted more time than you would have in WoT on a lovely/badly-stacked match and all you are is an xp/credit/medal pinata for the other team. In WoWp, the matches ended too soon because some rear end in a top hat rammed into you because ~YOUUUU~ didn't break first and give him a shot at getting on your tail, or he'd maneuver into you as you tried to dodge him with a knife-edge pass.

I've wished *so* much malignant cancer on people and their loved ones in the past few days, because it's the worst thing I can think of that doesn't trip the profanity sensor.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

That is a big reason I'm stopping for now too. The matchmaker and idiotic teams have been really bad this week. Last night I had a domination game on North where the matchmaker gave the other team two more ships then a division of two destroyers on our team disconnected or went afk. There was no way we could win. Domination matches should never have uneven teams. The matchmaker should change the gametype to standard or encounter if it cannot give teams even numbers.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I'm just hoping that the number of people playing warships now isn't a hint at the similarly low pop of the wot server pop. It is hard to make any judgement calls about the MM when it isn't in obt. I'm worried also that unlike WoT where there is still a circulation of new players in the lower tiers to keep them alive, wows might struggle keeping low tiers alive as the people interested in it probably also play tanks and will be there on day 1 anyway.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I'm only playing once every couple days, and mostly just enough to get doubles on 4 ships or so. The exception has been a couple of long sessions on a weekend. I think that's why I'm not feeling what you guys are - I don't think I'll ever get a T9 in beta, so I'm not even trying, just log in to shoot some ships, then log out and do something else.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
I think I've become the Torpedo Whisperer, even when driving an Omaha. Or maybe I know what I'm doing.... or maybe pubbies are extra stupid right now :shrug:

Dumped 2 wide angle torpedo spreads at a Cleveland who was in a smoke cloud while dodging his shots, 2 hits.

"A" cap on Faultline, snuck up on a New Mexico all they way from mid map through one of the E/W channels, got behind him and dumped both sides into him.

Full torpedo spread into a S. Carolina at less than 3km :suspense:, barely made it out alive & almost blew away Sextro, who was 50 yds. off my port side.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
How do you use tier 3 to 4 battleships? Should I be using AP ? Fighting other battleships? Fighting cruisers?

Maybe the South Carolina is just a bad ship, or I just don't get the playstyle, but I'm having way more problems than I did as a tier III destroyer or cruiser captain.

Ghetto Prince fucked around with this message at 05:37 on May 22, 2015

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Ghetto Prince posted:

the South Carolina is just a bad ship

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
No one has said it but I just noticed it. The US got their 5x first win thing finally.

Edit:

This ship really is the epitome of relaxation. Just so much fire downrange you can't ignore it.

Edit2: and I just realized the shokaku's dive bombers can out run the lexington's fighters. :laffo:

JuffoWup fucked around with this message at 07:17 on May 22, 2015

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Velius posted:

What is the deal with dive bombers? The whole point of them is to improve accuracy by diving onto the target, but in this crazy game the pilots of the diving airplanes have to lead the ships moving a tenth the speed because they can't adjust mid-dive. Do you really need to try and either do zero damage or score one hit with the auto target or try and predict the tiny, alt targeting reticle over where the ship will be in 10 seconds? Is there some poorly documented feature I don't know?
Unless it's been changed in the last patch(es), dive bombers are just for auto target, hope you hit and set fire to the ship and that the tubpub will blow the repair ability so he can't do anything against the flooding when your torp bombers sweep in shortly afterwards. Their damage is just way too low to bother with manual aim in my opinion. Imagine them like a single low tier cruiser cannon with absurdly long range and a 3 minute reload.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
My favourite part of dive bombers is when your manual aim circle is nothing but ship yet your bombers miss anyway

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

JuffoWup posted:

I'm just hoping that the number of people playing warships now isn't a hint at the similarly low pop of the wot server pop. It is hard to make any judgement calls about the MM when it isn't in obt. I'm worried also that unlike WoT where there is still a circulation of new players in the lower tiers to keep them alive, wows might struggle keeping low tiers alive as the people interested in it probably also play tanks and will be there on day 1 anyway.

Maybe they learned from their lovely decision in tanks and wont split the NA server into East and West... hahaha sorry we're talking about WG here.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Ghetto Prince posted:

the South Carolina is just a bad ship...

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Tahirovic posted:

Maybe they learned from their lovely decision in tanks and wont split the NA server into East and West... hahaha sorry we're talking about WG here.

:psyduck: Wait what? Did they really do that to give people a tiny improvement in their ping in exchange for slashing the server population?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Yep. WG has a wonderful decision making process that involves vodka, a packet of Old El Paso taco seasoning and some white shoe polish.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

El Disco posted:

:psyduck: Wait what? Did they really do that to give people a tiny improvement in their ping in exchange for slashing the server population?

It wasn't ping, it was packet loss. Telia was making GBS threads the bed badly with their routing, so instead of finding a non poo poo host they split NA in half and basically ruined the community, killing any growth they were undergoing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

It wasn't ping, it was packet loss. Telia was making GBS threads the bed badly with their routing, so instead of finding a non poo poo host they split NA in half and basically ruined the community, killing any growth they were undergoing

The best part is that west is also telia so it improved nothing.