Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

mindphlux posted:

quick sanity check : has anyone ever had dry aged beef that they actually think is noticeably better tasting than AverageBeef?

I've eaten dry aged steaks maybe a dozen of times, and prepared them myself maybe half of those times, and I'm almost completely convinced I can't taste any difference over normal beef, aside from maybe a slight tenderness advantage that could just as easily be chalked up to overcooking or whatever by a few degrees. I've sous vide both dry aged and regular steaks too though, so dunno, still didn't notice a huge difference.

I got some beautiful 60 day dry aged tenderloin for like $29/lb from a well respected local butcher/charcuterie guy, and cooked it absolutely perfectly, which is why I'm asking. it was delicious, but just not any better than I feel like a well cooked steak ever is. :/

You're loving insane, a good hanged ribeye from a non-factory farmed bovine is of the top experiences in this world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
alright y'all are living in oppositeville I think. I know and appreciate the funky musky aged stank of good dry aged beef, but it doesn't carry through post-cook. and I've ribeyed, ny stripped, tenderloined, even skirt steaked, but...

dunno, I'm sure I'll buy another dry aged steak, but just ain't been feeling that poo poo. minds playin tricks on me.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Casu Marzu posted:

Your tastebuds are broken, mindphlux. There's definitely a funk to a long dry age over the normal vaccubagged stuff that's served.

Edit: Your problem is getting tenderloin. I find the fattier cuts benefit from dry aging more than the super lean ones.

bavettesl's aged ribeye in chicago with bone marrow is the greatest steak i have ever eaten, holy loving poo poo. plus the prices are reasonable and their entire menu including cocktails is loving amazing. it was one of the best meals of my life and everyone should have the pleasure of eating there

their royale martine or whatever its called with the st germain and lemon zest was mindblowing

and their desserts holy gently caress

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

mindphlux posted:

alright y'all are living in oppositeville I think. I know and appreciate the funky musky aged stank of good dry aged beef, but it doesn't carry through post-cook. and I've ribeyed, ny stripped, tenderloined, even skirt steaked, but...

dunno, I'm sure I'll buy another dry aged steak, but just ain't been feeling that poo poo. minds playin tricks on me.

The flavor certainly does carry through. You'll get a slight twang from good 45+ day dry aged beef, and a seriously intense beefy flavor.

I suggest dry aging your own beef, as most commercial places have too sterile of an environment, with little beneficial mold growth and whatnot. I sprinkle a little bactoferm on mine at work.

Also, do not drink the whole bottle of sake. It hurts so much in the morning and you chug a quart of cold brew.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

a seriously intense beefy flavor.

Yeah, this has been my experience. Haven't aged any steaks myself, though, so I might be biased because they were expensive meals.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Mmm, yum, aged steaks taste like rotting meat.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

therattle posted:

Mmm, yum, aged steaks taste like rotting meat.

Nah, putrefaction is a different process than autolysis and produces much different flavors.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

The flavor certainly does carry through. You'll get a slight twang from good 45+ day dry aged beef, and a seriously intense beefy flavor.

I suggest dry aging your own beef, as most commercial places have too sterile of an environment, with little beneficial mold growth and whatnot. I sprinkle a little bactoferm on mine at work.

Also, do not drink the whole bottle of sake. It hurts so much in the morning and you chug a quart of cold brew.

I trailed at an Italian steakhouse where they aged in house- it's goddamn seductive, I tells you.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

bartolimu posted:

Nah, putrefaction is a different process than autolysis and produces much different flavors.

I've had pheasant etc that has also been (like me) well hung, and it tastes like putrefaction to me. Autolysis in baking is adding water to flour before yeast and salt. What is the meaning in this context please? What's the difference between autolysis and rotting?

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

therattle posted:

I've had pheasant etc that has also been (like me) well hung, and it tastes like putrefaction to me. Autolysis in baking is adding water to flour before yeast and salt. What is the meaning in this context please? What's the difference between autolysis and rotting?

the difference between an amazing stilton or a horribly fuzzy block of irish cheddar

but for meat

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
Going to be in the Philly area in a week and a half or so. Any must-hit spots on a shoe-string budget? Looking for good, hole-in-the-wall type places.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Phummus posted:

Going to be in the Philly area in a week and a half or so. Any must-hit spots on a shoe-string budget? Looking for good, hole-in-the-wall type places.

Go to pats and genos, get a sub from both, cram em together and shove em in a garbage can and eat at Johns roast pork instead.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Pats and Genos are perfectly fine for tourists. :colbert:

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Roast Pork, definitely. John's is dope, and you can get a good one in Reading Terminal or on South 9th street where you can do the whole Italian Market.

The Franklin Mortgage and Exchange Company.

I never had a bad time at Distrito, used to live around the corner.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Squashy Nipples posted:

Maybe if you want them to never enjoy a good cheesesteak

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Squashy Nipples posted:

No! No. Bad Squashy. Bad opinion. Go literally anywhere else, or face the fact that you're human refuse eating processed god knows what and are super racist by transference.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

Not doing Pat's or Genos this time around. Hit those places last year (just took pictures of them...didn't eat there)

Reading terminal is on the list of places to visit.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Reading terminal is awesome. Spent a few hours there when we went to Philly to eat at Morimoto's.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Holy hell that's great

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

therattle posted:

Putrefaction is the action of decomposition bacteria on dead matter. Autolysis is cell self-breakdown through the internal release of digestive enzymes. It's not true self-digestion, but it does denature proteins and do some other fancy sciencey hand-wavy stuff I'm not truly qualified to talk about in detail.

I'm not super-familiar with the details, but as far as I know pheasant is hung at room temperature to age, right? Dry aging of beef is at fridge temperature to prevent putrefaction. It takes a long time (compared to pheasant hanging) because the lower temperature slows the enzymes like any chemical reaction.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Phummus posted:

I'm blanking on the name, but there's this corner shop that serves three items: doughnuts, fried to order; coffee, thin and acrid from a percolator; fried chicken, also made to order and with any of several sauces/toppings chosen for the day. It was totally worth the stop, and I'll see if I can dig up the name if no one else here knows what I'm talking about.

Edit: it was actually just standard diner drip coffee, but yeah

Hauki fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 19, 2015

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

What are the wormy things?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

puffed wild rice

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

bloody ghost titty posted:

No! No. Bad Squashy. Bad opinion. Go literally anywhere else, or face the fact that you're human refuse eating processed god knows what and are super racist by transference.

Maybe he's into that sort of thing.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I stand by my statement: there is no One True Philly cheesesteak, no matter what people tell you. While the P&G steaks are quite different from the various (and yes, better) cheesesteaks you can get in Philly, they are just fine for tourists.

If it weren't for Pat's and Geno's, that part of Philly would have just about zero tourist traffic.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

And nothing of value would be lost

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

bartolimu posted:

Putrefaction is the action of decomposition bacteria on dead matter. Autolysis is cell self-breakdown through the internal release of digestive enzymes. It's not true self-digestion, but it does denature proteins and do some other fancy sciencey hand-wavy stuff I'm not truly qualified to talk about in detail.

I'm not super-familiar with the details, but as far as I know pheasant is hung at room temperature to age, right? Dry aging of beef is at fridge temperature to prevent putrefaction. It takes a long time (compared to pheasant hanging) because the lower temperature slows the enzymes like any chemical reaction.

Cool, thank you for the explanation. Yes, I think pheasant is hung at room temp which is indeed different.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Casu Marzu posted:

And nothing of value would be lost

LOL! Is this a lame attempt to troll me?

The tourism industry in Philly is of enormous economic value. Pulling a number out of my rear end, it's at least a few hundred million dollars a year.

And those tourists need someplace to eat, ya know?

EDIT: oops, off by a LOT!

quote:

Visitors to Greater Philadelphia generated $26 million a day in economic impact in 2011 and
a total of $9.3 billion for the year. Visitors to Greater Philadelphia support 86,000 full-time jobs.

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 19, 2015

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Squashy Nipples posted:

LOL! Is this a lame attempt to troll me?

The tourism industry in Philly is of enormous economic value. Pulling a number out of my rear end, it's at least a few hundred million dollars a year.

And those tourists need someplace to eat, ya know?

EDIT: oops, off by a LOT!

that seemed more like a troll on Philly than on you.

LOL!

that was a troll on you, see the difference?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Philly is trolling us all by existing.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Hauki posted:

I'm blanking on the name, but there's this corner shop that serves three items: doughnuts, fried to order; coffee, thin and acrid from a percolator; fried chicken, also made to order and with any of several sauces/toppings chosen for the day. It was totally worth the stop, and I'll see if I can dig up the name if no one else here knows what I'm talking about.

Edit: it was actually just standard diner drip coffee, but yeah

Federal Doughnuts

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

East coasters sure are touchy :allears:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

For lol's sake, here was the laughably vegetarian version:

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

Casu Marzu posted:

East coasters sure are touchy :allears:

We get arrested for being feely, so its the only option left to us.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

mediaphage posted:

For lol's sake, here was the laughably vegetarian version:

which, now that i look at it, really appears to be a giant square rock smashing some sort of tiny animal.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
It looks like a piece of school cafeteria cornbread with maggots on it.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

i have 5# of ground yak in the fridge. gonna burg hard

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Skinny King Pimp posted:

It looks like a piece of school cafeteria cornbread with maggots on it.

so a piece of school cafeteria cornbread.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

My fellow maggots wouldn't even touch school cornbread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

hey man it only has actual maggots like 60% of the time, so I felt I needed to clarify