Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
GMG just sent emails saying they're sorry about not having enough keys for witcher 3 immediately. Had no issues myself but got a 40% gift code

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

So every Bethesda game ever wasn't open world to you? :psyduck:

Loading screens when accessing a building is fine, I guess.

Like I said, it doesn't matter but loads of reviews conveniently didn't mention the loading between areas.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid

Xavier434 posted:

Open world to me means that I can wander around just about where ever I please and complete objectives in the order that I see fit for the most part. It means that exploration is heavily emphasized and that things like the main quest line is not on rails and can even be ignored to a degree like Elder Scrolls games. I have not played Witcher 3 yet but I am tempted to pick it up. I was not a fan of Witcher 1 or 2 beyond the story which was very good. Would most of you describe its world like this?

You can do side quests as you see fit and wander around wherever you want in the areas you've unlocked (which are quite large), but it appears you're going to have to do the main quest to open up new areas. I say 'appears' because I only recently cleared the prequel/tutorial map. Someone who's gotten farther will have to elaborate on that.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

WastedJoker posted:

Not requiring me to see a loading screen between areas?

It doesn't matter, I guess, but it's weird how much the open world-ness was advertised.

It's basically a handful of enormous open world areas with a few smaller locations. For me, the relatively rare load between maps is offset by the fact that you can walk into buildings and caves without a transition. Keep in mind that in stuff like Skyrim you also get miniature loads as you cross invisible borders between certain areas.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WastedJoker posted:

Like I said, it doesn't matter but loads of reviews conveniently didn't mention the loading between areas.

Loading times between large areas is generally not considered "not open world" to anyone. A lot of large open world games have loading times between areas. The ones that don't instead have loading times for anywhere of any significance outside of the main area.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

WastedJoker posted:

Loading screens when accessing a building is fine, I guess.

The main area is loving huge. Think of it like Fallout 3 or Skyrim's expansions where you have to get a boat to go to a different area, but they're already in the game from the start.

Also I'm pretty sure the dev who posts here said they could have made that islands map a part of the main one but it would take ages of sailing to get there.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

ImpAtom posted:

Loading times between large areas is generally not considered "not open world" to anyone. A lot of large open world games have loading times between areas. The ones that don't instead have loading times for anywhere of any significant outside of the main area.

GTA DOESN'T WHEN YOU RUN AROUND AND THEREFORE

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

WastedJoker posted:

Not requiring me to see a loading screen between areas?

It doesn't matter, I guess, but it's weird how much the open world-ness was advertised.

I'm guessing the definition you're looking for is "Seamless world"?
Yeah, that wouldn't be possible with this game, as it takes part in a bunch of drastically different parts of the game world.

Doesn't really bother me much though, as each open area seems absolutely massive. I'd say Velen by itself it's bigger than the map in some other open world games.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Xavier434 posted:

Open world to me means that I can wander around just about where ever I please and complete objectives in the order that I see fit for the most part. It means that exploration is heavily emphasized and that things like the main quest line is not on rails and can even be ignored to a degree like Elder Scrolls games. I have not played Witcher 3 yet but I am tempted to pick it up. I was not a fan of Witcher 1 or 2 beyond the story which was very good. Would most of you describe its world like this?

Somewhat, monsters have fixed levels so certain areas will be tough unless you want to break a sword on their face and chip away. Fortunately the harder fights are largely optional, being out of the way and not related to NPC quests. Exploring as much as possible is how you'll get blueprints for good gear and materials to make them and being overgeared is just as desirable as getting as much xp as you can.

Overall the wide expanses reminds me of Red Dead Redemption but the effort to place activities everywhere is like Guild Wars 2, however you need to be on top of your combat game if you want to pick a direction and ride there. Fighting enemies half a dozen levels above you is a surefire way to lose weapon durability quickly.

Rubicon
Dec 16, 2005
Al bisogno si conosce l'amico
Where can I find Emerald dust?

I ended up buying one and making the steel sword, but would like to make the silver sword without buying another one.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Rubicon posted:

Where can I find Emerald dust?

I ended up buying one and making the steel sword, but would like to make the silver sword without buying another one.

Wraiths drop it pretty frequently, there's two wraith-haunted places of power in the first area.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Delacroix posted:

Somewhat, monsters have fixed levels so certain areas will be tough unless you want to break a sword on their face and chip away. Fortunately the harder fights are largely optional, being out of the way and not related to NPC quests. Exploring as much as possible is how you'll get blueprints for good gear and materials to make them and being overgeared is just as desirable as getting as much xp as you can.

Overall the wide expanses reminds me of Red Dead Redemption but the effort to place activities everywhere is like Guild Wars 2, however you need to be on top of your combat game if you want to pick a direction and ride there. Fighting enemies half a dozen levels above you is a surefire way to lose weapon durability quickly.

This sounds good. Speaking of combat, is this the kind of game where I can take down enemies that clearly outgun me through general gaming twitch combat reflexes (timing dodge roles, blocks, iframes, etc) or am I generally expected to soak enough damage where this sort of thing is nearly impossible?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Xavier434 posted:

This sounds good. Speaking of combat, is this the kind of game where I can take down enemies that clearly outgun me through general gaming twitch combat reflexes (timing dodge roles, blocks, iframes, etc) or am I generally expected to soak enough damage where this sort of thing is nearly impossible?

Depends on the level. If you're good you can dodge almost everything, but it'll take ages to grind down mobs that are way too high level for you(The world seems decently paced for this, I've only run into two or three enemies that were "??" for me).
It's more than possible to fight mobs that are 5-10 levels above you though, but it takes some quick reflexes and patience.

Edit: If you're sneaky, you can usually also manage to snag treasures that are guarded by high level monsters without having to fight them. You won't get the loot from the monsters themselves then, obviously.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 15:18 on May 20, 2015

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

For those asking about bomb materials, very early on if you do the noonwraith sidequest in the abandoned village you can then go to the herbalist from the main questline and she'll give you a bunch of crafting materials which include the stuff you need for a bomb. No idea why you can only craft 2 bombs at a time though??

I have a more general question about countering - while I get the general timing of it, and the red flash on an enemy name is typically a good indicator of when to press L2, are there certain attacks that can't be countered? I've noticed that the bandits who have two handed axes seem to be impossible to counter? Has anyone managed it or are you just supposed to not bother?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bubbapook posted:

For those asking about bomb materials, very early on if you do the noonwraith sidequest in the abandoned village you can then go to the herbalist from the main questline and she'll give you a bunch of crafting materials which include the stuff you need for a bomb. No idea why you can only craft 2 bombs at a time though??

I have a more general question about countering - while I get the general timing of it, and the red flash on an enemy name is typically a good indicator of when to press L2, are there certain attacks that can't be countered? I've noticed that the bandits who have two handed axes seem to be impossible to counter? Has anyone managed it or are you just supposed to not bother?

Heavy attacks (which the axes seem to be) appear entirely uncounterable to me. Maybe the timing is just really tight but "you can't parry strong attacks" is pretty sound game logic so I'm betting that is it.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Broken Cog posted:

Depends on the level. If you're good you can dodge almost everything, but it'll take ages to grind down mobs that are way too high level for you(The world seems decently paced for this, I've only run into two or three enemies that were "??" for me).
It's more than possible to fight mobs that are 5-10 levels above you though, but it takes some quick reflexes and patience.

Edit: If you're sneaky, you can usually also manage to snag treasures that are guarded by high level monsters without having to fight them. You won't get the loot from the monsters themselves then, obviously.

Very cool. Ok, one last combat question. I have watched the videos but I am having trouble really understanding how much weight there is to the combat. It looks like you are locked into many of your animations which I like to a degree, but I am not so sure about the knock back animations that enemies experience when you hit them. How does that feel? Does it feel like you are mostly swinging through them or is there some real weight behind the impact? Also, can I break any combat animations in order to perform a dodge roll or block?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

bubbapook posted:

The idea is that the bombs replenish when you meditate (just like potions and oils) as long as you have alcohol in your inventory. That way you only need to collect the materials once.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Broken Cog posted:

Skull-level stuff is pretty easily managed on Hard with the right prep and/or setup. 3/3 first tier Axii plus normal Yrden plus alt Yrden and a bucket of Tawny Owl + some crossbow bolts can make short work of most early-game threats.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

WastedJoker posted:

Bit strange that the game has been hyped as open world when it isn't.

The game has zones. It's still open world.

Crappers
Jun 16, 2012
As a big fan of the music in the previous games I just had to pop in and say the soundtrack is loving great.

Currently doing every side quest I can get my hands on (the one's that aren't level 20+) and wholly poo poo I'm going to be playing this game forever. The fact that every quest actually has some story and character to it is just the icing on the cake. And to extend my play time even further I have a tendency to walk slowly a lot of the time (particularly in towns/ruins/points of interest) so I can soak up the atmosphere.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Arglebargle III posted:

Swimming in chainmail is unrealistically difficult, immersion ruined.

This is a terrible reply. It's a game. People's most-lodged complaint thus far seems to be that they hate Geralt's wide berth movement, etc. Realism at the sacrifice of fun is never a good idea.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Deaderinred posted:

she got mentioned alot during flashbacks and stuff in witcher 2.

Are you confusing Ciri with Yennefer? I do not remember Ciri being mentioned at all.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Cephalocidal posted:

Skull-level stuff is pretty easily managed on Hard with the right prep and/or setup. 3/3 first tier Axii plus normal Yrden plus alt Yrden and a bucket of Tawny Owl + some crossbow bolts can make short work of most early-game threats.

I'm somewhat unconvinced that this would work on the skull-level Cockatrice I ran into.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Falcon24 posted:

Some main story spoiler questions, specifically re: the Velen main questline and later when you first get to Novigrad:

In the sidequest to rescue the Bloody Baron's wife, is there any conceivable way to get a positive ending there? I got to the swamp village, the crones had turned his wife into a water hag, I found the right doll and broke the spell, but she still died and then the Baron hung himself in grief. It was implied that she was turned into a monster as punishment for letting the children escape which seems to only happen if you free the tree spirit. Is there a different outcome if you kill the spirit and go along with what the crones ask?

For Novigrad, is the game at all different if you choose a different ending for the Witcher 2? Radovid is apparently a huge prick and his witch hunters are just going around murdering sorceresses, and I seem to recall that the big pogrom against magic users at the end of the second game doesn't happen if you go to rescue Triss. I know this is the Witcher universe and everything sucks but it was really lovely to walk into Novigrad and see that nice sorceress lady from Loc Muinne get burned at the stake.

Anyway this game owns and is everything I ever wanted.

If you side with the Crones in the first mission, she goes crazy and the Baron takes her off to the Blue Mountains instead. The daughter looks really conflicted. Haven't gotten any further than Novigrad so maybe there's a resolution there

Radovid really hates Mages. Blame Philippa Eilhart, it's mostly her fault.

turtlecrunch posted:

Are you confusing Ciri with Yennefer? I do not remember Ciri being mentioned at all.

She gets mentioned in glossary pages and in book-fanservice hints during Dandelion's really boring pre-act storyline. She is "His Forgotten Child".

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 20, 2015

Rubicon
Dec 16, 2005
Al bisogno si conosce l'amico

Cephalocidal posted:

Wraiths drop it pretty frequently, there's two wraith-haunted places of power in the first area.

drat, looks like I'm s.o.l for now. I've killed both of them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The biggest movement complaint I have is that you can fall like three inches before you lose a huge chunk of health. Seriously, I am waiting for the reveal that all Witchers have ankles made of fragile glass or something.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
One of the story bosses has a ledge about four feet above its arena just to trim your health a bit more. However if you press your jump key while in the air, Geralt will roll when he lands and doesn't lose health, or as much health. I only know this because someone else said it here, if there was a tutorial I probably missed it while mashing X to go faster or w/e.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

For anyone wondering this runs juust acceptably on my i7 4710hq and gtx 860m. Slightly above 30 framerates at medium/low settings.

Also it is a very good game and still looks quite nice. I can't help but wonder how great is must look with everything cranked.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Is there is no ingame way to take screenshots on PC? And usual print screen button doesn't work either for some reason.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

The biggest movement complaint I have is that you can fall like three inches before you lose a huge chunk of health. Seriously, I am waiting for the reveal that all Witchers have ankles made of fragile glass or something.

This is really bugging me because I'm playing on Blood and Broken Bones. Restoring vitality requires me to spend resources, always. Why am I taking like 800 damage because I fell a distance that would at most cause me (a pretty average human) minor discomfort in real life?

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Andrast posted:

The idea is that the bombs replenish when you meditate (just like potions and oils) as long as you have alcohol in your inventory. That way you only need to collect the materials once.

Wait........what? I started on "Blood" difficulty and it told me that meditating doesn't give me vitality so I just totally ignored it. What does it actually do? Perhaps I haven't gotten far enough into the game for it to explain it.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
You really want to do the side quests, or at the very least the ? on the map. A *lot* of those are power shrines that give you ability points!

More ability points more badassness!

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

turtlecrunch posted:

nope, ciri gets mentioned, its rare and its mostly during the flashbacks when he starts to get his memory back, geralt mentions ciri left the world after teleporting yen and geralt to that sex tree magic place. there are a few other places, its more than the mentioning in witcher 1 but its rare enough that you could forget about it.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
ok, I guess my idea of open world was not correct :argh:

Also, I have been far too scared to explore at night :ohdear:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Deaderinred posted:

geralt mentions ciri left the world after teleporting yen and geralt to that sex tree magic place

Oh. She's so considerate...

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

How are people liking Sign-heavy builds this time around? It appears that's what I've started to work towards, though I'm only level 4 so it's not like I've made any real commitments yet. I went heavy into Alchemy in The Witcher 2, but Signs seem more exciting this time around.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

How are people liking Sign-heavy builds this time around? It appears that's what I've started to work towards, though I'm only level 4 so it's not like I've made any real commitments yet. I went heavy into Alchemy in The Witcher 2, but Signs seem more exciting this time around.

I'm really big on signs so far but I'm not too much further than you. Stamina replenishes so quickly even by default and signs are so powerful without the heavy resource consumption of alchemy that I don't see myself not going full mage unless it starts sucking hard later on.

I wish the quick magic swap wasn't so awkward because I like swapping in combat more than pause-choose-unpause.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
So is there an actual difference between light/medium/heavy armor other than different inventory load and protection stats? There doesn't seem to be any affect on speed or maneuverability and I'm perfectly willing to not be able to grab quite so many rusty swords and hatchets in return for better protection because I just found a few heavy armor pieces.

Solartide
Oct 3, 2013

by XyloJW

funkymonks posted:

On PC is there a button I can press to exit completely out of inventory menus all the way? Using Escape just makes me go back one menu so sometimes I have to hammer it three or four times to get back to the game.

I had this problem too. Press I to open inventory, and I again to close it with one button, same with map, M to open, M to close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010

Gobblecoque posted:

So is there an actual difference between light/medium/heavy armor other than different inventory load and protection stats? There doesn't seem to be any affect on speed or maneuverability and I'm perfectly willing to not be able to grab quite so many rusty swords and hatchets in return for better protection because I just found a few heavy armor pieces.

There are abilities you can take with an ability point for each kind of armor; light gives you fast attack damage and I think adrenaline bonuses, medium gives you sign intensity and stamina regen in combat, and I forget what heavy does but it's probably strong attack damage or something.