Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Oyster posted:

My team lead sent that to everyone except the person it was about.
So you could all laugh at him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I saw this and immediately thought of all you guys.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
The IBM HMC that our iSeries and AIX machine is set up on froze up over the weekend. The iSeries guy rebooted the HMC but it comes up to a blank background and doesn't accept any key combo that he could find to get a console up.. any ideas? I think I have the manual buried in the previous admins stuff he left behind but really have no experience with HMC and how it is set up. The one thing I found on google is that there could be issues if we have to reinstall it and don't know how the LPARS are set up.

Also if our AIX system goes down there would be no way to get it back up without the HMC :v:

Fun times

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah call IBM and bend over.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Danith posted:

The IBM HMC that our iSeries and AIX machine is set up on froze up over the weekend. The iSeries guy rebooted the HMC but it comes up to a blank background and doesn't accept any key combo that he could find to get a console up.. any ideas? I think I have the manual buried in the previous admins stuff he left behind but really have no experience with HMC and how it is set up. The one thing I found on google is that there could be issues if we have to reinstall it and don't know how the LPARS are set up.

Also if our AIX system goes down there would be no way to get it back up without the HMC :v:

Fun times
Your LPARs live on the managed systems, not on the HMC. The HMC just manages the hardware.

Maniaman
Mar 3, 2006
I was so excited ago when I finally got my first "please do the needful" ticket.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Aunt Beth posted:

Your LPARs live on the managed systems, not on the HMC. The HMC just manages the hardware.

Correct, all your VM's or LPARS are probably still running but I'm not sure if it's just that easy to simply plug-in another HMC.

You should be able to find something on IBM's Knowledge Center but honestly I'd call IBM before touching anything.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

TopherCStone posted:

I think it's just supposed to be a cute play on their company name, they were probably aware of that

I was thinking more along the lines of tumblr exists and the floods of "RAWR! Appropriation!"

But maybe I'm overestimating tumblr's toxic reach since I see a disproportionate amount here (that gets made fun of).

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Tab8715 posted:

Correct, all your VM's or LPARS are probably still running but I'm not sure if it's just that easy to simply plug-in another HMC.

You should be able to find something on IBM's Knowledge Center but honestly I'd call IBM before touching anything.

Definitely call IBM before messing with anything. Support should at least be able to point you to the correct documentation or maybe even walk you through the process of a restore to a new HMC. Losing an HMC shouldn't break your existing LPARs now, but it's certainly possible to break something in the process of restoring your HMC from backup. (You DO have current backups of the HMC configs, right? Right?? :ohdear: )

If you're running an AIX shop with no AIX experience and no IBM support contract, then it's probably time to :yotj: voluntarily ASAP before you experience an RGE (assuming it's not too late already).

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Nobody got fire for calling ibm support on out of warrenty server.....Then presenting the quote to management...then management talking about going to the cloud....then discussing cloud solutions to migrate away from the failing ibm server....then realizing you still need to pay to have it fixed before you could fruitlessly investigate to see see if you could migrate it....but you can't.....because you bought an ibm server.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

flosofl posted:

I was thinking more along the lines of tumblr exists and the floods of "RAWR! Appropriation!"

But maybe I'm overestimating tumblr's toxic reach since I see a disproportionate amount here (that gets made fun of).

You are, there aren't that many 14 year olds here.

chyaroh
Aug 8, 2007
...but luckily not for me. We're in the middle of a campus wide network failure for the last hour or so. Phones, email, everything down. This will be fun for someone!

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

dennyk posted:

Definitely call IBM before messing with anything. Support should at least be able to point you to the correct documentation or maybe even walk you through the process of a restore to a new HMC. Losing an HMC shouldn't break your existing LPARs now, but it's certainly possible to break something in the process of restoring your HMC from backup. (You DO have current backups of the HMC configs, right? Right?? :ohdear: )

If you're running an AIX shop with no AIX experience and no IBM support contract, then it's probably time to :yotj: voluntarily ASAP before you experience an RGE (assuming it's not too late already).

If he has software support they should be able to remote in and get him started restoring whatever but in all honestly you really ought to have a DR-Plan in place. Restoring a Power System isn't nearly as cut and dry as x86 and there a lot of small gotcha's here and there.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:
A ticket came in...from our storage support. The customer's account team has one of their engineers on site and not only called into the front desk but - as I wasn't surprised about - didn't seem to know much bout setting up what he was to install but super basics. I got brought in because they needed OS level help on the server end.
The iSCSI interfaces weren't even setup and he was trying to disable something that was by default disabled and was at defaults.
EDIT - To be clear: the account team and the onsite engineer are all also part of our company.

EDIT2 - shoot, on the topic of printers, reminded me of a fun ticket I had a couple of years ago.
"I was told by sales that I can just get the newest system and I shouldn't have to get anything else! Where's the printer port and fax port!"
In TYOL 2013 someone still using LPT printers and fax modems cards, and of course either sales didn't ask and customer didnt' tell, or sales didn't care.

Lightning Jim fucked around with this message at 14:48 on May 20, 2015

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Maniaman posted:

I was so excited ago when I finally got my first "please do the needful" ticket.

I missed my opportunity to say that to someone in a chat support thing yesterday. I was on my 3rd different chat operator trying to get some info from Comcast. I was talking to LEAH (who called me after not understanding and had an Indian accent) when she asked if I wanted her to transfer me to someone else who might know the answer I was looking for.

I typed in "Please do" and hit enter. Then I realized that I should have added "the needful" to it but it was too late.

Edit: I should write up that adventure in the poo poo that's pissing me off thread but it hurts my brain to even try to remember it all. I wrote it up in the other thread.

Trastion fucked around with this message at 17:23 on May 20, 2015

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Danith posted:

Fun times

You totally had a backup of your HMC, right? Riiight?

Could you connect to the HMC's web interface even though the console itself didn't come up? Try https://your.hmc.ip.here/hmc/connect , that should bring up the same console you'd see from the machine directly.

The issues with unsaved configs is that the HMC configures things like how much RAM or how many CPU cores each partition has, as well as stuff like virtual Ethernet cards or vSwitches that might connect different partitions on the same physical machine. So if you didn't remember any of that stuff you'd have to set it up from scratch. The HMC itself going down won't mess with your iseries, the only problem will be if you had to shut a partition or the entire machine down (Or someone ran a pwrdwnsys command without the automatic reboot flag set to Y :v: ) you'd have no way to power it back up later.

e: If the HMC has a DVD-RAM drive (It probably does), it might be worth checking if it's got a backup disc (Or hell the OS disc) sitting in there- Based on my knowledge of crusty old idiot IBM power admins, they frequently just have the HMC run backups to the same disk over and over and never even take it out of the drive :negative:

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 15:37 on May 20, 2015

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

spankmeister posted:

If your only plus over this guy is "does not smell" you might have a hard time

I have a bit more than that. He doesn't have a computer background at all and it shows. For example, we've had issues with a particular model printing pdf's that come from specific websites. It would begin processing the job, crash, reboot, begin processing again, and crash again. He was convinced that a virus had gotten into the hard drive of the machine in each occurrence even though it most commonly occurred when printing the employee discount page from Verizon. I finally connected the dots, upgraded the firmware, problem solved, much easier than calling each HD dead. There are far more examples.

Lightning Jim posted:

In TYOL 2013 someone still using LPT printers and fax modems cards, and of course either sales didn't ask and customer didnt' tell, or sales didn't care.

Fax cards are still huge. I work at a major hospital and every machine requires a fax card. LPT, not so much.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Maniaman posted:

I recently got my first "Please advise" ticket.

I hate that almost as much as ASAP.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I recently got my first "Please advise" ticket.

I hate that almost as much as ASAP.

Please advise is by far my least favorite thing to see in emails or tickets. I don't even really know why, it's just really loving obnoxious and poo poo the gently caress don't use that god damned phrase jesus christ.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Gwaihir posted:

Please advise is by far my least favorite thing to see in emails or tickets. I don't even really know why, it's just really loving obnoxious and poo poo the gently caress don't use that god damned phrase jesus christ.

I feel there's an implication to the use of "please advise" that is pretty much "You did this intentionally or were too incompetent to prevent it."

Danith
May 20, 2006

Gwaihir posted:

You totally had a backup of your HMC, right? Riiight?

Could you connect to the HMC's web interface even though the console itself didn't come up? Try https://your.hmc.ip.here/hmc/connect , that should bring up the same console you'd see from the machine directly.

The issues with unsaved configs is that the HMC configures things like how much RAM or how many CPU cores each partition has, as well as stuff like virtual Ethernet cards or vSwitches that might connect different partitions on the same physical machine. So if you didn't remember any of that stuff you'd have to set it up from scratch. The HMC itself going down won't mess with your iseries, the only problem will be if you had to shut a partition or the entire machine down (Or someone ran a pwrdwnsys command without the automatic reboot flag set to Y :v: ) you'd have no way to power it back up later.

e: If the HMC has a DVD-RAM drive (It probably does), it might be worth checking if it's got a backup disc (Or hell the OS disc) sitting in there- Based on my knowledge of crusty old idiot IBM power admins, they frequently just have the HMC run backups to the same disk over and over and never even take it out of the drive :negative:

Thanks for all the help. Now that I'm here the console seems to be up and "working" so not sure what the iseries guy was talking about. Seems the only problem is ETH0 isn't initializing (has up assigned and config looks fine but isn't showing up when I list the network interface status), and it won't bring up a console session to the iseries for some reason, you click the open shared 5250 session and nothing happens

justlysarcastic
Feb 22, 2010

no words necessary

Gwaihir posted:

At my company, everyone uses "Please advise" for ... everything :( Everyone on my team all has to too, since it's the only thing everyone we deal with understands for whatever reason.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Gwaihir posted:

justlysarcastic posted:

At my company, everyone uses "Please advise" for ... everything :( Everyone on my team all has to too, since it's the only thing everyone we deal with understands for whatever reason.
Holy f'n s'balls, I hate this f'n phrase.

Team, please advise. Team, please advise on alert received. Team, please advise.

Jesus christ dude.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Inspector_666 posted:

I feel there's an implication to the use of "please advise" that is pretty much "You did this intentionally or were too incompetent to prevent it."

I use it very rarely and that is precisely why/when I use it.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

I put "thoughts?" in for where your average person puts "please advise".

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Nerdrock posted:

I put "thoughts?" in for where your average person puts "please advise".
I love "thoughts?" Come work with me

justlysarcastic
Feb 22, 2010

no words necessary
I try to make "please advise" look as much like a request for actual advisement as I can, since I'm more or less stuck using it. Like "Please advise if A or B is the better choice in this situation" kind of thing. Lots of people use it like an accusation though and it drives me nuts. "I screwed something up and now all my share drives need to be re-mapped but this is somehow your fault. Please advise."

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Three, count 'em *THREE* loving cryptowall infections in 2 weeks. First one, fine, it was like 12 hours old and AV definitions hadn't updated. Caught it early, only had to restore 3 folders. Second one, same infection, "Oh whoops we forgot to put Kaspersky on that VM Host tee hee". Third one, just now, "Oh, you mean you wanted AV on *ALL* the VM hosts? That's a lot of AV, it'll probably have like, performance impact". Because you know, losing hours to recovering encrypted files == no loving performance impact, you knobs.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
"Please advise" has its place, mostly as a shorter alternative to "How do you want me to handle this?" I also used it the other day to respond to a meeting invite sent to me for a day I was on vacation.

I would also regard it as charmingly understated text accompanying, say, a picture of a flooded server room.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Salesperson opens snarky ticket about email on iPhone/iPad not working. No Exchange issues, cannot replicate.

Salesperson updates ticket saying they can now no longer access OWA, leaves building.

When they came back, I went and coached them thru logging onto OWA, works fine. Turns out that they were unable to add the Exchange Account with the error that the account already existed. Watched this happen twice before insisting we look at accounts on the iPhone. The account is there, but mail is disabled. Enabled mail, inbox was full in seconds.

Closed ticket.

:sigh:

Danith
May 20, 2006

justlysarcastic posted:

I try to make "please advise" look as much like a request for actual advisement as I can, since I'm more or less stuck using it. Like "Please advise if A or B is the better choice in this situation" kind of thing....

I tried this once and got back "yes"

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Danith posted:

Thanks for all the help. Now that I'm here the console seems to be up and "working" so not sure what the iseries guy was talking about. Seems the only problem is ETH0 isn't initializing (has up assigned and config looks fine but isn't showing up when I list the network interface status), and it won't bring up a console session to the iseries for some reason, you click the open shared 5250 session and nothing happens

Well that shouldn't be too hard an issue to deal with- Unless your HMC is like 5+ years old, it probably has quad ethernet ports, and even if it does only have two ports, you can always pop in a standalone ethernet card- it's just a normal X86 machine.

Eth0 is probably the assigned connection to your system's service processors. (It is on mine at least- Eth0 is connected to a switch in the iseries rack, has a static 192.168.x IP address, and the only other thing plugged in to those switches are the system service processors. This is the connection it's going to try and open a 5250 console with. Eth1 is the management connection to my main server network.)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Danith posted:

I tried this once and got back "yes"

I get this all the loving time from clients and co workers and project managers.

One of our PMs also really likes to just repeat my questions back to me.

Me: Hey do you know what happened to the modem at CLIENT's old office?
PM: Modem?

:psyduck:

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 20, 2015

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Yes

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

please advise. not actually mine.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

flosofl posted:

Ah, good point. You probably are overestimating their reach, and use of the symbol goes back far enough beyond the black power movement that I hope even the dumbest tumblr user would realize there isn't much of a stink to be made. Maybe I'm just too naive though :v:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

For me 'Please advise' is a more professional way of saying 'something hosed up in this process, and I can't see what, now what the gently caress do I do?'

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Nerdrock posted:

please advise. not actually mine.

Ah yes, the old flood the server room to distract from how bad your cable management is ploy.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

RFC2324 posted:

For me 'Please advise' is a more professional way of saying 'something hosed up in this process, and I can't see what, now what the gently caress do I do?'

It never comes off professionally to me though, it always has the other implication of WHY DOESNT THIS WORK YOU SHOULD FIX IT PEON.

I probably see it most often in the simplest tickets, which is why I have such immediate feelings of rage for it. Stuff like "Hi, the AS400 shows MYUSERACCOUNT CANNOT SIGN ON when I try and sign on. Please advise."

As if it just happened, out of the blue, through no action of their own, rather than loving up their password enough times to lock the account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Gwaihir posted:

Well that shouldn't be too hard an issue to deal with- Unless your HMC is like 5+ years old, it probably has quad ethernet ports, and even if it does only have two ports, you can always pop in a standalone ethernet card- it's just a normal X86 machine.

Eth0 is probably the assigned connection to your system's service processors. (It is on mine at least- Eth0 is connected to a switch in the iseries rack, has a static 192.168.x IP address, and the only other thing plugged in to those switches are the system service processors. This is the connection it's going to try and open a 5250 console with. Eth1 is the management connection to my main server network.)

From what I remember there's two ETHs for the Service Processor or ASMI interface.

• Locked thread